This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DL Fantasmic VS. WDW Fantasmic

I just downloaded fantasmic because I have been listening to the soundtrack all day long and i wanted to see it, so a botleg poorly recorded videotape is better then nothing at all. So anyways, as I was watching it, somthing hit me and I realized that somthing didn't look fimiliar....in fact ALOT didn't look familer OR SOUND FAMILIAR! It was a copy of WDW's Fantasmic. Well, I must say that once again....You just can't copy or beat the original show here in the original Disneyland.
    So here is my question...Why did they change the show and change the layout of the island. It's all performed on an Island with a big rock/small mountain instead of on ships and boats and stuff. And I don't know if it has to do with air controll or what, but our show has MUCH MUCH more pyrotechnics and live actors. 50% of WDW's show was water screens.
    Once again, can someone please explain this weird experiance that i've just felt?

Although....I must admit. Just seeing the show still took away my breath several times just like fantasmic is made to do. It gives me a tingleing breathless feeling that just grabs your inner child and wont let go.

Derek =]
    Beautify Yourself

In WDW, Fantasmic is not performed in the Magic Kingdom on the Rivers of America....

It is in MGM Studios in a big dedicated ampatheater. They can't use real boats because the "lake" is really a fairly shallow pool. They do use rafts....

Besides, MK doesn't even have a Columbia type ship to turn into Hook's Pirate Ship.... just the Twain style paddle boat. That doesn't even dock in Frontierland. It docks in Liberty Square and is called the Liberty Belle Riverboat.

Comment

DL Fantasmic! is the best the one at MGM is intresting to say the least. But if you have seen ours theres becomes a joke...atleast to me it is.

J :monkey:
      Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

Comment

Question where did you download this version?? cus visionsfantastic.com has the disneyland one at least i think its the disneyland one
        ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFanaticBoy
          Question where did you download this version?? cus visionsfantastic.com has the disneyland one at least i think its the disneyland one
          I downloaded it off of xfactor. I could probubly e-mail it to you.
          Beautify Yourself

Comment

My wife and I visited WDW in Sept 04 and saw Fantasmic and even during the show itself we knew that we liked the DLR version much more. I think the fact the boats are missing (except for the rafts and the Steamboat Willy part at the end) are the biggest thing that contributes to the difference. I mean, there is just something cool about Hooks ship coming in from the darkness!

A second large difference for us was that it seems WDW has more elements taken from the more recent films. Its been a few months but I recall seeing Pocahontas featured quite prominently in the storyline of the show and several charcters from The Lion King shown on the waterscreens at WDW.

Of course, I asked my wife to marry me during a showing of Fantasmic from a balcony of Club 33, so the added magic of the DLR version probably disqualifies me from making a fair judgement of the WDW version.

Comment

Fantasmic at DL is better for the reasons mentioned, Columbia, Twain, river setting. But by no means is the MGM version a bad show. I personally like the amphitheater and mountain in the lagoon better. Sitting on the ground or standing for hours is not much fun. The mountain is a bit better because they have more room for the show than TSI. The seating is nice since they pack the seats hours ahead of the show as well.

Comment

The thing I love about DLR is it's like you sorta just stumbled into the adventure, where as MGM's is a big stuffy, less intimate version.. Half of the stuff at MGMS is water screened..... Like I enjoy MGM'S, but I feel DLR is better for the reason of intimacy, and just stumbling into the adventure!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                ~

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyFanaticBoy
                  I agree RU42 did a great job with the multishot. If they were any higher in quality I wouldn't even consider bringing my camcorder. It's a must if you want a Fantasmic vid.
                  -Goober

Comment

Disneyland's is the best!

I have seen both, but everyone is right in saying that the DL version is better for many reasons.

WDW does feel more contained. It feels more contrived, more staged. DL's is simply more spectacular. I know that some complain about the traffic flow being restricted around the Rivers of America for the performance, but that is part of the appeal for me. The river and island get transformed into the wonderful, amazing stage that you would not even guess was there during the day! That is magic to me. The WDW is OK, and is not something you want to miss if you have traveled all the way to Florida, but DL's Fantasmic is something very special!

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                      In WDW, Fantasmic is not performed in the Magic Kingdom on the Rivers of America....

It is in MGM Studios in a big dedicated ampatheater. They can't use real boats because the "lake" is really a fairly shallow pool. They do use rafts....

Besides, MK doesn't even have a Columbia type ship to turn into Hook's Pirate Ship.... just the Twain style paddle boat. That doesn't even dock in Frontierland. It docks in Liberty Square and is called the Liberty Belle Riverboat.
                      No Hook's ship? That's my favorite scene in Fantasmic! I haven't been to WDW in about 10 years...I didn't realize it was that different! I love the DL fantasmic though, I must have seen it more than 100 times and I NEVER get tired of it. It's crazy!
                      Oh, and you can't compare watching it on video to actually seeing it live!
                      "Just remember the month of May followed by a nerd."

Comment

JiminyCricketFan nailed a huge part of it on the head. DL's version is placed in a location where you have walked past several times durring the day... You might have even walked on the island durring the day! Then suddenly at night the entire area is completely transoformed. It's much more of a surprize... The giant sound and light towers that come out of the ground are AWSOME! Everything you'd seen durring the day (including the boats, such as the mark twain) are transformed into a nighttime spectacular! WDW's is to planned out... and built specifically for it. But that's okay over in WDW because it fits in with the theme of MGM studios. DL's just has more magic to it.

