X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emz84
    • Jan 2005

Reading an unofficial guidebook the other day that was a few years out of date it referred to the SSL as 'not the best ride in the park but cute'. Hmmm...personally I remember my expression on the on-ride photo as being perplexed. I seem to recall the queue area having some mildly amusing expressions on the intercom but overall found the ride to be frankly quite bizarre and perhaps ill-thought out

Comment

• Disneyfreak
      Banned User
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Metal God
      Knotts is about thrill rides. It has been going that way since the 70's
      Then why was the ride built in the 80's?

Comment

• ModHatter
        Minion
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Disneyfreak
        Then why was the ride built in the 80's?
        I thought the timeframe was off a bit myself. Yes, Knott's was caught up in the Loop craze of the 70s, but the obsession with thrill rides didn't really start until the untimely death of Soap Box Racers. To me, Knott's is about panning for gold and the Bird Cage Theater and Mystery Lodge and Grizzly -- er, Big Foot Rapids and Camp Snoopy. And Mrs. Knott's fried chicken. And Boysenberry everything. And Funnel cakes. I'm like Tom Brady on SNL about funnel cakes... But I digress. Knott's was about creating family attractions with the occasional Corkscrew or Montezuma's Revenge (and what a charming name for a ride, btw). In many ways, Knott's was a perfect blueprint for the kind of park DCA could have been. And in some ways, DCA did take a few lessons, but the wrong ones.

In all fairness though, it's also important to note that one of the reasons we saw Dinosaurs built was that Dinosaurs were extremely trendy at that time. They were everywhere. Plus, as with the SuperMonster Limos, the park needed a new attraction, and it was easier to replace something in an existing building than build something new from the ground up. Plus, it was also built in a space above a sprawling arcade complex. In the 80s, this was always packed. But over the years, the kids and the games themselves have become few and far between. So it makes more sense to tear out the buildings for a new ride now than it did back in the 80s.
        See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
        78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Disneyfreak
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by ModHatter
          I thought the timeframe was off a bit myself. Yes, Knott's was caught up in the Loop craze of the 70s, but the obsession with thrill rides didn't really start until the untimely death of Soap Box Racers. To me, Knott's is about panning for gold and the Bird Cage Theater and Mystery Lodge and Grizzly -- er, Big Foot Rapids and Camp Snoopy. And Mrs. Knott's fried chicken. And Boysenberry everything. And Funnel cakes. I'm like Tom Brady on SNL about funnel cakes... But I digress. Knott's was about creating family attractions with the occasional Corkscrew or Montezuma's Revenge (and what a charming name for a ride, btw). In many ways, Knott's was a perfect blueprint for the kind of park DCA could have been. And in some ways, DCA did take a few lessons, but the wrong ones.

In all fairness though, it's also important to note that one of the reasons we saw Dinosaurs built was that Dinosaurs were extremely trendy at that time. They were everywhere. Plus, as with the SuperMonster Limos, the park needed a new attraction, and it was easier to replace something in an existing building than build something new from the ground up. Plus, it was also built in a space above a sprawling arcade complex. In the 80s, this was always packed. But over the years, the kids and the games themselves have become few and far between. So it makes more sense to tear out the buildings for a new ride now than it did back in the 80s.
          I really wouldn't mind if they were planning to replace it with something of the same or better quality but the truth is that theme is on the endangered list at Knotts and it is not pleasent.

Comment

• ModHatter
            Minion
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Disneyfreak
            I really wouldn't mind if they were planning to replace it with something of the same or better quality but the truth is that theme is on the endangered list at Knotts and it is not pleasent.
            Very true. Like I say, between the loss of Beary Tales and Soap Box Racers, Knott's really went from my A list to the Bs, but I just see the park taking a downward slide lately, from themepark into amusement park.

Of course, that's the same trend eating away at DCA. Paradise Pier had a nice CONCEPT, but the execution, the inclusion of these generic carnival rides led to a disappointing lack of theme. People say there needs to be more for kids to do, and the point seems to have been that there needed to be more for the parents to do WITH their kids, but TDA took them too literally, and now we have a Bug's Land that has virtually nothing to do with California. And now with Monsters invading HPB, and Pixar being the basis of a parade and virtually every new attraction being developed for the park, theme is a slight breeze away from being extinct.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
              Banned User
              • Jan 2005

Soap Box Racers was the E TICKET to end all etickets it was just so fun. I was beyond pissed when they tore it down to make way for another "EXTREME COASTER".

