This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dapper Dans lip-synching??

Just read this article in our local paper about a former Dapper Dan who had been in the quartet for 26 years and now lives in Calaveras County:

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/news/re...story_no=21289

It's a very interesting article about Doug Scott and what working in the park from 1967 to 1998 was like, including how good the pay used to be and how differently the park used to be run. But get this last bit he says:

"They fired the quartet last year and now they have four guys who lip synch," he said, shaking his head.

Dang! Well that's not only very sad, but indicative of how far the park has fallen...

Please go read the article, it's really good, and then leave your thoughts about Doug Scott, the Dapper Dans, how the park has changed, and the lip-synching issue...

Re: Dapper Dans lip-synching??

So after they fired the old guys, they now lip sync?!

Comment

uhh, I listened to the new Dans this week. I dont think they are lip syncing. (unless they have a speaker embeeded into their mouth.)

Comment

I have stood right in front of the new guys and they are singing notes out of their mouths so unless they have speakers in their bodies I have seen no Lip Synching....
        The earth is round.... or so i've found.

Comment

There was another thread about that here

No, they don't lip synch...they just don't sing as loud.

Ta Da!

Comment

I think it would be very difficult for singers to lip-synch with people less than five feet away from them.

I don't think we can discount the speakers-in-their-mouths theory.

Comment

Well Disney and their magic can make it so it looks and sounds like they are singing but really not. I hope they are really singing ro Walt would be pissed!

Comment

I think that "louder" would be more suspicious than "softer."

Comment

"They fired the quartet last year and now they have four guys who lip synch," he said, shaking his head.
                  Maybe the guy said this only because he was upset at losing his job perhaps?

Comment

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the feedback on this. Any other comments about the article?

Comment

Originally posted by anime_goddess View Post
                      Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the feedback on this. Any other comments about the article?

He sounds a bit bitter. But not totally surprising.

Ta Da!

Comment

Maybe Nillie Vanillie is making a comeback! :roll:
                        sigpicMinnietoo

Comment

Originally posted by anime_goddess View Post
                          My comments are in the other thread on this same article from a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36335

Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
                          Maybe the guy said this only because he was upset at losing his job perhaps?
                          Doug Scott retired from Disneyland many, many years ago. He is in no way one of the recent Dans that got layed-off! So he didn't lose his job as the result of the new Dans. My guess is that either he was misinformed, or misquoted.

Comment

Oh.

Comment

I'm guessing that the new guys didn't cost as much, maybe were more available, and such.
                              So, there likely was a solution that was not satisfactory to the old Dapper Dans, which, BTW, are not the original Dapper Dans.

You see, these guys were captured by the Dapper Dan's ship. They pleaded for their lives. "True love of the music," they cried. Well, the Dapper Dans made them their valets....

Comment

Originally posted by minnietoo View Post
                                Maybe Nillie Vanillie is making a comeback! :roll:
                                Girl you know it's true..ooh ooh ooh....

Comment

I hear they fired the old Dapper Dans and replaced them with AA figures. That would explain the lip sync problem.
                                  When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true, but because of distance, not for millions of years.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"

Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Comment

Originally posted by phruby View Post
                                    I hear they fired the old Dapper Dans and replaced them with AA figures. That would explain the lip sync problem.
                                    AA's? That's too expensive. CG and a blue screen. And please don these 3-D glasses...

Comment

Here's my take on this... (I just looked at Froggy's earlier thread, btw)

I think Doug Scott was referring to OTHER performers in the park who lip sync on a regular basis, i.e. the chorus of Aladdin, parade performers, etc, etc. There would be NO REASON for a barbershop quartet to lip sync given that Orange County is TEEMING with barbershoppers. (Westminster Barbershop Chorus practices right up the freeway.) There are simply too many GOOD barbershop singers in the immediate area to resort to fakery. One of the reasons you will never hear a performing quartet lip synch in the DLR is that the AUDIENCE is constantly walking right by them. Do that for about 5 minutes and you will hear "Mommy...why is that man pretending to sing?" The only way you can pull off lip syncing is to have the audience removed from the immediate area, i.e. the hyperion theater. In addition, an a cappella performance is a HUGE pain in the butt to try to lip sync to. You might be able to pull it off with ear pieces, click tracks, and the like, but it would be far easier to find 4 amazing entertainers who can sing in tune.

The Dapper Dans are live. Not memorex.

Comment

This brings up a philosophical question. Do AA's lip sync or sing? I mean because the voice is piped in, but then again they are robots who have no vocal chords.

my head is starting to hurt.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X