Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scribby
    Two quick ideas:

-Please use that rediculously huge lake for something. I mean come on, it's giant and isn't doing anything. Use the water for something, whatever, just don't make me walk all the way around it when it's not serving any other purpose than reflecting at night.
    Yes, I agree rip out the Rivers of America that rediculously huge lake for something. I mean come on, it's giant and it isn't doing anything. Use the water for something like a water roller coaster, pave some concrete so I don't have to walk all the way around and then ride a dumb boat to get to the island. Heck, build a couple of shops as well and maybe but in a full-scale McDonald's as well. I'm tired of having to walk to DCA to get a burger with my fries from Conestoga Wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Leech
      Yes, I agree rip out the Rivers of America that rediculously huge lake for something. I mean come on, it's giant and it isn't doing anything. Use the water for something like a water roller coaster, pave some concrete so I don't have to walk all the way around and then ride a dumb boat to get to the island. Heck, build a couple of shops as well and maybe but in a full-scale McDonald's as well. I'm tired of having to walk to DCA to get a burger with my fries from Conestoga Wagon.
      Don't forget to eat your breakfast. It throws off your blood sugar and makes you cranky!

-Dusty
      MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook: .

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,
      Save

Comment

I don't think he meant they should rip it out, Leech. Rather, they should use it for something, like the Rivers used to have a bunch of attractions and while there's not as many (RIP Keel Boats), there's still several things to do over there.

Comment

There are some great ideas all over the place in this thread! Fun stuff!

Personally, I enjoy DCA and think there is hope for it. What I've been struck by is a lack of rides that both parents and children can enjoy together. It seems like it is one extreme or the other. We've got the Jumping Jellyfish or Tower of Terror, which have some attendance problems. Meanwhile, Soaring Over California never has a line under an hour.

I think that perhaps one of the things that makes DL so successful is its emphasis on rides that appeal to everyone. Warm memories are built with older family members in the minds of little ones riding "Pirates" and "The Haunted Mansion", and as the years pass and that child begins to understand nostalgia, where does the child go? Back to Disneyland where the memories began. I mean, when you break it down, The Tiki Room is a bunch of plastic birds moving to a record. But to sit there in the dark with the memory of sitting there twenty years before with your mom and dad, singing loudly with all of the other guests... THAT is what makes people come back.

Contrast it with Six Flags, I know very few people who wildly crave going back to Six Flags. I don't know a single soul who goes there as often as I am at DL. My own theory is because the memories built there tend to be built during the teen years and who wants to remember those?

Rather than going for extreme rides or baby rides, I think a few brilliantly imaginative rides would serve the park better. I would love the Imagineers to answer the question, "What is the coolest thing a person can do in California?" and then build rides based around capturing that experience or emotion. I can go anywhere and experience "fast" or "drop", but to be transported to a different place and have my mouth hang open in wonder? THAT is only at Disney.

Comment

I agree with Mr D on the berm. One of the biggest problems with DCA is that powerlines, hotels and the convention center are very visible and it reinforces that you are in the middle of Anaheim. This is the opposite of the feeling you get in most of DL where if someone dropped you into the park blindfolded you wouldn't have a clue as to where you actually were and, more importantly, wouldn't care...

Comment

there is NOTHING a few bulldozers, a paver and a striping rig can't fix.
              bring back the Disneyland parkinglot.

http://www.1313southharborblvd.com/w...Adventure-.jpg
              The Light At The End Of The Tunnel ... Is the Headlight Of An On Coming Train !

Comment

Believe it or not, an insider told me a while back that surfers were being considered for Paradise Bay, but that even though Disney liked the idea, they would NEVER take liability risk. True or not, I'm not sure, but I doubt that the liability-minded suits in TDA are ever going to go for that idea.

By the way, I was very surprised when I found out the Paradise Walk for Paradise Pier Hotel guests had been shut down for good. At first I was angry because that "private" walkway linked the hotel to the pier, keeping the theme for hotel customers in tact. But as I thought more about it, I wondered if this closure meant that Disney means to expand this area with a little more land.

So far I've heard very little about this on the web.

Comment

Well, now that we have Mickey & Friends, the parking lot idea is just tired.

However, looking at that photo, I was forced to wonder... couldn't DCA expand beyond its current borders north of HPB, and maybe even tear down LaBrea Bakery to expand Condor Flats? Admittedly, both areas are just slivers, but in the case of HPB, there are two buildings (SHOULD be three) that need razing, and a sliver may be all it takes to put in a fun Fantasyland-style dark ride that expands on the Condor Flats area (seeing as how a "land" should consist of more than just one ride and an eatery.)
                  See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                  78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by HitchhikingGhost
                    This picture blows me away. I can't believe they paid the exhorborant amounts of money needed to have those electrical towers moved around and then spent so little on the park they planted there.

Comment

• Originally posted by MickeyMania
                      This picture blows me away. I can't believe they paid the exhorborant amounts of money needed to have those electrical towers moved around and then spent so little on the park they planted there.
                      Is it true that the parking lot was more profitable for Disney than DCA or is that some internet urban legend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
                        Is it true that the parking lot was more profitable for Disney than DCA or is that some internet urban legend?
                        urban legend

I've heard DCA actualy is making money and paying for itself

I've also heard DCA cost Disney close to a Billion dollers to build
                        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jspider
                          urban legend

I've heard DCA actualy is making money and paying for itself

I've also heard DCA cost Disney close to a Billion dollers to build
                          Well, one thing, any money the old lot would have brought in is being brought in at the new structure, so even if the lot was more profitable, that profit wasn't lost to build DCA, it was just moved.

As for the $1 billion figure, I usually read that the project cost about $1.3 billion, but only about half of that went into the park itself. The rest went into GCH, DTD, etc.
                          See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                          78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Originally posted by ModHatter
                            As for the $1 billion figure, I usually read that the project cost about $1.3 billion, but only about half of that went into the park itself. The rest went into GCH, DTD, etc.
                            Good point. Meaning that the cost of building DCA was about the cost of producing and marketing a couple of major motion pictures.

Feh.

Comment

• Originally posted by ModHatter
                              Well, one thing, any money the old lot would have brought in is being brought in at the new structure, so even if the lot was more profitable, that profit wasn't lost to build DCA, it was just moved.

actualy alot of DTD was paid for by the people who would later take up occupancy in those buildings

and we all know that alot of the land restructuring as well as the parking garage were all paid for by the City of Anihiem

from what I've heard from a reputable source DCA's pricetag itself was actualy about 1 billion

weather or not that cost came to pay for all the work taht went into designing or half designing Westcot or all those other concepts that they never used is another debate
                              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• Can DCA be Fixed?

Bob Barker and I agree, this dog SHOULD be fixed!

Heaven help us if it were allowed to breed!
                                Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

Working...
                                X