Announcement

Collapse

Gumball Rally 2018

Tickets are selling fast! Act now to reserve your spot. http://micechat.com/events/rally
See more
See less

Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aladdin
    Heaven help us if it were allowed to breed!
    I think DCA was bred from Great America and Magic Mountain.

Comment

• Yeah, DCA is Disney's combination of several SoCal Parks,
      and has acquired a nickname (heard by at least one other poster on this site):

Disney's
      Universal
      Mountain
      Berry

Park
      Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
      An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
      Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
      Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• dude DCA is obviously created from MGM (hollywood backlot) AK (Golden State but with added California edutainment plus holdover from Westcot)

and um something on a Pier?
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• As far as correcting this beast, that' a challenge that not even 50 years could fix.

But here's a start:

(1) Keep on expanding the Hollywood section, with both live action themes and keep the animated characters restricted to just part of Hollywood. With Superstar Limo, convert this over to an idea I read over at Jim Hill's site: Muppets go to Hollywood. Which is kind of a spoof of Muppets taking over the Great Movie ride. This would be perfectly placed right near the Muppet 3-D Movie. Sorry, but the Monster Inc. idea Stinks for Hollywood pictures! Millionaire idea fell fast, but some sort of unique show could certainly be developed for this area. Changing out the Hyperion Show occasionally is necessary. And of course, it seems like many people (although not necessarily myself) are clarmoring for a version of Rock'n Rollercoaster, which could find a home in the Hollywood backlot.

(2) Condor Flats ~ Grizzly River Rapids, add to the entertainment in the Soarin' queue and Disneyfy GRR with audio animatronics. And although there may not be enough room in GRR, perhaps San Francisco Street could serve as an entrance to a new fangeled Country Bear Jamboree ~ and please find a place for Humphrey!

(3) Warf area ~ add an entrance to the Gold Rush Town which can house an attraction that is most blatantly missing from the park, an E-Ticket Audio-Animatronic show in the style of Pirates and the Mansion ~ Even ideas from the same master designer, with a sense of humour are ready to serve as a foundation, and even some of the old maestro's are still around that may be able to give this attraction the same old new type of flare. Yes, it would be home to the most infamous, yet never given it's due right in any Disney Park, Western River Expedition.

This one attraction would certainly give this park a feel of, THIS really IS a Disney Park

(4) Entry area and plaza ~ :confused: this is the 2nd most troublesome part of the entire park. With no berm, you can see right in to the main plaza, nothing magical appearing, nothing transporting you to a different time and place. Even the Train theme is cut short, no working smoke stack on the train, no train sounds or movements. And the Sun Court, the most uncomfortable ugliest hub at ANY Disney Park. No Mainstreet, no weenies. And Really, how can this be a Hub, when it NEVER has been the center of the park, and NEVER will be. Yeah, this is one giant mistake that will plague it for generations.

5. Finally, Paradise Pier, You ARE the Weakest Link

GOODBYE!

YES! The entire monstrosity from Souvenier 66,mousy , Jumpin'Jellys, Big Mac, Rusty, MowMow, Coaster, carousel, boomer, all the carney crap~ good riddance! :devil:

With Rockin' Rollercoaster up, it will be time for this gigantic mistake of DCA to be demolished. Drain the water from the lake, and get those bulldozers out! AND THIS TIME remember to PLAN FOR THE FUTURE. Like viewing for shows on the water, infastructure to support the show. Don't plan on wasting so much space with a big puddle of water without some sort of attraction. Just think, Jungle Cruise, Subs, Rivers of America, etc. All take up quite a bit of space with water, BUT each have one or several attractions. And WHAT did the lake do? oh, that right, look pretty at night. Then if you want to have the water take up more space, with a few attractions utilizing it, that's fine. And then an even bigger and more spectacular water show is possible. BUT with the current infastructure, well, one word, Illuminations! bleah!

Yeah, some of the errors can be corrected, not all, but some. The ony thing is, the corrections cannot be done on the cheap. It will cost a heck of a lot more than if they would have done it right in the 1st place.

