This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Pressler Overated?

Was all the bad stuff Pressler allegedly did running the park overated? Maybe he didn't know how to run it and was just uninformed?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
    Was all the bad stuff Pressler allegedly did running the park overated? Maybe he didn't know how to run it and was just uninformed?
    This would somehow excuse him?

Comment

Drawing and quartering's too good for him.
      My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Orville
        You, know I have been thinking about this... I really do think he was a fall guy to Eisner's Manifesto of "singles and doubles"... Which is a battle cry of every manager who wanted a promotion in the Disney Corporation...

All he had to do was run the ship... I don't think he was making the decisions, but he had to cover the mistakes of everyone else who held the Standard of the Eisner Manifesto... ("Singles and Doubles") The Disney Corporation needed restructuring from the top down... But it looks like that isn't going to happen with Iger as CEO... Because from the looks of it empowering the current management will not solve all the problems... As many where promoted because they held the Eisner Manifesto Standard...

If you look at other units, like Disney Studios, you will see the Eisner Manifesto in tact...

The Tomorrowland Renovation was doomed from the planning stage... from what I have read in the press and from postings by members on other boards WDI couldn't get anything past Stratigic Planning... And what was passed had to be under budget... Eisner ultimately made the decision... (The man couldn't trust a designer to pick out curtains for the hotels for crying out loud...)

It shows in the book on Imagineering they sell in the park... When I first read a page that implied it was more rewarding to design under budget... I darn near gaged on my Mickey Shaped Pretzle... Talk about a load of Dingo's Kidneys...

It may be more rewarding, but only because it was the only way to see one's vision implemented... I would prefer a more proactive approach... "How can we make this work with the budget we have..." If it takes longer to get the job done right, do it... This is Disneyland... Not a state fair carnival...

Right now, I feel bad for Matt and those new logs on Splash... It is a managment nightmare... And to be honest, it is an WDI problem...
        Check out my other blog:

Comment

It seems sort of odd. Pressler is blamed for Disneyland's downfall and Oimet is credited with restoring Disneyland. Yet Pressler was head of Resorts and Oimet is head of only Disneyland. So either Rassulo is not being given enough credit or Harris had more to do with the decline at Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
            It seems sort of odd. Pressler is blamed for Disneyland's downfall and Oimet is credited with restoring Disneyland. Yet Pressler was head of Resorts and Oimet is head of only Disneyland. So either Rassulo is not being given enough credit or Harris had more to do with the decline at Disneyland.
            I think the general belief is that Pressler was more controlling than Rasulo and made more of the decissions, while Rasulo give more of the decission making power to Oiment than Pressler gave to Harris.

Comment

Pressler AND Harriss were horrible for the DLR (Pressler also had a bad impact on WDW, where maintenance also fell) while Rasulo and Ouimet are both great for the DLR.

Shouldn't the topic of this thread be "Paul Pressler UNDERrated?" Overrated would mean, to me, we thought he was better than he really was...
              -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
              I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Rasulo is a badguy too. He has openly said that "rides and attractions can be built with smaller budgets" and hes from strategic planning too. The only good thing is he has the decency to let the park presidents like Ouimet call the shots.

Comment

"overated" as in his influence was overated.

Comment

I don't think having the Roy Disney view that attractions can be built w/ some cost-cutting is a bad thing. Let the park presidents play the Walt role and let Rasulo keep their ideas reasonable. Cost-cutting has been a part of Disney Parks and Resorts since 1955.
                    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
                    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
                      I don't think having the Roy Disney view that attractions can be built w/ some cost-cutting is a bad thing. Let the park presidents play the Walt role and let Rasulo keep their ideas reasonable. Cost-cutting has been a part of Disney Parks and Resorts since 1955.
                      Bingo. There's cheap, and there's frugal. Walt was no dummy, he had his brother there for a reason. I think the current team has shown definite signs of finding the right balance between the visionary and the budget minded. They aren't quite there yet, but things have been moving in the right direction.

Comment

Pressler's damage was overrated. Anyone who disagrees should be forced to walk through 1970s Disneyland while the company was on the verge of splitting up.

