Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Is Disneyland too expensive?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am planning a trip (from New Mexico) to go to disneyland for 5 days in august... we will be staying at a hotel just outside of the resort and we get both parks and all that jazz... I have figured that it will cost about $1300... I dont mind paying the expense... it is totally worth it...

I come form a family of 11 and about a year ago my family bought the middle level of AP... it was amazing... the saved and we were just sort of used to it... we always saved during the year so that we could have really nice vacations... it dosent take much in order to save for a vacation... I say that as an 18 yr. old just out of high school with a server job and a family to feed (my b/f and his brother) i have to pay $500 for rent and utilities plus my car payment as well as insurance... I have thus far avoided credit cards... and I dont mind so much the idea that when you book a vacation online you pay part now and part later... I actually like the idea a lot...

I dont think that it would take much to bring down the price again... I remember when so cal residents could get a one day for $38 with the special deals... and i think that we would all not mind paying only $40 for a pass... I know (and I still stick by it) I could pay a full admission and go into the park and just sit in the hub and do nothing but sit there all day and I would feel like I got my money's worth...

Disney is not all about the attractions it is an enviroment... you are also paying for that... and we all know that there is nothing like it any where else...

The other thing is that at the mcdonalds just across the street it is only like $4 for a meal... I know that I drink water the whole time and I dont eat in the park except for maybe one nice meanl or character dineing... it just works better for me...

Okay this was not suppose to be this long
    -Miss Wendy Lynn

The second star to the right
    Shines in the night for you
    To tell you that the dreams you plan
    Really can come true

Comment

I think Disneyland is only as expensive as you let it be. The only price that Disney really can get you on is the admission price/Parking. You don't have to buy anything while your there. but with that said, The prices at the DLR aren't much more then they are in the surrounding areas. I can get a kids meal cheaper then I can buy a lunchable and a soda at the local store. I guess the cost is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney
        Admission to Disneyland in 1971 was $3.50. That included NO rides. A Big 10 book (admission and 10 attractions...mostly A,B,C,) was $4.95. Cheap! Adjusted for inflation, however, the Big 10 book today would cost $23.55. Perhaps the "fair" price today should be $23.55. Disney executives have decided that it was actually underpriced at the old level and the actual value of admission should be more like $53.00.
        Another thing to consider is that multiday passports did not exist in the good old days. We all know that when they are on sale 5 day flex passes can be relatively inexpensive, as low as $25 per day.

I know that this doesn't help locals who visit 1 day a year, but for out of town folk it allows for an inexpensive multi-day visit. Of course, the more days you spend at the resort, the less of a rush you will be in, and you will be more likely to drop cash on goodies.

Comment

It is starting to get a bit pricey... but its worth it!!!!

Comment

if they lowered the price, imagine how much more crowded it'd be.. yuck.
            And then the value of the park would just decrease like crazy. Yeah the park would make more money as a result of more people, but dang, i dont think anyone could enjoy it when it was crowded ALL the time.

-Lauryn

Comment

Originally posted by sediment
              Maybe they're not average hispanic familes that are going to DL. Maybe they bought APs. Maybe it's the same six AP families you see over and over.
              Just maybe.
              Average (your use of "as a group") is one statistic. Variance from the average (the mean) is just as important.
              Fair enough, I did not inquire what their household income was.....

However.....

1) There are very many such families in the park.
              2) I can tell from their accents and the overall quality of their Spanish that they are not very educated, and hence are likely to have below average incomes.

I do agree that these families most likely do scrimp and save, and they do it because they deeply value spending time together as a family. But they could spend quality time together elsewhere. They must believe that DL is not overpriced.

And FWIW, I personally find that a week long out of state trip to DLR isn't that much more expensive than any other sort of "real" vacation. Nice, cheap hotels (like HoJo's) are available. Try that in Hawaii or South Padre Island.

We need to realize that DLR and WDW are premium products. Other than Universal's Resort in Orlando there is nothing like them in the US.

Comment

Re: Is Disneyland too expensive?

