Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I personally enjoy Californialand. It has a very relaxed feel, and I like most of the shows/rides. The only thing I really do not care for is Aladdin. Oh, and the Nrother Bear show is terrible. It is so much less rushed than Disneyland, and I enjoy the large walkways.

Comment

• Originally posted by fearsnda
      Why do people keep throwing around Rockin' Roller Coaster like it's a good idea? DCA doesn't need any more cloned rides and it doesn't need more thrill rides (yet). It needs family new, non-cloned e-ticket attractions, of which their are none.
      Amen and Hallelujah.

RnRC isn't just a clone of the DMGM ride, it's virtually a hybrid of two existing DLR rides: Screamin' and Space Mountain. And SM isn't radically different from Matterhorn either. How many of these coasters do we need before we say enough already?

Let's bulldoze SSL or SuperPixarLimo or whatever, and build an amazing PotC-caliber dark ride. Doesn't have to have a single pre-existing Disney character, but it needs a major dose of Disney magic that the park is sorely lacking. Move Mulholland Madness to the HPB/LA area if we need another cheap thrill (what Mulholland is doing so far away from Hollywood in the first place, I'll never know.) Or, as I like to suggest, make an updated Star Tours in the Backlot, and present a two-layered approach to the area, 1) making you feel like you're in the movies, and 2) letting you take a look behind the scenes.
      See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
      78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• >>Can Disney's California Adventure Be Fixed? <<

Whether or not it can be fixed ... I think it's more of a matter that Disney just doesn't care!

I mean ... come on:

Look at their haphazard way of kiddie lands here .. wild adult thrill over here ... and ZERO amount of true true family attractions - Ones that can excite the imaginations of nearly anyone .. of any age group.

Disney once had a "creme of the crop" creative team that they've been letting go ... one by one. And those who come from the old school (Baxter, Gordon) .. and just hanging on ... are forced to come up with subpar stuff. All to appease a newer corporate mentality .. where the corporate bigwigs think they are doing themselves .. and the company a big favor!

NOT!

For four years .... all they keep coming up with are these half-baked ideas .. trickling in one at a time ... Instead of SERIOUSLY sitting down and radically rethinking huge sections of the park.

Comment

• Golden Moments - The Rough Draft

Ok, I said "Give me a week and I'll come up with something for a DCA history ride." Well, here it is. Cheesy and (relatively) non-controversial it can be seen as to how it would be a Disney ride. Given California's somewhat criminal/discriminatiry past, for this ride it will just be ..."sidestepped." It would be about a 15-20 minute ride just like HM and Spaceship Earth.

Ok, so you start in the que facing around GRR and Brother Bear totem ceremony area, as though you are entering a part of CA's nature. The que turns into a forest trail that opens up into a clearing with the sounds of tribal drums. (Note, by this time you are actually inside the building, the trail is a hallway that leads you to a "foyer" of sorts)

In the clearing (foyer) you see a Native American ceremonial dancer, named Raven. He welcomes you to "explore the past of this land." [This is potentially one of the most controversial areas to be discussed. For anyone unfamiliar with Native American tribal religion, Raven is a deity recognized by many Native American nations. He is considered a stroyteller, shape-shifter, and trickster (although not as notorious as Coyote)]

Raven then invites you into a sweatlodge to begin your journey. Fog/Mist enters the room as you are lifted into the Great Spirit's realm. Said sweatlodge is actually the reverse of the HM stretching room (you go up). Following the clouded path before you you see a boxy, cloud that you sit in and Raven is "around you" as you proceed on your journey into golden moments of California.

As you begin you notice that your "cloud" is pretty bouncy for a "puff of air" and you see in a mirror that the cloud has become a stagecoach! (Thank you hitchiking ghosts). Now you see scenes of when the Spaniards arrive and establish the Mission trail.

Still rolling along as a bouncy stagecoach, you see when the Americans came in 1847. Two years later, gold was discovered and you see 49'ers trying to make their fortunes. Another scene and it is 1850, when California became the 31st state of the Union.

Passing another mirror and the stagecoach has become a railroad car. Diorama slides along with depictions of industry. Railroad workers, farmers, and oil from 1865 to now.

Another mirror shows that the railcar has now become something like a Model T and you are taken into a room where Raven tells you it is 1906. The track starts shaking you around (Temple of Doom-ish) and buildings are falling with a fire towards the end. You can guess where you just were.

Your next room has you in a nicer car, the car itself isn't as bouncy as before, and you see Mann's Chinese Theater and various other Hollywood icons (minus the sign itself) as you see the movies have arrived. Raven tells you he's hearing something in the air and you hear a staticy radio signal saying that the Luisitania has been sunk (for those non-history buffs, this was the start of the US's involvement in WW 1). A diorama of WW 1 and the sounds of battle is heard while Raven tells of CA's key roles.

