X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why am I scared???

Originally posted by frecky View Post
    How true, I love rollercoasters and always have, but wouldnt go on Snow White until I was 19. :blush:
    No joke! Snow White is still a creepy ride! (so not kidding... that part with the trees all moving... I still get the heebie-jeebies in there. Of course, I'm used to that now... but still. Nothing to be ashamed of, that's just really good story telling.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

If you miss Splash Mountain, you'll regret it. It's one of the best shows at Disneyland.

Comment

I had a friend once that forced me to go on Splash..... yeah, we're not friends anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by frecky View Post
          How true, I love rollercoasters and always have, but wouldnt go on Snow White until I was 19. :blush:
          I love rollercoasters too, but since I was sooo scared of HM I didn't go on it until I was 15.
          -Jack :geek:
          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
            I just go for the dark rde aspect of it...after that i jump out of the log before i get to the incline...theres an exit door right there! Just tell a CM and they can track you and than hold the door open for you just before the incline.
            But then you're missing the finale with all the animatronics from America Sings!!

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Jr. View Post
              About Splash Mtn. It's the most popular ride in DL and yet I'm afraid becouse of the drop! My 400th Post! Yay!
              I'm afraid of heights, but I can handle (and love) Splash, what others have said is true, from the outside the drop looks *much* worse than it really is, it seems like the drop is over almost as soon as it started.

HDAlien
              HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
              "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

I guess it's time to add my 2 cents.

Personally, I love the drops in POTC. They're fun and 'refreshing'.

I really didn't like the drop in Splash Mountain. The acceleration is so high that it lifted me ever so slightly from my seat. I highly doubt I'll go on it again this decade.

Then again, as someone else said... the ride won't kill you and if you don't like it, you'll know exactly why.

Comment

From a physics standpoint... the most you will ever lift out of your seat is an inch or two. The drop is over in under 2 seconds, so you aren't going to get far from your log ever. The reason you lift a little is your wind resistance is greater than that of the log... the air hitting you as your drop slows you down just a little and the log continues down the hill. But because it is over so quickly you only get about an inch away.

The trick my parents used on me was to remind me that this was Disneyland... would they honestly allow people to ride on anything that wasn't completely safe in every way possible?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress. My little brother was really scared of Space Mountain when we were kids, but I remember how stoked he was when he finally rode it and then his comment to us was, he wondered why he had waited so long. I guess in the larger life sense it all comes down to is facing your fears which all of us have to do at many points in our lives. My advice is to not magnify it, put your head down, relax and go right through it. Then when you come out the other side you can pat yourself on the back and get right back in line or not, but you will have a very important sense of self accomplishment, facing your fears.....and don't forget to smile for the camera on the way down. <click>
                    Last edited by HeyBaloo; 09-25-2006, 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
                    Hello everyone!

Comment

About Splash Mtn. It's the most popular ride in DL and yet I'm afraid becouse of the drop! My 400th Post! Yay!
                      Well.......sometimes the best way to overcome your fear is to just 'dive in'. I hate to 'get in the swimming pool' inch by inch......just drives me nuts......but if I just 'dive in' it's so much better and that initial shock is gone - then the next time it's easier and easier and easier.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWings View Post
                        Because when you think about it the log is just flying down on the account of gravity and not attached to the track? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I was told..
                        Consider yourself corrected - there are wheels on the bottom of the logs that you half-roll, half-surf on the water film down the drop. It would go down the drop just fine even if the water got turned off, just a bit slower.

And there are up-stop wheels and guide rollers on each corner of the log so it can't flip over or come out of the flume, and safety controls that make sure the landing zone is clear before your log starts down. They are as safe as modern technology can make them.

The only reason I don't go every trip is not the drop - it's the potential to-the-bone drenching that can happen at the bottom. Which is just fine by me :yea: but not too good on the PDA, Cellphone and Camera - and Laptop if I have it along. They don't take drenching too well...

Seems there is a distinct lack of short-term storage lockers in the Splash Mountain area like there are over at Grizzly River Rapids... ( :rant: Hey, Imagineering - Hint! :rant: )

And yet, Steven Spielberg has enough clout that he still gets the ride-ops to release the OTS restraints and let him out at the top of the final big drop on the Jurassic Park Ride at USH - figure out who the biggest chicken in the room is now...

