This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who rebuilt Space Mountain?!

As we all know Space Mountain has been completely rebuilt inside, although the same track layout has been re-employed (allegedly). My question is what company or contractor did the construction? I've heard many say it was Vekoma, but I've read that it was Amec Dynamic Structures who was on the new project. I know that Vekoma built the ORIGINAL Space Mountain for Florida, Anaheim, and Tokyo. But on the Roller Coaster Database (RCDB.com) they list Amec as the designer/builder of the refurbished Space Mountain. Does anybody know anything at all about this? I know Disney has a good relationship with Vekoma, but I don't think it impossible for them to use someone else for a change, especially since Vekoma had their run the first time around. What are your thoughts, or what have you heard if anything?
    Thanks for any feedback!
    All Hail Space Mountain!!! :bow:

If they own the design, they could use whoever they want...Except slave labor.

Comment

I'm fairly confident it was Vekoma. Probably a good bet since the on-ride audio still works on Vekoma's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, unlike Intamin AG's California Screamin...
      -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
      I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
        I'm fairly confident it was Vekoma. Probably a good bet since the on-ride audio still works on Vekoma's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, unlike Intamin AG's California Screamin...

Check the Hong Kong version.. Vekoma Rides Manufacturing B.V. manufactured the track which is the same version as DL....

DL's is being listed by the Assembler.. Vekoma Rides Manufacturing B.V. Manufactured the track and vehicles but did not put the pieces together....

Vekoma Rides Track and Trains.... some other company is putting the pieces together.. (happens all the time..)

Hong Kong space Mt Stats
        Disney Land Old Space Mt Stats
        Disney Land New Space Mt Stats
        Last edited by figment1986; 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM.

Comment

There is a big difference between who manufactures and who actually assembles it. Usually, a normal engineering firm is selected for the assembly.

Expedition Everest and this new version of Space, along with the Hong Kong Space, are all using VEKOMA's new track design, which is more structurally braced for their new concepts, and supposedly A LOT stronger.
          Free Ipods!
          Free X-Box 360!

Comment

Hi Mountain Man~

I don't really care about the question you're asking, just as long as I get to be right by your side when you ride it for the first time!

xoxox
            DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan
              As we all know Space Mountain has been completely rebuilt inside, although the same track layout has been re-employed (allegedly). My question is what company or contractor did the construction? I've heard many say it was Vekoma, but I've read that it was Amec Dynamic Structures who was on the new project. I know that Vekoma built the ORIGINAL Space Mountain for Florida, Anaheim, and Tokyo. But on the Roller Coaster Database (RCDB.com) they list Amec as the designer/builder of the refurbished Space Mountain. Does anybody know anything at all about this? I know Disney has a good relationship with Vekoma, but I don't think it impossible for them to use someone else for a change, especially since Vekoma had their run the first time around. What are your thoughts, or what have you heard if anything?
              Thanks for any feedback!
              Vekoma did not build the original Space Mountain in Florida, California or Tokyo. I was recently able to confirm this with a friend who runs a web site called ultimaterollercoaster.com. BTW, the details on the ultimaterollercoaster.com site are far more accurate and complete than rcdb.com, but rcdb.com has more parks and coasters listed. Just so you know that.

The original designs were done in-house. Vekoma has been involved in a lot of Disney roller coaster projects dating back to Gadget's Go Coaster. Casey Jr. (Paris), Space Mountain (Paris), Big Thunder Mountain (Paris), Rock 'N Roller Coaster (Florida/Paris), Gadget's Go Coaster (California, Tokyo), Goofy's Barnstormer and Expedition Everest are all Vekoma projects. Disney has also worked with Intamin, Giovanola, Arrow and TOGO to design some of their coasters. They've also bought production model coasters with custom theme packages from Reverchon and Mack.

The original California Space Mountain (1977) evolved from the lack of space within Disneyland. They could not replicate the MK Space Mountain inside Disneyland so they designed a new roller coaster with updated layout, track and vehicles. Much of this work spilled over into the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad designs.

The new Space Mountain 2005 is the same layout as the old one, so design credit should not go to Vekoma. It is my understanding that Vekoma assisted in modifying the design to accomodate the updated support structure, plus they used their design for the track and spine. Basically, they were involved with the project, but deserve no credit.

Comment

I came across this one and figured I'd be able to lend a little light to the subject.

AMEC Dynamic Structures did indeed build the new Space Mountain for Disneyland. The version of the ride in Hong Kong was done by Vekoma (Vekoma Mk-900 track, Mk-1200 bogies adapted for the ride's layout). AMEC is a fairly new company to the amusement business but is doing well having built both of the Soarin' rides for DCA and Epcot, and now Space Mountain here in California. Why WDI went with AMEC is really puzzling to me, but eh, what're ya going to do.

AMEC Dynamic Structures - This link goes to their entertainment section of their site. The header graphic is actually of Space Mountain during track installation last year.
                Jim Disney
                Westcoaster.net

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenEars
                  Hi Mountain Man~

I don't really care about the question you're asking, just as long as I get to be right by your side when you ride it for the first time!

xoxox
                  Lucky Mountain Man
                  As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X