This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annoying CAST MEMBER stories!

This past May, Vic and I found a nice spot near the castle to watch the fireworks. We still had about 45 minutes until showtime so I decided to pop over to Coca Cola Corner for a couple of hot dogs. There were about five people in line ahead of me. The CM filling the orders was so slow it was almost amusing. After nearly 30 minutes, the man ahead of me finally reached the counter and asked for two hot dogs, two pretzels and two Cokes. The CM wandered over to the bin holding the pre-made dogs, talked to another CM for awhile then eventually wandered back with the dogs. He then went to the window with the pretzel rack, stared at it for a long while, then grabbed a pair of tongs. After much fumbling, he managed to remove a pretzel from the rack (I guess some people have little aptitude with tools) It was almost painful to watch him then try to insert the pretzel into a paper bag. He brought the bagged pretzel to the counter and went back to repeat the entire process (including the staring-at-the-window part) with pretzel #2. Each of the two Cokes was laboriously filled and capped. As he rang up the order, he shoved a large paper bag toward the guest. The guest was, apparently, expected to bag his own order while the CM hunted for the appropriate keys on the cash register. Two Cokes, two dogs and two pretzels: 10 minutes. When I finally got to the front, I ordered two hot dogs and one Coke. He got my order wrong... but by now I just wanted to get away. Even though I had gotten in line 45 minutes before the start of the fireworks, I only got back to Victoria mere moments before the show started. In all fairness, this was probably a new CM with little experience in a high volume food service situation. :blink:

Another? OK.

Vic and I wanted a Dole Whip. There was no line so we went right up to the counter. The lone CM was animatedly talking on the phone. After avoiding eye contact with us for at least a minute, she paused her phone chatter just long enough to say, "The machine is broke." She then turned away from us and continued her conversation. :bang:

Now some good stories to offset the above:

I have a great respect for the custodial CMs who are charged with wandering the park with a broom and a scoop. It can't be a very stimulating job. I've also had nothing but positive contact with them. Once, while having a smoke in the designated area near Big Thunder Ranch, a gentleman with a broom and scoop came to clean up the area. He could have just done his job and left. Instead, he took a moment to ask me how I had enjoyed my visit to Disneyland, talk about the weather and generally be cordial. That was just nice! Recently, while I was in the Smoking Area near the Columbia, another custodial CM came by and asked us if we would like to hear some Disney trivia. I guess he figured while us nicotine slaves were corraled in our pen sullenly inhaling our poisons, he would try to make it a positive experience. He regaled us with Disney tales and asked trivia questions. He rewarded correct answers with lollipops. Victoria got one right and received a sticker proclaiming her a "Citizen Of Disneyland." When we left the park that evening, the DLRR crew was atop the bridge wishing us all a pleasant night and inviting us to come back soon. Finally, I always enjoy it when the turnstile CM hands back my AP after scanning it and says, "Welcome home, Tom!" :clap:
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by MSEPLightningBug
      I looked at his name badge and it said "Class of 2005" being the day after the anniversary, I can understand this kind of madness with no leads being around, but why aren't CM's trained? Either that or he was too busy chatting during training - he didn't appear old enough to have a drivers license! What happened to quality and pride at DLR?
      A similar thing happened at the Frontierland Mercantile Store, on a CM Party night. The poor girl helping us had no clue how to ring up the stuff with the correct discount, got the wrong discount, had to re-ring it up again. I tried to make sure she got all of the information she needed to void the first sale, but the poor girl had just been trained the day before and got left on her own. I didn't get angry at all, because it wasn't her fault they didn't have someone there to make sure she would be comfortable with her task. Having trained several people in different jobs over the years that's important. It's just sad that Disney apparently hasn't learned to improve on this over the years.

Comment

But I will say that there have been several CM's that have done a wonderful job and I always try to make a point of saying thank you.

Comment

I don't have any really bad stories, none that stick out in my mind. But I do however have to say that the man who plays Hercules is an excellent CM. My friend and I have been playing this game with him the last month or two to see if he remembers our names every Friday we go to visit him and he always does, plus he stops and talks to us for a few minutes and really lives up to being my Disney hero. I always look forward to a special hug from him, he brightens up every one of my trips He even took time during the Drawn to Magic show (that's where we visit him) to say our names when he ran out, it was the funniest thing that's ever happened to me there.

