• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• akfandisney
    replied
    Re: I found Monorail "Blue" today!

Originally posted by robsmustang View Post
    well went by the monorails today looks the same as last time i took pic's hopefully they will do something soon.
    thank for time look for us!:bow: :yea:

Leave a comment:

• robsmustang
    replied

well went by the monorails today looks the same as last time i took pic's hopefully they will do something soon.

Leave a comment:

• Vashsky666
    replied

Holy crap he's right! THAT IS DEFINATLY ORANGE!!! I can't beleive it made the long awaited trip for the refurb! Finally we'll be able to see the Monorails back on the track very soon... thanks for the posting robsmustang and Darkbeer, it's amazing to see the work being done!

Leave a comment:

• robsmustang
    replied

Darkbeer has the pic's posted here http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/2173668 thanks once again Darkbeer!

Leave a comment:

• robsmustang
    replied

[quote=akfandisney;1144047]thank you for your time giving us the monorail update.
    you said that the orange monorial is up there!

no problem! yes monorail orange looks to be here it is the one that looks like it is on a boat trailer. it is hard to see in the picture because it is covered by the tarp. but if you look with your own eyes in person it is definatly orange. i don't know if it is a new body or not hard to tell with the tarp i will go back for a closer inspection later when the snow stops

Leave a comment:

• figment1986
    replied

so thats why the monorails are claimed to reach 60 but never go 60 ever... governers put on after a wild ride.... lol

cannot wait to see photos of the current rehab of the monorail trains

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Originally posted by robsmustang View Post
    well you guys are in luck i got some new photo's today. i was hoping to get pictures of them covered in snow but no luck, as it didn't snow out there as it did at my house. but you are in for a treat it is hard to see in the picture because of the blue tarp but monorail orange has made an apperance up here aswell. so either mono blue is going back as orange or mono orange will be going back to dl. now you will just need to wait for darkbeer to post up my new pic's
    thank you for your time giving us the monorail update.
    you said that the orange monorial is up there!

Here at disneyland is slow in getting the load and unload ramps in and area for us to walk.
    Still dirt.

Leave a comment:

• Uzmati
    replied

Originally posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    Everything I've heard about it points to Monorail Orange being the victim monorail train here (and yes, it has gotten quite the inspection recently ), but it did return to service after a complete inspection and some minor repairs.

Also, I heard that the ride was done at FULL speed, from the hotel to Tomorrowland (which includes all the curvy bits around the Matterhorn and sub lagoon), where he stopped practically on a dime in the station (and was promptly removed by security).

Needless to say, this is all rumors I've heard on my part. Hopefully a former CM (preferably in monorails) could further enlighten us...
    Last time we kicked this subject around I asked about Carlton's Wild Ride and got these replies:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source :MiceChat
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by FormerDiz[/URL
    ]vbmenu_register("postmenu_755612", true);

Re: Monorails: New or Used?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AEGuy42
    Uzmati, the rumor about why Monorail Orange got scrapped is kind of funny. The rumor goes that a veteran monorail pilot was retiring/being fired, and he wanted to go out with a bang. Suppsoedly on his last trip, he told all of his pasengers this and told them to hold on for "[CM's name, I don't know what it was]'s Wild Ride!" And he took off at full speed, and never slowed down, even during all the curvy bits over Tomorrowland, except for a screeching halt at the station. Rumor goes that this joyride mortally wounded Monorail Orange, and it was taken out of service. Later, it was decided it would be cheaper to scrap it opposed to fixing it.

That's the rumor as to why Monorail Orange had to be taken out of service. How much of that is true or not is up to debate. I haven't seen any evidence to prove or disprove this.

It was Carlton's wild ride and no, in the early 90's, the monorails had no limits on speed.

Now they do, but way back then, the monorail pilot actually paid had to pay attention to how fast they were going in various parts of the park.

Inside the park (the twisty part) was supposed to be 15 miles per hour or less. Carlton managed to do 35 around the Matterhorn in Monorail Orange during his last day at the park.

He blew tires out and stressed the frame.

Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.
    [url="http://www.micechat.com/forums/member.php?u=968"]
    Originally posted by monorail1[/URL
    ] vbmenu_register("postmenu_755648", true);
    Clear for Dispatch

Re: Monorails: New or Used?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerDiz
    It was Carlton's wild ride and no, in the early 90's, the monorails had no limits on speed.

