This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone remember a little word...Inflation
    I just did the math...lets look at addmision only and see how much it really is to walk through the gates...bear with me there are a lot of options

lets start with the basic
    1 day 1 park = $53
    1 day 2 parks =$73 or 36.50 per park

from here on out it's parkhopper tickets:
    2 day PH = $105 or $52.50 per day or $26.25 per day per park
    3 day PH = $139 or $46.33/day or $23.16/park per day
    4 day PH = $159 or $39.75/day or $19.87/park per day
    5 day PH = $169 or $33.80/day or $16.40/park per day

no wait it gets better...
    AP prices
    PAP = $329 or 90 cents per day
    DAP = $209 or 65 cents per day
    DAP with parking = $258 or 65 cents per day
    So Cal AP =$99 or 56 cents per day
    So Cal with parking = $148 or 85 cents per day

the absolute most addmision into the park will cost you is $53 per day

Personaly I do not think this is overpriced
    heck a So Cal AP can get in for 56 cents a day and PAP for 90 cents a day....I challenge anyone to find a better deal anywhere!

BTW I am not an AP holder, I save my pennies until I can take my family without financing it...and I think it's very reasonable!
    Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 04-25-2005, 02:20 PM.
    procrastibating

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbelle

no wait it gets better...
      AP prices
      PAP = $329 or 90 cents per day
      DAP = $209 or 65 cents per day
      DAP with parking = $258 or 65 cents per day
      So Cal AP =$99 or 56 cents per day
      So Cal with parking = $148 or 85 cents per day
      (...well, it's a little more per day than that figuring blackout days....but you betcha I've got my AP! )
      "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
      -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
        (...well, it's a little more per day than that figuring blackout days....but you betcha I've got my AP! )
        actualy I did the math only for valid days those are the accurate rates

Edited to add: Ok I made 1 error (that I found)
        DAP with parking is 80 cents a day
        Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 04-25-2005, 06:09 PM.
        procrastibating

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbelle
          actualy I did the math only for valid days those are the accurate rates

Edited to add: Ok I made 1 error (that I found)
          DAP with parking is 80 cents a day
          I stand corrected and even HAPPIER with my AP! WooHoo!
          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

LOL, glad to make you smile
            Quite the deal isn't it?
            procrastibating

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob66
              But see, Tom, people didn't have these conversations 30 or 40 years ago. Why? Because Disneyland was affordable to everyone.
              That is debatable. I was around in the "good old days", and we went through ticket books like they were cotton candy. Sometimes we exhasted the budget and ended up leaving early. And we only went once a year, even though we lived nearby in Fountain Valley.

One of the pluses of the old system is that lines didn't seem to be as long as they do today, especially towards the end of the day (when most people decided they had spent enough). So if money was no object life was good.

Fast forwarding to today: I have noticed that there always large numbers of hispanic families at DL. As a group, these folks have below average incomes. And yet they come to DL.

Comment

Originally posted by twinmom
                My husband and I have been having this debate. He feels DL is too expensive for the average family.
                Nope. Not too expensive.

If people can't afford to go, then they need to save better in making plans to go there.

Al

Comment

Originally posted by Inkman
                  Nope. Not too expensive.

If people can't afford to go, then they need to save better in making plans to go there.

Al
                  Welcome to MiceChat, Inkman!

I do agree that most "typical" families should be able to afford a trip to Disneyland. It is largely a matter of priorities ....... if you want to go badly enough, do other optional things less, an eventually you'll have enough saved up to go.

Although I feel that it would be better to save up and pay cash for a trip, I would not be opposed to the use of financing (either through Disney or using plastic) if there were a certain timliness to be gained by going before the money could be saved.

For instance, it has been obseved by many that teenagers, for whatever reason, often lose interest in Disneyland in favor of more thrill-based parks like Magic Mountain. So, if you have a ten-year old, and it is going to take you 5 or 6 years to save up for that trip to DL, you may want to consider going sooner than later so as to get better value. IMHO.
                  "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
                  - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

I think to determine if it's TOO expensive, and determine it fairly, you have to look at the market and their competitors. Yes, $53 isn't cheap, so maybe you only go once a year, or even every couple of years. But would you rather pay $53 and be able to go from 8 to midnight (using an example) or would you rather pay the same price and go to Sea World from 10-6? Or Universal where you'll be done in half a day?

