Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    This from the OC Register.

    A 'human directional' gets $10 an hour to twirl advertising placards on a street corner.

    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1260635.php

    And they wonder why no one shows up at the job fairs.

  • #2
    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    That's just sad. You'd think Disney HR would have gotten a clue by now.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

      Lets make a thread about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

        You know all the Park has to do is hire one of those sign guys to stand at at Ball Rd. and Cast Place for the next job fair.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

          I've seen those sign holders around here (Pittsburg) and they lean the sign on a light pole and sit in a lounge chair with a bunch of friends.
          Bet whoever hired them would have liked to see a picture of that.
          Gawrsh !!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

            hey, there was a guy holding a sign here yeaterday :lol: wow 10>00 sounds liek a good job to me!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

              There are tons of new houses coming up in the San Bernadino County off the 15 freeway. I see those people with signs on EVERY corner off the freeway!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                I've done this before. Bring your iPod, lunch and a chair and start flipping that sign baby! 100 bucks a day for me. once a weekend.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                  Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

                  You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.

                  Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                    How much does a CM get paid anyways? Are there benefits?

                    The article stated this guy works two days, 5 hours a day, for $10 an hour, in the hot weather, car fumes, etc. I KNOW I can't survive on $100 a week minus taxes.
                    "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                      Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                      Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

                      You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.
                      *sigh* I hate reading this...nothing against Morrigoon, because all you wrote is true. Especially since I'm waiting to hear on a legal office job in Disneyland park offices.
                      Last edited by clara; 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                        Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                        Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

                        You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.
                        True. But that shouldn't be the kind of CM candidates that DL should be looking to hire.
                        College students at Chapman, Fullerton, Irvine, etc. If there a real off-season, then they could work fewer hours during the week and more on weekends, and more on holidays. Sadly, off-season requires more than a skeleton crew. If only that could be changed....

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                          Originally posted by sediment View Post
                          True. But that shouldn't be the kind of CM candidates that DL should be looking to hire.
                          College students at Chapman, Fullerton, Irvine, etc. If there a real off-season, then they could work fewer hours during the week and more on weekends, and more on holidays. Sadly, off-season requires more than a skeleton crew. If only that could be changed....
                          But they can't hire college students if they're so drastically understaffed that they refuse to work with the students' schedules, which is apparently the case these days. They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.

                          Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                            Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                            They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.
                            I really think that's the key. But unless there is a drastic paradigm shift in TDA/WDC thinking, it'll never happen.

                            Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                            Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

                            Originally posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
                            Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

                              Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                              But they can't hire college students if they're so drastically understaffed that they refuse to work with the students' schedules, which is apparently the case these days. They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.
                              And I'm stating that the core required is too large. When an average of 40000 guests (14.5 mil divided by 365) visit every day, that means there aren't a lot of 20000-guest days. Add to this a DCA core, as well as a new hotel and DTD all competing for employees (as well as the rest of growing OC), and it means that the core is too large. Add to this the watered down revenue coming in through the gates, yet the guests still expecting Disney-level experiences, and it's a recipe for disaster. Yes, Disney's minimum wage needs to be increased for the year-round CM, but I'd rather see that core be smaller, so it is less diificult to fill those positions. I know of a way, but it's way too controversial to bring up every time.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X