Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pinocchio's Journey - Strange Fit for a Theme Park?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinocchio's Journey - Strange Fit for a Theme Park?

Re: Pinocchio's Journey - Strange Fit for a Theme Park?

Not any stranger than the Evil Queen wanting to kill Snow White. I'm just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Olympicnut View Post
      Not any stranger than the Evil Queen wanting to kill Snow White. I'm just sayin'.
      I'm just saying too! (or is it also?)
      spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

Comment

nice post. Great string of facts and anologys. I agree, but I've never really broke it down to read it that way. It is as it was when the story was written... entertaining. Thumbs up for the fantasyland makeover.

Comment

Nice post indeed. I have often wondered how it 'fits' into the supposedly 'light' theme of Fantasyland.

Comment

It's just a slightly odd message - theme parks, bad. But hey, enjoy your time here! Actor's life, bad. But get a load of this parade, and then catch the Snow White show later on after you see Aladdin!

If hanging around actors and in theme parks is bad for your moral character, what are those kids doing in there!

Comment

Or how you end up in hell in Mr. Toad's.
              -Jack :geek:
              Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

I don't think Pinocchio is portraying theme parks in a negative light, rather the detrimental activities Pinocchio engages in while there, such as smoking, rough-housing, stealing, etc. The story aims to convince children to stay on the "straight and narrow": to stay in school, not smoke, yadda yadda. You can't have fun all the time, and it's important to take things in moderation. But I don't see that the film ever flat-out implies that theme parks or actors are all bad, rather that there are better lifestyle choices out there for little innocent children like Pinocchio.

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                  Now THAT is a very strange fit for a theme park, even if it is true to the book. Agreed.

Comment

^True. It's all true. And I've got the Jackass ears and tail to prove it.

Yes, it's an odd fit but I like it anyway.
                    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Comment

Originally posted by scorsese View Post
                      I don't think Pinocchio is portraying theme parks in a negative light, rather the detrimental activities Pinocchio engages in while there, such as smoking, rough-housing, stealing, etc. The story aims to convince children to stay on the "straight and narrow": to stay in school, not smoke, yadda yadda. You can't have fun all the time, and it's important to take things in moderation. But I don't see that the film ever flat-out implies that theme parks or actors are all bad, rather that there are better lifestyle choices out there for little innocent children like Pinocchio.
                      I totally agree. I don't think Pinocchio is trying to say theme parks or actors are bad. Instead of going to school as he was supposed to, he chose to to ignore what his "conscience" told him and went on to perform on stage. I think it's telling children to beware of who you trust, talk to someone you care about first before making a hard decision. Don't do drugs, stay in school. I mean, how were the kids supposed to know they were going to be turned into donkeys and killed? They didn't, but they were led to believe, from a stranger, that it would be ok for them to go. There's several morals to this story, but I don't think "Theme Park are Bad" or "An Actor's Life is Bad." I think it's "Know who your friends are" and "Be careful in choosing your friends"

Comment

I'm gonna bring this story back up with my 15 yr old.
                        We are planning on going to DLR in December but she will have to miss a couple of days of school to do it.
                        She'll just have to stay in school, or risk the whole ears and tail thing.

and none of those evil churros, frozen bananas, or mint julips

Comment

[quote=Mountain Fan;974311]I'm gonna bring this story back up with my 15 yr old.
                          We are planning on going to DLR in December but she will have to miss a couple of days of school to do it.
                          She'll just have to stay in school, or risk the whole ears and tail thing./quote]

)
                          Mark

Contribute to my Johari or start your own!!
                          http://kevan.org/johari?view=MarkS01

Comment

Actually the park in Pinocchio was more of a carnival or maybe even a circus or sideshow. The nature of these carnival/sideshows and the carnies that gave them their reputation as dangerous and dirty places prompted Walt to develop Disneyland, as a clean and safe place for the whole family. I don't feel the ride is a bad fit. It's just not much of a experience as with all the older style dark rides. Indiana Jones is a dark ride on a grand scale and I hope to see more of these especially in Fantasyland. It would give me a reason to hang out in FL.
                            Last edited by HeyBaloo; 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM. Reason: editing
                            Hello everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
                              Nice post indeed. I have often wondered how it 'fits' into the supposedly 'light' theme of Fantasyland.
                              I always thought Walt said Fantasyland was created primarly for guests to ride/experience their favorite Disney animated films.