We just went to the local fair this weekend and dropped $60 in about 2 hours. That's 5 rides (with only my daughter and 1 of us going on with her), parking, admission, cotton candy, funnel cake and a soda. Oh, and $10 to let my daughter go on an elephant ride that lasted all of a minute. She at least gets to ride Dumbo longer than that! Their food prices for junk were higher than a good meal at the French Market. The circus is just as bad. We would pay as much or more for a fine restaurant here as we would at one of the fine dining resorts at Disney World.

And when we were pricing family vacations this summer, when you factor in transportation, hotels and meals, it didn't come out much less than a Disney World vacation. So the prices are higher than they used to be, but when you factor in long operating hours, outstanding cast members and a clean park, I'd rather spend $53 for Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Cactus
                      And when we were pricing family vacations this summer, when you factor in transportation, hotels and meals, it didn't come out much less than a Disney World vacation. So the prices are higher than they used to be, but when you factor in long operating hours, outstanding cast members and a clean park, I'd rather spend $53 for Disney.
                      So true. Any real vacation (not visiting grandma) is expensive. Now if grandma lives in Orange County, and you live within a day's drive, then a DL vacation can indeed be done on the cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by fkurucz
                        That is debatable. I was around in the "good old days", and we went through ticket books like they were cotton candy. Sometimes we exhasted the budget and ended up leaving early. And we only went once a year, even though we lived nearby in Fountain Valley.

One of the pluses of the old system is that lines didn't seem to be as long as they do today, especially towards the end of the day (when most people decided they had spent enough). So if money was no object life was good.

Fast forwarding to today: I have noticed that there always large numbers of hispanic families at DL. As a group, these folks have below average incomes. And yet they come to DL.
                        There is a Mexican middle class, who work hard, save their money, and vacation as a family. Mexican culture is very extended family focused. They want to travel with everyone dear to them. Family members will pitch in and pay for those who can't afford it. They have the right idea about spending quality time together.
                        Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

Originally posted by travelmom
                          There is a Mexican middle class, who work hard, save their money, and vacation as a family. Mexican culture is very extended family focused. They want to travel with everyone dear to them. Family members will pitch in and pay for those who can't afford it. They have the right idea about spending quality time together.
                          I am aware of this, as I am Mexican. I am talking about local LA Hispanic families, and not people from Mexico City or Guadalajara (you can tell by their accents). My point was that if immigrants who "do low paying jobs that Americans won't do" can afford DL, then it isn't too incredibly expensive.
                          Last edited by fkurucz; 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Giant Panda
                            Welcome to MiceChat, Inkman!
                            Thanks for the welcome. I've been on here a while and registered during the hacking fiasco and it never went thru. Finally just went and re-registered.

Also had pc problems and could only peruse at work, but am now back up (for who knows how long).

Wanted to elaborate just one tiny bit on the "too expensive" part.

My family can afford the DLH. We love it there and feel like for the entire week, we never leave DL. We can't afford the GCH though. Well maybe, but wouldn't be excited about it. We definitely cannot afford the concierge upgrade. That is a lot of $$s for what is actually offered IMHO. Do we complain that we can't afford the top of the line package? Of course not. We know what we can afford and what we cannot afford and enjoy the time we have at DLH and at the park.

There is a reason that there numerous motels/hotels surrounding DL. They are for those that cannot afford DLH. People save up and stay at Good Neighbor places or with family in the area. I'm sure their time in the park is as fun as ours is. They look all the same to me as we're nodding in passing and saying hello. They just have a tighter budget is all.

Same with the people who complain that DL is too expensive. If it's that hard on someone monetarily to attend the park, then they need to look at their priorities. Stop spending $3.00 a morn at *$s and save $60.00 a month. Stop eating out 3 or 4 nites a week. Decide how much you really want to go to DL and do it or just sit back and tell yourself that you simply cannot give up that $720.00 *$s fix for the year and that, THAT, it is more important to you than going to DL.

It can be very simple if you look at it in the long run.

Also.....i have alot of respect for those folks who plan, scrimp and save for a year or two for their DL vacation. They are the ones doing anything they can to enjoy the magic.

Al~ramble done.

Comment

Hi everyone...long time reader first time poster.

