This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland Museum

Would you visit a museum dedicated to Disneyland's past?

With each decade that passes Walt's original Magic Kingdom becomes more and more of a cultural icon and, some would even argue, a national treasure. As the 50th approaches, discussions rage over what should stay and what should go to make way for something new. One look around these boards and any imagineer worth his ears would know that anytime you try to change or "improve" an aspect of the park that some folks consider classic or timeless you're going to be in for a whole lot of trouble. But of course the park must continue to change and improve or else become stagnant. So, what to do?

Perhaps the answer might lie in a Disneyland Museum. A place for old attractions to go when they are retired. Rather than selling off all of that history on ebay, perhaps the Disney company should set aside a special place for it where those of us who loved those old rides could visit and reminisce.

Such a place would have to be fairly big, kind of like a "Smithsonian of Disney" but just think of the merchandising opportunities!

Would you pay to get in? I would. In fact I would rather see that in the old parking lot than DCA.

Your thoughts?
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

I love that idea....!!! Like the Disney Gallery on a much larger scale!!! The idea of just getting to relive some of those old feelings is extremely valuable to many people and is possibly quite viable in the financial depertment.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Comment

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't already done it! Locate it near the park but across the street. Charge a separate admission. Not quite a "third gate" but another revenue stream. Why throw stuff away when people will pay good money to see it. Sadly, I'm afraid, a lot of the old stuff is gone or destroyed. Replicas could be made, however. I'd love to sit in a Flying Saucer one more time... even it was just a static display. Or hear "Blood On The Saddle" again... or ride the "New People Mover" that would transport you from Downtown Disney to the museum. :bow:
      "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
      -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

I was thinking about the Mark Twain. Even though referb'd, she aint as young as she used to be. Where will she go when they eventually have to build a replacement? Or the old steam engines from the DLRR? They won't last forever either. Disney has a clear choice here. They can auction off their history or they can choose to preserve it in a place where it may be enjoyed for generations to come.

Comment

After we have a meal at Goofy's Kitchen we walk over to the wall display next to the Grand Ballroom. You could spend hours there looking at each item. The kids make a game out of finding Walt's namebadge first. There are cool old photo's around the corner next to the restrooms as well.

I guess that you could kind of call that the start of a museum???

Comment

I would love to visit a disneyland museum

Orlando doing good
            http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a0_1212091354&p=1

www.Myspace.com/butterflytat20
            Princess of Randomness

Comment

It Is A Good Idea!

I certainly would go. I miss much that has gone by. But I do want to raise a concern. I remember a long time ago going to a section of Main Street which featured what was planned for the future of Disneyland. Believe it or not, there was a time in which there were rides on the drawing board and were featured and displayed before they were built. The anticipation was great as a kid. I know that this is dating me, but I remember as a small child seeing pictures of Space Mountains on maps and in displays and wondering, "When are they going to get that built? I want to ride it!!"

I am only concerned that now we are thinking about looking back at the past, looking longingly to what has gone by. When I was young we looked eagerly to the future, about what would come next. I find it an interesting shift. :confused:
              Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                I am only concerned that now we are thinking about looking back at the past, looking longingly to what has gone by. When I was young we looked eagerly to the future, about what would come next. I find it an interesting shift. :confused:
                Perhaps an indication that the past really wasn't all that bad and the future isn't all it was cracked up to be :confused:

Comment

Disneyland Press Release

MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan
                    I certainly would go. I miss much that has gone by. But I do want to raise a concern. I remember a long time ago going to a section of Main Street which featured what was planned for the future of Disneyland. Believe it or not, there was a time in which there were rides on the drawing board and were featured and displayed before they were built. The anticipation was great as a kid. I know that this is dating me, but I remember as a small child seeing pictures of Space Mountains on maps and in displays and wondering, "When are they going to get that built? I want to ride it!!"

I remember that place on Main Street too. Wasn't it right next to the Opera House? Anyway, I think looking back is a function of getting older. All of us baby boomers who grew up around DL get a little nostalgic when we look back at what we used to know and love. The park itself is also a "baby boom baby" and the older it gets the more memories it creates. It must look to the future in order to continue, but it must also honor those memories.

Comment

Now, how can we make this a permanent addition somewhere? There's always that big useless plot of land on the other side of the Main Entry Plaza.

Comment

yes
                        How much longer will it take
                        For the world to see.
                        We should learn to live
                        And simply let it be.
                        Bloodstone, bloodstone.

Comment

[QUOTE=Dustysage][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]

Very cool. But I agree that they should find a way to expand it and make it permanent.
                          :bow:

Comment

Thanks Dusty!

Originally posted by Dustysage

Thanks Dusty, I knew that an exhibit was going into the Opera House, but I had no idea how comprehensive it was going to be. Kudos for the scoop
                            Charlie :wave:
                            MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by Dustysage

Thanks, Dusty. I'm really looking forward to it.
                              "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                              -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X