Now they do, but way back then, the monorail pilot actually paid had to pay attention to how fast they were going in various parts of the park.

Inside the park (the twisty part) was supposed to be 15 miles per hour or less. Carlton managed to do 35 around the Matterhorn in Monorail Orange during his last day at the park.

He blew tires out and stressed the frame.

Monorail Blue was the one that actually fell off the beam. Remind me to tell you about that one sometime.

Allow me!

Although I did not work there at the time, the Monorail shop guys showed me some pretty cool pictures of that little incident.

Like all mornings, the Monorails were being pulled out of the shop. Since the trains pull into the shop Forwards at the end of each normal operating day, the trains pull out of the shop Backwards. Now, the monorail beam has a track switch right by the parade gate at It's a Small World. This switch allows the train to pull into the shop as opposed to continuing on the main loop. Well on this particular morning, Monorail Blue was powered up and the the systems were checked. She was good to go. The only problem was that the track was never switched to connect to the main beam. In other words, THE BEAM ENDED AT A DROP! Needless to say, the driver did not realize what had happened until it was too late. The entire rear cabin fell off the beam. The cabin was at an angle with the nose cone touching the ground. Luckily, no one was injured but they did have to bring cranes in to take Blue off the beam.

Again I would not have believed it unless I saw the pictures! Priceless!

__________________________________________________ ______________

I'd love to see those pictures too.
    Last edited by Uzmati; 11-26-2006, 06:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Koutesu
    replied

Originally posted by Vashsky666 View Post
    this all looks totally awesome... on my last visit to DL, I was really dissapointed to see the monorails completely down (which I was expecting) and it's just not the same to be walking next to the Matterhorn without some huge "overhead-train" swinging by so it's nice to see someone's actually got some info and pics on it's refurb, thanks guys! It really made my day
    I know how you feel. The lonely, walled off monorail stations and empty beamways were a depressing sight. However, it's necessary. I can't wait to see the new trains.

Leave a comment:

• Vashsky666
    replied

this all looks totally awesome... on my last visit to DL, I was really dissapointed to see the monorails completely down (which I was expecting) and it's just not the same to be walking next to the Matterhorn without some huge "overhead-train" swinging by so it's nice to see someone's actually got some info and pics on it's refurb, thanks guys! It really made my day

Leave a comment:

• robsmustang
    replied

well you guys are in luck i got some new photo's today. i was hoping to get pictures of them covered in snow but no luck, as it didn't snow out there as it did at my house. but you are in for a treat it is hard to see in the picture because of the blue tarp but monorail orange has made an apperance up here aswell. so either mono blue is going back as orange or mono orange will be going back to dl. now you will just need to wait for darkbeer to post up my new pic's

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Originally posted by akfandisney View Post
    I think is time for a up-date?
    Gee, ya think? Hey Rob, grab your camera. You have a chore for the weekend...
    Originally posted by Nanaimobar View Post
    I KNEW I should have taken a photo of me in front of the monorail..."That's a Bombardier...that's my train"
    (reference is to a series of silly Bombardier commercials in Canada)
    You forgot the "eh!" at the end, eh? :thumbup:
    Originally posted by AEGuy42 View Post
    Everything I've heard about it points to Monorail Orange being the victim monorail train here (and yes, it has gotten quite the inspection recently ), but it did return to service after a complete inspection and some minor repairs.

Also, I heard that the ride was done at FULL speed, from the hotel to Tomorrowland (which includes all the curvy bits around the Matterhorn and sub lagoon), where he stopped practically on a dime in the station (and was promptly removed by security).

Needless to say, this is all rumors I've heard on my part. Hopefully a former CM (preferably in monorails) could further enlighten us...
    Yeah, "quite the inspection" as they were tearing it down to the bare chassis and reverse engineering the prints to plan out the restoration work.

One of these days, the truth will come out. Probably well after the Statute of Limitations has run it's course, because wherever Carlton is working now his employer <ahem> "might not take that kind of news in the proper light..."

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• AEGuy42
    replied
    Re: I found Monorail &quot;Blue&quot; today!

