Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyparks.com site - how generic can you get?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyparks.com site - how generic can you get?

Reporter:"Now that you've won the super bowl, what are you gonna do next?"

Football player: "I'M GOING TO A DISNEY PARK(r)!"

So I just went to the disneyparks.com to register for the sweepstakes (which, I may digress, I cannot win even if they choose me, because you MUST take the winning trip on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year... but thats a topic for another thread), and was rather disgusted by this marketing campaign.

There is absolutely no character to any of this stuff. It is as bland, generic, and nausea-inducing as possible, starting with the "Disney Parks" logo. Each of the parks has its own character, which is the draw of going to each location. Why would I ever want to go to the Disney Park(r) in Florida if I have the Disney Park(r) in California right here?

Anyway, the site has more of the stepford children and generic "testimonials" which I couldn't even stomach. This is a bad bad bad campaign. I'm at Disneyland pretty often and I love to explore the web sites of the different parks. This "a Disney park is a Disney park is a Disney park" thing that's been started by Jay Rasulo shows how totally out of touch this guy is.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Re: Disneyparks.com site - how generic can you get?

Ok, I have to admit to kind of liking the "Disney Parks" logo, but you're right..... that website has a creepy P.T. Barnum feel to it.

Wouldn't it be better to promote the diversity of the parks? Try to get people excited about visiting not just one park, but all of them? Seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot with this campaign.

*edit: Just noticed that this is my 500th post. Hooray!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

I totally agree. HOW STUPID! Maybe they should say "I'm going to a generic Disney park near me!" I think that would work! NOT!

I think that the idea is that because it is "DISNEY" some how it is better. I think they are so wrong. In the last few years, management at Disney have done things no better than other amusement park operators.

I love Disneyland and Disney World because they are UNIQUE! That special quality really came from the vision of Walt Disney. He was the one who defined how a park should be with his creation of Disneyland. When Disney departs from his principles, as with Buzz lightyear and Stitch's great escape, then the parks no longer are attractive. I say through out the idea that ALL DISNEY PARKS ARE THE SAME and understand that a local, regional approach to promoting Disney parks is the ONLY successful approach.
      Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Wow that website is terrible. Another thing that I though was great was that for almost each video clip they have, its the same music.:lmao:

Comment

Imagine if GM did this. "Buy some GM car near you!" Even GM, a large company with many different "brands" knows that each brand has a following. If you like Saturn, you are not going to buy Buicks. Or let's take the case of Daimler-Chrysler. Imagine if they said, "Buy a Dodge or Mercedes or Jeep near you." No car company with many different labels would be stupid enough to try to market to every brand all at the same time. Some how the marketing wizards at Disney, who get paid mega-bucks cannot figure this out.
          Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think this website is indicative of the "Rasulo directive" to make the parks less distinct by cloning attractions.

This almost sounds like an evolution of the Pressler idea of off-the-shelf attractions. Since that fizzled so badly, seems like the compromise is to spend a lot of money on making a Disney-caliber attraction at one park.... and then make cheaper copies of it all over the world (ToT, anyone?).

I fear the parks might start looking more and more like this sad, generic website in the coming years. Lets hope Lasseter's west-coast bias will spare DL some of that.
            "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog
              So I just went to the disneyparks.com to register for the sweepstakes (which, I may digress, I cannot win even if they choose me, because you MUST take the winning trip on Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the Jewish year... but thats a topic for another thread), and was rather disgusted by this marketing campaign.
              I had read somewhere that they WOULD make an exception since it is Yom Kippur. I hope I win.

Comment

Why is Jay Rasulo doing this?!?! I remember going to Disneyland during the thirtyfifth anniversary and they gave out a GEO and it had the Party Gras parade and it was unbelievable!!!

This campaign is about as interesting as watching the infomercials for the Pasta Express. In a way, this whole campaign is the Pasta Express equivalent of theme park management. They tell you its different, they tell you it is less expensive and quicker, they tell you it is easier to clean and easier to store, they tell you it is fun and innovative.

But, as Chernabog has so aptly stated, this campaign is a huge waste of time and money for the company.

One thing Jay does have going for him is a dependable American public that CRAVES to celebrate uniform entertainment (think American Idol, CSI, Hope and Faith and the other 90% of popular network TV programming). This doesn't really work with theme parks in the same way, not even if you offer dream vacations.