--<< Bruce >>--
                        There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
                          Consider yourself corrected - there are wheels on the bottom of the logs that you half-roll, half-surf on the water film down the drop. It would go down the drop just fine even if the water got turned off, just a bit slower.

--<< Bruce >>--
                          You can see how that's done by looking over the water after the big splash. There is a cart next to the entrance of the canoes and you can see where the wheels are under a sort of track cause it ends right there. Hope that made sense.
                          -Jack :geek:
                          Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Two things:

1) Is Splash REALLY the most popular ride ? I vote for Space.

2) As for 'scaryness'....my wife will not go on TOT but she goes on Splash.
                            We always laugh at her because her head is always down. She says she's just keeping her hair from getting wet. We say she's scared. AND..if you close your eyes during the drop...it's SOOOOOOOOOO short.

Splash is cool.
                            Gawrsh !!

Comment

I actually think the second drop in splash is scarier...its in the complete darkness, but thats just me...i'm not scared one bit, but just the fact if it is your first time than you dont know how long or steep that drop actually is..

Comment

Originally posted by mycroft16 View Post
                                The reason you lift a little is your wind resistance is greater than that of the log... the air hitting you as your drop slows you down just a little and the log continues down the hill. But because it is over so quickly you only get about an inch away.
                                The wind resistance has little to do with lifting you.. because the wind resistance is pushing you backwards in your seat, not upwards. Your drag force is opposite your direction [which is 45 or 47 deg down (depending on WDW or DL)]. You have plenty of static friction on your seat to negate any upright vector of drag.

The reason you lift is simply because you are not directly attached to the log, so when the log drops, depending on how loosely you are sitting there, the log simply starts dropping before you do. By my math, assuming 0 inital velocity (simplification), 45 deg drop, 52 ft drop, and 40mph max velocity, the drop approx 3.6 seconds. Since you do have an initial velocity, the drop is slightly shorter.

The drop is nothing to be scared of. Want a scarey drop? Do the chute at Blizzard Beach.. where you do 65+mph on your back

Comment

Originally posted by hakuna makarla View Post
                                  what? you are afraid? hon if you want me to go on it with you just let me know I will holdd your hand I will be going on the 7th and 8th. if your there and want me to go on with you just ask, I will be glad to hold you thru the drop
                                  ???:blink:

Comment

The drop is really....well, weak in my opinion. But that's a good thing in some ways.

They really make the drop look "that much larger" by using the showbuilding's exterior as a trick to your eye.

Is this home?
                                    Am I here for a day or forever?
                                    Shut away
                                    From the world until who knows when
                                    Oh, but then
                                    As my life has been altered once
                                    It can change again
                                    Build higher walls around me
                                    Change ev'ry lock and key
                                    Nothing lasts, nothing holds
                                    All of me
                                    My heart's far, far away
                                    Home and free!

Comment

Take this advice from someone who has been in your place. I have an extremely sensitive stomach, and I'm a chicken when it comes to big drops. I promised myself that I would go on it and I did. It was raining that day and I was so nervous the text on my fastpass came off from my rubbing at it. In the line I talked to a nice looking family with kids behind me and asked if they had been on. They all said it was a blast, and with that support, I went on it alone (my mom hates drops). It was scary (I have to admit) but it is SO fun. It is worth it. Go on it and you'll be glad you did!
                                      The daydream princess

Comment

the drops is not that bad.... I used to be afraid of it.... but they have little handrails in the log, if you have to just hold on to those, also to help calm you down if you go on it, dont look down at the drop, look up at the sky or look towards ROA, I've learned that helps... but now I always look down and never hold on... but JP at universal studios is a different story, I can handle the drop but it always gets to me while going up the last lift...

Comment

I have great news! I tried it.......and..........

....the suspense must be killing you:lol: .........

:yea: I LOVED IT!!!!!!:yea:
                                          Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
                                          "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
                                          -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
                                          -August 2nd 2010

Comment

Working...
                                          X