We all know that back then the movies were a bit less politically correct and it was ok to make a joke or show something that today would be "terrible for children."
                              Kungaloosh!

Comment

Originally posted by hollywood1939 View Post
                                i was thinking the same thing! :lol:

interesting info, though i don't think i can ever look at the ride the same way!
                                :love: :ghug:

In serious need of a Disneyland trip
                                :captain: :ap: dMom

Check out my blog, Diary of a Disney Dork: http://diaryofadisneydork.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't you also get drunk on Mr. Toad's? I'm not bashing the ride, I love it and hope they don't ever take it out like they did in WDW.
                                  -Jack :geek:
                                  Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

Well, now that you bring it up...

In The Art of Walt Disney, Christopher Finch describes Pinocchio as Disney's best film, but also the one with the darkest vision. I agree with both statements.

Only in Pinocchio is the world left substantially untouched by the redemption of the main character. Pinocchio proves himself worthy and becomes a real boy, BUT...no other boys are saved in the process (Lampwick and company are utterly lost. Period. No rescue. They perish in their foolishness, and that's that.) The bad guys do not get punished. None of them. (Monstro is hurt or killed, but he's not really evil, just a dangerous force of nature.) The message is that it's a dark, dangerous world out there, and your only realistic hope is to save your own soul and perhaps the lives of your immediate friends and family, and THAT'S IT. You can't save the world; it's lost. Stromboli, Honest John, the Coachman--they continue to do what they do in some other town down the road, oblivious to and untouched by Pinocchio's salvation.

Constrast this with other fairy tales where the dark cloud lifts from all of nature when the Evil One is defeated, and his slaves and captives are freed from their bonds (Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Mickey and the Beanstalk, etc.).

So yeah, Pinocchio is one grim and gritty little cartoon, a dissident theological vision within the canon of Disney scriptures.

But powerful, powerful, unforgettable stuff.
                                    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

......... .....May April March!.....................

Comment

While I understand that Pinocchio may seem a strange fit, there are several reasons for it making to Disneyland.

1) Perhaps the strongest is the movie is the song of "When you wish upon a star." That song became a theme song of many of Walt Disney's projects, but particularly Disneyland. It was his most outrageous dream (up until EPCOT!). It departed completely from the movie business.

2) The style of the movie, with its European village style became the dominate style for all of Fantasyland in 1983. Although there were several newer animated features, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp, the Aristocats and Jungle Book, none of them seemed to fit the European theme that Peter Pan and Mr. Toad (both English) and Snow White.

3) Jiminy Cricket was a favorite Disney character through the 1950's and 1960's. He appeared in many Disney programs as a host. In 1983, it just seemed natural for a ride that featured a favorite Disney character would be built. Although Jiminy's popularity has waned, he still revived his host duties in Wishes and Remember.

Obviously from my name, I am biased in favor of Pinocchio's ride.

Comment

Almost all of the fairy tales that Disney produced in animated form have been around for centuries, and almost all of them were social commentaries on the day. These stories have been retold so many times over the years, that they continue to take on new meaning with each generation.

Given that the Disney empire would expand into theme parks some fifteen years after Disney produced the Pinocchio feature, it does seem a little amusing that it feature a specific place called Pleasure Island that was the source of the 'evil' in the piece. However, like all films with a social message, one can't take it literally. Pleasure Island is a metaphor for what happens to little boys easily led astray by vice and the wrong company.

It is still quite amusing to think of the ride in a theme park though, and it is an interesting point you raise. The distinction between Disneyland and the park in the film, I would imagine, is that there really aren't any dire consequences for visiting Disneyland. It is entirely set up to provide us with entertainment and deprive us (willingly) of our hard earned dollars.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X