MickeyJCD wrote:Business is trying to squeeze every last drop out of the consumer, and as a consumer, I feel like I have no one to pass my "operating expenses" on to. I'm not saying that businesses shouldn't try to make as much money as possible, but if I'm going to pay the premium prices they're asking, I should deserve a premium product. And Disneyland is no longer offering a premium product (attraction closures, empty spaces, general disrepair, consumer safety issues). It's getting better, but like I said before, that will give the execs an excuse to raise ticket prices even more.

Here's the thing: if you don't believe that you're getting a premium product then you don't have to pay the admission price!

Disneyland only gets MORE crowded everytime that admission is raised. Why? Because it's simply the pinnacle of experience-based entertainment. Ballgames, skiing, concerts, shows, they all charge high prices and they all still continue to operate. For the experience the average Guest receives at Disneyland, it's still a bargain comparitively speaking.

I will gladly hand over my dollars to experience the kind of high I get from walking under that bridge. And the Disney Company knows that. If anything, you should be grateful that admission isn't TWICE what it is now. And you definitely should thank your lucky stars that a true Disneylander is now in charge of the place. This argument would be extremely different if Pressler and Co. were still in the big chairs.

I certainly don't like paying $50+ to get in but you know what I don't like even MORE? An insanely crowded Disneyland. I would pay the admission price to get in during late Feb/early March with fewer operating hours and bad weather just to get away from the crowds! (I can't BELIEVE that my family is even considering going at Christmas this year...)

Comment

I don't think its expensive at all! I'm not sure how many of you ski/snowboard, golf, go to dinner & movies...but when you figure it, it's a bit cheaper to go to DLR than many other activities. I see it this way because I look at it as a dollar per hour figure. ie: I go snowboarding in Utah for $45 a day but the most I ever actually participate is about 4-5 hours of the day. At DLR, you can spend $53 for a ticket and participate for as many as 16-17 hours in a day (8 am to 1am if you stay to shop on main street).

Comment

Originally posted by Opie
                    I don't think its expensive at all! I'm not sure how many of you ski/snowboard, golf, go to dinner & movies...but when you figure it, it's a bit cheaper to go to DLR than many other activities. I see it this way because I look at it as a dollar per hour figure. ie: I go snowboarding in Utah for $45 a day but the most I ever actually participate is about 4-5 hours of the day. At DLR, you can spend $53 for a ticket and participate for as many as 16-17 hours in a day (8 am to 1am if you stay to shop on main street).
                    it's $56/day, now But, that's not the real number to use. How many of us truthfully pay that much? I am sure most of us either have APs and have no reason to complain about price, or get park hoppers for something b/t $30 and $40/day, which is VERY reasonable (less than even Six Flags!). Food prices are completely in line with what I see at other theme parks, but the food at these other places (esp. Six Flags) is really bad...I'm more willing to pay $9 for a burger and fries from Taste Pilots knowing that it will taste good than I am to buy a $7 stale sub from a Subway wannabe at Six Flags.
                    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
                    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
                      it's $56/day, now But, that's not the real number to use. How many of us truthfully pay that much? I am sure most of us either have APs and have no reason to complain about price, or get park hoppers for something b/t $30 and $40/day, which is VERY reasonable (less than even Six Flags!).
                      I agree. Disneyland is reasonably priced.

Comment

Ya I think its getting up there! people are right about it being a business and they are priced for maximum profit. But really what you get for your money is sort of worth it! Except for all the pushy parents in line for character autographs and pictures but thats a whole other thread> Anyways I just spent $4000 Cnd for a package for 4 people plus an extra 2 grand @ the park and surroundings! I make enough money for my family to live well but I'm probably going to have to cut my diz Fix from once a year to once every 3-4 years
                        BOO!

Comment

Disneyland is NOT too expensive. See mypost on this topic here.
                          I need to get a life...

Comment

Let me think about this. The average theme park charges $3 for a water, and disneyland is above average so theirs will be $5. And in Californias hot weatheryou will probably drink a water about every hour or so. And we are in the park for the average of 14 hours. So thats a total of $70 just on water for one person for one day.
                            NO, I don't think disneyland is too expensive. :thumbdown
                            ACTUALLY in all honesty, joking aside. With the exception of food, I think disneyland is actually quite resonable. You are paying for the extra service and cleanlyness you don't get at normal themeparks.
                            Beautify Yourself

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X