Originally posted by Bacon
                        Bingo. There's cheap, and there's frugal. Walt was no dummy, he had his brother there for a reason.
                        Also, I think the legend of Walt being a stickler for details with dreams bigger than his budget is a little larger than life. I remember one rumor that had to deal with Walt delaying an opening because the lights weren't all working. I think in reality, Walt would just as quickly grab a ladder, install the lightbulb himself, and throw the doors open.

Yes, people, it is about creating an alternate universe, but making money still factored into the equation. This is the guy who crimped on water fountains so people would buy Pepsi.
                        Last edited by MickeyMania; 04-18-2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I seem to remember the 1970's Disneyland as being rather ideal. It was their movie division that really stunk at the time.

Comment

Sure, I have also always assumed that it was a combination of lack of knowlege of Pressler's part and of Eisner's out-of-touch-with-modernity singles and doubles idea. So who knows if Pressler was really the :devil: .
                            BTW, Cousin Orville- it seems to me that Citzen Vain is a better fit for your avitar than Citzen Vein, but maybe there's a pun I'm missing?
                            Last edited by LeeLi; 04-18-2005, 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by mickhyperion
                              I seem to remember the 1970's Disneyland as being rather ideal. It was their movie division that really stunk at the time.
                              I guess you and I didn't go at the same time. The park I know when the company was bordering on broken up and sold off was a vastly different one than Pressler. I'd say a healthy percentage of light bulbs on Main Street would NEVER work. Rides would often be closed or going on the fritz.

Comment

Disney can still build compelling and unique attractions/parks and be on budget. But wild over spending that brought us things like EPCOT can't and shouldn't be seen again at Disney - and that's ok.
                                WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

Comment

Originally posted by mickhyperion
                                  That does seem to be the pop consensus of my generation... And there are some evidence that points to the movie division reaking...

But I think it was mostly from the climate of films being produced outside of Disney that where particularly anti-child...

This is a bit off topic because I am going to talk about film here for a moment....

The disney movies in the 70's where pretty much singles and doubles too... But I don't think it was a bad as the Early 80's...

Katsenberg saved the studio... His connection with Geffin and Spielberg kicked the studio into high gear...

The following is a comprehensive list of movies from the 70's:
                                  Originally posted by WaltDisneyResource.net
                                  1970 King of the Grizzlies (G)
                                  1970 The Boatniks (G)
                                  1970 The Aristocats (G)
                                  1971 The Wild Country (G)
                                  1971 The Barefoot Executive (G)
                                  1971 Scandalous John (G)
                                  1971 The $1,000,000 Duck (G)
                                  1971 Bedknobs and Broomsticks (G)
                                  1971 The Biscuit Eater (G)
                                  1972 Napoleon and Samantha (G)
                                  1972 Now You See Him, Now You Don't (G)
                                  1972 Run, Cougar Run (G)
                                  1972 Snowball Express (G)
                                  1973 The World's Greatest Athlete (G)
                                  1973 Charley and the Angel (G)
                                  1973 One Little Indian (G)
                                  1973 Robin Hood (G)
                                  1973 Superdad (G)
                                  1974 Herbie Rides Again (G)
                                  1974 The Bears and I (G)
                                  1974 The Castaway Cowboy (G)
                                  1974 The Island at the Top of the World (G)
                                  1975 The Stongest Man in the World (G)
                                  1975 Escape to Witch Mountain (G)
                                  1975 The Apple Dumpling Gang (G)
                                  1975 One of Our Dinosours is Missing (G)
                                  1975 The Best of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures (G)
                                  1976 Ride a Wild Pony (G)
                                  1976 No Deposit, No Return (G)
                                  1976 Gus (G)
                                  1976 Treasure of Matecumbe (G)
                                  1976 The Shaggy D.A. (G)
                                  1977 Freaky Friday (G)
                                  1977 The Littlest Horse Theives (G)
                                  1977 The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (G)
                                  1977 The Rescuers (G)
                                  1977 Herbe Goes to Monte Carlo (G)
                                  1977 Pete's Dragon (G)
                                  1978 Candleshoe (G)
                                  1978 Return from Witch Mountain (G)
                                  1978 The Cat from Outer Space (G)
                                  1978 Hot Lead and Cold Feet (G)
                                  1979 The North Avenue Irregulars (G)
                                  1979 The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again (G)
                                  1979 Unidentified Flying Oddball (G)
                                  1979 The Black Hole (PG)
                                  It got even worse durring the early 80's...

