Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    When does a a theme park need thrill rides? Does an amusement park need theming? When does a ride become dangerous? What % of the public is a safe % of the public to put at risk on thrill rides?

    I am sick of hearing of deaths on thrill rides. When people have a reasonable assumption that they do not have undiagnosed preexisting medical problems, I feel the onus must be on Disney to offer rides that seem thrilling but infact have limitations of speed and G-Force.

    Is it due to compitition amongst other thrill/amusment parks?

    I am sick over this.

    And please do not confuse the Big Thunder Mountain accident with these recent deaths by stroke, heart failure or other undiagnosed problems. That was a tragedy but its cause was elsewhere.
    sigpicDisney Road

  • #2
    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    There are parks that don't have thrill rides. They are called playgrounds and county fairs. Like theme parks, they usually become dangerous when the human 'stupidy factor' kicks in and the people don't use common sense.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

      There have been plenty of theme park deaths on mundane, calm rides as well. Not having "thrill rides" is not the answer.

      Some deaths simply can't be prevented. And if the public want's "thrill rides" with greater G forces, then Disney should provide those... within reason.

      Why turn all theme parks into a kiddie park just because some minute percentage of people could have an undiagnosed illness that could make more intense rides dangerous to them?

      Sounds like a classic case of throwing the baby out with the bath water.

      Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

      Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
      Everyone says that the U.S. doesnt make anything anymore, but thats not exactly true. Were the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

        It must be reasonable to assume that your average 12 year old boy is healthy on average to above average rides... but do they put any thought into the % of the number of people who at actually at risk?

        Sorry, I think I am ranting.
        sigpicDisney Road

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

          While I understand the frustration you feel, life is a series of calculated risks. And, while the recent deaths are unfortunate, certainly, there are so many more people who experience deaths and injuries by engaging in common, everyday activities like taking drives in their automobiles. So, pre-existing conditions that are not diagnosed are always going to be a risk that a patron of an amusement park assumes.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

            Today's episode at MGM is obviously tragic and my heart goes out to the child's family. However, tragic accidents like this are simply unavoidable. The rides at the Disney parks are very tame when you consider the rides at parks like Six Flags or Cedar Point. My opinion is that too many people believe that simply because a ride is at a Disney park, then it must be appropriate for anyone in the family. Obviously, this is not true. Regarding today's event, the fault lies with no one, not Disney, and not the child's family. People simply need to use their better judgement when riding any ride, and actually take the time to read the warnings that are posted everywhere before riding. However, the unfortunate truth is that even if everyone did follow these precautions, accidents would still happen. When you consider the enormous amount of people that visit Disney theme parks worldwide every day/week/month/year, their accident rate is amazingly low. In my opinion, the close proximity of the tragic accidents this year (particularly at Mission Space), is merely a fluke.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

              Originally posted by OogieBoogie
              There are parks that don't have thrill rides. They are called playgrounds and county fairs. Like theme parks, they usually become dangerous when the human 'stupidy factor' kicks in and the people don't use common sense.
              Totally understandable reply Oogie I am not sure what yout "county fair" comment is leading to.

              And yes, like those who were killed for standing on a ride such as back in the 60s on the Mattahorn are not the point I am tring to make....

              Lets say for argument sake, California Screaming is safe for 99.2% of 1 million people with no known or undiagnosed problems and those with problems, only .2 of that .8 are at risk. But when millions of people ride a ride -- such as Rock and Rollercoater -- it WILL led to unnessary deaths due to no fault of the rider.
              sigpicDisney Road

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                You must be referring to the incident this morning, where a 12 year old died in a Disney park in Florida, after riding the "Rock and Rollercoaster" at the MGM studios park.

                You could make the argument that by their very nature, roller coasters are extreme rides, designed to push human bodies to limits that invite incidents.

                But really, overall, roller coasters are safer than the car, bus, or taxi, you take to the park.

