Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Why am I scared???

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Change In Me
    replied
    Re: Why am I scared???

The drop is really....well, weak in my opinion. But that's a good thing in some ways.

They really make the drop look "that much larger" by using the showbuilding's exterior as a trick to your eye.

Leave a comment:

• jiminysgurl
    replied

Originally posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    what? you are afraid? hon if you want me to go on it with you just let me know I will holdd your hand I will be going on the 7th and 8th. if your there and want me to go on with you just ask, I will be glad to hold you thru the drop
    ???:blink:

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The reason you lift a little is your wind resistance is greater than that of the log... the air hitting you as your drop slows you down just a little and the log continues down the hill. But because it is over so quickly you only get about an inch away.
    The wind resistance has little to do with lifting you.. because the wind resistance is pushing you backwards in your seat, not upwards. Your drag force is opposite your direction [which is 45 or 47 deg down (depending on WDW or DL)]. You have plenty of static friction on your seat to negate any upright vector of drag.

The reason you lift is simply because you are not directly attached to the log, so when the log drops, depending on how loosely you are sitting there, the log simply starts dropping before you do. By my math, assuming 0 inital velocity (simplification), 45 deg drop, 52 ft drop, and 40mph max velocity, the drop approx 3.6 seconds. Since you do have an initial velocity, the drop is slightly shorter.

The drop is nothing to be scared of. Want a scarey drop? Do the chute at Blizzard Beach.. where you do 65+mph on your back

Leave a comment:

• Zeus
    replied

I actually think the second drop in splash is scarier...its in the complete darkness, but thats just me...i'm not scared one bit, but just the fact if it is your first time than you dont know how long or steep that drop actually is..

Leave a comment:

• ghoofie
    replied

Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    About Splash Mtn. It's the most popular ride in DL and yet I'm afraid becouse of the drop! My 400th Post! Yay!
    Two things:

1) Is Splash REALLY the most popular ride ? I vote for Space.

2) As for 'scaryness'....my wife will not go on TOT but she goes on Splash.
    We always laugh at her because her head is always down. She says she's just keeping her hair from getting wet. We say she's scared. AND..if you close your eyes during the drop...it's SOOOOOOOOOO short.

Splash is cool.

Leave a comment:

• hollywood1939
    replied

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Consider yourself corrected - there are wheels on the bottom of the logs that you half-roll, half-surf on the water film down the drop. It would go down the drop just fine even if the water got turned off, just a bit slower.

--<< Bruce >>--
    You can see how that's done by looking over the water after the big splash. There is a cart next to the entrance of the canoes and you can see where the wheels are under a sort of track cause it ends right there. Hope that made sense.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by EagleWings View Post
    Because when you think about it the log is just flying down on the account of gravity and not attached to the track? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I was told..
    Consider yourself corrected - there are wheels on the bottom of the logs that you half-roll, half-surf on the water film down the drop. It would go down the drop just fine even if the water got turned off, just a bit slower.

And there are up-stop wheels and guide rollers on each corner of the log so it can't flip over or come out of the flume, and safety controls that make sure the landing zone is clear before your log starts down. They are as safe as modern technology can make them.

The only reason I don't go every trip is not the drop - it's the potential to-the-bone drenching that can happen at the bottom. Which is just fine by me :yea: but not too good on the PDA, Cellphone and Camera - and Laptop if I have it along. They don't take drenching too well...

Seems there is a distinct lack of short-term storage lockers in the Splash Mountain area like there are over at Grizzly River Rapids... ( :rant: Hey, Imagineering - Hint! :rant: )

And yet, Steven Spielberg has enough clout that he still gets the ride-ops to release the OTS restraints and let him out at the top of the final big drop on the Jurassic Park Ride at USH - figure out who the biggest chicken in the room is now...

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

About Splash Mtn. It's the most popular ride in DL and yet I'm afraid becouse of the drop! My 400th Post! Yay!
    Well.......sometimes the best way to overcome your fear is to just 'dive in'. I hate to 'get in the swimming pool' inch by inch......just drives me nuts......but if I just 'dive in' it's so much better and that initial shock is gone - then the next time it's easier and easier and easier.

