Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imagineer boy
    Does anyone remember the article that Al Lutz wrote a long time ago back when he was still at mouse planet when he did an article about changing DCA into a Disney's America? And yes, it can be done! He brings up some interesting ideas in that one. I'll post a link in a couple of minuites.
    youknow I can honestly say I don't see Disney's America being anymore interesting to visit then DCA is (well maybe more historic rides but it sounds bland to me)
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by imagineer boy
      Like I said before, I would love to see it revamped into a Disney's America like Al suggested when he worked for Mouse Planet. And yes, it can be done! Think of the possibilities! Here's the link to the article:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/america.htm
      Two words are echoing in my head... "Big Mistake."

Do we all remember why Disney's America failed in the first place? If you think people have an unnatural bias against the California theme, look up some artilces about THAT badboy.

Yes, America is arguably more flag-wavin' patriotic these days -- but that could actually work against Disney, not for it. They could be even more sensitive to potential historical inaccuracies perpetrated by the same company that has taken PC to new heights. Or, they could feel that exploiting our new-found patriotism is crass.

I think they are better off reinterpreting the California theme to reflect Disneyland's original lands: Frontierland/California Wilderness, Missions, Ranchos; Adventureland/Gold Rush, Barbary Coast; Fantasyland/HPB, Hollywoodland, Dream Factory; Tomorrowland/Silicon Valley, Oceanography, CalTech. It doesn't have to be done all at once, and the park could actually stay open almost the entire time. It just requires some long-term planning. Before building a new attraction to be a stop-gap, build a strong idea of where the park should be going... Disneyland's NOS and New Tomorrowland set a great tone for the park, transforming from themepark to a true landmark. And it enabled them to redo Fantasyland and add to the magic for years and years. DCA just needs a new land, probably by spending a load of cash to secure the southeast corner of the block and hitting a home run with at least one E and two D tickets, and building a few "dead ends" which will eventually be thruways when other parts of the park are redone and connected up.
      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I disagree that the park's theme can be changed at this point. Granted, it is a good idea, but that would likely be a PR nightmare, not to mention the fact that Disney would be admitting their failure (a rare occurance). We have a Califonria theme, so lets try to make the best of it. If imagineers can come up with attractions for EPCOT's World Showcase pavilions (how many possible rides come to mind with a Norweigian theme?), then the same can be done with California. In California, we have the motion picture industry, the aerospace industry, the wine industry, silicon valley, expansive national parks... that's really not too stifling when you put it in perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseketeer_2
          I disagree that the park's theme can be changed at this point. Granted, it is a good idea, but that would likely be a PR nightmare, not to mention the fact that Disney would be admitting their failure (a rare occurance). We have a Califonria theme, so lets try to make the best of it. If imagineers can come up with attractions for EPCOT's World Showcase pavilions (how many possible rides come to mind with a Norweigian theme?), then the same can be done with California. In California, we have the motion picture industry, the aerospace industry, the wine industry, silicon valley, expansive national parks... that's really not too stifling when you put it in perspective.

I agree that you can't change the name or completly drop California

my feelings are that we need to be looking at this in how can we put Disney In California and how can we create imaginative experience's that involve California

the rides should also match the lands and in turn the lands should match the theme

rides that arn't built around the California theme but match it are going to be the ones that work best I think
          "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider
            I agree that you can't change the name or completly drop California

my feelings are that we need to be looking at this in how can we put Disney In California and how can we create imaginative experience's that involve California

the rides should also match the lands and in turn the lands should match the theme

rides that arn't built around the California theme but match it are going to be the ones that work best I think
            I agree completely.

Comment

t
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                One exciting change would be to have the whole Paradise Pier area taken out and replaced with something truly fun. I have been to DCA a ton of times and have walked through that area once.
                Are you mad? The Paradise Pier area has 2 of the only good attractions in the park! The California Screamin' and Maliboomer are huge hits, and Guest Relations would be swamped by Guests freaking out about the loss of one (Screamin') of the...4 good attractions at DCA.
                "Somebody need me too much; somebody know me too well. Somebody pull me up short, and put me through hell, and give me support for being alive. Make me alive. Make me alive! Make me confused; mock me with praise. Let me be used. Vary my days. But alone is alone, not alive. Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care. Somebody let me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you, to help us survive being alive."
                --"Being Alive"
                Company Stephen
                Sondheim

Comment

Well, they could still build mountains around Screamin'. That would create a sort of berm for that side of the park. Maliboomer could be moved anywhere or sold. Every themepark in the country has one (most even taller). Then they could scrape the rest of that section of the park clean and start again. Perhaps a whole San Francisco section, or a mini world showcase.
                  MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
                  Save

Comment

Screamin' is decent. MaliBoomer is certainly disposable, especially since ToT takes the same concept and actually makes it interesting.

Screamin' would be more salvageable if there were better paths to it, and/or better attractions near it. But it's not good enough to justify riding standby, and there is nothing nearby worth doing to justify riding fastpass.
                    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Jfoster760
                      t
                      huh?
                      Hail Matt Ouimet, the savior of Disneyland!

