Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A.I.:What could be added for the future Halloweentimes?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A.I.:What could be added for the future Halloweentimes?

I love the Mickey's Halloween Treat at WDW. They had photographers all around the park and they would send you your picture for free. Not an email of the pic an acutal print. There was trick or treating all around the park. They had a parade and special fireworks. There were ghost stories on the Liberty Square Riverboat.

They really made the whole night great. I hope that the Mickey's Halloween Treat at DCA is similar. I am excited to find out. As far as the rest of the decorations I will withhold comment until I can get out there in about a week. I have really like what I have seen so far.
    Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

Comment

Maybe they could theme Frontierland (or part of it) to Dia de los Muertos (did I spell that right)? While I realize it's a holiday in it's own right, I love the skeletons!
      Oo-de-lally!

Comment

I like everyones ideas,

but I want them to do, is to not do the MNSSHP (or whatever) where you have to buy tickets to see the parade and the fireworks, they could od it lik TDL.

Comment

Would love to see a version of the Headless Horseman and Ichabod Crane. Only if it is in good taste and comfortable enough for a wide range audience.
          1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Comment

Witch trials? Villains parades? This isn't Knotts Scary Farm or some such. It is Disneylandd, and as such with the exception of a few places (Haunted Mansion IS a spook house after all) Halloween does not mesh well with the surroundings.
            What about having ALL the walkarounds dressed up for Halloween (in Disney sanitized Halloween costumes of course) walking the park pretending to be trick or treating. They will pose for a photo op, and guess what, Mickey has some little goody in his treat bag he is willing to share with you. awww...
            Personally with the Sleeping Beauty Castle as the focal point of the park, I think it would be great for it to have an overlay for every event. HMH show that the exterior overlay can basically be done overnight. Why not dress up the castle for Halloween too?

We all complain about being run over by mobs of strollers. But guess what, there are little kids in those armies of strollers. Disneyland still is a family destination, and that means little ones who are easily scared and such. Yeah, I know rides such as Indy are pretty intense, but warnings and height restrictions usually take care of such things. Look at the mess the Great Stitch Escape gave WDW, when you make something for little kids that is too intense. (and to a lesser degree, It's Tough to be a Bug)

Keep Disney Halloween silly and sanitized I say.
            The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Comment

Silly and sanitized is all fine. That is what Disney is, for families not just for teens or other people with a lust for gore or extreme thrills.

But I just think the whole Halloweentime is a little lackluster. I was discussing this with some of my crew.

I understand it's DL's first jaunt into Halloween in how many years? But they started advertising it like they REALLY did more than just decorate a few things around the park and put some tiny touches here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the decorations. I do get a little bit of the halloween feel and I like that.

I was just expecting a new fireworks show or something (at least one thing really different) on that level to actually make it worth the price to see DL during Halloweentime as opposed to any other time of the year and NBC overlay on Mansion doesn't count.

At least that is the route I would have taken if you're going to advertise it on tv and radio that is.

Just my thought.

Bye.

Comment

Halloweentime may be aimed at families, but my 23, 18 year old siblings, 15 year old siblings, and I (20) are still a family with our parents. Families doesn't JUST mean little kids. I wish Disney would remember that. Get it a litte edgy at night, but not Knott's overboard-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfantasmic View Post
                  Get it a litte edgy at night
                  I don't think that edgy is the way to go with Disney. It's not something that they do well. Look at the DCA... that was planned as "hip and edgy".
                  Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

I think that Halloweentime can definitely improve next year. A year from now, TDA won't have to worry about taking down all of the decorations from the 50th. I don't know how complicated it is to switch the fireworks show from one theme to another. Downtime for things at the park is one reason why I don't think there should be too many ride-overlays. Haunted Mansion is fine, though sometimes I wish I could ride the traditional one at Halloween, and the NBC one in December.
                    And I believe it's totally possible to keep things at Disneyland during Halloween creepy and fun. Disneyland already is fun for all ages. Halloween has become a holiday that is all about escaping the everyday reality, and so is Disneyland. We've seen photos about how great TDL can be for Halloween. While I realize that most of the budget will probably still go to the holiday season, I see nothing wrong with building Halloweentime up over the course of time.
                    Oo-de-lally!

Comment

i dont think i did all too good of a job explaining what i was trying to go for in all of my earlier ideas in this thread (theming each land to a different spooky idea that would work for the original land's theme, the witch trials, which btw i now think it might be fun to have the villians put the princes/princesses on trial "you are hereby convicted of being the fairest of them all" type of stuff)

so let me try again...

i personally see a very big difference between "spooky" and "scary"

"spooky" can have a bit of a darker tone, but is mainly done very tongue in cheeck, much like how the haunted mansion is. i dont think any of us doubt that the look of that house, the first few moments in the elevator, the walk to the doombuggies, the music, etc, give the ride a very spooky feel and give us a sense that this could end up being a "scary" ride, only to find out that the ghosts are having parties, dancing in graveyards, etc, and that there are numerous sight gags for us to find and we exit the ride with smiles on our faces, not looks of terror.

