This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Days: Will Sunday Be Busy?

Question for all you Gay Days involved folks.

I read the 'who's going' thread, and didn't see an answer, and didn't want to derail that thread with my question.

I know Saturday is 'Gay Day Disneyland' and Sunday is 'Gay Day DCA'. The question is, as I have no real experience with these events (unless I went to the parks during one year and didn't have any idea what all the red shirts were about) will Disneyland be particularly busy on Sunday? I can avoid DCA that day, I'm just wanting to know if anyone has any idea of the estimated draw the days have and what impact it'll have on park attendance.

And yes, before anyone gets the wrong idea, a crowded park is my ONLY concern. I would do the same for -any- special 'day' at the parks that I had no direct personal motivation to attend. In fact, we aren't even going to the park on Bat's Day next year. It was just way too crowded this year, so we're attending the pre-park events in the days before and skipping the park altogether. Bat's Day drew at least a couple extra thousand people to an already-busy day, and just really pushed it over the top.

The same thing goes here: we just don't want to bother driving down if this is expected to draw an extra 5000-10000 extra bodies to the park on what would be a relatively off-season Sunday. I assume someone here can fill those of us in who want to avoid an unusually large crowd. If it's onlye expected to be a couple of thousand extra or so, yeah, we'll be there as usual (although we tend to arrive WAY too late to take part in the hub meets...we don't wake UP till noon lately).
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

Re: Gay Days: Will Sunday Be Busy?

I've found that non-black out days for annual passes has a far greater effect on crowds than any of these events, with the possible exception of the national cheerleader day. Batsday happens to be on the first non-black out day after summer, and that alone will boost crowds.

As for noon meets, I don't wake up early enough to get to them myself.

Comment

Having never been there, I have no idea...but I can say this: in addition to Gay Days, the CHOC walk will be that morning and that happens to be a Sunday of a 3 day weekend so there could be more out of town people there just for the long weekend. The last time I went over Columbus weekend was when the MSELP was supposed to be going Lights Out. Of course, by the time of our trip, they had already announced they were extending it to the holiday season with a short down time from Columbus to Veterans day I think - but that whole weekend was CRAZY. Again, the draw of the holiday weekend was what got us there, but many others were there because they booked specifically for the MSELP events.

Not a lot of help am I? Oh well - maybe I'll see ya there as that is the first full day of our trip. We're even zipping over to DCA first thing Sunday AM to get fast passes for Screamin' since it is supposed to be down that week. Unless you read Mouse Planet which says it will be down next week. We'll see.
      I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you�d meet a kid,
      then 10 seconds later you�d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

Columbus Day Weekend is always very busy at Disneyland. It's been that way for years now. And this year Columbus Day Weekend falls kind of early in October and it also happens to be Gay Days.

It would be very busy just because of the big Holiday weekend, and Gay Days will just add a bit to an already very busy weekend.

Comment

This is a quote from their site. They have big sponsors and lots of events going on.

Years ago, Disneyland used to have a private party one night of the year for gays and lesbians. When the event was canceled in 1998, we created Gay Day Anaheim. We based the happening on our big sister event in Orlando, Gay Day, which attracts over 100,000 gays and lesbians from around the world each June.

Like the Orlando event, Gay Days Anaheim is a "mix in," meaning gay people and straight people mingle together; the park is open to the general public. Also like Orlando's Gay Day, we wear RED shirts to identify one another and show our numbers.

The first Gay Days Anaheim in 1998 attracted about 2,500 people. In 2005, we had about 30,000! Pretty amazing. What was once a small one-day gathering has become a full weekend event with parties, gatherings, group photos, scavenger hunts, private meals, and much more!

Remember, this event isn't sponsored by Disney (hence why it's "unofficial") so if you call Disneyland asking for information about Gay Day, they will tell you that this is not
          a Disney event.
          I was there one time during Gay Days. It was sort of packe back about 2000 - 2002 time frame. It is a weekend and will be packed probably. The worst thing about Gay Days is not the gays but the straight people who are rude to the Gays. When I was there some pin trades were doing Gay jokes, snide remarks about gay and got down right nasty. I would not take a kid to Gay Days not because of the Gays but because the trashy people who insult the Gays and mock them.

Since this is an "Open Event" Gay Days participants wanted to recognize other participants. This is why they wear red shirts. When I was there the park gave non-participants a free shirt if they had on a red shirt.

The Gays were very nice people and were not a bit of trouble but with the popularity of that event expect crowds.