One thing I cannot understand is why they are making it easy for someone to win the big prize without first paying to get into a park. Successful marketing is measured in increased revenue, and that means properly managing the carrot on the stick (or weenie in Uncle Walts case).

So besides this all being a low quality, banal, underwhelming, disenchanting, insincere, hollow, thoughtless, spineless, witless, craftless, soulless, colorless, powerless, shineless, imageless, shapeless, futureless, meaningless pile of rhetoric; it also happens to marry the less trusted Eisner-era practice of Micromanagement with the lusty greed of all those 50th celebration dollars.

This is in very bad form for management. It is like the new generation of Eisner cronies are taking their positions to reenact the Pressler show, 95' to 2003'. Grier is like the new Harris but this time with an amusing twin sister counterpart in Meg Crofton. And now to introduce the star, Jay Rasulo as Paul Pressler. To iilustrate what a star Jay thinks he is, remember back to where and when they announced this campaign: in June in an art Gallery in Soho (how Bourgeoise).

Someone else please explain why this announcement was a preview of the pain to come...
                "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
                A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

Comment

Originally posted by Mission Seagull
                  Why is Jay Rasulo doing this?!?!
                  Because he firmly believes it is in the best interest of the company's stock price.

Anybody else think he's in for a rude Pressler-style awakening one day?

--Walt Disney

Comment

we should strike :P

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                    ~

Comment

Originally posted by E-ticket
                      "Rasulo directive"...almost sounds like...making a Disney-caliber attraction...cheaper...

I fear the parks might start looking more and more like this sad, generic website in the coming years. Lets hope Lasseter's west-coast bias will spare DL some of that.
                      Yo this is a lot worse than Pressler. And by the way, ToT was not an install under Rasulo's call, that mild success of translation can be credited to Pressler and Harriss, although the idea probably generated itself from a yet unnamed low level executive in WDI that has since been laid off ;(

But you are right about the Pressler-era direction.

And what about Al Weiss?! Where is Al Weiss?! I hope that he isn't tied up and locked in a broom closet in Burbank right now cause this just doesn't seem like the kind of management style he would be supporting. Maybe Lasseter needs to suit up in an Incredibles costume and rescue us from the vile forces lurking at the Studios (his super power could be the ability to read the writing on the $^@%ing wall!) ;(
                      Last edited by Mission Seagull; 08-23-2006, 12:41 PM.
                      "You know it's a funny thing, but when I drink too many Gin and Tonics I start to glow in the dark."
                      A. Trebek, Jeopardy, aired 7/15/2010

SHAMELESS PLUG- Check out my gallery of original ride music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GLbC...layer_embedded

Comment

Hm... that music is from Peter Pan... the columbia release.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelan6
                          I had read somewhere that they WOULD make an exception since it is Yom Kippur. I hope I win.
                          From the sweepstakes rules:

Disqualification and the selection of an alternate winner may result from any of the following:...[5] potential winner's failure to be available to make the Trip.

So while they're leaving themselves an "out" to change the date, they're not leaving that up to the potential winner. At least, it certainly isn't in the sweepstakes rules.

Back to topic:

The good news is that each park, currently and in reality, DOES have its own character, despite what Disney marketing and Jay Rasulo would like you to believe. The bad news is, who knows how long it will remain that way.

This campaign is really a slap in the face to fans of the company. Really, when Al, Al's critics (who usually dis anything Al says on principle) TDA and the usual slew of disney apologists (who even defended Pressler and Harriss) hate Rasulo, there's a big big problem.
                          I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                          sigpic

Comment

i too read that the dates could be flexible. i got my info from the OTHER site, mouseplanet. here is what they said:

"We have received confirmation from Walt Disney World that, despite the fact that the sweepstakes appear to mandate that the prize must be taken October 1-4, 'the dates for the [prize] could become flexible should the need arise.'"

sounds like they might actually be willing to be flexible.
                            A true Disney gal…princess at heart, forever dreamer, constant believer :love: :ghug:

In serious need of a Disneyland trip
                            :captain: :ap: dMom

Check out my blog, Diary of a Disney Dork: http://diaryofadisneydork.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wickeddisneygurl
                              sounds like they might actually be willing to be flexible.
                              Yes, but I guess the point is, they don't have to be, and it would certainly be their right under the rules not to. Of course, that would create some very negative publicity if someone couldn't take the trip due to religious reasons and Disney disqualified them.

I'm just surprised the rules actually said "Walt Disney World", rather than "a Disney Park (r) of Disney's choosing".
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X