This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autopia+Cars?

I know that a million other people have thought of this and theres many reasons why it wouldn't work, but why is there no relationship between the Autopia ride and the movie "Cars". As soon as I saw the movie the first thing I thought was "Why didn't they just call the movie 'Autopia' and then do some changes to the Autopia ride to make it match the movie, like 'Pirates'?"
    I'm sure a lot of it must have to do with the Chevron sponorships, but I'd love to hear some good discussion about why it would or wouldn't work.

Re: Autopia+Cars?

Why? Because there was talk in Walt Disney Imagineering about making a Cars ride in Disney's California Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by FantasmicPrincess
      Why didn't they just call the movie 'Autopia' and then do some changes to the Autopia ride to make it match the movie, like 'Pirates'?"
      Because Cars was in the can when Disney bought Pixar. Disney didn't have the creative control to make Pixar make an Autopia movie. If the movie was being made now, it might be more likely. But I don't think Autopia's got much in the way of theme that would make for a very good movie. As for adding elements of a movie back into the attraction, you have to keep in mind that too much in the way of distracting AAs or other elements are going to make people stop and look, which is not what you want on Autopia!
      sigpic

Comment

The most you could really do to make Autopia more Cars-like would be make the actual cars look like the characters. You can't, like Dark Rider said, put a bunch of AAs and other distracting things because it'd cause problems.

A Cars ride in DCA makes sense, it fits the California theme with the state's love and obsession over cars, the movie centers around California a lot. Plus DCA already has a bunch of Pixar stuff, what could another hurt?

Comment

Wht i think would be bettwe for Autopia is to bring some elements from Hong Kong over.. like their cars.. and such... but then again that would take what? 4 more years till the gas sponsorship is over?

Comment

Ok. This goes back to contracts and relationships.

First, DL's Autopia has the sponsorship deal w/ Chevron which makes
            their own animorphic car characters (eyes in the headlights). Autopia
            is NOT themed to those cars directly although they appear in the pre-show
            and in the displays.

John Lasseter attributes the Cars characters inspiration to Susie the Little
            Blue Coup (eyes in the windshield).

The Chevron deal occurred in TL 98. The Cars movie wasn't even thought
            of till 2003 and probably wasn't a glimmer in John's thoughts till 1998 (after
            Bugs Life). And that was when Pixar was still Pixar, not Disney. There was
            no way that Disney was going to break their relationship w/ Chevron
            over a movie that they didn't own 100%. Even now I doubt that, they'll
            do it IMHO.

But rumors do have a Cars inspired ride coming into WDS in Paris. (I heard
            '07, but IMHO probably more realistically '08)

On the theming bit, the current Autopia cars really don't belong in TL; they
            don't look futuristic or space-y at all. Even a Cars themed ones will not belong
            in TL. They do belong more in DCA w/ its possible cars-california tie-in
            or at least the movies-california tie in. (yeah, I know Pixar is in Emeryville
            not in LA).

From a *theming point of view* the best autopia cars IMHO are the ones in HKDL.

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986
              Wht i think would be bettwe for Autopia is to bring some elements from Hong Kong over.. like their cars.. and such... but then again that would take what? 4 more years till the gas sponsorship is over?
              Yes that's a good idea. Hong Kong has a very cool Autopia. And they have those retro-styled electric cars, which would make some Californians happier.

Even though it would just be a copy, maybe with a few adjustments, to fit the big construction mess in the area. Make it look futuristic, not the off-road junk and Chevron stuff. Spruce it up, make it have a point where three periods of time come together (Past: Train, Present: Autopia, and Future: Monorail), not just have the mess of old trees, and abandoned Peoplemover tracks and stuff.

Comment

All good points. As for the AA's, I wasn't thinking of that, more of actually making the ride vehicles into characters from the movie.

Comment

i think they didnt do it because the title would be the only real connection to the ride...unless they made the movie about a car coming to life and driving out of disneyland...it doesnt really connect to the ride...and also the sponsor...sponsors r VERY important...i dont know why for a limited time they didnt add lil eyes to the cars at autopia lol...

Comment

Because there are already too many Tomorrowland attractions based on Pixar features. It stopped being funny already. Get something real for Tomorrowland.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

well i agree completely...i hate pixar...i was trying to think how they r

Comment

All hail Pixarland
                        There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                        -Dr. Strange

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X