Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Is Disneyland too expensive?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree the admission price is too expensive but I'm not so sure about the food. The Hungry Bear for example you can get frys, cheese burger and a drink for around six bucks. Thats maybe about a dollar or two higher then say Wendys or Jack in-the-box. I'm not saying every food item is cheap in Disneyland but there are some lower cost options.

Comment

><> just call me n8 <><

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyren
        True. Yet is this added as a pure money grab by Disney or has it come about because of a gradual change in consumer spending habits and the taking on ofdebt rather than save and pay upfront?
        I am willing to bet Disney noticed financing for trips to their parks was happening through 3rd parties and decided to get some of the financing dollars. Nothing wrong with picking money up off the street before someone else gets it.
        I think it is consumer spending is different than it used to be the avg american has 5 credit cards in their wallet and think nothing of reaching for plastic over cash. My family does not go to DL as oftain as I would like but I refuse to go if i have to finance penny of it....we only go if I have saved enough to pay for everything up front.

as far as DL costing too much, every part of a trip to DL is variable except the tickets (which we have already illistrated are on par with other locations entrance fees) (you can even find deals on tickets if you really try and are flexable)
        rooms range in price from $35/night-$400 night a huge difference.
        food is easy to fit into a budget as well, if you can and want to eat in the parks you will pay more, (though there are some deals to be had...It just takes some research) If you don't want to pay disney prices there are some very nice affordable options with in a few blocks (some as close as across the street) of the resort.

so really price is subjective depending on what you want and if you are willing to do a bit of research first....

my honeymoon (10 yrs ago) 5 days 4 nights hotel 5 day tickets to DL (no DCA yet) meals all in park, souvinears, round trip airfair, and transportation to and from (4 ways, home-airport, airport-hotel, hotel-airport, airport-home)
        was aprox $900 not bad....(I think I am over estimating how much we actually spent)

2 years ago trip for 4: 2 adults 2 kids (8 & 3) room on site PPH 5 nights, 5 day park hoppers, meals total of 6 days all in resort...no off-site dining, souvinears, including 3 charactor meals. aprox $2000

not to bad for what we got
        not to say $2000 is cheap, but we budgeted, I did a ton of reasearch, and we went all on site, charactor meals, etc...it could have been done for WAY LESS this was a splurg trip....

my point...all trips have variables, you just have to decide if you want to save and spend a lot (I saved for a year for that last trip) or go in 2 weeks on what you have in your budget right now.
        procrastibating

Comment

I know when our family of four went to our local fair last year, we spent an easy $150.00 on the day between admission and ride tickets and food. Plus the lines we waited in were unreal I'm talking hour waits, for nasty little rides that leave you sick or in pain or both.
          We go to Disneyland every couple of years. We start planning a year prior to our trip and we start saving and we use income tax returns. We don't charge a penny. Some people will think it's expensive and some won't, I wish it were cheaper but we save up so we can go. If we can afford to go anyone can.
          Tina

Comment

Originally posted by TicTocDragon
            I never thought I would see the day that Disney would be offering "FINANCING" for a vacation at DLR AND WDW. It sounds criminal that the average family would have to go this far to enjoy the fun.
            Are you talking about a 1 day local family visit to the park, or a multi-day, airfare, hotels, meals, etc kind of trip? I ask this because the latter is always expensive (Disney vacation or not) and many families charge these to their trusty rusty Visa card. Disney is just trying to tap into that market as well (they most likely only get a commision from the bank that is actually doing the financing).

FWIW, the "average" family (2 parents, 2 kids, 50K household income) has a hard time affording any out of town vacation that doesn't involve driving to and staying at grandma's house.

Comment

To me, 50$ is a lot to pay for admission, even to a disney park. One thing about single day admission at all the other socal parks(Universal, Knotts, SFMM) is that you can find deep discounts on tickets that bring the price down to more like 35$ if you're a socal resident. But discounts on DLR tickets are nearly non-existant, even for socal residents. So I feel like single day admission is somewhat overpriced. However, I paid 100$ for a SoCal select AP, and I have gotten a lot of time in the park for that price, by the time I leave SoCal, I think my overall price per visit will be less than 10$.
              I don't like the parking price, 10$ is a lot to pay although on the Sunset strip parking is regularly 20$, which means it could be a lot worse.
              I think certain merchandise, like sweatshirts are overpriced(60$ish last I checked)although some merchandise is resonable given that items with the disney brand are worth something extra.
              Of course, the most overpriced thing in the park is water, something that I almost never buy at the park.

Comment

with online deals at hotwire or priceline and research engines like travelaxe plus a bit of research online at sites like this, one can make a dl trip as inexpensive as one wishes. i mean you can even camp out if you want to.
                i go once a year and manage to do it for around $500 for 3 days. that is including airfare, motel, 3 day park hopper ticket and meals. if my sister goes with me, then i get to have a little for souvenirs.
                in the past, i have gone to dl for around $300. that is a really tight, eat mostly microwave meals, and drive 9 hrs kind of trip. i only do that if i haven't had a fix in a couple of years.
                btw, i have a very low income. dl is just worth the expense and sacrifice. the chance to really escape into a different world. i look forward to it all year.
                Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Originally posted by millionairegirl
                  But millions of families do. If they are willing to pay those prices for that kind of half-day entertainment, then they shouldn't complain about the cost of a full day at Disney. I feel the same when people complain about parking going up. $10 is not outrageous when you compare it to the cost of parking at Knott's, SeaWorld, MM, or even the Rose Bowl.
                  So because millions of families pay the prices foisted on them (with what alternatives? How many other Disney parks can I go to in Southern California?), that makes it okay, huh?

