Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Is Disneyland too expensive?

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many of the items that you buy from Disneyland are expensive. Some are just downright over priced. An avergae ticket is just about right. Disneyland is an extremely expensive operation to run, and to keep up with this, they need the high prices for tickets. Tickets in general for anything now a days is expensive.

Comment

As per the previous post on prices:

The 1996 One Day Adult Passport $34.50 per person.
      The 1997 One Day Adult Passport $36.00 per person
      The 1998 One Day Adult Passport $38.00 per person
      The 1999 One Day Adult Passport $39.50 per person.
      The 2000 One Day Adult Passport $41.00 per person.
      The 2001 One-Day Adult Passport $43.00 per person.
      The 2002 One Day Adult Passport $45.00 per person.
      The 2003 One Day Adult Passport $47.00 per person.
      The 2004 One Day Adult Passport $49.75 per person.
      The 2005 One Day Adult Passport $53.00 per person.

When one considers the amount of attractions and shows shut down with no replacements, no paint, no maintenence, jobs and hours slashed, but big outlandish bonuses still paid to executives, then yes the parks are overpriced. It has only been the recent actions of the new park execs have I been able to say that the park is getting close to meeting its daily admission price.

Comment

I think in terms of value, and the experience you get out of it rather than price.
        So the average family can't afford it? Well, they don't come any more average than us.
        We had five kids, and we planned well. A year ahead. We would buy our multi-day tickets months in advance. Sometimes a couple one month, a couple the next. We would have our Disneyland piggy banks filled with the loose change and bills from all year. We always have several hundred dollars, and that helps gas and hotel.
        We sacrifice stuff in the few months before we go, and start buying Disney dollars.
        We love the place, and a place like Disneyland isn't going to come cheap.
        It's about how bad that average family wants to experience Disneyland.
        We do. it is worth every penny.
        Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

I never thought I would see the day that Disney would be offering "FINANCING" for a vacation at DLR AND WDW. It sounds criminal that the average family would have to go this far to enjoy the fun.
          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

I feel the food is way overpriced but the admission is not overpriced. The reason for that is because the parks are always so crowded. I mean it obviously is worth it if the park is crowded.

Comment

I just don't understand why it is criminal.
              It costs almost 50.00 to get into any amusement park today.
              None are even remotely kept as nice as Disneyland.
              I live in close proximity to a six flags, and Paramounts Great America.
              I can barely stand to walk through them.
              You have to get creative when you are on a budget. It's not that big of deal really.
              Get multi-day passes when they run the family specials. Disneyland for only one day, unless you live there, is not worth it. Go for at least three.
              Plan ahead and make it happen for yourself.
              Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

here are a few words.. go to WDW on the east coast.. then see how much expensive it is... (One day pass... $60 (I i think))

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyMickey
                  Tickets in general for anything now a days is expensive.
                  I think that's really the root of the problem. Business is trying to squeeze every last drop out of the consumer, and as a consumer, I feel like I have no one to pass my "operating expenses" on to. I'm not saying that businesses shouldn't try to make as much money as possible, but if I'm going to pay the premium prices they're asking, I should deserve a premium product. And Disneyland is no longer offering a premium product (attraction closures, empty spaces, general disrepair, consumer safety issues). It's getting better, but like I said before, that will give the execs an excuse to raise ticket prices even more.

"Well, if they'll pay $53 for a crappy park, how much do you think we can convince them to pay after we get done painting everything?"
                  "George Bush... is only for now."
                  Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind! :cwink:

Comment

just for comprison
                    one day addmision for an adult at
                    Marine World is $47.99
                    Magic Mountain is $47.99
                    Universal Studios Hollywood is $43.00
                    Great America is $49.99
                    Disneyland is $53.00 (one day Disneyland only for comparison sake)

Concidering the differences in locations and attractions I think Disneyland is reasonably priced.

I would venture a guess that if you looked at all the parks I listed and their ticket prices over the last 10 years I bet you would find similar increases in admission price.

Just my 2 cents
                    procrastibating

Comment

Originally posted by millionairegirl
                      Disneyland was a once a year thing for my family. We only ate one meal in the park, and I don't remember getting even balloons. I don't think this is a bad thing, it made it more special. It's a 'special' treat for most families, and I still think the price-point is fair for what you get.
                      I think this "more special because it's rare" is a ****-eyed way of looking at it. I bet poor families that only have steak once a month really savor it more, but does that make it the best situation?

When I was a teenager in socal it was just under $20, so we would go every few months. It made me fall in love with DL.

The best comment was made above: The price increase from the $20 days vs the rides that were added/lost between then and now is the crime. Not the price itself.

From my teenage days:

LOST
                      Adventure thru Inner Space
                      Subs
                      America Sings
                      Peoplemover
                      Country Bear Jamboree
                      Mission to Mars
                      Motorboats
                      Pirate ship
                      Skyway

Added
                      Innoventions
                      Indy
                      Startours
                      Splash Mt
                      Pooh

Splash and Indy are great, but when you measure what we've lost and gained, it's a close call. When I was 15, this is not where I guessed DL would be for $53.

BUT, I'm excited about where we're headed...

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob66
                        I don't go skiing, I almost never go to concerts anymore (I prefer recorded concerts, which give me the best seats in the house every time, and for far less), and I don't attend sports events when I can see them for free on TV. Why should I?
                        But millions of families do. If they are willing to pay those prices for that kind of half-day entertainment, then they shouldn't complain about the cost of a full day at Disney. I feel the same when people complain about parking going up. $10 is not outrageous when you compare it to the cost of parking at Knott's, SeaWorld, MM, or even the Rose Bowl.

Oh, and Socal, you're forgeting the Toontown attractions, HISTA, and Buzz on your addition list.
                        Last edited by millionairegirl; 04-24-2005, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I think the drinks and water are the only things that are really over priced at the park.

Comment

I feel that in the end, it all comes down to how much value you receive for your money, and therefore, the answer is entirely subjective.

If you and your family go, and pay whatever it costs, but have a great time, then you can arguably say that it is worth it, whether it's an easy thing to do, or a matter of great sacrifice. On the other hand, for some people, the high cost of parking, food, souveniers, travel, admission, etc, just isn't worth it for what they're paying. Some look at the park and bemoan the loss of old attractions; some don't care. We're all unique, just like everyone else.

And the parks can change. I stopped going to WDW after '92, and at that time, I found I wasn't getting value for my money (where I had before). However, things have improved there to the point where I could consider another trip (even though it's further away now). Currently, I believe we are getting a good "bang for our buck" at DLR; if that ever changes, we'll probably stop going.

Comment

Originally posted by TicTocDragon
                              I never thought I would see the day that Disney would be offering "FINANCING" for a vacation at DLR AND WDW. It sounds criminal that the average family would have to go this far to enjoy the fun.
                              True. Yet is this added as a pure money grab by Disney or has it come about because of a gradual change in consumer spending habits and the taking on of debt rather than save and pay upfront?

I am willing to bet Disney noticed financing for trips to their parks was happening through 3rd parties and decided to get some of the financing dollars. Nothing wrong with picking money up off the street before someone else gets it.
                              Last edited by Gwyren; 04-24-2005, 12:04 PM.

Comment

True. Yet is this added as a pure money grab by Disney or has it come about because of a gradual change in consumer spending habits and the taking on ofdebt rather than save and pay upfront?
                                So true. I mean, why pay for things now when you can pay for them twice over the next ten years?
                                My Blu-rays/DVDs
                                "Every view they hold on you's a piano out of tune
                                You're an angel, you're a demon, you're just.... human." - James, Lullaby

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X