Comment

Originally posted by idontneedaname
            not necessarily

I'm done with this topic
            Thank you for getting off this topic, because well nevermind!
            THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Comment

Originally posted by idontneedaname
              would it be right for a CM working the entrance gate let his/hers friends in for free?
              no

would it be right if a CM working in the stores giving his/hers friends free souvenirs?
              no

then why is it right giving free food to friends? because it's under $10?

there is no way to justify it. it is stealing
              Yeah, but I have had a CM give me one for free before too- I bought one, and she gave me two of what I ordered. When I asked about it, she just said to have a nice day. I didn't say I knew any castmembers, and I even *gasp* showed my ap card. I didn't do anything different then I usually do when I order from there (which was last night...yuuuummm).
              It's Just me, Jenn.
              "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

Comment

Oh, and my favorite CM story: while we were waiting to see Asimo, I took my two little ones to talk to Stich since we had never done it. The CM (I can't remember his name), chatted with me for about 45 min until it was our turn, got the kids crayons and coloring papers, chased my 2 year old around the waiting area, and sure made my day for that trip. The kids hated Stich after all that, they still love Asimo.
                It's Just me, Jenn.
                "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

Comment

When I finally got to go on the vmk tour (which was something that I had been looking forward to for months), let's just say that the tour guide wasn't all that nice to me. I don't remember what she said exactly, but from what she was saying and her mannerisms directed towards me, she was heavily implying that I was a complete ditz who didn't deserve any respect, and I hadn't done anything to gain that impression. She was extremely rude and rather full of herself...after about 5 minutes I wanted to leave the tour just because of the way she had treated me. Gah.

But as for a good CM, I must say that from this one experience at the Blue Bayou, I have never had such wonderful service at a restaraunt. Our waitress had our drinks to us in 2-3 minutes and our food and dessert in 5 minutes! And in any time in-between, she was constantly checking up on us, very sweet and making sure everything was fine. At the same time, she was serving a table next to us, where this 10 year old brat was sitting with I'm guessing her parents, not sure. Anyway, when she got her food, I don't even know if she remotely touched it or anything, but she just sat back loftily and crossed her arms in a huff. The poor CM asked kindly with concern if she wanted a different meal, and she would get it to her right away. The brat didn't even look at her, let alone say anything! The poor CM still kept a smile on her face, though, and got the kid a new meal really quickly. I was in absolute awe...I wouldn't have that much patience for anyone. I sent an email to DLR, remembering the CM's name, and telling them how great she was. I hope she got a promotion or something.

Comment

Yeah, Sunday in thev Emporium, I was in line to pay, a couple was in front of me paying. They were done and the CM just turned around and walked away, leaving me standing there openmouthed. [smilie=6,9,33] I guess she didn't want me to pay The other register had a line, so I wandered over to a different set of registers.

The girl behind the counter was busy talking to a couple of other CMs. They had spreadsheets or something out, so, not sure if she could check me out or if she was busying doing other things, I asked if she was open and she said "Of course!" (in a nice cheery way.) I told her that the the lady had just turned around and left me but she didn't seem to care. It still annoyd me though.
                    Good morning, son
                    In twenty years from now
                    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                    And I can tell you 'bout today
                    And how I picked you up and everything changed
                    It was pain
                    Sunny days and rain
                    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Bad CM Story-- Don't really have one, although there have been a few who seem to dislike their jobs, no magic.

Good CM story---Ran from Paradise Pier to DL, rushing to take my out- of- state -never -been -to- DL relatives to Fantasmic. DH stayed with 6 kids at hotel so we could catch the show. Guess who had our passes? None of us! Dh had them at hotel in his wallet from Fastpass earlier. Trying to catch our breath, 5 mins til Fantasmic started, really embarassed to be holding up the CM at the gate. My one relative has only half an arm and is very very short and she was wearing a sleeveless tank. The CM at the gate was the one who let us in earlier in the day. She said she remembered us and she would let us in. "How many very short people with half an arm do you think I see every day?" she said, "Come on in, enjoy the show." I wish I could thank her without getting her in trouble.

Comment

I was a cm in Disneyworld working the photo shop at Tower of Terror (among other places) ....

Last trip to Disneyland I rode tower of terror and decided to get the photo. The cast member who helped us was fun and good. When she gave us the photo in the cute cardboard frame I, having much much experience with it, asked if we could have another frame so as not to crush the photo. I always seem to get the photo crushed.... anyway, she says "Of course you can!" all friendly and double frames the photo....... just then Her manager comes in and looks at her, looks at me, looks at the frame.... He says to me... "We are doing you a favor this one time. These are NOT souviners."
                        I say "Thank you very much. I only wanted it for...."
                        he breaks in "I know what you wanted, you wanted a free souvineer and that's not what this is for."
                        I am getting a tad angery so I say. "Is it important that I give it back to you?"
                        He says, "Don't be snoty, just remember in the future not to try and rip us off."

