Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you pay $1 more if it went to the CMs?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you pay $1 more if it went to the CMs?

A few of you have touched on something that I feel is probably the most important element of the discussion.

Disneyland CMs are unionized. It is their union's job to negotiate wages. The CMs pay a portion of their hard-earned wages in union dues to get this representation. If CMs are underpaid, don't start tossing bricks at Disney. Call up the union and ask them why they accepted a contract with such crappy pay!

Disney doesn't just pay the CMs what they want to. They pay them the wage that was negotiated by the union representative. (...unless The Disney Cast Member Union operates differently that every other labor union in the country.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
      That sounds a little cold hearted. A person working full time, even in DL, should be able to live on their wages. Not to mention the fact that DL is in one of the most expensive places in the country.
      Cold hearted or realistic? Sometimes we have a hard time dealing with those two...

Disneyland is one of the most expensive places in the county? Not really. It costs about the same as any other theme park. (Southern California is a bad example, but you said country and not state).

I make no claim on what Disney spends money, but a LOT of it has to go into maintenance. There's a lot of things going on behind the scenes at DL, and a lot of of it requires a lot of money...

I don't understand how so many people are so adamant about entry level positions being paid living wages. Sure DL is a great place, but you know what? There are more things to consider than fun when looking for a job. No one is forced to work there, and I have no pity for anyone who chooses to work there. After all, they're not doing that much more than I am doing at Blockbuster.

Granted they have to put up with such frustrating elements as getting to the parking lot almost an hour early, a customer base with ridiculous levels of feelings of entitlement, and sometimes unreasonable scheduling, but what job doesn't have its cons? Once again, you do have a choice in where you want to work.

Watch my opinion switch in about a week after I start at Innoventions :lol: inch:

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
        A person working full time, even in DL, should be able to live on their wages.
        A little off-topic, but I disagree with this statement. First... live at what standard? Second... what do you do with entry-level workers who are still living with their parents? How do they get their first work experience? I'm not hiring them if I have to pay them a "living wage."
        "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
        -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Comment

I voted no. I think we all know that this money would never make it down to the people that could actually make use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by disneychrista View Post
            The problem with saying "disneyland" should pay their CM's more is that it is the Union's CBA dictat's what is paid to the CM's NOT DISNEY. The CM Union rep's should have faught more during the recent contract talks for higher wages if it was really that much of an issue.
            But do you honestly think that if Disney tried to pay their CM's more money the Union would go "Hold on, wait up there Disney... you can't give our members more money. That's breach of contract that is!" I mean really, what union worth its salt would ever say, let alone think, those words? It is up to Disney to pay more. It's up to the union to accept less.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Without further ado, I voted "yes".

And for those that brought the union into the equation, just remember that if Disney would have been fair to their work force in the beginning, there would have been no need for a union.
              sigpic

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Comment

Average gate admission revenue is too low. It needs to be increased, and not by increasing daily ticket prices.
                A day at Disneyland seems to be worth way more than most people here pay.

Comment

Originally posted by TacAlert View Post
                  An example would be nice please instead of a general statement.
                  Spoiler
                  The particular example I cited involved someone who was introduced into the company at the time that Disneyland was just starting to contend with the increased hiring demands of the 2001 expansion. Most everyone realized that she was quite clearly not Attractions material, except, evidently, the people who actually hired her and decided to cast her in the role of a Disneyland Railroad conductor.

I personally witnessed her making unbelievable mistakes such as deadheading a train to the roundhouse without throwing the switch between the main line and the spur. (Thankfully, the train whose operation she was conducting was the last of the evening, so no other train was on the main line at the time.)

The incident to which I referred happened at Frontierland Station, though.

The block signal between Main Street Station and New Orleans Square was malfunctioning, so Standard Operating Procedures requires that the conductor at Main Street, U.S.A. obtain radio clearance before departing the station.

Almost all 300 or so of the passengers on my train in New Orleans Square had been seated when I noticed another train approaching the curve that leads into the short tunnel from Adventureland. I started screaming into the radio to stop the train. And, the engineer in the following locomotive was able to do so before there was a collision. The two trains came within just a few feet of each other while endangering the lives of: myself; both crews; the passengers of both trains; and, the guests inside and adjacent to the station.

The unfortunate irony is that, by the time I left the company, the levels of attrition were so high at Disneyland that this woman was actually made a trainer for the D.R.R.

There are countless other examples. I'm sure we all remember seeing on the news one of the multi-million-dollar monorail trains dangling from the beam because of pilot error. But, what the general public is able to see is just a small glimpse of what actually happens at the resort far too often, anymore.

The deaths involving both the Sailing Ship Columbia and Big Thunder Mountain are attributable to the new standards Disney uses in hiring, as well. A business ultimately gets what it pays for. And, all the talk of intrinsic motivation by the I/O psychologists in Human Resources Development is intended more to support the delusions of Disney's nutty management rather than to provide them with realistic advice.

Dealing with the failure of D.C.A., lower earnings growth, and a tight labor market is, I'm sure, challenging, but the answer is not to lower standards. Disneyland is a differentiated-service business, so it can't sustain extensive cost-cutting of this sort without jeopardizing the future earnings potential of the division, as well as the rest of the company. Destroyed capital equipment, lawsuits and settlements, and hiring and training are not cheap, either, so the lower wages Disney pays now are really just one more example of the company being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
                  Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 09-12-2006, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X