Too bad they couldn't have afforded a Walk in Walt's footsteps tour at DL. That probably would have given them a few ideas on how a theme park should be built. And you know what, they probably could have even avoided some of the difficulties faced by that park on opening day!
          Last edited by Aladdin; 01-20-2005, 10:38 PM.
          Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
          An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
          Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
          Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• It's called Imagineering

Perhaps the folks in the Burbank office should, oh I don't know, thumb through the imagineering library. Or, maybe actually visit a DL attraction?

With such a wealth of imagineering heritage, the DCA product is so beneath Disney, I cannot believe they keep it open. The painfully obvious influence of Pressler and Pals not only can be reflected cheaply on the budget, but cheap seems to have been the only theme they had to move with. Is California a cheap looking state? Trashy?

The concept of "resort" in Anaheim was terrible to begin with. I'm sure the suits in Burbank were thinking in terms of dollar generation if they could market a resort. Dumb, dumb, dumb. No space. The space is in Lake Buena Vista, FL guys.

DCA needs to be shut down. Completely. The penny pinching profit pilferring pirates at corporate need to swallow their pride, admit that stamping "Disney" onto a pile of horse feces doesn't change the fact that the public can see and smell.

The Imagineers need to go back to the basics, and start with Walt's fundamentals. "Be brilliant on the basics" - Vince Lombardi

Since I'm not an imagineer, I'm not even going to try to shell out concepts or ideas. But, as a east coast resident, I can say since 2000, I've had no esire to make the trip.
            Last edited by vrpooh; 01-25-2005, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aladdin
              Yeah, DCA is Disney's combination of several SoCal Parks,
              and has acquired a nickname (heard by at least one other poster on this site):

Disney's
              Universal
              Mountain
              Berry

Park
              Rumor has it that Ward Kimball called it something similar to that.

Comment

• Ok, I know DCA is definetly NOT Dineyland, but I still think it is a fun park! I really enjoy going there on a bi-weekly basis (well I try to). It seems to be a slower paced park then Dineyland, and yes I see that it does seem to be a combo-park as well. Maybe it is just me but I love DCA it is completely different then Disneyland.

Does anyone remember one of Matt Ouimets first speeches to the public? Didnt he say "I believe DCA to be complete." I dont think they are gonna do anything else to the park but add a few rides here and there. The theme will remain the same.

:thumbup: "This guy!"

Comment

• I believe this to be a direct quote from Walt Disney:

""Disneyland is a show...Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role...Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

I guess Walt didn't mention DCA So maybe DCA is complete. But keeping with Walt Disney's vision, DCA should never be "complete".

Or I entirely missed the point
                  If I'm smiling, I'm not paying attention

Comment

• You're right on the point.

The other point is, DCA should never have been started. Even the beancounters have said it would've made more money as a parking lot.
                    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                    until Thor told it to me."
                    -
                    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Wiggins
                      You're right on the point.

The other point is, DCA should never have been started. Even the beancounters have said it would've made more money as a parking lot.
                      what beancounters? the ones in your head?

DCA has made money it just didn't live up to peoples extreme expectations (that goes for both sides, visitors expected an experience like "Disneyland and BEYOND" and the management expected to rake in huge amounts of profits and have to close the park due to overflow of capacity for three years and have to force people to go to Disneyland instead)

Comment

• Originally posted by PumpkinKing!
                        Ok, I know DCA is definetly NOT Dineyland, but I still think it is a fun park! I really enjoy going there on a bi-weekly basis (well I try to). It seems to be a slower paced park then Dineyland, and yes I see that it does seem to be a combo-park as well. Maybe it is just me but I love DCA it is completely different then Disneyland.

Does anyone remember one of Matt Ouimets first speeches to the public? Didnt he say "I believe DCA to be complete." I dont think they are gonna do anything else to the park but add a few rides here and there. The theme will remain the same.
                        I don't believe Matt Ouimet said that

in fact so far he's said that they will not develope a third gate until they get DCA in shape

btw shaping up the second gates seems to be the goal of every disney resort in the world right now (except China)

Disneyworld is trying to fix up Epcot with less edutainment as well as get Animal Kingdom's ride count up higher (plus add a bit onto MGM studios)

Paris is trying to fix up the nightmare that is Disney Studios Paris (think DCA was bad? go here you'll think DCA is awsome once you see this tiny excuse of a park)

Tokyo is adding rides onto DisneySea's do to COMPLAINTS that there isn't enough to do in this park

looking at all of that work it suddenly makes since for why they're not going to be doing any massive developments for at least the next ten years

Comment

• I have been a passholder since before DCA started going up (I still mis the fantastic motorcycle parking the old lot used to have. It was like 5 feet from the gate!

