Review from members against the POTC refresh?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CAspace
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2006

Review from members against the POTC refresh?

Hi, I am interested in reading a Pirates review from someone who was initially against the idea of the "Refresh".

What do you think now after seeing it? Were you right about the upgrade tainting Walt's original vision of the ride? or have you had a change of heart?
  • CAspace
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2006

Re: Review from members against the POTC refresh?

I guess none of the anti refresh people have checked it out yet. Perhaps tonight we will hear from some of them.

Comment

• pveticket
      MiceChatter
      • Jan 2005

I loved it. I posted my review on here, it was great

Comment

• CAspace
        MiceChatter
        • Jan 2006

and you were originally very against the idea?

Comment

• Gremlin
          • Jan 2006

Here's what I posted in another thread. I was initially against it.. but now I can live with it. If they'd make ONE change to it, I'd actually be even more happy (bring back Yo Ho Yo Ho sooner in the ride):

I rode it twice today, and the effect (Davy Jones) is great. If you could get your entire boat to act like they're getting wet, the people behind you would definitely think you're actually going under a waterfall.

I like the music in the grotto.. It sounds like it's just a change on the Yo Ho Yo Ho theme.

The only changes I cannot really stomach (I love the refurb besides them) are that they do not begin the Yo Ho Yo Ho song until the 3 singing-pirates-with-the-donkey. It seems too abrupt and doesn't flow well. I also don't like the missing track after "dead men tell no tales" (no fear of evil curses). And, of course, I don't like the captain of the ship being replaced. "Cockroaches" isnt as good as "****-er-oachers".

Over all, it's positive for me. Sparrow didn't ruin things at all.. it was mainly other changes I dislike. Plus the audioanimatronics are great.

Comment

• barfownz
            Legend
            • Nov 2005

The thing i was mad about was they took out the drunk pirate on the bridge, what is replaced there now?

Comment

• Gremlin
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by barfownz
              The thing i was mad about was they took out the drunk pirate on the bridge, what is replaced there now?
              He's there.. in all his dirty-foot glory.

Comment

• pveticket
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by CAspace
                and you were originally very against the idea?
                Oh no way, i love the movie and i trusted WED

Comment

• barfownz
                  Legend
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Gremlin
                  He's there.. in all his dirty-foot glory.

He was taken out when i rode the old ride for my last time..Did they fix him up or what?

Comment

• Gremlin
                    • Jan 2006

He was taken out when i rode the old ride for my last time..Did they fix him up or what?
                    He looks the same as I remember him. I remember being sad when I rode under that bridge in Feb/Mar thinking they took him out permanently (or were re-using him for Jack or something.) Fortunately, he's the same. Though his foot isn't AS dirty (but still somewhat dirty)

Comment

• CAspace
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gremlin
                      Here's what I posted in another thread. I was initially against it.. but now I can live with it. If they'd make ONE change to it, I'd actually be even more happy (bring back Yo Ho Yo Ho sooner in the ride):
                      Gremlin,
                      Thanks for the information.
                      What do you think of the Que music?

I am a bit sad to hear that the "evil curses" line has been axed from the transition tunnel.
                      It is also going to be hard to not hear/see the original pirate ship captain dialogue, that was my favorite character from the attraction.

Comment

• AP2CM
                        "Retired" DL Tour Guide
                        • Jan 2005

the drunk pirate is still on the bridge (just before the dungeon scene). He's been updated to hold a flaming jub of rum and he has a flaming cup of rum next to him.
                        -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
                        -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
                        --DCA: World Of Color

Comment

• Gremlin
                          • Jan 2006

Gremlin,
                          Thanks for the information.
                          What do you think of the Que music?

I am a bit sad to hear that the "evil curses" line has been axed from the transition tunnel.
                          It is also going to be hard to not hear/see the original pirate ship captain dialogue, that was my favorite character from the attraction.
                          The queue music is just the old queue song, except louder. You know the rendition of "yo ho yo ho" that you hear when climbing the lift at the end, and before you get to the dock? It's the same song. Maybe the new speakers just let us hear it better now, but it fits well, of course.

Ooh, and the new Island in the queue looks very nice. Much more like an Island. I don't miss the fiber-optic sign too much. The Bayou seems much darker. And the first time I rode the ride, there was a DIFFERENT song that the banjo was playing. The second time I rode it, it was playing the original song. I'm wondering if it alternates.

Comment

• CAspace
                            MiceChatter
                            • Jan 2006

The Que music I remember is like a sort of loungy version of the yo ho song, instrumental only, with a flute for the main inst. If I am remembering correctly.

Comment

• Gremlin
                              • Jan 2006

The Que music I remember is like a sort of loungy version of the yo ho song, instrumental only, with a flute for the main inst. If I am remembering correctly.
                              That's it. I don't know if it's a flute, but some wind instrument. The new music in the grotto fits, in my opinion. I initially thought that having music in the Battle scene between the fort & ship would be distracting, but it actually creates tension in the room. (The room is too misty now, though. It needed more mist, but now you can't see any of the other pirates except for the Captain. I could barely make out the outline of the ones who shoot the cannons.)

Comment

• CAspace
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2006

After watching the you tube ride through I am not sure how I feel at all about the Hans Zimmer score in the main battle sequence. It works in the movie but geez do we have to be bombarded with that during the ride. I cannot imagine that transition into the other scenes working properly. I will have to withold judgement after I experience the ride live about 10 or 20 times but I just do not feel too good about that at this moment.
                                Any members against the Refresh who have experienced it in person care to ellaborate on that sequence? (Battle sequence, Zimmerman score?)

Comment

• Athlonacon
                                  FastPass n00b
                                  • Feb 2005

I am curious how well this ride will withstand the test of time. It's very easy to get excited about something when it's new, but only the true classics stay fresh for longer than a few years. I remember back in 1998 being all amped about the all-new Tomorrowland, but then a couple years later I was really miserable. This is definitely NOT the New Tomorrowland, but we'll have to see if the novelty wears off or if it truly is an improvement over what was there.

I'm kind of worried that there's no more "silent" areas...at least that's what the ride through gives me the impression of. There's a lot of tense and dramatic music, but it doesn't really seem to let you catch your breath. One of the great things about Pirates was that Walt knew when to let the "wow factor" do the talking and keep the music out of it. I sure hope there are long periods of no music where you can take it all in without the music directing your emotion.

Comment

• CAspace
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Jan 2006

Good point, I am very concerned about this extra music dictating how I should feel in a particular scene. Film has certainly gone overboard with music blaring for the full two hours, I am hoping that we could have attractions not follow suite. It is ok to have quiet moments with ambient sounds (frogs, crickets, wind etc) I do not need to always be "told" how I should be feeling with music. I get that from the film.

Comment

• BetterThanThis
                                      Disney Geekstrordinaire
                                      • Jun 2006

He has been gone for a long time actually... So (whomever just posted) he's back though? Updated? That's awesome.
                                      Go make a life, not a living.

Comment

• Experiment626
                                        This is my car, Stitch :)
                                        • Oct 2005

I was looking at Darkbeer's photos and the dirty foot pirate is in there. He's back!
                                        http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                                        www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                                        http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X