Im headed to DLR on may 9th and coming back to sacramento on may 13th. I have 3 days at DLR and 1 day at Universal. Before I get into weather I think DLR is too expensive let me share my budget with you:

$318 for 2 3-Day Park Hopper tickets (At gate)
                              $258 for 4 days hotel stay (Holiday inn express)
                              $116 for 2 Universal tickets
                              $60 for various airport shuttles to hotel (SuperShuttle to and from)
                              $308 Airfare southwest Airlines for 2 people on fun fare

Now this does not include food or souvineers. IF you eliminate the universal studios and 1 night of the hotel the disneyland portion come to roughly $860 including 3 nights hotel, airfare, and shuttles. works out to about $216 a day for 2 people. I understand the hotel, airfare and shuttle costs are not any of DLR's problem and are my responsibility. The DLR part of that price is not a majority in the slightest (about $40). Do I think DLR is too expensive? Mabey slightly. Do I agree ticket price cuts are in order...yes of course but not huge ones. Also being a Northern California resident Im none too happy at SoCal discounts but I can see the SoCal side of it I used to live in Bakersfield In my opinion the real cost that could use cutting would be the airlines and hotels. Arlines are trying but the hotels has a stranglehold in the area and take up most of the travel budget next to airfair. I used every trick in the book to get the prices down this far but still this is only 2 people not 4 like most families. I propose a solution would be to offer a discount for groups of 3 or more. "Buy 2 full price admissions ad get 3rd at 50%" or something like that. I do personally believe though that that will never happen in a million years

DLRDCA_Jerry
                              Last edited by DLRDCA_Jerry; 04-29-2005, 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by fkurucz
                                Maybe they're not average hispanic familes that are going to DL. Maybe they bought APs. Maybe it's the same six AP families you see over and over.
                                Just maybe.
                                Average (your use of "as a group") is one statistic. Variance from the average (the mean) is just as important.

Comment

I am planning a trip (from New Mexico) to go to disneyland for 5 days in august... we will be staying at a hotel just outside of the resort and we get both parks and all that jazz... I have figured that it will cost about $1300... I dont mind paying the expense... it is totally worth it...

I come form a family of 11 and about a year ago my family bought the middle level of AP... it was amazing... the saved and we were just sort of used to it... we always saved during the year so that we could have really nice vacations... it dosent take much in order to save for a vacation... I say that as an 18 yr. old just out of high school with a server job and a family to feed (my b/f and his brother) i have to pay $500 for rent and utilities plus my car payment as well as insurance... I have thus far avoided credit cards... and I dont mind so much the idea that when you book a vacation online you pay part now and part later... I actually like the idea a lot...

I dont think that it would take much to bring down the price again... I remember when so cal residents could get a one day for $38 with the special deals... and i think that we would all not mind paying only $40 for a pass... I know (and I still stick by it) I could pay a full admission and go into the park and just sit in the hub and do nothing but sit there all day and I would feel like I got my money's worth...

Disney is not all about the attractions it is an enviroment... you are also paying for that... and we all know that there is nothing like it any where else...

The other thing is that at the mcdonalds just across the street it is only like $4 for a meal... I know that I drink water the whole time and I dont eat in the park except for maybe one nice meanl or character dineing... it just works better for me...

Okay this was not suppose to be this long
                                  -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
                                  Shines in the night for you
                                  To tell you that the dreams you plan
                                  Really can come true

Comment

I think Disneyland is only as expensive as you let it be. The only price that Disney really can get you on is the admission price/Parking. You don't have to buy anything while your there. but with that said, The prices at the DLR aren't much more then they are in the surrounding areas. I can get a kids meal cheaper then I can buy a lunchable and a soda at the local store. I guess the cost is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
                                      Admission to Disneyland in 1971 was $3.50. That included NO rides. A Big 10 book (admission and 10 attractions...mostly A,B,C,) was $4.95. Cheap! Adjusted for inflation, however, the Big 10 book today would cost $23.55. Perhaps the "fair" price today should be $23.55. Disney executives have decided that it was actually underpriced at the old level and the actual value of admission should be more like $53.00.
                                      Another thing to consider is that multiday passports did not exist in the good old days. We all know that when they are on sale 5 day flex passes can be relatively inexpensive, as low as $25 per day.

I know that this doesn't help locals who visit 1 day a year, but for out of town folk it allows for an inexpensive multi-day visit. Of course, the more days you spend at the resort, the less of a rush you will be in, and you will be more likely to drop cash on goodies.

Comment

It is starting to get a bit pricey... but its worth it!!!!

Comment

if they lowered the price, imagine how much more crowded it'd be.. yuck.
                                          And then the value of the park would just decrease like crazy. Yeah the park would make more money as a result of more people, but dang, i dont think anyone could enjoy it when it was crowded ALL the time.

-Lauryn

Comment

Working...
                                          X