I was at one of the passholder preview days at DCA, and although I loved some of the rides (even though it was raining), at the end of the day I just felt like "that's it?" I honestly thought we had missed an area. Something that tied the park together. Well, we hadn't. And therein lies the largest problem, in my opinion. There's no catch. No draw. The biggest, most identifiable landmark in the park hosts.. a water ride? Where's the sense of WOW!? That's what's missing.

It's a good park, but suffers from a deplorable lack of identity. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Someone mentioned Knott's a while back - it's a prime example. It has been for a long time what it seemed DCA wanted to be. A bit more worn down and rustic, true, but that was Walter Knott's vision for the park. Only since the takeover by Cedar Fair did it start to evolve and change. Now it's squeezing these big rides into a tiny, overcrowded space, and turning into an odd amalgam of what it was, and what it want to become. (on a side note however, the Haunt at Knott's still ruled the Halloween theme park universe)

What DCA needs to do is decide what it want's to be. It doesn't even pull off the "Celebration of california" thing it tries to nail. Sure, there are landmarks and cultural influences galore, but what to they serve? Are you going to DCA to visit a theme park, or a museum? Rip some of the visuals down, and put up some bigger, faster rides. Theme specific areas of the park, maybe as past/present/future secions. and focus on something. Give the park a face, something to really tie everything together. Then you'll have a more coherant experience throughout the park, while still being a unique and separate park from it's older brother next door...
                          Honor those who fall under the sword.
                          But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Comment

• Personally I like DCA as an extention to Disneyland. It's a nice change of pace. SOC is the best attaction at the resort. The short lines, newer attractions still with the Disney flair!
                            Second star to the right...

Comment

• Originally posted by figment1986
                              What aboout refocussing the idea elsewhere... like change the theme of the park... Disney's America had a lot of concepts that are in the park now.... a little repaint, retheme.. new sponsors... butload of cash.... and you have a patriotic Disney's America... (retheme Paradice pier to cony island..)
                              I agree! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a large percentage of visitors day trippers from the area? "California" is probably not that exotic to Californians. An American theme might be a bit more so. I haven't been to this particular park, just reacting to what's been said on this and other sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by kevdo
                                There's nothing wrong with DCA that more and better rides (not "attractions") couldn't solve. I think the theme actually is in line with the concepts that Walt brought to DL -- learn about and savor the past, embrace the future.

I'd retheme The Bay Area and Condor Flats areas to become a larger Grizzly Peak Recreation Area. With Soarin' this is very doable and I'd tear out the movie theatre in BA and replace it with some sort of "nature" themed ride.

For HPBL - use the space vacated by Millionaire, SSL, and Hollywood and Dine to build a new D or preferrably E ticket ride. Rockin' Roller Coaster might fit thematically. No, a Monsters Inc. overlay on SSL is not what the doctor ordered.

For Paradise Pier, I'd replace the Orange Stinger and Jumpin Jellyfish with something that either a) smaller kids can ride or b) something more exciting. Preferrably something that isn't a cycle ride. It might be cool to add some sort of boat ride on the lake.

With that, you've:
                                a) improved the overall feel of the theming
                                b) Added one E ticket and two or three C and Ds
                                c) Improved the pull on both sides of the park

Would love to see a Gold Rush themed POTC-type ride. Not sure where they could physically fit in the park (since it would thematically work best near Grizzly Peak).
                                Why do people keep throwing around Rockin' Roller Coaster like it's a good idea? DCA doesn't need any more cloned rides and it doesn't need more thrill rides (yet). It needs family new, non-cloned e-ticket attractions, of which their are none.
                                ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Comment

Working...
                                X