This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When were Disneylands Better Years?

During which time period do you think Disneyland was at its peak?

From 1955 to 1969?
    From 1970 to 1989?
    From 1990 to 2006?

For me personally, I think Disneyland was at its peak from 1990 to today. Of course I have never visited Disney land anytime before the 90's, so that is my reason.

Re: When were Disneylands Better Years?

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    During which time period do you think Disneyland was at its peak?

From 1955 to 1969?
    From 1970 to 1989?
    From 1990 to 2006?
    I can't choose, I think they all had great things that opened in each period.

1955-69: You have rides like the matterhorn, the subs, pirates and the haunted mansion
    1970-89: Big thunder, space mountain, splash mountain, and star tours.
    1990-2006: Fantasmic!, toontown, Indy, and DCA/DTD.

Not making complete lists here, just some of my favorite highlights.

Comment

To me, the late 80's and early 90's were the best years of Disneyland. Tomorrowland was in it's prime, Pressler hadn't gotten his meaty paws on merchandise and maintenance, NOS shops were still unique and quaint.

Ah, those were the days.

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
      Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

id's say late 80's early 90's as well because thats the disney of my brother and my childhoods...i know it's not a choice but it should be, lol

Comment

The AP era.
          sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

When there WAS a Tomorrowland and when it gave us hope for Tomorrow.

Generally, Disneyland is wonderful....but I'd say 1997 and before - because of Tomorrowland.

See a trend here?

Comment

The era of Captain Hook's ship and the sky-buckets.

Sorry if I am getting the official ride names wrong, but I hope you get my drift...
              How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?
              :monkey: :monkey:

Comment

Early/Mid-80s to Mid-90s...

Comment

I'd say the place peaked in 1980 or so. Once they eliminated the A - E tickets things started down hill in my book.

Most attractions(with only a couple of exceptions) at this point could be experienced by all family members unlike now where we have nearly half of all attractions with height restrictions in one direction or the other and even those who are the right height can't ride some attractions due to other factors.

Lines were more manageable due to the way the ticket system dispersed and encoureged crowds to experiecne the so called lesser attractions.

More sit down eateries and less odv made the pathways less crowded and less littered with food wrappers.

The Main St. Electrical Parade was still pretty new and totally amazing(and it was ON Main St.)

You still had some of the most wonderfull little attractions that by themselves would never be considered great but they added immeasurably to the overall atmosphere and magic. Attractions such as:

SLEEPING BEAUTY WALKTHRU(A)

MOTOR BOAT CRUISE(B)

FANTASYLAND THEATER(B)

FANTASYLAND AUTOPIA(C)

MIKE FINK KEEL BOATS(C)

ADVENTURE THRU INNERSPACE(C)*

MISSION TO MARS(C)

PEOPLEMOVER(D)

ROCKET JETS(D)

SKYWAY(D)

FORT WILDERNESS(D)*

AMERICA SINGS(D)*

COUNTRY BEAR JAMBOREE(E)

PEPSI COLA GOLDEN HORSESHOE REVUE(FREE)*

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL AND BELL SYSTEM PHONE BOOTHS(FREE)*

*admitedly the starred attractions above were replaced by one thing or another but in most cases the replacements were no where near as magical as the originals.

The park still closed a couple of days a week durring the off season(back when there was an off season) easing some of the strain on the Park and allowing upkeep to be done with less distrubance to guests.

------I was younger and more easily impressed by things back then too
                  Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

In regards to DISNEYLAND not DISNEYLAND RESORT: Late 80s to mid 90s. You can see why in my youtube

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                    -Jurassic Park

Comment

Originally posted by sleepyjeff View Post
                      I'd say the place peaked in 1980 or so....

The park still closed a couple of days a week durring the off season(back when there was an off season) easing some of the strain on the Park and allowing upkeep to be done with less distrubance to guests.
                      I concur. And it's not just because of that fact that this was the period that I worked in the park. There were more things to do (within DL itself at least), and there wasn't any single land that I would basically avoid completely such as the well-documented current Tomorrowland.

