Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gee, I'm just happy they're not paving the lagoon over for a character meeting area.

Snow

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

Comment

I'm just glad to see that they're finally putting some real money back into Disneyland. All it needs is some TLC, and a new ride every once in a while.
      As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

Comment

Originally posted by ModHatter
        So, let me ask... are you likely to change your opinion of Space Mountain when it reopens? For me, one of the reasons I don't like it as much is because, at my height, squeezing my legs into a pretzel to get my knees under the safety bar really isn't fun, so unless they dramatically chaged the ride vehicles (which, from all reliable sources, hasn't happend), my enjoyment of Space Mountain won't improve much, and that's as practical as it gets.

Being a Disney fan, I consider myself a natural optimist. However, optimism is like a seed, needing nourishment to grow and thrive. Not only have the various sources not given out anything to nourish my enthusiasm, but Nemo has actually been a little black raincloud. Picture, if you will, the scene in Batman where the Joker comes along and splashes dayglo colors over the Old Masters, in an effort to "improve" the paintings. That is sort of how Nemo feels to me.

Prejudging is one way to spin it. Reason is another. And I can think of many wonderful things that were achieved with reason. One man's reason is another's folly. Heck, England still has a monarchy despite what America thinks is a pretty great system free of the monarchy. But, if you judge one man's reason as prejudging, well...

Meanwhile, I would say that the Nemo overlay is far from the Splash Imagineering process. I would consider it to be more like the Tarzan overlay, the Gummi Glen overlay, WDW's Stitch overlay, its Tiki Room UNM overlay. And even a bit like our HMH overlay, but done year-round, with the original classic never to shine in its own right again. And with what I consider far less original or interesting characters and situations. Unlike SotS, Nemo hasn't been drawing audiences to theaters for over 50 years. Nemo isn't getting an attraction built from the ground up in which to house its ride. And, on top of that, while SotS was a Disney film, Nemo is just a Disney presentation of a Pixar film.

My being optimistic about something that absolutely doesn't interest me and in fact insults me quite a bit... that doesn't seem particularly practical. But that's just my opinion.
        This isn't really worth arguing further, since it's clearly an issue of us having disparate opinions. I just hope it turns out well, and I do feel I have reason to believe it will.
        -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
        I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

I was thinking about the capacity issue on Subs. One of the complaints about Subs (among MANY) is that the capacity is low. Having driven one of those beasts many times I can agree with that. 1300 guests per hour was not uncommon on busy Summer days. However, that was the old show and a new one is coming.

We had to drive those boats very delibrately to match the recorded spiel. As a Sub Captain, you knew where your boat should be at the exact time to match what you were passing (which was hard at first in a dark featureless cavern).

At show speed you could make your way around the lagoon in about 12 minutes (this is from memory).

At deadhead speed (full speed with no guests), you could make it around the lagoon in 7.

If they update this new show and sound to be much quicker moving, I'm guessing they can bring capacity up from 1300 per hour to approximately 1900-2000.

On our best days at Space Mountain we were only getting 1800 per hour.

Comment

If they made the ride a faster-moving attraction, would it be safe? And would it actually present much of a show?
            See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
            78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by pyrateslife4me84
              This isn't really worth arguing further, since it's clearly an issue of us having disparate opinions. I just hope it turns out well, and I do feel I have reason to believe it will.
              Just as others have ample reason to believe it won't.

That's all I'm trying to say here. If people want to reserve judgment, fine, but when you say things like, "we are in no position to judge whether or not this will be a good ride," that's just as much a non-fact as the post you were responding to.
              See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
              78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Comment

It would be safe for sure. Those subs can move pretty well along the track when needed. As long as the water level is kept at the proper depth the guide wheel will keep things in place. If the water is too high, then there is a danger of the wheel coming up over the guide. It rarely happens. Water levels were checked daily.

As for the show, it just depends on how they lay the show elements out next to the track.

The person driving the boat used to have to pay attention to stay even with the spiel but like I said, with technology what it is, the sound system can be upgraded to send wireless signals to trigger the proper sound bite in the sub at the proper time.

Comment

They will likely shorten the ride a little bit, I think a 10-minute ride would be fine, and if they could further speed up loading by perhaps extending the loading platform so they can load more subs at once, they could easily increase capacity substantially. They could likely find ways to add seats onboard, too. I don't remember how the seating was set up, but they could have multiple rows if they set up some sort of stadium seating...or were they already packed full of people? It's been too many years...
                  -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
                  I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Comment

The seating was pretty slick. 20 people on each end of the boat, down the stairs, all the way to the end.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X