1920's and 30's show a state becoming a military stronghold and more immigration, by the end of the 30's diorama the ride slides down (everything else was going down at that time why not the ride [besides you've got to get on the first floor again somehow])

Raven hears another signal, this time FDR is saying that "This will be a date which will live in infamy." Raven says, "hmm, this sounds familiar," and you see another diorama of CA becoming a military stronghold.

You see yourself in a 1950's car and you hear that an innovative event has occured where you see DL on Opening Day! Raven says that 7 years later CA has become the most populous state in the nation.

Then the ride gets dark and you hear futuristic music as Raven wonders what the future of CA looks like as you enter a misty room, leave your car, and hear the Mommas & Poppas sing "California Dreaming." (I told you it was going to be cheesy)

Ok, so this does seem more than a 15-20 minute ride but hey it's a rough draft and a lot of people definitely seemed intrigued with this idea. Plus it definitely stays with the theme of "California Adventure."
          Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

• A berm of some sort would make a significant difference. At Disneyland, you feel like you're in Disneyland, at California Adventure you feel like you're at the corner of Harbor and Lincoln. A visual barrier of some kind would help immerse you in the environment. Obviously, this isn't going to fix the place, but it might help.

Comment

• cool ideas Orcatime and it has less limitations then my pure theator idea (it's more fluid and less movie based)

I like the changing ride vehicals idea, I wonder how the effect would be pulled off exactly? (what does your ride vehical look like when your not looking at the reflection?)

the idea's good though
              "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jspider
                dude DCA is obviously created from MGM (hollywood backlot) AK (Golden State but with added California edutainment plus holdover from Westcot)

and um something on a Pier?
                Said "something on a pier" is a combination of Mission Bay PArk's Bellmont Stakes Coaster in San Diego, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, and Santa Monica or Long Beach, I don't remember which.
                Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

Comment

• One thing I like is the posts and suggestions for making DCA better, Instead of just "tearing it down posts" Disneyland had quite a bit when it started and some things that were not so good or enough.
                  Building shows from WDW, or other Imagineered ideas would be great since DCA is not well recieved by everyone.

I also feel transported to another place when entering Disneyland.

DCA is just another park it doesn't have the same feel. My point is give it time.
                  1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

• Also, its unfair to compare any park to Disneyland, much less a relatively brand new one. If we were to go back to Disneyland in the 50's, we would probably be shocked at how bare and unfinished it felt. Like many others, I'm disappointed by DCA, but we have to be patient and let the park grow into its own. Unfortunately it'll take time, but hopefully with some good management, DCA will become a good park. It'll never be Disneyland, but I don't expect it or any other ammusement park to ever be.

Comment

• Originally posted by ModHatter
                      Amen and Hallelujah.

RnRC isn't just a clone of the DMGM ride, it's virtually a hybrid of two existing DLR rides: Screamin' and Space Mountain. And SM isn't radically different from Matterhorn either. How many of these coasters do we need before we say enough already?

Let's bulldoze SSL or SuperPixarLimo or whatever, and build an amazing PotC-caliber dark ride. Doesn't have to have a single pre-existing Disney character, but it needs a major dose of Disney magic that the park is sorely lacking. Move Mulholland Madness to the HPB/LA area if we need another cheap thrill (what Mulholland is doing so far away from Hollywood in the first place, I'll never know.) Or, as I like to suggest, make an updated Star Tours in the Backlot, and present a two-layered approach to the area, 1) making you feel like you're in the movies, and 2) letting you take a look behind the scenes.
                      Great idea! How come no one at works comes up with this stuff? or maybe they have and it's gotten the ax!
                      ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

Comment

• Can Disneyland be Fixed

Add Bushland, etc. features.

Comment

• They could change the name from Disney's California Adventure to California Adventure Paris.
                          Of course the last time they pulled that trick it didn't work so maybe that's not the answer.

The problem with DCA is it's not like Disneyland. By that I don't mean that DCA has to be a clone of DL or that DL is the perfect theme park. What I mean is the average DL guest comes to the resort to experience attractions that are not like those found in other theme parks. Overall, the attractions at DCA are not as well designed as those at DL and usually rivals rides found at parks like Knotts Berry Farm or Six Flags Magic Mountain. Though these type of parks & their rides can be fun, it's not why people come to Disneyland.

Like Disney MGM Studios at Walt Disney World, I suspect DCA will stick around & new attractions will be added & new promotions will be tossed around until the park turns out a profit of some kind and can get satisfactory review from most park guests.

Alot more rides & alot more theming is what DCA needs. Lets see what Matt Ouimet & his staff can do.

Comment

• At least they tried something new. Its not just another copy of another park.

Comment

• parachute jump @ knotts ---- jumping jellyfish @ DCA

bigfoot rapids @ knotts ---- grizzly river run @ DCA

supreme scream @ knotts ---- maliboomer @ DCA

waveswinger @ knotts ---- orange stinger @ DCA

Yep, totally original.

Comment

• log ride @ knotts ---- Splash Mountain @ DL

It isn't the ride, it is the theming and integration of the ride. You can hardly compare Bigfoot Rapids to Grizzly River Run. As for the others, you're right.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X