Originally posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    (Which train was used in "Carlton's Wild Ride"? {Short version of DL Folklore: his last day on the job before resigning, his last run, the PA spiel was "Welcome aboard the DL Monorail, sit down and hold on tight...", and he took that last trip around the beam practically wide open, as fast as he felt was safely possible - and of course opinions are going to differ greatly about what the 'maximum safe speed' is depending on who you ask... } That chassis might require some additional inspection and attention during the rebuild process.)

Leave a comment:

• Nanaimobar
    replied

I KNEW I should have taken a photo of me in front of the monorail..."That's a Bombardier...that's my train"
    (reference is to a series of silly Bombardier commercials in Canada)

Leave a comment:

• mousephreak23
    replied

Originally posted by akfandisney View Post
    ^^ quite possibly...haha

oh well they will do it eventually when they REALLY need too...

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Leave a comment:

• robsmustang
    replied

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
    So Rob, does anyone say anything to you about you "snooping" around with a camera?

Thanks for the pics.

nope not yet. i usually go on the weekend when nobody is there. i wish i could get past all that razer wire and take a closer look.

Leave a comment:

• mrfantasmic
    replied

Right... what was the preliminary online date for blue?

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Bergman
    replied

Let's see... It looks like they are stripping the trains down to the bare chassis, and rebuilding new cars on the old chassis - Again. That's the same treatment when they did the 1982-ish (IIRC) rebody and rebuild on the original batch of four 1966-67 Mark III train chassis.

That works just fine, it's like doing a "Frame-up restoration" on a classic car. You find and fix all the worn out and cracked items, beef up any spots that are rusty or starting to crack, and then do the same thing to the running gear. Then you put it all back together using fresh electrical and electronics cabling and air hoses for the brakes and doors, rebuild the brakes, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera....

(Which train was used in "Carlton's Wild Ride"? {Short version of DL Folklore: his last day on the job before resigning, his last run, the PA spiel was "Welcome aboard the DL Monorail, sit down and hold on tight...", and he took that last trip around the beam practically wide open, as fast as he felt was safely possible - and of course opinions are going to differ greatly about what the 'maximum safe speed' is depending on who you ask... } That chassis might require some additional inspection and attention during the rebuild process.)

If they built totally "brand new" trains for Disneyland they would have to duplicate all that handwork of the space-frame chassis all over again, which costs a lot. Building brand new bodies with re-engineered door mechanisms and other 2006 upgrades is going to cost plenty as it is.

Costs a bit extra in labor to do a restoration compared to just scrapping the old vehicle and buying new - but in this case it's worth it, because "5/8 scale" Monorails are not mass-produced at all so there IS no price advantage for New. Even the 'production' Full Size transit monorails (Bombardier) are so low production rate that they might as well be considered "hand built". They have the design all standardized and debugged, and all the production tooling built, but they make a batch of trains to fill an order and might not 'run the production line' again for several years.

Let's see:
    #1, #2 - Chassis partially stripped - All the control gear has been removed from the squared-off bays (notice all the brackets and bolt-holes) but still lots of wires and hoses.
    #3 - Closeup of where the suspension bits transfer the weight from the main body trusses. Note that the pieces bolt on for repair.
    #5 - Notice all the trusswork at the top that spreads the load out from the suspension to all the truss members. Triangles are very strong.
    #7 - Gee, lookit all those wires...
    #8 - Close-up of air receiver tanks, and emergency guide wheels or rollers if a load/drive tire goes flat.
    #10 - Nosecone with a few more air receivers stripped out. They'll have to take all those 5-gallon steel tanks and have them inspected (all the big plugs on each end) and Hydrotested, or replaced.
    #14 - They haven't started on those train cars yet.

--<< Bruce >>--

Leave a comment:

• Darkbeer
    replied

Disneyland had 4 monorails in recent years.

Monorail Orange was sent to Glendale for dismantlement, the Engineers wanted to use it to redesign parts and other features.

Monorail Blue is the first Monorail to undergo the current conversion.

Monorail Red and Purple are in the Monorail barn at the park, and will be used for the "shuttle" (one way) service that is scheduled to start in mid-December.

Once Blue returns to the park, then either Red or Purple will get its refurb.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X