Comment

As I said, it's sort of like you stumbled into this great adventure!

~

Comment

Originally posted by Evan-500
                            As I said, it's sort of like you stumbled into this great adventure!
                            yea, exactly! But at WDW you show up 2 hours early to get a good seat to enjoy the show. Just not as magical

Comment

Indeed... and I like the whole either sit on the ground or stand feel of Dl's, cause it makes it like, I'm walking by, and all of a sudden MICKEYS FIGHTING A DRAGON! let's sit and watch... It's so much more intimit... and it's amazing, one minute your going over ROA on a raft, next your seeing it on fire, and monkeys dancing, and a giant pinocchia, witches changed, maleficent rising, dragon fire breathing! All on the same stage you walked on just that same day, where as MGM's, you dont get to go on the stage, and stomp on the trapdoors, hoping you'l fall through so you can visit the underground dragon *bwahhahahahahaha*

~

Comment

Originally posted by Disneylandrocks55
                                JiminyCricketFan nailed a huge part of it on the head. DL's version is placed in a location where you have walked past several times during the day... You might have even walked on the island durring the day! Then suddenly at night the entire area is completely transformed. It's much more of a surprise... The giant sound and light towers that come out of the ground are AWESOME! Everything you'd seen durrng the day (including the boats, such as the Mark Twain) are transformed into a nighttime spectacular! WDW's is to planned out... and built specifically for it. But that's okay over in WDW because it fits in with the theme of MGM studios. DL's just has more magic to it.
                                I couldn't agree with both of you more! I make it a point to take first time visitors to TSI and on the Mark Twain before seeing Fantasmic! It makes it all that more magical to me.

What's so cool about DLs Fantasmic! is that as soon as the show ends, there are no indicators that that amazing show just happened right in front of me! Some imaginination, huh?

As an aside the initial Press Release for Fantasmic in 1992 (yikes! 13 years ago on April 7!) stated that Disneyland expected the show to attract crowds of 6,430 people per night. Due to the popularity of the show, (12,000+ people per night!) New Orleans Square was later revamped, and the viewing area was terraced to give better views. Can anyone verify this information?

Comment

I agree

~

Comment

I am partial to the DL version as well for all the reasons mentioned....

-HOWEVER-

I wouldn't discount the WDW version at all, either. It is still a fantastic show that gave me chills each of the two times I saw it. While the Peter Pan segment is cut (Pocohantas replaces it), and the characters appear on a smaller-scale Steamboat Willie-type boat instead of the Mark Twain, it is still an exceptionally scaled, thrill-inducing show that contains big elements, great water-screen images, and cool special effects and fireworks. While the large-scale amphitheatre setting may not be as "intimate" or familiar, it is enjoyable in many ways to have unobstructed seating (and I emphasize "seat"-ing... it's great to be able to sit during this show). Yes, you need to get there an hour or so ahead of time, but you can sit, visit, rest, let the kids unwind, and they provide entertainment while you wait. No pushy, last-minute people that are trying to stand in front of the space that you spent the evening trying to reserve, kids on adults shoulders, etc. etc. etc.

Despite the greatness of the Fantasmic! show at DL (and it is amazing, don't get me wrong), it still feels like so much "work" and stress in order to make it a positive experience for you and the kids. Trying to get your kids to actually see the show can be tough sometimes. Since we live in Utah, we don't get to DL more than once a year or so... and the crowds are typically heavy. If I lived closer, was an AP holder, and went to DL more often in the off-season, I'm sure I would see the show more often at less-crowded times, and with varied viewing locations and experiences, and my opinion would be different.

So... while DL's Fantasmic is better, I still wouldn't completely discount WDW's version. It is still not to be missed if you're visiting WDW. The magic is still there!
                                    Last edited by a-mad; 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM.

Comment

DL's better... thought could use a slightly update...

WDW could use an overhaul and remove a segment with something new...

Comment

I wouldn't discount the WDW version at all, either. It is still a fantastic show that gave me chills each of the two times I saw it. While the Peter Pan segment is cut (Pocohantas replaces it), and the characters appear on a smaller-scale Steamboat Willie-type boat instead of the Mark Twain, it is still an exceptionally scaled, thrill-inducing show that contains big elements, great water-screen images, and cool special effects and fireworks. While the large-scale amphitheatre setting may not be as "intimate" or familiar, it is enjoyable in many ways to have unobstructed seating (and I emphasize "seat"-ing... it's great to be able to sit during this show). Yes, you need to get there an hour or so ahead of time, but you can sit, visit, rest, let the kids unwind, and they provide entertainment while you wait. No pushy, last-minute people that are trying to stand in front of the space that you spent the evening trying to reserve, kids on adults shoulders, etc. etc. etc.

Despite the greatness of the Fantasmic! show at DL (and it is amazing, don't get me wrong), it still feels like so much "work" and stress in order to make it a positive experience for you and the kids. Trying to get your kids to actually see the show can be tough sometimes. Since we live in Utah, we don't get to DL more than once a year or so... and the crowds are typically heavy. If I lived closer, was an AP holder, and went to DL more often in the off-season, I'm sure I would see the show more often at less-crowded times, and with varied viewing locations and experiences, and my opinion would be different.
                                        We aren't discounting MGMS fantastmic at all. We've said it's a good show as well, but disneylands is just so much more... And I dont see how having seats makes it any easier to maintain your child.... If they want to make a fuss, and run around, the seats wont stop them...

~

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X