X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this place?

Where is this place? I wanna go!

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Can I come with you?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Comment

Nice, but your avator shows where I'd rather go.
      Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

Wait! I've been there before! It was tres cool! Last time I checked, that beautiful dream turned into a nightmare.

Comment

I was there once. I remember my neck hurting from looking up and around at everything moving, and being totally distracted by all the cool stuff to look at and wonder about...
          "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

Comment

Ive been there to, now it looks like my nightmares
            ~I Am Finally Just Me~

My Youtube Video Blog

Comment

It's a great big beautiful yesterday!
              ------------------
              DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
              http://www.comedy4cast.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Chaney

Seriously, can't you just picture those planters with the orange and purple "waves" brought back and turned into a real water feature? No more Trioton, no ugly copper "rocks," no Victorian hunkajunks blocking the entrance. Just some plexiglass and sunken lights crossed by a bridge into that brighty, shiny, great big beautiful Tomorrowland...
                See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
                78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I can't help but think tacky. Even if '98 was a failure its clear something new was needed.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                    I can't help but think tacky. Even if '98 was a failure its clear something new was needed.
                    Yeah, I can see how a land that's clean, and full of color and life and motion had to go :monkey:

I wonder if they could get the "gates" to look that metallic again. I just can't get over how crisp and cared for it all looks.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

I remember going there.... I rode the People Mover and fell asleep. I went into Circle Vision and fell asleep. I went on Rocket Jets and wondered why they put the kiddy ride so high in the air. I went to Mission to Mars and had one heck of a laugh at the "special" effects... Special like those olympics.

The skyway was fun... getting to try to hit people with little pebbles... and stuff.

America Sings that closed all too quickly.

Adventures through inner space.... It really was pretty much a joke.... Giant foam snow flakes and all.

I'd MUCH rather have Tomorrowland 2007 (Space Mt., Star Tours, Buzz, Nemo, Chevron cars) than Tomorrowland '67.

Comment

Boy I miss that place!

The clean lines were way more futuristic looking than 98's overhaul ever were. They failed in 98, when they should have just found a way to update the look of the classic Tomorrowland.

I say let SHAG do a redesign of the area. Kind of old 60's retro futuristic meets science fiction! Now that would be cool!
                        www.deliciousmayhem.net
                        www.kidseatingpaste.com

Comment

Originally posted by dshimel
                          I remember going there.... I rode the People Mover and fell asleep. I went into Circle Vision and fell asleep. I went on Rocket Jets and wondered why they put the kiddy ride so high in the air. I went to Mission to Mars and had one heck of a laugh at the "special" effects... Special like those olympics.

The skyway was fun... getting to try to hit people with little pebbles... and stuff.

America Sings that closed all too quickly.

Adventures through inner space.... It really was pretty much a joke.... Giant foam snow flakes and all.

I'd MUCH rather have Tomorrowland 2007 (Space Mt., Star Tours, Buzz, Nemo, Chevron cars) than Tomorrowland '67.

Actually, I don't altogether disagree with you in theory. PeopleMover and Circlevision weren't thrilling. But, they did appeal to older folks and those not interested in thrills. These people like to have fun too. They put the kiddy ride high in the air to make it more interesting (...and not just a kiddy ride like it is now.) It's kind of pretty up there too, isn't it? Mission to Mars probably wouldn't hold up today but it's effects weren't much more stoogy than HISTA. Certainly more interesting than a plate of pasta.

So you're why the Skyway is closed!

CoP or America Sings were both a better use of a rotating theatre than the current occupant.

ATIS had its limitations, but people liked it. Go figure. I like Star Tours a lot too. Hopefully the rumours of an update will come true.

I'm soooo looking forward to TL 2007 also. Somehow I think the powers-that-be are smart enough to provide us with up to date attractions in a bright, forward looking atmosphere. That appears to be the direction. And that's really all my original post was about. It was more about the theme than the details.
                          "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
                          -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by swagdaddy
                            Boy I miss that place!

The clean lines were way more futuristic looking than 98's overhaul ever were. They failed in 98, when they should have just found a way to update the look of the classic Tomorrowland.

I say let SHAG do a redesign of the area. Kind of old 60's retro futuristic meets science fiction! Now that would be cool!
                            Well, you wouldn't want to go too Barbarella with the design. I mean, think of the implications for the Observatron.

I agree though, no more space gingerbread. Simplified design with a heavy dose of geometric shapes, paired with murals and other landscape and art installations that can be swapped out every couple years, and you have a simple but effective way to keep ahead of the trends and keep Tomorrowland forward-looking.

That was part of the magic of the World on the Move. Everything was whizzing past you so fast, you never really had time to sit and find fault in the theme. You look one way, and there's some new transportation shooting above you. Then a stage raises out of the ground with a band on it. Then something starts spinning high above on Rocket Tower. And just ahead of you, that building's whole first floor is revolving. For attractions like PM and Rocket Jets, the land becomes part of the ride's show, and the ride becomes part of the land's show.

When even a still picture makes you feel the land's motion, that tells you something. Hopefully the motion is returning.

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O
                              Hahaha yeah... i'm glad someone else thinks the way I do. 98 was a failure, but this just looked like a really nice outdoor shopping mall. Though every idea behind it (everything moving) is a great idea. And i love the open entrance. But the way the new Tomorroland is coming (can we call it Tomorrowland '05?) is looking great...except the entrance is still blocked by somethig that needs to be up higher.

Click the banner! ^^^^
                              Follow us on Twitter
                              @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                              Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Wow...another blast to the past (no pun intended!)...! I think I was there once (when dirt was new?... or, was that when black and white TVs were all the rage????!!).
                                ....it all began with a Mouse...

Comment

I remember that place... it was beyond cool!

Is it just me, or does it still look futuristic to you? (Pplmover car design and color scheme aside, but I can forgive that because the look just makes me so.... happy!) This is what the future looked like before Star Wars introduced the idea of the "used future". Not that I'm complaining about Star Wars, mind you, but our perception of the future used to be all clean, bright, efficient. Since Star Wars, we've been subjected to visions of an Alien/Aliens-like future - grimy, dangerous, stressful. I want to go back!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

CoP or America Sings were both a better use of a rotating theatre than the current occupant.

Better for the guest. Financial dead-end for the company. They cost huge amounts of money to operate (and build for America Sings since CoP was paid for by GE) and they grew stale WAY to fast to justify that cost.

America Sings operater for only 14 years... Do the math. $100 million for Pirates, Indy, Mansion, Matterhorn, and they last forever. $100 million for America Sings and you're shutting it down for spare parts after 14 years.

Which is more cost effective?

AND, the current piece of crap that is in there isn't really an attraction. It is an excuse to generate product placement dollars, the ONLY kind of sponsorship dollars that are available these days! Monsanto, Bell, FedEx, GE, AT&T..... ALL GONE!

Comment

never been there :*(
                                      i wish i had a time machine!!!!

-Lauryn

Comment

Most of all I miss the rocket jets as the weenie for Tomorrowland. The Astro Orbitor just blocks all the sight lines (not that there has been much to see!)
                                        The Mur
                                        ______________________________________________
                                        Two different worlds.....we live in two different worlds

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X