That's like saying that gas isn't really expensive in California, because millions of Californians are "willing" to pay $2.50 - $3.00 a gallon for it. What options do you have if you don't want to or can't? If gas prices increased as much, as quickly, and as regularly as Disneyland prices did, you'd have a driver's revolt on your hands.

Next time your property taxes go up, millionairegirl, don't come crying to us about it. You're willing to pay whatever it takes, so you have no reason to whine. Let's see, how does a $300,000 annual property tax bill sound? Sounds good to me - pay up.
                  My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

Originally posted by millionairegirl
                    Oh, and Socal, you're forgeting the Toontown attractions, HISTA, and Buzz on your addition list.
                    I didn't mentions HISTA because I also didn't mention Capt Eo to the Lost list, which it replaced. Plus it's a wash anyway.

I didn't mention Buzz because it opened a few weeks ago, and I don't think that counts for the changes/cost increases of the previous years we are talking about.

But like I said, I'm happy where we're going...

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob66
                      So because millions of families pay the prices foisted on them (with what alternatives? How many other Disney parks can I go to in Southern California?), that makes it okay, huh?

That's like saying that gas isn't really expensive in California, because millions of Californians are "willing" to pay $2.50 - $3.00 a gallon for it. What options do you have if you don't want to or can't? If gas prices increased as much, as quickly, and as regularly as Disneyland prices did, you'd have a driver's revolt on your hands.

Next time your property taxes go up, millionairegirl, don't come crying to us about it. You're willing to pay whatever it takes, so you have no reason to whine. Let's see, how does a $300,000 annual property tax bill sound? Sounds good to me - pay up.
                      The difference between gas / taxes and theme park admission is that gas an taxes are not optional (public transit in So Cal is a joke - you have to have a car). Theme park admission is a luxury. Disney can raise the price as high as they like and most will gladly pay, to a point. supply and demand. as long as they can raise the price $5 every year and still get the number of people through the gates that they want to, they will raise the price. And they should. I would, and you would too if you ran the business. more operating income = more budget for cm matt to enhance the park with new rides, etc.

I don't mean to sound elitest, but if a family has to scrape just to make ends meet on a regular basis, should they be spending $400 on a Saturday at DL? I mean, I'd really like a Turbo Carrera, should I sell my house and move my family into an apartment so I can enjoy one?

I'm fine paying $53 bucks, or $330 for a PAP. I'd probably pay $60 and $400. would I pay $75? Probably not, or at least I'd only be going once a year or so.

Comment

When I was younger my family went once a year to DL and it was exciting and a treat for the entire family. Until about 98. I think there was a good couple years I didn't go at all. More recently I refused to pay to go to DL I have friends and family who are Cast Members and if I wanted to go I arranged to be signed in. This year I treated myself with a Primo Pass and I love it. I go once or twice a week and it is totally worth it. The money I save in parking alone is great. Plus eating in the park is to me not bad to begin with but with my pass I get 10% off, that goes for the merch as well.

As for an out-of-towner visit, the prices are worth the experience, because you cannot find a Disneyland anywhere else. SAVE SAVE SAVE

Yay! My first Post!

Comment

I don't think DL is overpriced. When I see the amount of cast members, for rides, parades, shows, and the ones we don't see (tech's, mechanics, and the like) I wonder how they even pull it off at a profit. The park doesn't hold that many people. As far as food, I think Disneyland does much better than other local parks.
                          At disneyland, I noticed that meals (burgers, sandwiches, tacos, and the like) are reasonably priced. The overpriced items are sodas, churros, pretzels, and other snack items. This is understandable, its like a luxury tax.
                          Sustenance, for poorer families, is well-priced. Those who want all the treats and souvenirs pay a premium. Works out well. I actually believe that the majority of DL profit comes from beverage kiosks, and plush toys.
                          This user stole the identity of one of our moderators and created a sock puppet using her name, picture, personal information, and links. As a result, he was banned. Other Disney sites are being warned. If you suspect that a new member is (Steak) in sock-puppet form, please let the Mod team know.

Comment

It depends.

If you underprice a product or service, you will guarantee its scarcity. Price admission to DL too low and the park will be jammed everyday and you will have to turn people away at the gates. And you probably won't make any profit.

Price it too high and DL will always be empty. And you probably won't make any profit.

Comment

The problem here is that if you were to force gas to a lower price then there would be shortages. No one is denying that gas is relatively expensive these days. But based on supply and demand the price will gravitate to equilibrium.

Anyway, if you think that prices are high now, you'ld better make sure that your lap bar is pulled back. Soaring demand in China and other Asian countries will push worldwide crude oil prices ver higher. $4 a gallon in a few years is a real possibility. I would recommend selling the Suburban now!

Comment

Enough people go to justify the ticket price. Too bad if not everyone can afford to go at that price. It's not a charity, and a certain element is reduced or eliminated at this high price.
                                The price doesn't need to be this high, though. AP holders reduce the ticket revenue intake, so the deficit has to be made up somewhere.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X