Soap Box Racers > Everything else

Comment

• ModHatter
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626
                Soap Box Racers was the E TICKET to end all etickets it was just so fun. I was beyond pissed when they tore it down to make way for another "EXTREME COASTER".

Heck yes it was. And now that Knott's doesn't have it, DCA could build a new and improved version in the Route 66 area. They could apply the Victorian boardwalk theme to the whole Paradise Pier land, they could retheme the north side clockwise from Pizza Oom Mow Mow to the San Fran facades near Golden Dreams into Old Monterey and use the basic soapbox ride tech to create ride on Zorro's horse Tornado, or perhaps a comical race to catch Zorro, led by Sergeant Garcia. Best of all, it's already proven to be a great ride, full of theming opportunities, that is fun for the whole family. For DCA, that'd be a home run.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Lore
                  Animatronic
                  • Mar 2005

Bravo on theme. For me an attraction gets extra points for being on theme. Since SSL was slightly on theme for California AND Hollywood, I raise it 1/2 point to 1 on a scale of 10. I know I'm being generous here because gianted headed celebraties don't really exist in Hollywood. Still, it was a good try at being on theme, just a really bad try at a ride.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

Yoy know what? I don't think the ride is as bad as everyone thinks. In fact, lots of people never rode it in the first place. They just jump on the bandwagon because everyone else does. Kinda like when all the Anti-Bush stuff started. A lot of people didn't even have a real good understanding of the issues. Fahrenheit 9/11 comes out and EVERYONE starts hating Bush lol!

And about Kingdom of the Dinosaurs... Come on guys, the ride had crappy effects, crappy sound, and crappy smells. Personally, I think they should have updated it rather than scrap it. I'd rather see a a new dark ride than a roller coaster there however. It was basically a glorified "Tunnel Of Love" anyway, and I don't miss it THAT much... Someone put money in to make Calico Mine Co. better before that is scrapped too!!!

Comment

• ModHatter
                      Minion
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                      Yoy know what? I don't think the ride is as bad as everyone thinks. In fact, lots of people never rode it in the first place. They just jump on the bandwagon because everyone else does. Kinda like when all the Anti-Bush stuff started. A lot of people didn't even have a real good understanding of the issues. Fahrenheit 9/11 comes out and EVERYONE starts hating Bush lol!
                      Oh, come now, people hated Bush long before 9/11, much less Fahrenheit 9/11. Heck, if it hadn't been for his failure to prevent the worst incident of terrorism on American soil, his approval numbers would have been in the cellar.

The same is basically true of SuperSnooze Limo. For one thing, they previewed it on Rosie O'Donnell. So, you didn't necessarily need to ride it to see how bad it was. Many of Disney's more public failures are because they just aren't good enough concepts to even get people TO ride them, or buy a ticket for them. Yes, even though the same administrations closed rides like PeopleMover and the Subs, their closure of SSL elevated it to levels of mythic badness. But, really, having been on it myself, it is easily as bad as people say, if not worse.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• Disneyfreak
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Soulquarian

And about Kingdom of the Dinosaurs... Come on guys, the ride had crappy effects, crappy sound, and crappy smells. Personally, I think they should have updated it rather than scrap it. I'd rather see a a new dark ride than a roller coaster there however. It was basically a glorified "Tunnel Of Love" anyway, and I don't miss it THAT much... Someone put money in to make Calico Mine Co. better before that is scrapped too!!!
                        What was magical of the ride was the ride gave you chills down your spine. There isnt really any ride that I can name that gives you a cold chill. You really felt like you were in another time on that ride. I also agree though that the ride had a ton of potential with new technology.

Comment

• Fantasmico!
                          Merry 2014!
                          • Apr 2005

the best part of stuporstar, er, superstar limo was viewing your picture just before the ride ended. when i saw the expressions on my and my family's faces, we laughed and laughed and laughed. i wish they had sold those pics. would be the prize of my disney collection.
                          Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

• CoasterMatt
                            MiceChatter
                            • Feb 2005

Disneyfreak, if you think Kingdom of the Dinosnores was EVER a great ride, you would have creamed your jeans over Knott's Bear-y Tales (THE great dark ride that KoD took over). KBT had fun characters, a tune that could stick in your head like nobody's business, and it smelled WONDERFUL.
                            See more of my horrible photos (and a few good ones) at my Flickr photostream

Comment

• Lore
                              Animatronic
                              • Mar 2005

I rode Beary Tales AND Kingdom of the Dinosaurs many times. Beary Tales was better executed as the building as built for it, but I liked the time travel theme of KoD much better. KoD was still rather weak as the ceilings were too low for dinosaurs and, well, the dinosaurs looked like giant sponges and the T-Res sounded like a bored guy saying "roar, roar". Being so critical, it's no surprise I spent much more time at Disneyland.

