This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Bayou Lunch on 6/21 Review w/plenty of pics

Thanks to a CM friend of mine I got to have lunch today (although it did turn into a late lunch) at the Blue Bayou and thought I'd do a full review with pictures.

The reservation we had was for 12:50 pm, but unfortunately we didn't even get checked in until 1:30 pm because security thought one of the people in our party was dressed up as a Disney character (Which was BS, she was just in a black boustier and a black skirt.) Regardless, when we checked in, the hostess said they were experiencing delays and it would be 30-40 minutes to be seated and we would have to wait inside the Blue Bayou's little waiting area and if we left and were called, we'd lose our reservation. (My first big complaint. How much would it really cost for Disney to have a restaurant with big demand to have a beeper system like any regular old TGI Friday's or Chili's.) It was actually true. We weren't actually seated for almost an entire hour (About 2:15 pm). Due to the previews the waiting area was incredibly crowded with very little room to even stand. The area itself is rather plain. Just a couple benches with a big stash of pirate booty in one corner (I mean treasure... not... you know). Oddly enough the wait was actually worthwhile because we were lucky enough to be seated right at the water. (Which I hear for the previews, can be requested, but it triples your wait time).

The dining area itself really hasn't changed much. The ambience is magnificent. I love the dim lighting and simulated candlelight at each table. Our waitress starts us off with Mint Juleps all around (The only thing available to drink beyond Coke/Sprite/Water in the beverage section). For some reason it almost tastes like the Mint Julep's have been watered down, but they're still cool and refreshing, plus they come with maraschino cherries and free refills. The waitress then came back to take our orders and since I had an appointment I needed to make, I decided to order all at once. Unfortunately I had to nix dessert because they had neither the Flying Dutchman nor the Creme Brulee and the Key Lime pie looked very much like it just came from the supermarket. I think it might have too, since the waitress said I'd still have a chance to order it later on if I changed my mind even though I was in a hurry.

They started us off with rolls and butter. The rolls seemed a bit stale and were hard to cut into, but the butter was amazingly good and smooth. The service itself was really good. The waitress always was refilling my Mint Julip even before I realized I was almost done and she was amazingly nice. I noticed they offered for sale chocolate doubloons and when I asked about them, she just gave me a handful. Plus she gave us extra menus and kids menus as well for souveniers.

As for the food. I had the Seafood Jambalaya with the wedge salad. The salad itself was 2 pieces of lettuce, a tomato slice, some avocado and a little bit of chopped sausage with dressing. The dressing itself was really good and melded really well considering the salad had sausage, which isn't a usual addition to salads; except there wasn't much else to it. I'd actually be interested in seeing a entree size of the salad. I think that would be a perfect addition to the menu. The Jambalaya was god awful. The tastes did not synch up at all. It feels like in the kitchen they have a station that generically cooks all the seafood items (crab, shrimp, mahi mahi) and they just threw it into the pile of dirty rice. It basically tastes like they used the leftover from the other full sized portions of each of these items and threw it in without regards to the taste or how the tastes themselves combine.

I have to say though, the ambience is still magnificent. Although it was a bit infuriating to every once in a while see a boat pass by that actually had people on it. The thing I love the most is how in conjunction with the POTC ride scene the restaurant sits in, the restaurant remains relatively calm and quiet regardless of the size and amount of people in there. Plus it's such an amazing feeling to walk into pure twilight from the hot, humid mid-day sun outside.

CONCLUSION

At the Blue Bayou you're paying for the ambience and the experience rather than a high class meal. IMHO, not worth a repeat visit. I've had much better food for a fraction of the price at Denny's. However, being inside that location is something hard to describe in words. If you're looking for a unique experience for that special occassion ( First time at DLR with a special person or family member / Birthday / Anniversary / Maybe even marriage proposal) the Blue Bayou would be where you could make the memory. If you're in search of good food; look elsewhere.

And now... pictures!!!

The crowds outside the restaurant, fighting to get in.

The crowds inside, waiting to be seated.

Pirate Booty!

More of the waiting area.

The inside of the restaurant itself.

Hard rolls

Wedge Salad

Gumbo

The Chicken

Seafood Jambalaya

Doubloons

BATHROOMS!

Here are some shots onto the ride itself in full operating glory.

*mutters incoherently*

Sadako out of the well and into the Bayou

Sadako enjoying a Mint Julep!

Our wonderful table by the Bayou

The Lunch and childrens menus

Last edited by Sadako; 06-22-2006, 01:12 PM.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Re: Blue Bayou Lunch on 6/21 Review w/plenty of pics

I noticed that the mint julep seemed watered down today. I mentioned it to our manager, but I think he had A LOT of other things on his plate, so it wasn't a main concern.

