This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd Control Issues

I am a little late to post this but I didn't read it anywhere else. The Monday Disneyland started "off season" hours I was in the park and witnessed a crowd control breakdown first hand.

People were sitting and waiting for Remember in the street and such as usual (I saw it twice from my bench right in front of the castle that trip already). I went to head over to Indy using the walkway in front of the castle, you know the one they moved there awhile back? Only problem was IT WAS NOT THERE!!!! Apparently, they lost a load of castmembers to school and they did not have enough people to man the walkway, so they decided to just not put it up. So there I am with my cane and two kids and we are stuck in a crowd of people all angry because people keep walking over them. I said sorry and told them there is usually a walkway here. Had to turn around go half way down mainstreet then turn back and work my way over.

Seems to me there should've been some better planning. I mean there were no signs saying where one should walk if trying to get to the opposite side of the park and it was a huge cluster !! Disneyland used to be the leader in crowd control and it has been steadily declining over the years. Nobody is ever around to keep people out of the planters and off the railings around the hub during parades and shows like there used to be and several other suttle changes for the worse as well. But this just put me over the edge! Sorry had to rant, but come on don't you think they could do a little better?:rant: :rant:

Re: Crowd Control Issues

There were no fireworks this past Monday - they were cancelled. Were you trying to get around post fireworks? The park was only open until 10pm.

Comment

No i meant the Monday the "offseason" hours started (28 Aug). Thats why I said I was late on posting it (but I just signed up here). I don't know for sure but it would seem like there will be the same problem on any day now, when fireworks are scheduled. At least according to the very polite, yet maybe not most well trained castmember that I spoke to. He said that they jsut don't have the people now to man the walkway.

No I was trying to get around the crowd prior to the fireworks. Remember the signs that are usually up telling people where the walkway was? It was not there either. I only walked that way because I have become very used to it being there as the only way to get to the opposite side of the park that you are on. (even though I liked it better when the walkway was through the hub and not right in fron of the castle).

Comment

It seems to me you feel Disneyland should keep doing things exactly like you've grown accustom to in the last 18 months. But the place is a private business and can change it's operation at any time it wants.

Your disapointment only seems to stem from your sense of familiarity with a previous operation. They changed the operation on you, and you had to change your operation in response. Earlier this year my local supermarket stopped carrying the kind of Campbells soup I really like, and I had to go find it at another store in response. It's just how things work.

Comment

I can tell you that no theme park operates in the off season exactly the same that they do during the heavy summer months. There are many reasons why, but it just doesn't make sense to carry such a heavy staff load when the total attendance numbers aren't there.

Comment

Like I said just ranting. Although it would seem that having some sort of crowd control system in place would be a good idea. I was not the only person looking for a way to the other side of the park. I wound up leading at least 8-10 other people halfway down mainstreet then crossing over so that they could get the other side of the park. They were very thankful that I showed there where to go because they said otherwise they would've been stuck getting yelled out not knowing where to go.

Yes I understand that Disney is a buisness and can do what they want, we all know that (see raising ticket prices multiple times in a year). I am not saying that they should do it the same way, just have someway to let people know where to go to get to the other side of the park if they want.

Im sorry if I was too blunt, that was not the intention I just got going and could not stop.

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post
              It seems to me you feel Disneyland should keep doing things exactly like you've grown accustom to in the last 18 months. But the place is a private business and can change it's operation at any time it wants.
              Uhh.. no, he's complaining he can't walk through the park! A situation normally improved by specific park personal.. which is still needed.

Your disapointment only seems to stem from your sense of familiarity with a previous operation. They changed the operation on you, and you had to change your operation in response.
              Translation: 'the park environment sucks.. get used to it or find a new park' - Great attitude!
              Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
              Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
              Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

tho I am amazed by the # of people WDW dedicates to crowd control (the army of flashlights). It wasn't like that years ago. This last trip there were people like every 15-20ft! :o

Pretty inefficent.. suprised they haven't dreamt up better ways. Its these types innovations in park operation that used to make Disney so unique.
                Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post

Your disapointment only seems to stem from your sense of familiarity with a previous operation. They changed the operation on you, and you had to change your operation in response. Earlier this year my local supermarket stopped carrying the kind of Campbells soup I really like, and I had to go find it at another store in response. It's just how things work.
                  Have you been to Disneyland since Remember started and tried to cross the hub before the show? I can't believe this response: this isn't a customer preference, or a change in operation, it's a LACK of operation. You may as well say 'well, yes, I know the lack of security people led to your being beaten savagely by a roving gang of thugs, but you just have to understand that's a change in the park operation and have to adjust'.

This is a -safety issue-. God forbid there is ever a fire, a terrorist attack, or even a medical emergency somewhere near the hub during this setup, due to how they have the park literally cut in half due to Remember's requirements. It was a nightmare -with- crowd control. If they have too few CM's to staff crowd control, then the only safe and pro-guest response is to CANCEL the fireworks that night. I can't even believe that Disney's rabid lawyers allow this to happen, I can only believe they never visit the park after business hours.
                  Mr. Dark
                  Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                    I can tell you that no theme park operates in the off season exactly the same that they do during the heavy summer months. There are many reasons why, but it just doesn't make sense to carry such a heavy staff load when the total attendance numbers aren't there.
                    That argument doesn't work. If there are enough people watching the fireworks to mandate crowd control to keep traffic moving from one side of the park to the other, then it doesn't matter if there are 10k people in the park that day or 65k. Their responsibility remains the same, and to operate without proper crowd control is a major safety issue on top of being terrible customer service and VERY bad show.
                    Mr. Dark
                    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                      Uhh.. no, he's complaining he can't walk through the park! A situation normally improved by specific park personal.. which is still needed.
                      I agree. I remember facing a similar problem months ago when the parade was happening. I was trapped in Tomorrowland until it ended.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X