1980 Midnight Madness (PG)
                                  1980 The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (G)
                                  1980 Herbie Goes Bananas (G)
                                  1981 The Devil and Max Devlin (PG)
                                  1981 Amy (G)
                                  1981 The Fox and the Hound (G)
                                  1981 Condorman (PG)
                                  1981 The Watcher in the Woods (PG)
                                  1982 Night Crossing (PG)
                                  1982 Tron (PG)
                                  1982 Tex (PG)
                                  1983 Trenchcoat (PG)
                                  1983 Something Wicked This Way Comes (PG)
                                  1983 Never Cry Wolf (PG)
                                  1984 Splash (Touchstone) (PG)
                                  1984 Tiger Town (G)
                                  1984 Country (Touchstone) (PG)
                                  1985 Baby...Secret of the Lost Legend (Touchstone) (PG)
                                  1985 Return to Oz (PG)
                                  1985 The Black Cauldron (PG)
                                  1985 My Science Project (Touchstone) (PG)
                                  1985 The Journey of Natty Gann (PG)
                                  1985 One Magic Christmas (G)
                                  In 1986, Katsenburg kicked the studio into high gear using his connections with Geffin and Spielberg (Sounds familiar... SKG? Dreamworks?)

The studeo hasn't been the same since he left...

My argument is that under Cook, the Studeo will fumble into a series of singles and doubles that will look like the 70's. (Hell, they even brought back Herbie a 70's movie stable. Can we say "Nightmare on Dopey Drive?") Cook needs to depart from the studeo! Soon or it will be a desaster... And they need someone with better film connections... Just my opinion... However do you promote Cook to COO to do it? That is like Al's call to promote Paul Pressler to save DL...
                                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

Sorry to continue this off-topic discussion...

That 1970's movie list is definitely more impressive than I remember. But not too many blockbusters in there, just a lot of fan favorites and minor classics.

Back on-topic...

I think Pressler's role as Eisner's hatchet man can't really be exaggerated enough. There is scarcely anything he touched that can be viewed in a positive light today. Some of the few exceptions would be the Holiday versions of DL's attractions, but having come from retail, it's no wonder he knew how to promote Christmas.

Comment

Pressler and Eisner share the blame for what happened to Disneyland from 1995-2002, but I do think the outrage agianst Pressler is 100% fair. The parks were successful under Dick Nunis and Judson Green, but Pressler wanted to be a star on Wall Street...he wanted to be CEO of Disney. He was the first division head since Katzenburg to address Wall Street analysts without Eisner. The contemporary thinking on Wall Street was that theme parks were not a growth industy and Pressler bowed to it. A braver leader (like Warren Buffet) would have pushed for long term investments, but Pressler wanted to be Wall Street's buddy so he cut costs like no one else in the history of the company. Every other division head in TWDC reported to Eisner as well, but none cut costs as agressively as Pressler (although Rasulo at DL Paris came in a close second). Pressler had no love for Disneyland, it was just a stepping stone to the CEO job, and when he found out he would not get it at Disney, he left in less than 48 hours. He is the most selfish person in the history of TWDC, and that is really saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMania
                                        Pressler's damage was overrated. Anyone who disagrees should be forced to walk through 1970s Disneyland while the company was on the verge of splitting up.

Also, I think the legend of Walt being a stickler for details with dreams bigger than his budget is a little larger than life. I remember one rumor that had to deal with Walt delaying an opening because the lights weren't all working. I think in reality, Walt would just as quickly grab a ladder, install the lightbulb himself, and throw the doors open.

Yes, people, it is about creating an alternate universe, but making money still factored into the equation. This is the guy who crimped on water fountains so people would buy Pepsi.
                                        disneyland was great in the 70's. I loved going then especially when they started the all day pass.

for the record he was bad for disneyland but he was great for the Angels.
                                        How much longer will it take
                                        For the world to see.
                                        We should learn to live
                                        And simply let it be.
                                        Bloodstone, bloodstone.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X