Leave a comment:

• HeyBaloo
    replied

Keep us posted on your progress. My little brother was really scared of Space Mountain when we were kids, but I remember how stoked he was when he finally rode it and then his comment to us was, he wondered why he had waited so long. I guess in the larger life sense it all comes down to is facing your fears which all of us have to do at many points in our lives. My advice is to not magnify it, put your head down, relax and go right through it. Then when you come out the other side you can pat yourself on the back and get right back in line or not, but you will have a very important sense of self accomplishment, facing your fears.....and don't forget to smile for the camera on the way down. <click>
    Last edited by HeyBaloo; 09-25-2006, 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• mycroft16
    replied

From a physics standpoint... the most you will ever lift out of your seat is an inch or two. The drop is over in under 2 seconds, so you aren't going to get far from your log ever. The reason you lift a little is your wind resistance is greater than that of the log... the air hitting you as your drop slows you down just a little and the log continues down the hill. But because it is over so quickly you only get about an inch away.

The trick my parents used on me was to remind me that this was Disneyland... would they honestly allow people to ride on anything that wasn't completely safe in every way possible?

Leave a comment:

• Alestro Bakai
    replied

I guess it's time to add my 2 cents.

Personally, I love the drops in POTC. They're fun and 'refreshing'.

I really didn't like the drop in Splash Mountain. The acceleration is so high that it lifted me ever so slightly from my seat. I highly doubt I'll go on it again this decade.

Then again, as someone else said... the ride won't kill you and if you don't like it, you'll know exactly why.

Leave a comment:

• HDAlien
    replied

I'm afraid of heights, but I can handle (and love) Splash, what others have said is true, from the outside the drop looks *much* worse than it really is, it seems like the drop is over almost as soon as it started.

HDAlien

Leave a comment:

• nish221
    replied

Originally posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    I just go for the dark rde aspect of it...after that i jump out of the log before i get to the incline...theres an exit door right there! Just tell a CM and they can track you and than hold the door open for you just before the incline.
    But then you're missing the finale with all the animatronics from America Sings!!

Leave a comment:

• hollywood1939
    replied

Originally posted by frecky View Post
    How true, I love rollercoasters and always have, but wouldnt go on Snow White until I was 19. :blush:
    I love rollercoasters too, but since I was sooo scared of HM I didn't go on it until I was 15.

Leave a comment:

• ClubDisCM
    replied

I had a friend once that forced me to go on Splash..... yeah, we're not friends anymore.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

If you miss Splash Mountain, you'll regret it. It's one of the best shows at Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• mycroft16
    replied

Originally posted by frecky View Post
    How true, I love rollercoasters and always have, but wouldnt go on Snow White until I was 19. :blush:
    No joke! Snow White is still a creepy ride! (so not kidding... that part with the trees all moving... I still get the heebie-jeebies in there. Of course, I'm used to that now... but still. Nothing to be ashamed of, that's just really good story telling.

Leave a comment:

• frecky
    replied

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Not everyone likes every ride

Leave a comment:

• Brain Toad
    replied

I've never been a huge roller coaster person. It took a lot of convincing when I was younger to get me on the Matterhorn and I never enjoyed myself that much after going on it. But when my dad convinced me to go on BTMRR and Indy I really loved them and my last trip I did Space. But I didn't do Splash because of the drop. The worst thing about coasters for me is drops, I don't enjoy the feeling. I like twists and turns and all that, but the drops just get me. But I promised myself that my next trip I will also do Splash, thought I'm still uneasy about the drop, I want to see the danged inside and maybe I'll really love the drop, I don't know.

I won't do ToT or Maliboomer though, my dad won't even do those and he loves coasters. And I ain't doing them alone.

Leave a comment:

• mycroft16
    replied

Splash Mountain, highest drop:
    52.5 ft long, 47 degrees

Pirates drop:
    52 feet, 21 degrees

Splash is 6 inches longer and just over 2 times as steep. All this translates to is the drop being over sooner. Not to belittle your or anything because I didn't ride ANYthing at all until I was 16. I was a huge pansy about rides... and now I'll ride just about anything you put me in front of. I'd say give it a try and see how you like it. If you don't... never have to ride it again. If you do... you'll have found a new favorite ride. I will promise you this... the drop is not as steep as it looks. They pull a few subtle tricks to make it look much steeper. Draw on a piece of paper a 45 degree angle and you'll see that some streets are steeper than that. Get some good friends and give it a whirl. Do it when you can get on in a short time though so you don't have lots of time to think about it in line... and while your own it and in line... enjoy the story. Get yourself into it completely, that will also help. Sing along with the song. And if you decide you don't like it... that's cool to. Not everyone likes every ride

Leave a comment:

Working...
X