I'm a bit flabergasted. The original cast memeber who helped us was red with embaressment. I says to him, "Have a Disney day." and leave.

Disney Cast Members have what they call "Empowerment". It allows them to do whatever they think is nessicary to make a guests day perfect. It allows for the giving away of free food, free cardboard frames, free whatever if they feel that it would make a day better. They don't abuse this, but they are allowed to do it. It also allows them to take people to the front of a line if they want, get prefered seating, whatever.
                        I don't know if Mr. Manager was just having a bad day, but as MY manager said to me, "We don't care if your having the worst day of your life, You work for disney and the guests can only see the best of Disney in you."
                        St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

When I was down there with a friend in mid-October, we had one kind of bad cast member experience. I will say first, though, that absolutely everyone else was wonderful, including the woman in one of the stores on main street who had to deal with my inability to make decisions about gifts and cheerfully exchanged a bunch of stuff I had just bought for new things I'd found. (I am a bad shopper, I know.)

When my friend and I went on POTC, they were loading two boats at a time, and my friend and I were being directed towards the first, when a CM pulled us out of line and led us over to the second instead. He told us what number line to get into, but we didn't hear him because he had already started walking away. We tried to get his attention to find where we were supposed to be, but he ignored us. So we looked and saw that there was one empty slot/line at the boat he'd taken us to, and logically assumed that's where we were supposed to be.

And then, about thirty seconds later, he comes back over to us, and sort of shouts, "No, that's not right, you're supposed to be over there!" and leads us <i>back over</i> to the first boat, where we had been heading towards in the first place before he took us out of line to the second. *boggles* Then he gave us an absolutely nasty look and, honest to god, stomped his feet as he walked off. And, to add insult to injury, all of the lines at the first boat were full, so we had to wait for yet another boat.

But, as I said, all of the rest of the CMs we encountered that day were generous, nice, and unfailingly polite, so that was ok.

Comment

Originally posted by cbkonczak
                            I would chalk this one up to being funny and flattering. It's not like he exposed himself or something like that...He just found you attractive. That's a warm fuzzy in my world. :blush:
                            I'm not sure what kind of world you live in, but that's harassment in mine. He chased then down and made them feel uncomfortable. There is nothing worse than unwanted advances!
                            "Disneyland is the star, everything else is in the supporting role."
                            -Walt Disney

http://www.myspace.com/gregoryj

Comment

Toward the end of my tenure I'm sure I did some obnoxious things to guests. You just have to remember that these CM's have spent the last 12 hours (thanks to presenteeism) getting yelled at, cursed at, and shoved around all day. Often by people who don't know the rules, don't care about the rules, think that the rules apply to everyone but them, and that furthermore these same people don't read the signs, ignore the signs, really do check thier brains at the gate.

Guest: (five minute profanity laced tirade about why I won't let her three year old son on Indy)
                              Me: (Head cocked slightly) Are you done?
                              :sc:-"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food.":sc:

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanSkippa
                                Toward the end of my tenure I'm sure I did some obnoxious things to guests. You just have to remember that these CM's have spent the last 12 hours (thanks to presenteeism) getting yelled at, cursed at, and shoved around all day. Often by people who don't know the rules, don't care about the rules, think that the rules apply to everyone but them, and that furthermore these same people don't read the signs, ignore the signs, really do check thier brains at the gate.

Guest: (five minute profanity laced tirade about why I won't let her three year old son on Indy)
                                Me: (Head cocked slightly) Are you done?

So if someone yells at them then its okay for them to be rude the rest of the day to people who did not?

Comment

This isn't too bad but there is an older man who works at the front gate of DL that I have encountered several times. He never even looks at me or says anything. He just takes my AP scans it and THROWS is down on the area near the turnstyle. I have even tried saying hello, smiling, but nope he still hates his job.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland
                                    The girl behind the counter was busy talking to a couple of other CMs. They had spreadsheets or something out, so, not sure if she could check me out or if she was busying doing other things, I asked if she was open and she said "Of course!" (in a nice cheery way.) I told her that the the lady had just turned around and left me but she didn't seem to care. It still annoyd me though.
                                    Sounds like trainees, probably didn't know how to react to the previous situation. At least they were cheery and helpful though.
                                    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

I haven't had too many bad experiences.The only one I can remember occured in WDW at Kali River Rapids and is a negative memory I would rather forget. I really like to remember the CMs that keep that Disney magic. If it weren't for some of those CMs, I wouldn't love working at Disneyland as much as I do.

