This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes the 50th so special?

I'm not being cynical, I'm posing an interesting observation. What makes the 50th soooo special?

Is it because Disneyland is already 50 years old, that it has survived and prospered this long and has led to offspring in three continents? :bow:

-or-
    Is it because Disneyland is only 50 years old, relatively young for an amusement park, and has already managed to survive, prosper, and spur the oncoming of its children around the world?

-or-

ADD YOUR INTERPRETATION HERE...

Disneyland is magic, pure and simple. The Golden anniversary of the park is sure to be an event people will remember for years. But what truely makes it so special and so dear in the hearts of MiceChatters everywhere?
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

I think it's a big deal because they (being disney folk) are making it a bid deal. If it was just another anniversary and they didn't make it special, nobody would be goin crazy about it.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Comment

Because nothing says "money making oppurtunity" like a Disneyland anniversary.

Comment

You guys are so cynical!

I think it's awesome that Disneyland has survived in 50 years and still be in relatively tip top shape. It still brings happiness and magic to kids and adults alike. People celebrate their wedding anniversaries (1,10,15,25,50); why not Disneyland? It's a magnicificent feat to see and I think it's worth celebrating.
        Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

Originally posted by Niyxstyx
          I'm not being cynical, I'm posing an interesting observation. What makes the 50th soooo special?

Is it because Disneyland is already 50 years old, that it has survived and prospered this long and has led to offspring in three continents? :bow:

-or-
          Is it because Disneyland is only 50 years old, relatively young for an amusement park, and has already managed to survive, prosper, and spur the oncoming of its children around the world?

-or-

ADD YOUR INTERPRETATION HERE...

Disneyland is magic, pure and simple. The Golden anniversary of the park is sure to be an event people will remember for years. But what truely makes it so special and so dear in the hearts of MiceChatters everywhere?
          How is 50 relatively young for an amusement park. One, it is freakin old for a park and two its a THEME park... THEME! Not to be a critical pain in the arse or anything. (Im just joking but I want to hear your response anyways)
          (insert funny comment here)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Remus
            How is 50 relatively young for an amusement park. One, it is freakin old for a park and two its a THEME park... THEME! Not to be a critical pain in the arse or anything. (Im just joking but I want to hear your response anyways)
            Disneyland is relatively young compared to other amusement parks in the world. Cedar Point in Ohio is over 100 years old, as is Kennywood in Pennsylvania. Coney Island has been popular since the 1800's. The 1920's were a big year for amusement parks and roller coasters. Knott's Berry Farm has been around before Disneyland. Lake Compounce, Riverside Park, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Rye Playland (the first completely planned amusement park), Luna Park in Australia, Hersheypark, Knoebels, the now defunct Excelsior Park in MN (some rides can still be found in various attractions in the Twin Cities), Blackpool Pleasure Beach, there are many others, I could make a more full list, but I think there are enough examples here.

The park that served as a basis for Disneyland, Tivoli, has even been around since the 1700's.

Yes, Disneyland is a theme park, but it wasn't envisioned that way. Walt Disney in many interviews and such refer to Disneyland as an "amusement enterprise". It only gained status as a theme park later. Even if you look at many theme parks built after Disneyland, most were only built ten to twenty years afterward. Even WDW opened only 16 years after DL. Really, DL is not that old. Valleyfair!, World's of Fun, Dorney Park, Six Flags over Texas, all were built within 20 years of the opening of Disneyland, and all can be considered "theme parks".

There you go, I'm not saying Disneyland isn't aged, but really, it's only just begun!
            In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

It's special because business hasn't been great the last few years and any big number like 50 means lots of cash, especially if you're in the gold paint business.

I think it actually is a generational landing point for boomers as it's when they will pass it on to grandkids. Nostalgia cash in.
              "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

Let me sum this up for you... You see, it's like the old cliche'," If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Disneyland 50th anniversary is like that to "The Faithful".
                If you need an explanation, you wouldn't understand.

You are dismissed.
                Charlie :wave:
                MiceChat User #1037

Comment

the 50th is special simply because it is a good time to sit back and reflect on how much Disney means to the people out here. Its a good time to celebrate a place that has kept alive innocence, hopes, and dreams. Yes 50 is young for an amusment park- but look at how many other ventures never reach that stage. Surviving 50 years is a HUGE deal. Thriving for 50 years- is even better.

And I'm sorry but I have to agree with Circarama's rather blunt statement- If you need an explanation- then you wouldn't understand. Its not for Jo Blo who could care less about Disney. Its for those of us who are fans, who love disney for what it is and for how we feel when there.

To me the 50th is a goodbye. Because I am leaving California and my second home (disneyland)... so to me the 50th is a celebration of all that I have taken from the park. Memories, life experience, and friends.

Comment

Disneyland is my home.

That's why. Plain and simple.

Comment

The 50th is so important because it reminds of just how great Walt was. His dream not only came true, but it's thriving 50 years later. Granted it has had it's ups and downs, but that only serves to make the gold trim shine with even more billiance. Disney has been inspiring people for over 50 years, and the parks serve as a way to pay tribute to that magic.