As for the jambalaya, it's AWESOME! How could you hate it! The mahi mahi and the chicken look really similar, so that when you bite into them, it's a big surprise! The mahi mahi is SUCH a treat!

It's impossible that they "reuse" things to make the food because all the food is cooked to order. They may use the same PIECES of meat, but it's hardly recooked, reused, or anything with the other dishes.

There's never "extra" food because everything is cooked to order.

I could have eaten that jambalaya for days, but I'm dieting and I didn't have any more room in my tummy.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

Another note-- the gumbo is NOT vegetarian, it has tasso ham, andouille sausage and has a chicken and beef base.
      Member of the Disney Class of 2005
      Disneyland CM for 4 years.
      May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

Thanks for the update Sadako. It's nice to see the Blue Bayou come back. The Jumbalaya looks delicious! Can't wait to try some of the other items on the rest of the menu.
        1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Thans for the great review and pics! I had hoped that the BB had improved its food quality from what I knew it to be in the past (and again, I know what I'm talking about)...and maybe you just caught it on a bad day in the soft opening stage...but it sounds like more of the same...you're paying (and paying and paying) for the experience and ambience...

Again, nice meeting you Sunday.

--Barry
          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by melmel
            As for the jambalaya, it's AWESOME! How could you hate it! The mahi mahi and the chicken look really similar, so that when you bite into them, it's a big surprise! The mahi mahi is SUCH a treat!

It's impossible that they "reuse" things to make the food because all the food is cooked to order. They may use the same PIECES of meat, but it's hardly recooked, reused, or anything with the other dishes.

There's never "extra" food because everything is cooked to order.

I could have eaten that jambalaya for days, but I'm dieting and I didn't have any more room in my tummy.
            I hate to say it, but I've had much better Jambalaya at Mimi's Cafe and Cheesecake Factory for less than half the price. I LOVE Jambalaya. It's one of my favorite dishes. The flavors in what I consider good Jambalaya to me mix together so that it feels like they belong together and complement each other. This Jambalaya tasted like the items didn't belong together and were cooked in entirely separate and unrelated manners. Kinda like trying to mix water and oil. It's just my opinion though and we all know what opinions are like
            Last edited by Sadako; 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM.
            Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Comment

Originally posted by Radiobarry
              Thans for the great review and pics! I had hoped that the BB had improved its food quality from what I knew it to be in the past (and again, I know what I'm talking about)...and maybe you just caught it on a bad day in the soft opening stage...but it sounds like more of the same...you're paying (and paying and paying) for the experience and ambience...

Again, nice meeting you Sunday.

--Barry
              Unfortunately the ways the reviews are starting to tally, it looks the the food quality hasn't gone up with the refurb... kinda strange because I remember going there with my dad back in 1997 and the food was pretty darn good back then.

It was great meeting you too! Hopefully you can come out to more meets soon! ^_^
              Julie Rei

Comment

Hey!...We were sitting right next (behind?) you!

You caught us in a few of your pictures.

If I would have known you were an MC'er, we would have introduced ourselves, though we were trying to keep a "low-profile" inside, since we were "crashers" LOL.

Nice pix!

Thanks!

Comment

After reading melmel's comments I'm very eager to give it a go.

(off topic to melmel: my nephew had his interview today. He must have ranked pretty high in his survey and interview, because they offered him Club 33! He was so excited that he called me as he was leaving TDA to tell me about it. Thanks for your tips and info!)

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMickey
                    Hey!...We were sitting right next (behind?) you!

You caught us in a few of your pictures.!
                    Really??? Which ones? O_O
                    Julie Rei

Comment

The family of six. I actually stood right next to you to take a pic of the water and while I was checking my camera, you took a pic of the dinner roll with me in the background.

We're also in the "bathroom" pic, and my daughter is in another one.

You actually took better pix of my family than I did!

Thanks! LOL

Comment

One good question, based on the description and photo:

Just how different is the jambalaya from that served at French Market? I think that stuff is delicious, and of course it's a fraction of the cost. It looks almost identical.
                        Mr. Dark
                        Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Nice photos Sadako, i take it they were just testing the ride and r they the new paint scheme for the boats or were they always like that?

Comment

How fun, even if you did not enjoy the food (the salad looks horrible). I am so jealous but happy for you

You should have pitched one of those hard rolls as those lucky jerks riding in the occasional boats :lol:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and most of all PHOTOS!

PS - your friend dressed in black looked very attractive but how in the world did they mistake her to be dressed like a character? Who did they think she was?

Comment

Originally posted by Grimezy
                              Nice photos Sadako, i take it they were just testing the ride and r they the new paint scheme for the boats or were they always like that?
                              Those do look like new boats!!
                              "Remember: when life gives you lemons, just be glad you're not a zebra."
                              - Skipper Mike

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X