                And at this point, we have NO IDEA what the causation was for this death. It could have had nothing to do, really, with the ride, its design, or any park operation or management issues, at all. We just don't know yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                  Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist
                  While I understand the frustration you feel, life is a series of calculated risks. And, while the recent deaths are unfortunate, certainly, there are so many more people who experience deaths and injuries by engaging in common, everyday activities like taking drives in their automobiles. So, pre-existing conditions that are not diagnosed are always going to be a risk that a patron of an amusement park assumes.
                  Exactly -- how many millions of guests have been on Rockn Roller Coaster since it opened? Your chances of dying in a car accident on the way from the airport are MUCH MUCH higher. Yes, it is horrible and tragic, but not a reason to take out thrill rides altogether.
                  I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                  sigpic



                  Founding Member of the BA!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                    The simple FACT is you are several times more at risk of becoming injured on your way to and from an amusement/theme park than you are inside of the park on any of the rides.

                    Most deaths at amusement/theme parks are the result of one or two things.
                    1) Stupidity. These are people you think it's cool to do something like undo their restraint, stand up (except of stand up coasters of course ), or get out of the ride vehicle.
                    2) Undiagnosed Medical Condition. These people are sadly unaware that they are not as healthy as they seem. Some are so frail that the shock of a baloon popping could actually kill them, such as the poor little four year old you died after riding Mission: SPACE last year.

                    The Big Thunder Mountain Railroad accident that killed Mr. Torres is closer to what you should be concerned about. This was not a freak accident. This was the result of deliberate cuts in the maintainence program by upper management. But even these types of accidents are even rarer than those caused by stupid or medical conditions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                      Originally posted by Ryancr78
                      Today's episode at MGM is obviously tragic and my heart goes out to the child's family. However, tragic accidents like this are simply unavoidable. The rides at the Disney parks are very tame when you consider the rides at parks like Six Flags or Cedar Point. My opinion is that too many people believe that simply because a ride is at a Disney park, then it must be appropriate for anyone in the family. Obviously, this is not true. Regarding today's event, the fault lies with no one, not Disney, and not the child's family. People simply need to use their better judgement when riding any ride, and actually take the time to read the warnings that are posted everywhere before riding. However, the unfortunate truth is that even if everyone did follow these precautions, accidents would still happen. When you consider the enormous amount of people that visit Disney theme parks worldwide every day/week/month/year, their accident rate is amazingly low. In my opinion, the close proximity of the tragic accidents this year (particularly at Mission Space), is merely a fluke.
                      But if it were a fluke, they would not have altered the ride.

                      And yes, I agree strongly with your points, I suppose I am saying is does Disney need these rides at all? There must be other e-ticker rides that do not cause such a high % of injury. Let Six flags be Six flags and let Disney be Disney.

                      Thank you so much for your thoughful answer.
                      sigpicDisney Road

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                        Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                        2) Undiagnosed Medical Condition. These people are sadly unaware that they are not as healthy as they seem. Some are so frail that the shock of a baloon popping could actually kill them, such as the poor little four year old you died after riding Mission: SPACE last year.
                        That is a heck of an assumption but thank you for your considered input. You obviouslt put thought into it.
                        sigpicDisney Road

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                          With todays younger generations, yes I think parks do need thrill rides to survive. Because most people from my generation love to go "Extreme" and have a good thrill on these rides. Gentle rides just cant get our adrenaline going as much as thrill rides do.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                            Incidentally, did the autopsy report show an aneurysm or some such condition in the Mission: SPACE incident? I didn't follow the story.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

                              There is no way to prepare for or protect against undiagnosed conditions. There are millions of them, all with different needs. You simply cannot create anything that is a catch-all solution for everybody's needs. For example, many people are at risk for Vitamin D deficiencies and should get more sun (especially if they are from darker, more northern areas). Then there are the rare cases of people who can never venture out into the light because it will kill them. How do you create anything appropriate for both? Sure, I'm using extreme examples, but anyone who dies on an amusement park ride due to an undiagnosed condition IS an extreme example. And there's nothing we can do about it. If the ride hadn't killed them, something else would have. Such is the nature of having a condition that is aggravated by something as mundane as a roller coaster, and not knowing about it. Life just sucks like that sometimes.

                              Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X