That's not to say that it's not still a great place...obviously it is.

The park had a major "down time" in the early to mid 70's, but with opening of Space and BTMRR and all the other reasons mentioned, I'd have to say late 70's-mid-80's as DL's best overall period.

--Barry

PS...There were more shops, it seems...at least, the shops were a lot more unique than they are now.
                      God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Now is the time, now is the best time... :whistling

Comment

1989-1991 was a great er: Splash was brand new, Tomorrowland hadn't been "Montana'ed," and the 35th celebration had a wonderful parade (Party Gras) that I still find superior to POD or POS.

Comment

I pick 1990 to 2001.

Comment

I liked the 80's in a retro/punk/new wave kind of way. I must admit, it's been going down hill since the day I bought my 1st AP 5 years ago. You can blame it on me, I drag the place down. Heck, I may be the sole reason for DCA's problems.

Comment

Although I'll admit I'm very biased (it was the year of my very first trip to Disneyland), I think 1985 was probably the highlight year for the park. Not only was it my favorite of all the different anniversary celebrations (who can forget the "Gift Giver Extraordinare"?), but it's got a nice little niche in the development of the park, as well. It's post-1983, so it was after the major Fantasyland overhaul that was a huge improvement to the area, but it's also pre-1986, which is when Adventure Through Inner Space was stripped to begin construction for Star Tours - which, although I do love Star Tours, always seemed to me like the opening death knell for many of the "older" attractions that fell by the wayside in the following decade. Plenty of the smaller, older "atmospheric" rides were still around, like the Skyway and the Motor Boat Cruise, but you also had the very beginnings of the more "modern" era rides, with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain already having arrived several years earlier.

Comment

Wow, for me the bleakest time in the park was the 90's thru 2004.
                                  The 60's were fantastic, it was the most exciting times of my young life to visit Disneyland!
                                  the 70's were great! Lot's of Stars on stage, great fun for teens.
                                  The 80's were great when Eisner stepped in and rescued the park, and made it better.
                                  Then came the 90's, The decade of decay, when television power was the only thing Eisner was into, oh yeah, there was professional sport teams as well. Whatever, they sure were not interested in taking care of the park.
                                  It took death and injury to get things to start happening, but I have always thought "thank God for the 50th" because I really think it was the anniversary that inspired the great new upkeep.
                                  Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Comment

I will have to say that the era I loved Disneyland the best was between 1980 and 1996 while the beloved Main Street Electrical Parade was still lighting up Disneyland. My first trip to Disneyland was in 1981 and I experienced (briefly) the use of ticket books which I find interesting, since I was only four at the time and that I saw Adventure thru Inner Space, America Sings, the original Country Bear Jamboree and the old school Fantasyland. Basically, this time frame is Disneyland at its best with the Skyway and PeopleMover in operation, the guidebooks presented by Polaroid and Kodak, the two day/two night parade summer days and the large cast of Disney Characters roaming the entire park. I miss these goold old days of the park and its huge parking lot (now DCA). And let's not forget the promotions each year like Circus Fantasy, Blast to the Past, State Fair Days and the 30th, 35th and the 40th Anniversaries of Disneyland. Ah, those were the days!
                                    Last edited by Ex-SmallWorld CM; 09-08-2006, 03:48 PM. Reason: Additional Content

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM View Post
                                      ...the guidebooks presented by Polaroid and Kodak...
                                      Agreed - boy do I miss those old guidebooks! The "Disneyland Today" maps that they've had for the last decade aren't nearly as cool as the old 80's guidebooks - I used to look over those for HOURS when I was a kid!

Comment

I would have given anything to go as a kid, so for me the 70s

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                                        Tassie, I found a quote for ya :lol:!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
                                        Originally Posted by MWalton
                                        :lol: Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!? :lol:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X