Comment

Wait.. gay days are next weekend, right?
            Not this one?
            Good morning, son
            In twenty years from now
            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
            And I can tell you 'bout today
            And how I picked you up and everything changed
            It was pain
            Sunny days and rain
            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NeverNeverland View Post
              Wait.. gay days are next weekend, right?
              Not this one?
              I believe its the weekend of the 7th and 8th.
              "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by mechurchlady View Post
                This is a quote from their site. They have big sponsors and lots of events going on.

I was there one time during Gay Days. It was sort of packe back about 2000 - 2002 time frame. It is a weekend and will be packed probably. The worst thing about Gay Days is not the gays but the straight people who are rude to the Gays. When I was there some pin trades were doing Gay jokes, snide remarks about gay and got down right nasty. I would not take a kid to Gay Days not because of the Gays but because the trashy people who insult the Gays and mock them.

Since this is an "Open Event" Gay Days participants wanted to recognize other participants. This is why they wear red shirts. When I was there the park gave non-participants a free shirt if they had on a red shirt.

The Gays were very nice people and were not a bit of trouble but with the popularity of that event expect crowds.

boooooooo to narrow minded people!!!!!! :thumbdown:
                kingdom hearts <3er

Comment

Originally posted by Lore View Post
                  I've found that non-black out days for annual passes has a far greater effect on crowds than any of these events, with the possible exception of the national cheerleader day. Batsday happens to be on the first non-black out day after summer, and that alone will boost crowds.

As for noon meets, I don't wake up early enough to get to them myself.
                  Oh God, the cheerleaders. I forgot about them. Do we know when that weekend is? I want to avoid that one like the plague. In that case, not just because it's busy, but because who it's busy WITH. Ugh.
                  Mr. Dark

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post
                    Columbus Day Weekend is always very busy at Disneyland. It's been that way for years now. And this year Columbus Day Weekend falls kind of early in October and it also happens to be Gay Days.

It would be very busy just because of the big Holiday weekend, and Gay Days will just add a bit to an already very busy weekend.
                    I forgot it was Columbus Day! Thanks, that pretty much answers it for me. Special day + 3-day weekend = no park for us. We'll stay home and watch movies.
                    Mr. Dark

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Dark View Post
                      Oh God, the cheerleaders. I forgot about them. Do we know when that weekend is? I want to avoid that one like the plague. In that case, not just because it's busy, but because who it's busy WITH. Ugh.
                      I'm curious about that myself. Are these high school or college cheerleaders?

Comment

Originally posted by Melonballer View Post
                        I'm curious about that myself. Are these high school or college cheerleaders?

They are/were high school aged, and younger in some cases, as I recall cheerleader days was in the spring <sheesh!! major princess issues all over the place>......give me the gays anydays.
                        Hello everyone!

Comment

Nobody has mentioned the OTHER big event during Columbus Day

The CHOC walk to raise money for Children's Hospital in Orange County.

They expect over 12,000 folks to particpate in the walk (and is why Disneyland won't open until 10 AM that day). Most of the folks do go to Disneyland after the walk, so you will have the CHOC walkers at Disneyland, and the Gay Days folks at DCA, and then add the Holiday crowds... Be prepared for LARGE crowds everywhere on Sunday!
                          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                            Having never been there, I have no idea...but I can say this: in addition to Gay Days, the CHOC walk will be that morning and that happens to be a Sunday of a 3 day weekend so there could be more out of town people there just for the long weekend.
                            DB - I mentioned it!! Really!! No biggie though since the intent of the OP was to find out how busy it would be and I think the thread has shown regardless of WHO is in the park or why, that will be a busy weekend!!
                            I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you�d meet a kid,
                            then 10 seconds later you�d be playing like you were best friends?"

:love:

Comment

Originally posted by tinkermonkey View Post
                              DB - I mentioned it!! Really!! No biggie though since the intent of the OP was to find out how busy it would be and I think the thread has shown regardless of WHO is in the park or why, that will be a busy weekend!!
                              Sorry, I missed it.....

Comment

:ot:
                                ... well I'm not gay myself but I was planning on wearing a red shirt when I'm there Sunday to show support for my gay friends... is this acceptable??

Ok... back on track...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

Wife and I went to do CHOC walk a couple years ago and it was gay day - and yes it was busy.

Comment

so where is the choc walk folks walking? are they doing the walking in disneyland? and wow, guess with that many people I better stay close to the motel, and relax

Comment

CHOC Walk starts with check in at the Pinocchio Lot. Walkers then walk down the Tram Route to walk thru DCA and Disneyland and end at Downtown Disney near the ESPN Zone.

It should be done around 10 AM

Comment

crowds.... cove bar...... crowds...... cove bar..... yep looks like the cove for me to stay out of the sun and relax

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X