Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Adventure lacks the creativity, originality, and pride that imagineers used to display.The way I see it, if I'm going to go to Calif. to see Calif., I'll see the real stuff, but If I go to Disneyland I want to see the stuff dreams are made of. I think the park can be fixed however. I figure the best way to save California Adventure, is to rebuild. With the current rides, buildings, and potential expansion land, CA could be turned into a DisneySea park. Some of the rides already have a counterpart in Tokyo, ToT, Jumpin Jellyfish, etc. Other CA attractions could be modified, Soarin to match Lost River Delta, the entrance could even remain with a San Francisco theme, the possiblities are endless. With some imagination, and unfortunately lots of money, this park could be converted into a 5-star attraction in no time!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

Originally posted by kevdo
      I'd retheme The Bay Area and Condor Flats areas to become a larger Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. With Soarin' this is very doable and I'd tear out the movie theatre in BA and replace it with some sort of "nature" themed ride.

For HPBL - use the space vacated by Millionaire, SSL, and Hollywood and Dine to build a new D or preferrably E ticket ride. Rockin' Roller Coaster might fit thematically. No, a Monsters Inc. overlay on SSL is not what the doctor ordered.

For Paradise Pier, I'd replace the Orange Stinger and Jumpin Jellyfish with something that either a) smaller kids can ride or b) something more exciting. Preferrably something that isn't a cycle ride. It might be cool to add some sort of boat ride on the lake.

Would love to see a Gold Rush themed POTC-type ride. Not sure where they could physically fit in the park (since it would thematically work best near Grizzly Peak).
      I love those ideas. Especialy the POTC type ride. That could really be something with today's technology. As far as rockin' rollercoaster. It was reported on my board, a long while back, that when they installed the electric circuits (or whatever they are called) for tot, that they also installed enough for Rockin' Rollercoaster, or another large E ticket ride. Does anyone have info that confirms or denies this? If that is true then there may already be plans for another huge attraction in the works. Something original to DL would be better than another clone, but I'll take RR anyday!
      Visit Disney Nuts today!

Comment

They should have the Monorail stop in DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by Niyxstyx
          California Adventure lacks the creativity, originality, and pride that imagineers used to display.The way I see it, if I'm going to go to Calif. to see Calif., I'll see the real stuff, but If I go to Disneyland I want to see the stuff dreams are made of. I think the park can be fixed however. I figure the best way to save California Adventure, is to rebuild. With the current rides, buildings, and potential expansion land, CA could be turned into a DisneySea park. Some of the rides already have a counterpart in Tokyo, ToT, Jumpin Jellyfish, etc. Other CA attractions could be modified, Soarin to match Lost River Delta, the entrance could even remain with a San Francisco theme, the possiblities are endless. With some imagination, and unfortunately lots of money, this park could be converted into a 5-star attraction in no time!
          no, Disney should save the DisneySea ideas for a third gate

if you tried to rebuild DCA into something totaly different like that you would end up with the park looking uglier and the whole theme would be conviluted

the best thing Disney can do is work through the California theme in some imaginative and exciting ways
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

I don't necessarily hate DCA but I don't love it either. One issue that just can't stand is the lack of shade. You have these enormous walk ways around the park with benches every what? Two feet :confused: but no shade. Maybe that will come in time who knows. It really annoys me. I can not stand the games area in Paradise Pier! They need to remove those ASAP.

I'm sure eventually the park will be fixed to a certain extent but it will never have the full "Disney magic" that other parks have. I just think it's too far gone. I will say this, they did a great job with the food I love the dinning choices at DCA much more then Disneyland.
            Last edited by Disguy; 01-19-2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disguy
              I will say this, they did a great job with the food I love they dinning choices at DCA much more then Disneyland.
              I agree, the food is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Disguy
                I don't necessarily hate DCA but I don't love it either. One issue that just can't stand is the lack of shade. You have these enormous walk ways around the park with benches every what? Two feet :confused: but no shade. Maybe that will come in time who knows. It really annoys me. I can not stand the games area in Paradise Pier! They need to remove those ASAP.

I'm sure eventually the park will be fixed to a certain extent but it will never have the full "Disney magic" that other parks have. I just think it's too far gone. I will say this, they did a great job with the food I love they dinning choices at DCA much more then Disneyland.
                I agree that the carny games are really annoying and I don't ever see anyone getting that excited over them. They don't compare to arcades or the shooting gallery.

I think the ideas to bring DCA some historically themed rides would help big time. Instead of pirates why don't they do a big E-ticket ride themed around Zorro? Or they could do a live action Zorro stunt show. They need to pick a theme though instead of just throwing the Pixar rides in that aren't that imaginative and don't have anything to do with CA.

Comment

Yes, it can be saved. And yes, it will take forever. The main thing that needs to be replaced is the cheapo section, aka the Warf and San Franscisco. Add more shows and rides there.
                  ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Comment

Does anyone remember the article that Al Lutz wrote a long time ago back when he was still at mouse planet when he did an article about changing DCA into a Disney's America? And yes, it can be done! He brings up some interesting ideas in that one. I'll post a link in a couple of minuites.
                    Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

Comment

Here's the link:

http://www./dca/america.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                        I agree, the food is good.
                        More importantly, they serve alcohol there. That's the only ticket to enjoying that park right there.

Comment

Originally posted by innerSpaceman
                          More importantly, they serve alcohol there. That's the only ticket to enjoying that park right there.
                          For Ralphie, it's the only ticket for enjoying both parks.

Ah, Disney Muggles...

Comment

Originally posted by Orcatime
                            Been thinking about this for a while? :P
                            I've never been to the park either, oddly enough. I've just been looking at maps and participating in "What would you do to raise DCA attendance?" for ages now.

Comment

I think DCA can be fixed and it will take time.

Walt's love of Trains!

Comment

I think it is a little past the point of no return as to changing the entire theme of DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseketeer_2
                                  I think it is a little past the point of no return as to changing the entire theme of DCA.
                                  It would be a marketing nightmare too. The theme is in place, they just have to keep running with it...
                                  www.deliciousmayhem.net
                                  www.kidseatingpaste.com

Comment

I don't think it will be possible for DCA's core -- it's "soul" if you will -- to be changed by any amount of cosmetic theme revisions or ride additions, no matter how much money is spent.

The money is irrelevant. DCA is a creation of Disney corporate groupthink. The DCA experience will remain fundamentally generic, prepackaged, and (compared to the vision that created Disneyland) essentially soulless.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by mouseketeer_2
                                      It depends on the new theme. If they simply drop the word "California" from the name, it would remove the limitation for new lands and rides to be themed only to the golden state. California Sorin' becomes Sorin'. ETC. Doesn't ruin the park, it just opens up the possibilities.
                                      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                                      Save

Comment

Like I said before, I would love to see it revamped into a Disney's America like Al suggested when he worked for Mouse Planet. And yes, it can be done! Think of the possibilities! Here's the link to the article:

http://www./dca/america.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage
                                          It depends on the new theme. If they simply drop the word "California" from the name, it would remove the limitation for new lands and rides to be themed only to the golden state.
                                          Ditto this. You could name the place "Disney's ADVENTURE!" and people would still know what it is while the name change is subtle enough that people would recognize something big has happened. Almost nobody actually bothers to include the "California" anyway when talking about the park because of all the syllables, so just drop that part and carry on.

Comment

Working...
                                          X