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker Bell
                        Are you mad? The Paradise Pier area has 2 of the only good attractions in the park! The California Screamin' and Maliboomer are huge hits, and Guest Relations would be swamped by Guests freaking out about the loss of one (Screamin') of the...4 good attractions at DCA.
                        Yes, I'm quite mad. We're all a little mad around here...

California Screamin' is great, but it can be rethemed and redone. For example, imagine a shell around the ride track itself. You are now riding it and it's an indoor experience (which I'm sure the city of Anaheim would love because the hollering from guests riding the ride is loud at night). The inside of that enclosure could be themed to some sort of experience that takes you out of the carnival atmosphere and into something else. Let's say it's an Aladdin ride now. The tracks are fitted with cars that resemble carpets (with shoulder restraints, mind you ) and now the ride is 'Aladdin's Flight' where you go through the night sky of Agrabah. Anything's possible.

As for Maliboomer, we have that ride already in DCA. It's themed and called the Tower of Terror. The Maliboomer is just your ordinary carnival ride.

Comment

IN fact, if the Paradise Pier area in the corner where all the carnival games are was rethemed to be Agrabah, they could keep some of the carnival games (rethemed) to be the Agrabah Marketplace.
                          The Wharf Area could be underwater themed: Little Mermaid, Nemo etc.
                          The Hollywood Area could be an urban area that houses 'Monsters Inc' attractions and 'Incredibles' attractions.
                          Condor Flats could be turned into a foresty area for 'Brother Bear', 'Pocahontas' and all other forest dwelling Disney characters.
                          There's so much that could be done at that park to make it better. And if I were Matt Ouimet or Eisner, I'd close the whole thing down after the 50th and re-do it. All of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                            IN fact, if the Paradise Pier area in the corner where all the carnival games are was rethemed to be Agrabah, they could keep some of the carnival games (rethemed) to be the Agrabah Marketplace.
                            Agrabah, California???

Comment

I must agree that Disney is realistically stuck with the California theme at this point, and I think that's okay. As many of you have already pointed out, California has a long and rich history to draw upon and many great attractions could still come to this park within its current theme.

I won't go on and on too long with my own ideas, since so many of them have already been mentioned (including focusing on the historical aspect). But here are a few tidbits I think would add immensely to this failing park:

-- Get rid of those God-awful songs playing in the entrance area. The songs, though good ones, are annoying when blasted over loud speakers the way they are. The loop is also far too short. Within a few hours of walking back and forth, it is common to hear the same song 2, 3 or more times in one day.

Instead, pump in instrumental versions of those same California themed songs - you know, whimsical, sprightly and fun orchestrations, along the sound of the music on Main Street or in Toontown. This alone would do wonders to the overall feel of Sunshine Plaza. And what with all that tacky neon along "Greetings" and "Engin-Ears"?

-- Block out all of LA! It is absolutely ridiculous that one can see so many distracting views of Anaheim when inside this park. In one spot, when heading from Sunshine Plaza towards the Pier, the Convention Center across the street actaully looks like it's part of the park! Unacceptable in my book. The Coast Hotel is in plain view from the Napa Valley area and don't even get me started on the Paradise Pier area. WALL THIS PARK IN WITH TREES! It should envelope you completely.

--Retire "Golden Dreams" and sell it on DVD. Rip out that theater, Route 66 and most of all, that ghastly pink Dino. Right there you have enough land for a well-themed ride.

-- Enclose Mul. Maddness so that the cars are darting in and out of a building, with fun tunnels and distractions along the way.

-- So many of you seem to hate the Paradise Pier area but honestly I think it is one of the few areas in the park that work (to an extent). The idea is great but the whole "seaside" feel needs to be intensified. First of all, the wave machine should ALWAYS be on during park opearting hours. It makes the difference between an oceanside and a lake. Beyond that, where are the towering palm trees and the carefully hidden sound of seagulls "cawing" in the distance. Where is the turn-of-the-century feel it should have been given originally? Ditch the silly games and even the shops and add some Disney over there.

Also, Disney should eliminate all references in their media that advertises Paradise Pier as a place with "cool beaches" and "at the eater's edge." Face it Disney, there are no beaches here!

-- I suggest expanding and re-configuring the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail to include either a Brother Bear dark ride or a Bambi ride. (Bambi, by the way, is a grossly under-used character at DCA because he fits into the nature theme so well. He appears on the shower-curtains at the GC Hotel and that's about it to my knowledge.)

-- Finally, for today at least, the factory tours in the Pacific Wharf area are the biggest disgrace this park has. I would call these even worse than Superstar Limo, since that was a moving ride at least. Close these embarrassments as soon as possible and put a Bay Area themed ride in there.

Personally, I really enjoy DCA whenever I go, even in its current state. It can be fixed, for sure. But basically every detail of every area would have to be addressed and given the main thing this park lacks: CHARM.

Comment

Originally posted by mouseketeer_2
                                Agrabah, California???
                                No. The California theme goes out the door for me in the imaginary theme park that resides in my mind...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X