Last weekend I was visiting the Disneyland with my sister,her husband and their four year old daughter. I have been wanting to take my niece on Splash Mountain since she was born and I had a feeling this trip she would finally make the height requirement. We got fastpasses and when we returned she made the height requirement! We got to the loading area and my niece panicked. She wouldn't let go of my sister in order for us to get in the log. The CM that had placed us in the rows, Jennifer, saw my niece's uneasiness and did the nicest thing: she talked to my niece and told her she could sit side by side with my sister in the back and even hold on to a flashlight if it was the dark she was afraid of. After that she took a sticker out of her pocket, gave it to my niece and told her that since she was being so brave she was now deemed an honorary citizen for the day. It was such a nice gesture of Jennifer to make. It completely floored me that this CM would take the time to ensure that my niece was comfortable and that she wouldn't be afraid. I regret not being able to go to City Hall at the end of the day, but I'm sure that a cast member with so much kindness has received plenty of compliments.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralShang
                                        I haven't had too many bad experiences.The only one I can remember occured in WDW at Kali River Rapids and is a negative memory I would rather forget. I really like to remember the CMs that keep that Disney magic. If it weren't for some of those CMs, I wouldn't love working at Disneyland as much as I do.

Last weekend I was visiting the Disneyland with my sister,her husband and their four year old daughter. I have been wanting to take my niece on Splash Mountain since she was born and I had a feeling this trip she would finally make the height requirement. We got fastpasses and when we returned she made the height requirement! We got to the loading area and my niece panicked. She wouldn't let go of my sister in order for us to get in the log. The CM that had placed us in the rows, Jennifer, saw my niece's uneasiness and did the nicest thing: she talked to my niece and told her she could sit side by side with my sister in the back and even hold on to a flashlight if it was the dark she was afraid of. After that she took a sticker out of her pocket, gave it to my niece and told her that since she was being so brave she was now deemed an honorary citizen for the day. It was such a nice gesture of Jennifer to make. It completely floored me that this CM would take the time to ensure that my niece was comfortable and that she wouldn't be afraid. I regret not being able to go to City Hall at the end of the day, but I'm sure that a cast member with so much kindness has received plenty of compliments.
                                        you should Email the park about this she can still get the compliment.. I know jen she rocks

Comment

Originally posted by skycrashesdown
                                          When I was down there with a friend in mid-October, we had one kind of bad cast member experience. I will say first, though, that absolutely everyone else was wonderful, including the woman in one of the stores on main street who had to deal with my inability to make decisions about gifts and cheerfully exchanged a bunch of stuff I had just bought for new things I'd found. (I am a bad shopper, I know.)

When my friend and I went on POTC, they were loading two boats at a time, and my friend and I were being directed towards the first, when a CM pulled us out of line and led us over to the second instead. He told us what number line to get into, but we didn't hear him because he had already started walking away. We tried to get his attention to find where we were supposed to be, but he ignored us. So we looked and saw that there was one empty slot/line at the boat he'd taken us to, and logically assumed that's where we were supposed to be.

And then, about thirty seconds later, he comes back over to us, and sort of shouts, "No, that's not right, you're supposed to be over there!" and leads us <i>back over</i> to the first boat, where we had been heading towards in the first place before he took us out of line to the second. *boggles* Then he gave us an absolutely nasty look and, honest to god, stomped his feet as he walked off. And, to add insult to injury, all of the lines at the first boat were full, so we had to wait for yet another boat.

But, as I said, all of the rest of the CMs we encountered that day were generous, nice, and unfailingly polite, so that was ok.

Did he have coke-bottle glasses and a really loud voice? We had loading problems for the first time at POTC when we went on Thanksgiving, and it was a guy fitting that description. The place was empty, a walk-in, because of the ongoing Fantasmic. There was a couple in front of us, he said row 1. We walk up, he says row 1.

The couple in front were plus-sized people. We're plus-sized people. The front row of a POTC boat won't hold four -slim- adults comfortably, and it isn't like the line was packed and he had to cram the boats! He loaded the middle of the boat okay, but left the BACK row EMPTY.

Look, I'm not a CM, but even I know that if you put four big people in the front row and leave the back row empty, you have a severely unbalanced boat. So, we just left row 1 once we saw there wasn't even room for one of us in row 1 and sat in the back and enjoyed our ride. The other guests saw all this happen and had amused looks on their faces just based on his demeanor. I said 'apparently it's comedy night here at Pirates of the Carribean, where struggling young comedians get to try out their material...' The laugh I got was worth the brief annoyance.
                                          Mr. Dark
                                          Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X