Comment

We're huge fans ourselves, but this hoopla over 5-5-5 just doesn't excite us as far as anniversary's go. Yeah, I know, it is just the kickoff, but to us, the real anniversary doesn't happen until July 17th. I understand they had to spread it out over 18 months to absorb the (hopeful) crowds, but this 5-5-5 hype just smells like money to us (and believe me, we spend plenty of that on our visits already). It's great that they did all of the improvements, we all know that they were overdue and it's nice that they brought out the big-guns for the celebration. We just hope that they can come up with something VERY special for the genuine anniversary.

Nothing negative meant here, just our personal feelings about the 5-5-5 thing.

HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY DISNEYLAND!

And thank you Walt for bringing us such joy and happiness to our family over the years.

Comment

It's a major milestone for a "first", like in 1978, when they observed Mickey's 50th birthday (and I think his 75th in 2003 presented some underutilized opportunities. That was his Diamond Jubille, right? The merchandise they could have sold!), or in 1987, when they had the Golden Anniversary of "Snow White". The stars of the first sound and feature cartoons, respectively. Disneyland was, of course, another famous "first".
                          On another note, look at what's happening in the world right now. We can use celebrations like this more than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by DznyVan
                            We're huge fans ourselves, but this hoopla over 5-5-5 just doesn't excite us as far as anniversary's go. Yeah, I know, it is just the kickoff, but to us, the real anniversary doesn't happen until July 17th. I understand they had to spread it out over 18 months to absorb the (hopeful) crowds, but this 5-5-5 hype just smells like money to us (and believe me, we spend plenty of that on our visits already). It's great that they did all of the improvements, we all know that they were overdue and it's nice that they brought out the big-guns for the celebration. We just hope that they can come up with something VERY special for the genuine anniversary.

Nothing negative meant here, just our personal feelings about the 5-5-5 thing.

HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY DISNEYLAND!

And thank you Walt for bringing us such joy and happiness to our family over the years.
                            HEAR, HEAR!!
                            Charlie :wave:
                            MiceChat User #1037

Comment

Originally posted by Niyxstyx
                              Disneyland is relatively young compared to other amusement parks in the world. Cedar Point in Ohio is over 100 years old, as is Kennywood in Pennsylvania. Coney Island has been popular since the 1800's. The 1920's were a big year for amusement parks and roller coasters. Knott's Berry Farm has been around before Disneyland. Lake Compounce, Riverside Park, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, Rye Playland (the first completely planned amusement park), Luna Park in Australia, Hersheypark, Knoebels, the now defunct Excelsior Park in MN (some rides can still be found in various attractions in the Twin Cities), Blackpool Pleasure Beach, there are many others, I could make a more full list, but I think there are enough examples here.

The park that served as a basis for Disneyland, Tivoli, has even been around since the 1700's.

Yes, Disneyland is a theme park, but it wasn't envisioned that way. Walt Disney in many interviews and such refer to Disneyland as an "amusement enterprise". It only gained status as a theme park later. Even if you look at many theme parks built after Disneyland, most were only built ten to twenty years afterward. Even WDW opened only 16 years after DL. Really, DL is not that old. Valleyfair!, World's of Fun, Dorney Park, Six Flags over Texas, all were built within 20 years of the opening of Disneyland, and all can be considered "theme parks".

There you go, I'm not saying Disneyland isn't aged, but really, it's only just begun!
                              It's hard to argue logically because you are using themeparks and amusement parks as equivalent things. Within 20 years is a generation removed. How Identical are you and your parents? Different times - different events, different things. Disneyland was the first "Theme"park in the US. The term Theme park wasn't in the lexicon at the time - it is now primarily because of Disneyland.

I mean really - Why did the US celebrate their Bicentennial? 200 years old is relatively new country wise. And there are already a lot of other countries out there anyway - nothing special eh wot?
                              Last edited by Sambo; 05-05-2005, 09:31 PM.

sigpic

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Comment

The 50th Anniversary of just about anything is usually celebrated. Marriages, people's birthdays, the 50th Anniversary of an historical event, whatever it may be. 50's a nice, round, even number, not a lot of things actually reach 50 years of age and still survive, let alone thrive....it's a momentous occasion.

Disneyland's had such an impact on American popular culture, however, and even world culture, that naturally Disneyland's 50th is going to be a big occasion.
                                My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Comment

Ya know.. how much excuse to we really need to party and go to disneyland anyway? *grin* when ya think about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stage
                                    Ya know.. how much excuse to we really need to party and go to disneyland anyway? *grin* when ya think about it?
                                    That's what I'm talking about!
                                    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Comment

Originally posted by Stage
                                      money is my excuse...or lack of.

Comment

when you think about it, there is no other theme park or amusement park in the world so recognized as disneyland. there is no other theme park that gives you the same immersion in fantasy as soon as you enter the gates. there is no other themepark that gives you the same feelings of warmth and community as disneyland does. disneyland has been doing that for 50 years. quite an achievement.
                                        Sig by Poisonedapples!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X