X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EagleWings
    replied
    Re: Annoying CAST MEMBER stories!

That's weird, I always notice CMs holding up the line so parties can go together. Maybe not so much on SM but on other rides I see it happen. I don't mind at all and I woulda complained to City Hall if I was you.

Leave a comment:

• G.I. Mom
    replied

My bad experience was last September at Space Mountain.
    We took my daughter and my two step daughters (whom we only see sporadically) to Disneyland. Last time we all rode SM together was 2001. We always buy the picture as a souvenir, since we can only manage to take all the girls every couple of years

This recent trip we went into the ride and said "5" so they loaded us 2, 2 and 1 (separate cars). We were so excited to ride it after so long that we did not care or notice that we were not all together.
    2nd time we rode, my 17 year old stepdaughter was at the front so I told her make sure you ask CM to put us all together in one car, please (for the picture)...I heard CM mumble something to her and they still loaded us separately...of course, who wants to make a big fuss and hold the line?

3rd (and last time we got to ride SM on this trip) I decide my stepdaughter was not assertive enough, I'm going to ask (nicely of course) for all 5 of us to be loaded in one car so we can have a picture together IN ONE CAR. The CM, a girl this time, just rudely told me she could not do it...basically she had an attitute that said"do you want to ride or not because look at the line behind you" she could not care less about my silly picture.

I was really peeved, it's a silly but a lot of people only get to go to the park so often KWIM? And what was the big deal with putting us in the same car anyway? Yes, you could kind of see all of us in one of the shots but other times we've sat 2,2,1 (my hubby in the back) in one car and the picture is great!

OK, vent over I feel better now

Leave a comment:

• ESRLoop
    replied

The Cast Members are indeed trained that if a child does not want to go on the attraction they cannot allow the child on, regardless of what the parent says for safety reasons. Same as the argument "I'm the parent, I say its OK if my child goes on this attraction even though hes under the height restriction."

That being said... the Cast Members should have come up with a reasonable solution, such as a parent swap pass, maybe talking to the child to see if they can get him to agree to go on the attraction, etc.

Leave a comment:

• DifrntDrmr
    replied

Originally posted by splashmountainfreak
    That kind of stuff really ticks me off. If he was strapped in there was no way he could get out, even if he tried, so I don't really see the "safety issue" there. And it's not their place to tell you whether or not he should ride. I hope you reported them to City Hall or something.
    The safety restraints are only designed to hold you in based on the normal operation of the ride.

Leave a comment:

• splashmountainfreak
    replied

We were going on Space Mtn. and my 4 yr. old didn't want to go even though he likes other fast rides. We always make him go on it once and then if he doesn't like it, fine, he doesn't need to go. He was crying and once we sat down was holding on to my arm and hiding his head. He wasn't trying to get out or anything, but a CM came up and asked him if he wanted to go on it and he said no, so they unloaded the train and wouldn't let him on. We were SOOO upset and I was really embarrassed. We had 4 CMs surrounding us telling us he wasn't going on it because it wasn't safe. We really felt like they were ganging up on us. Not once did they try to make it o.k. or offer a solution like one of us could wait and do the baby swap. I feel like as a parent that it should be my choice. If he was trying to climb out after we were seated, then I could see problem, but he wasn't.
    That kind of stuff really ticks me off. If he was strapped in there was no way he could get out, even if he tried, so I don't really see the "safety issue" there. And it's not their place to tell you whether or not he should ride. I hope you reported them to City Hall or something.

Leave a comment:

• mistyisjafo
    replied

I'll admit that I was a "Bad" CM from time to time. It happens to the best of us!

Leave a comment:

• DifrntDrmr
    replied

You forgot gray hair!

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by DifrntDrmr
    All this doesn't change the fact that it is dangerous to take a kid on a ride that he is scared of. Sometimes being a parent means sacrificing the 40 minutes you spent on line for no reason at all. Of coarse, this comes from the Dad who's three year old was so scared on the ride that she wet herself and then cried because he (apparently wrongly) interpreted this to mean that she didn't want to ride again.
    Agreed. :ot: Sorry for veering off topic, but I think they need warning signs for the PARENTS for these rides. Something along the lines of :

WARNING: If you have high blood pressure, are currently in therapy, or are in an otherwise emotionally fragile state, do not wait in this freaking long line with your four year old, because he or she has a 95% chance of changing their mind at the last minute. Side effects of this experience include rapid heart rate, acid reflux, hair loss, and other undesirable things to numerous to mention. If symptoms persist, don't get back in line until your kids are in high school.

