This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innoventions and ASIMO

Today, we went into Innoventions and noticed the ASIMO theatre. I've heard about the robot, but never actually watched the show.

It was really neat. I highly recommend you see it (if you haven't seen it)next time you stop by Innoventions (even if its just to see the progress of the subs )

My question is, how much of the show is scripted? When I say scripted, I mean the robot itself. Not the silly lady that does the show. Does anyone know? There is NO WAY that robot has A.I. But I could be totally wrong. All I know is that I found the robot extremely entertaining and extremely freaky as well.
    kingdom hearts <3er

Re: Innoventions and ASIMO

This show came out like ages ago...

Comment

^ yeah, i know. every time i go in there however, i just go in and get out. i'm weird like that. this time, we actually took a look at this stuff (as oppsed to checking out the video games, etc).
      kingdom hearts <3er

Comment

It was the one 50th thing that went unadvertised.
        Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
        "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
        -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
        -August 2nd 2010

Comment

We've watched his/her show 3 or 4 times now. Always seems to be the same. It's interesting, but I doubt that we'll see it hit the showrooms anytime soon.

I had fun driving the Segways (sp) around in there. Too bad they were are recalled (not that I'd buy one anyway). Just glad that no one at DL got hurt by them.

Enjoy!

Comment

I was sad I went in and out the last time I was at inoventions. I had not been in there before and the party I was with did not want to look around, I am so glad I get a second chance in a few weeks!!

Comment

The robot is completely programed specifically for that show. Nothing is "live" about the robot or show in general. Even though it is programmed, it works exactly the way it is showed (if that makes any sense). it can I cant remember where I heard this but that is what i heard

Comment

ASIMO was one of those fun things I discovered by wandering about. We almost didn't go into Innoventions at all (which, yeah, is no great loss I guess), but being the completist that I am compelled me to go.

I must say I really enjoyed the show, even if for no other reason than it got me off my feet for 20 minutes or so. Plus, I dig gadgets and toys, so I really liked the whole talking/walking robot thing.

I only managed to get one happy snap in there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...202005/050.jpg

Just by the by, Hong Kong has a few pictures of ASIMO floating about, as Honda is a sponsor for the new Autopia attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by AbominableSnowman1 View Post
                  The robot is completely programed specifically for that show. Nothing is "live" about the robot or show in general. Even though it is programmed, it works exactly the way it is showed (if that makes any sense). it can I cant remember where I heard this but that is what i heard
                  While ASIMO is a mechanical marvel, AI still has a long way to go before ASIMO is anything more than an expensive toy.

Comment

I just want to go to inoventions!!! I loved going there, seeing all the stuff. yepo I am going to inoventions!

Comment

The robot has to be high advance...its DISNEY!

Comment

completely scripted. I've seen the show a few times and everytime the robot "goes Online" to check the weather report it has always been "partly cloudy" in Anaheim that day. Everything you see on the video screens and all of the audio that supposedly comes from the robot is all prerecorded. they have changed the voice of the robot audio since the original show so it does not sound so creepy anymore.

I'm not even sure if the real robot actually talks. anyone know?
                        Last edited by superphred; 09-25-2006, 10:34 AM. Reason: because I can't spell today

Comment

Anybody see Asimo and think.. Terminator?

Comment

I work with a gal that used to work Innoventions for a couple of years and I told her how creepy I thought ASIMO was and she reassured me that it's not AI at all. The robot is being remote controlled by someone behind the audience. It helped take the creepiness out of the whole show now that I knew it was just remote control.
                            sigpic

Comment

I saw this show yesterday for the very first time. The one other time I went into Innoventions in the evening, they were closed for the night. Yes, I thought of Terminator -- and I think it's the cheesy corporate presentation that wants to force a robot to be your family's best friend that made me think "if this robot ever thought to install gunports on itself, we're all done with".

The videophone style presentation also made me worry about who, exactly, was driving the kids home, if Mom was at work, and Dad was a stay at home house-husband, but I digress.

It didn't make me want one for my home, and it wasn't that funny, although it did creep me out a little.

Side note: I'd love to see a free standing animatronic dinosaur or other creature that runs up to a ride vehicle, unconnected by wires, like this robot, in a future attraction. That would blow the mind, I think!

Comment

Originally posted by EagleWings View Post
                                Anybody see Asimo and think.. Terminator?
                                everytime i watch it

speaking of which, i felt so bad for the "wife" the other day.

since all the "phone calls" are pre-recorded, the family is set, race-wise, as a predominatly caucasian family

the lady we had was of asian descent, im thinkin vietnamese with slightly darker skin

it was just weird seeing her interact with her "kids" one being a blue-eyed blonde and the other a redhead.

maybe eveyone in that family is adopted...
                                PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                                Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                                3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

I've seen Asimo once, and that was more than enough. There was nothing particularly exciting about it to me. I really expected more from robot technology. I left with a general feeling of: "meh".

Originally posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
                                  Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Comment

next time you're in there raise your hand durring the show and ask if you can ask asimo a question...see what they say.

Comment

The only thing remarkable about ASIMO is its ability to walk. This is no small feat. And yet all it can really do is walk slowly. It can't even run.

IMO AI has been a big bust. Not that some indirect advances haven't come as a result, but the the idea of a sentient machine may never come to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by fkurucz View Post
                                        The only thing remarkable about ASIMO is its ability to walk. This is no small feat. And yet all it can really do is walk slowly. It can't even run.

IMO AI has been a big bust. Not that some indirect advances haven't come as a result, but the the idea of a sentient machine may never come to fruition.
                                        Yes. I posted an article in the Skeptics Forum about this, but it is the opinion of even many in the field, that AI may never happen. Little progress has been made despite amazing advances and 100 years of trying.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X