Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Guests Know More About DL Than the CMs???

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Guests Know More About DL Than the CMs???

Originally posted by wrs28220
    No, it depends on how into their job they are, and how much of a Disney-phile they are. Alot of the time, you may know more about the attraction, than the castmember does. It doesn't mean they don't care, but you may just be more familiar. After all, it is just a job.
    This was originally brought up by wrs28220 in a thread about Monsters, Inc. in DCA - I thought it deserved its own thread. A lot of the time, I do think that we (APs :ap: frequent guests, etc.) know MORE THAN THE CAST MEMBERS!!! :blush: That reflects poorly on DL. I mean, I know DL is pretty desperate, but shouldn't they hire people with some general knowledge of DL???

Examples (some from WDW also):

1. CM told me that you COULD NOT use the FP after the return window time. (Everyone knows you can use a FP 8 hours later!!!)

2. CM at Voyage of the Little Mermaid in the Disney-MGM Studios had never seen/heard of "It's Tough to be a Bug!" in AK. (I know she works in a different park, but c'mon.....)

3. CM at a store in the Studios had never heard of Star Wars Weekends (and we were there DURING the month of Star Wars Weekends!)

4. CM in the Opera House told me that the Space Mountain mock-up inside had been there since May 2005. (No, it hadn't - I was there in June 2005 - it wasn't there. And I asked this question probably in December 2005.)

It just seems that there are a lot of incidents like this. :thumbdown Shouldn't CMs not only have knowledge of their specific area, but also the whole park, resort, etc.??? One day of training should be dedicated to actually seeing the attractions, eating at the restaurants, etc. :rules:

I usually assume that CMs are longtime DL fans and visitors like most of us are, sadly, this is not always the case........

Re: Do Guests Know More About DL Than the CMs???

Just a quick mention about #1 - I've never had a problem with Fast Passes, but a CM at Roger Rabbit, did give me a "lecture" that I was supposed to return during the hours on the ticket. She reluctantly let us pass though.

Also, some of us are just more addicted to Disney than others and enjoy the research.
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Comment

I have been a regular guest at Disneyland for the past two years, and have been a contractor for Walt Disney Imagineering. I heard from somewhere that the new avg. castmember stay is only weeks now. So most a/p's who have been coming to the park for years, do know more about Disneyland than many of the employees. I was at the park today and I saw a bunch of new faces with 2006 name tags, I doubt many of these employees know much about Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPrincess4590
        1. CM told me that you COULD NOT use the FP after the return window time. (Everyone knows you can use a FP 8 hours later!!!)
        I actually didn't know that.....haha. Is that technically allowed??
        Passive-Aggressive Peanut Butter Sandwich. x_x

Comment

Well, I know many things about the Disneyland Resort and I'm a cast members, its all about experience. Cast Members are encouraged to visit the parks to learn more about it. Also.

#1) The Fast Pass issue is something that we don't want all the guests to know, if everyone knew that you could return whenever, the Fast Pass line would be as long as standby.

#2) Ok so she didn't know about bugs life, I feel sorry if she had to remember every location in each of the 4 theme parks and the waterparks.

#3) Maybe the cast member was new and didn't know about the weekend events, maybe they didn't normally work weekends.

I totally agree though that more time should be made to learn more things about the park, but you can only do so much and most of it is hands on.
          Jeff Wayne

Comment

Well to go along with what Jeff said, the castmembers are under paid, poorly trained in many cases and only see Disneyland as a novelty. The management of Disneyland needs to invest more in the employees, pay them more and value their experience, as was the case up until the late 1990's. I remember back in the 80's when Disneyland would have to decline a hundred job applications, just to hire one employee. Now Disneyland will try to hire a hundred employees and only get one job application. I think soon Disneyland will have no choice but to return back to the old ways of handling employee hiring.
            Last edited by Austinnightwolf; 07-03-2006, 12:06 AM.

Comment

i was at disneyland today and someone asked cm where another pin shop was cm had no clue I told the guest where to go she said maybe u should work here..lol

Comment

It would be nice to have all the CMs as knowledgeable as we are, but, let's think about it--is that possible? I love writing fiction. But can I expect everyone who I consider a friend to love it as much as I do? Not really.

We have to remember, that in the end, CMs are plain old humans. They have wants and needs the go beyond the berm and as such, sometimes their priorities escape us. That's okay. It gives me a reason to sit and talk to them and learn their side of the story.

The only question, in my opinion, is that they must know the answer to is, "where is the closest bathroom?"

Good discussion!

Peace,
                Roo
                husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Comment

Well, most of them are kids trying to make money. It would certainly be preferable for them to have a vast Disney knowledge but what matters most to me is that they provide cheerful, quality service.

Comment

Originally posted by BFJen
                    Just a quick mention about #1 - I've never had a problem with Fast Passes, but a CM at Roger Rabbit, did give me a "lecture" that I was supposed to return during the hours on the ticket. She reluctantly let us pass though.

Also, some of us are just more addicted to Disney than others and enjoy the research.
                    This happened to us also at Space Mountain. We were two hours late using our fast pass and the CM told us that this one time she would let us in, but from now on, we should come back before the return time expires. We had read on Mice Chat that you could come back late, so we were a little surprised.

Also, as far as CMs knowing a lot about the parks, I don't think a day-long training session is going to give them the same knowledge that somebody who has been a fan of the parks for many years would have.

Comment

The average AP has to worry about long lines and findig food and a place to see the parade.

The average CM has to worry about crowd controll, tickets, managers, dispatch, varying customer questions, and a million other things.
                      ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Comment

Originally posted by Roo719
                        The only question, in my opinion, is that they must know the answer to is, "where is the closest bathroom?"
                        Heh. Last time I went I asked a Fantasyland CM that, and they didn't know. The guest standing next to me answered me instead. (Thank you, mystery guest.)

Comment

I think the answer to your post title is "in many cases, yes". I don't see this as "sad", however. Castmembers work for Disneyland for many reasons, and my sister, who was a castmember, didn't know that much about Disney or the park ... she just wanted what she thought was a cool job while she was looking for temporary employment before she became a teacher.

In most cases, however, the system works. As long as Castmembers know the answers to what they are asked by most guests, or can just say "I don't know", and direct guests elsewhere, they can do their job.

There's no need to make a castmember's job even harder by playing the "I know more than you" game with them.

Comment

If the average turnover rate (in Disneyland) wasn't two weeks, then maybe they would know more about the park.

As for WDW, you have to understand, that's several parks and is overall a huge place...and people have only so much money to visit the different resorts.

As for FastPass, I'm sure they're technically supposed to not let you come in after your time, but after being an experienced CM they realize that they're just going to have to cut people some slack...or they just don't feel like dealing with it.

Comment

There have been many times when I've been decked out in my Mickey Mouse Club T and my Mouse ears that guests come to ask me direction because they have looked at me and they assume I know where to go. In that case they were right. Those people didn't go out of their way to find a CM they found a guest that looked like she knew what she was doing! (I always love being asked questions)
                              Kungaloosh!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X