Comment

• melmel
                                CM for 4 years!
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626

Amen brutha. I was so disappointed and upset when they tore those out. It pretty much ruined my week. :botox:
                                Member of the Disney Class of 2005
                                Disneyland CM for 4 years.
                                May 6, 2005 - present.

Comment

• TweedlDum9
                                  HollywoodsNewestSensation
                                  • Jan 2005

&quot;Mystery star hits L.A., and L.A. hits back!

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one who liked Superstar Limo. And I will definitely be joining the MySpace group.

I still get into little arguments at work over Superstar Limo, and I will defend it forever. And every day when we get off the tram on the way to Block Party and pass by all the limos sitting outside behind ToT, I always stop for a second and feel a little sad.

The thing I never understood about why people hated Superstar Limo was that is was JUST like all the other cheap-looking, wooden-cut-out dark rides over in Fantasyland. Snow White and Pinocchio may have a few more animatronic figures, but they are still covered with painted flats. They are no different from Superstar Limo.

Even if you hate (or should I say hated?) Superstar Limo, here is one thing you can't dispute, and one of the reasons why I most liked it: When DCA opened, all we heard about was how too many attractions were clones or cheap carnival rides with not enough for kids to do. Superstar Limo was UNIQUE to any Disney park, and it was one of the only things I could take my entire family on when we all went to DCA.

I totally agree with whoever pointed out that lots of people who say Superstar Limo was horrible probably never even rode the thing. Lest we forget, it wasn't even open for a full year (closed in January 2002).

To those of you who did experience Superstar Limo, I'm sure there was SOME part you liked. There's no way anyone (well, except Al Lutz)could have gone through the attraction hating everything...
                                  Last edited by TweedlDum9; 04-27-2005, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• ModHatter
                                    Minion
                                    • Jan 2005

One vital difference between Hitler's SSL and the Fantasyland darkrides was that the Fantasyland rides were actually populated with characters that people want to see. And they are represented faithfully. You can truly feel that 2-D characters have jumped off their painted backgrounds and been realized in 3-D.

Who seriously wanted to see a 3-D caricature of bad B-list ABC celebrities, many of whom had been demoted to the C list or lower by the time the ride closed?

The ride did have merits on paper, but the execution was just painfully bad. I still think Monsters will follow the same suit. At least Incredibles could make good use of the limo vehicles with a little cosmetic surgery, and SuperHero Limo would have a more current appeal. But, with Disney looking into the one-day parkhopper, it probably won't matter anyway,

-- Walt Disney

Comment

• dsnylndmom
                                      loves a silver lining
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by CoasterMatt
                                      Disneyfreak, if you think Kingdom of the Dinosnores was EVER a great ride, you would have creamed your jeans over Knott's Bear-y Tales (THE great dark ride that KoD took over). KBT had fun characters, a tune that could stick in your head like nobody's business, and it smelled WONDERFUL.
                                      AMEN CoasterMatt!!!! Beary Tales was superb! The smell of the boysenberry pie, the story the whole thing, I CRIED when they took that out to put in KoD. I've never liked KoD simply because it replaced my beloved Beary Tales. sniff sniff. Beary Tales was the best.

This one just made me MAD!! Ohh I was soo mad that they took the Soap Box Racers out, that ride was SO GREAT!!!

I miss the old Knotts

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• dshimel
                                        Banned User
                                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TweedlDum9
                                        To those of you who did experience Superstar Limo, I'm sure there was SOME part you liked. There's no way anyone (well, except Al Lutz)could have gone through the attraction hating everything...
                                        I thought the mud slide effect in the Malibu scene wasn't horrid.

Absolutely everything else was absolutely horrid....

We in an airport.... we're driving through a comedy club... we're on Rodeo drive... We're in malibu.... this poorly done and very creepy CGI guy keeps blabering at us about something or other on a tv screen... There are a bunch of way creepy fiberglass figures.....

OHHHH, THANK GAWD IT'S OVER!!!!!!!

Comment

• TweedlDum9
                                          HollywoodsNewestSensation
                                          • Jan 2005

"Swifty here, babe... Welcome to Hollywood!"

I'll give you that one, Dshimel... He was a pretty creepy-looking puppet.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X