I'm just saying the tone sounded a bit judgemental a while back. Most of the time, the parents are still trying to figue out exactly what the kid wants while the kid is crying before getting on...be it the storybook ride, pirates, space mountain, or what have you. So....strapping a hysterical kid in to ride Space Mountain might not be a good idea. But the same kid on Winnie the Pooh, who could be LAUGHING in the next 30 seconds....it's the parents call. MY kids switch from crying to laughing all the time. Maybe it's just MY family that is psychotic. Hmmmm....

Leave a comment:

• EagleWings
    replied

I have a three year old nephew so yes I know how "parenting" goes. I take him to Disneyland quite often. I know even at four he won't like Space Mountain. It's not a little kids ride. I'm lucky I guess that he loves Fantasyland and has no problem with it. I really wouldn't mind if he changed his mind in a line and didn't want to go on a ride, because I'm there for him not for me. I would never force him onto a ride that is just so mean.

Leave a comment:

• Princess Picard
    replied

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
    O.K....but keep in mind that most 4 year olds are mind-numbingly psychotic. I've had three off these little monsters and it's MADDENING trying to figure out what they want, when they want it, and when their mood changes. (And if you skip nap time cuz you're trying to squeeze too much in...just save yourself the pain and head for the tram...)

On the way to Disneyland: "Daddy, I really want to go on Space Mountain."
    Other kids: "Yayyyy.....Space Mountain ....we can't wait!"
    In line at Space Mountain after 40 minute wait: "I don't want to go now."
    Other two kids: "But we really want to go!"
    Me: Son...if you don't want to go, we'll have to get out of line..."
    All three kids burst into tears. Head for exit with migrane.

NOW...I would never DREAM of taking my four year old on Space Mountain.

Wanna know why? Cuz the same thing happened except it was on FREAKIN PETER PAN!!!! My four year old doesn't want to go on FREAKIN PETER PAN AFTER A FREAKIN FORTY MINUTE WAIT!

AAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHH! :bang: It's usually after the 40 minute wait in the sun that you want to grab the kid and say "Suck it up, junior! You're getting on this ride and having the time of your life or we're going straight to the Pirates of the Caribbean where I will PERSONALLY feed you to the alligators in the swamp!! (eyes bugging out for extra effect)

So....let's cut the parents some slack here. Sometimes they just need a second to calm down. Other times...the train has left the station and it ain't coming back. We usually know our kids. And if we say they're psychotic....you'll just have to take our word for it. After a long day at Disneyland...really now. Who isn't? (I still have a twitch in my left eye from this experience...you know...like the the dude in the Pink Panther...)
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :roll:
    Hilarious post! TRUE, but hilarious!

Leave a comment:

• DifrntDrmr
    replied

Originally posted by localdisnyfan
    O.K....but keep in mind that most 4 year olds are mind-numbingly psychotic. I've had three off these little monsters and it's MADDENING trying to figure out what they want, when they want it, and when their mood changes. (And if you skip nap time cuz you're trying to squeeze too much in...just save yourself the pain and head for the tram...)

Wanna know why? Cuz the same thing happened except it was on FREAKIN PETER PAN!!!! My four year old doesn't want to go on FREAKIN PETER PAN AFTER A FREAKIN FORTY MINUTE WAIT!

AAAAAAAUUUUUGGGGHH! :bang: It's usually after the 40 minute wait in the sun that you want to grab the kid and say "Suck it up, junior! You're getting on this ride and having the time of your life or we're going straight to the Pirates of the Caribbean where I will PERSONALLY feed you to the alligators in the swamp!! (eyes bugging out for extra effect)

So....let's cut the parents some slack here. Sometimes they just need a second to calm down. Other times...the train has left the station and it ain't coming back. We usually know our kids. And if we say they're psychotic....you'll just have to take our word for it. After a long day at Disneyland...really now. Who isn't? (I still have a twitch in my left eye from this experience...you know...like the the dude in the Pink Panther...)
    All this doesn't change the fact that it is dangerous to take a kid on a ride that he is scared of. Sometimes being a parent means sacrificing the 40 minutes you spent on line for no reason at all. Of coarse, this comes from the Dad who's three year old was so scared on the ride that she wet herself and then cried because he (apparently wrongly) interpreted this to mean that she didn't want to ride again.

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

....continues rant....

AND THE STORY BOOK!! How many of you have four year olds that won't get on the story book ride because of that STUPID WHALE???

Me: Look son....you can see allll the way through his mouth to the other side...see the daylight?

Four year old: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    (takes breath)
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Enough to push you right clean over the edge.....

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by EagleWings
    Um from what I've heard it's policy that if someone doesnt want to go on the ride and is making that much of a fuss then they don't go on, it's even written on signs at Knotts. Four years old is pretty young and forcing them to do stuff they dont want to do could be pretty traumatic for them. Be nice.

Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-20-2005, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• EagleWings
    replied

Originally posted by DifrntDrmr
    Not only traumatic, but very unsafe. He may not have been trying to leave the ride at that point, but what would happen if he freaked out during the ride? I think the cast members did the right thing.

The difference between the Space Mountain and Soaring casts may have been due to the way the rides are loaded. Soaring is a more casual load. With Space Mountain, the incident is visibly holding up the entire line.
    Yeah and physical things can happen to a person so freaked out and terrified. I agree with the cast members. If he was that freaked out then just drop it, it's only a ride you can go on later without him.

Leave a comment:

• melmel
    replied

I'm really bad. Since I'm now a cast member, I haven't had any bad cast member experiences since I opened this thread, months ago. It's like, now I can put what all these CMs are going through in perspective, and I know they don't mean it to me personally. It's just what happens sometimes.

I know I've seen lots of times where I haven't been the best CM though. :/ But I try my hardest, and sometimes it's just too much, but I try to remember that the guests didn't hear it that last 2904756598476 times I've told other guests all day, "Unfortunately, we are all booked up today, tomorrow, and most of Wednesday because of the holiday this weekend. I can try to squeeze you in for a VERY late dinner, but that's really all I can do. Um, otherwise you can go ahead and check back throughout the day to see if we can accept you as a walk-in, based on any availability we might have inside the restaurant."

Leave a comment:

• DifrntDrmr
    replied

Originally posted by EagleWings
    Um from what I've heard it's policy that if someone doesnt want to go on the ride and is making that much of a fuss then they don't go on, it's even written on signs at Knotts. Four years old is pretty young and forcing them to do stuff they dont want to do could be pretty traumatic for them. Be nice.
    Not only traumatic, but very unsafe. He may not have been trying to leave the ride at that point, but what would happen if he freaked out during the ride? I think the cast members did the right thing.

The difference between the Space Mountain and Soaring casts may have been due to the way the rides are loaded. Soaring is a more casual load. With Space Mountain, the incident is visibly holding up the entire line.

Leave a comment:

• EagleWings
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TTFN92
    replied

I have both a good and bad story. First, the bad. We were going on Space Mtn. and my 4 yr. old didn't want to go even though he likes other fast rides. We always make him go on it once and then if he doesn't like it, fine, he doesn't need to go. He was crying and once we sat down was holding on to my arm and hiding his head. He wasn't trying to get out or anything, but a CM came up and asked him if he wanted to go on it and he said no, so they unloaded the train and wouldn't let him on. We were SOOO upset and I was really embarrassed. We had 4 CMs surrounding us telling us he wasn't going on it because it wasn't safe. We really felt like they were ganging up on us. Not once did they try to make it o.k. or offer a solution like one of us could wait and do the baby swap. I feel like as a parent that it should be my choice. If he was trying to climb out after we were seated, then I could see problem, but he wasn't.

On the other hand, we were going on Soarin' on our last night and my 4 yr. old didn't want to go, even though he usually loves it. When we were waiting where you watch the t.v. monitor the CM was talking to him and telling him how much fun it would be. We got in and he wasn't calming down. Two CMs came and tried to calm him down, but I said it wasn't going to work. One of them took my husband and son out to wait in line again and afterward took my other 3 boys to the front middle so they could ride with my husband while I took my little one out. So, they helped us make the best of a situation while the CMs on Space Mtn. taught my DS that all he had to do was throw a major fit and he didn't have to go on anything. It made our trip pretty bad. That was his 3rd trip since March and has never done that before. CMs really need to be trained to handle those situations better. I wrote a letter after we got home. Wish I would have gotten the CMs names at Soarin', they were awesome!

Leave a comment:

• pveticket
    replied

Bad Story:
    I was really thirsty so i bought a coke from a cart by the haunted mansion. The man working the cart grabbed the money from my hand and gave me a water instead. I then again asked for a coke so he rolled his eyes and said " Picky aren't you?". I don't think its that big of a deal, but thats my only bad story
    Good Story:
    This actually happened last night:
    My best friend and brother went to DL last night. I was stuck home with a mild cold and babysitting some toddlers. They went to the Mad Hatter a little bit before they left to get me a personalized Mouse Ears hat. So they lady there was really nice, got my name on it AND wrote me a get well soon card. It was the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for me.

Leave a comment:

• splashmountainfreak
    replied

I have only once experienced a CM that annoyed to me that I can remember. I was in the Single Rider line for Splash Mountain, and there were tons of logs that had an extra seat to fill. However, this CM apparently had a prejudice against Single Riders, and only let them on roughly once every 40 boats or so. We mine as well have waited in the normal line and sat together. Thankfully however, a better CM replaced him after a while, and whenever there was an empty seat to fill she gladly used one of the Single Riders, which I understand is the whole purpose of the system.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X