"scary" is the type of stuff we'll find at Knott's, stuff designed specifically to scare the bejeezus out of teens and adults, and totally un-necessary in a disney park

i've always wanted disney to go for the former approach in its halloween festivites, and thats what i was trying to convey in my earlier posts.

witch trials (whether feautring villians or heroes as the ones on trial) could be a very entertaining show, especially if they leave the execution/punishment kind of ideas out of it. there could be a lot of humor in it all, kinda like how the new pirate show in NOS is operating...

adding "spooky" decorations in the forms of cobwebs and idols (the little thing from the new ToT in tokyo) throughout adventureland could give the sense that the wilderness/jungle that you have entered have been taken over by evil spirits, only to find that your beloved jungle cruise still has the same levity as it always has

i hope that clarifies at least my intentions/hopes for any future DL celebrations
                      Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
                        well knowing how disney has been operating the last decade or so, anything remoted un-PC probably would be scratched, but the idea just came to me.....

what if they did witch trials of Disney witches? evil queen, malificent, heck even ursula (use fantasmic!'s water screen system for that one)...

"is it true you gave a one ms. snow white a red apple?"
                        and have a bunch of frontier villagers yelling and rabbling and whatnot....

"sentence is eternity as a hag, while THIS PRINCESS (points to any or all little girls in the audience) becomes the fairest of them all!!!" bring the girl on stage, give her a little cheap tiara or some candy or something like that...witch gets taken away in handcuffs

i dunno, i guess so long as they keep the hanging/burning/killing kinda stuff out of it, they might be able to pull it off? maybe??

but as i said earlier...im tired, ill probably wake up tomorrow and see that all of these ideas blow lol maybe ill have some better ones in the morning
                        Eek, no...that's kind of justifying the witch trials, isn't it? There was nothing just about them at all. So many innocent people were killed due to superstitious and ignorant fools. The Crucible is a good realistic representation fo what actually happened, particularly in Salem-a bunch of little screaming brats pointing fingers at people and calling them evil, then judges taking their word as an act of God and there being no hope for those accused. While waiting for death, conditions were incredibly brutal as well...malnutrition, insanity and so on. No, I would be very upset if Disney decided to utilize the old witch trials into their park and make it "Disneyfied". The Disney villians are actual villians-their death in the storyline at the end is not lamented. Historically...the accusers were the real villains.

Sorry, I'm an actress and studied up on the witch trials years ago...I'm a nerd like that

I do like your other ideas for the different lands, though.

I would like to see a special parade, show and fireworks for Halloweentime. I'm hoping next year that in the attic on Haunted Mansion Holiday they will utilize the new tech they created with the bride and throw Sally in there.

Comment

^ actually, the crucible was a parable, written as an attack against mccarthyism and just used the witch trials as a setting to get that message across.

but thats beside the point lol

as i said, it probably wouldnt happen for those PC concerns, which is a shame, cuz not only do i think it could be an entertaining show, but having scenes recreating some of these aweful points in human history present great opportunities for parents to actually teach their children something. we as a society have moved to a point where anything remotely offensive is kept out of our entertainment industry (let alone society as a whole) and kids only learn that things such as the witch trials, racism, etc are "bad", but they are never taught why they are bad.

how many kids today would realize that the witch trials were (primarily) an effort by religious fanatics to supress female voices and individuality? any female who voiced an opinion that was not spoon fed to them in advance was therefore deemed "different", therefore she obviously must have practiced magic, and thus logically she should be killed.

if parents took something such as a mock, disney-fied recreation of witch trials and used it to teach their children not only what happened, but how far we have come, they will be able to begin to form ideas and opinions of their own from a relatively young age, in a society where they are now allowed to do so and thus become better, more informed citizens as adults.

ok enough lecturing now lol, sorry for getting so off topic, but ive always thought that shying away from controversial issues doesnt help solve them

Comment

How aobut a REAL Seance in the haunted mansion.
                            Janette

Comment

Okay, thought of another one.
                              It wouldn't have flown this year (even if they had done it in time), because of the CA spinach scare. But they could theme an ODV cart (I know, it's a Disney geek sin to even think it), stick it in Fantasyland, and call it "Wicked Queen's Poisoned Hot Apple Cider". Only "Poisoned" could be crossed out and "Organic" could be written above it. And right near it, they could have a character meet & greet.
                              Oo-de-lally!

Comment

^thatd be really cool! its the little things like that that make the holidays so special at disneyland in the first place. the more holiday appropriate food and drink the better!!!

Comment

How about a villain scavenger hunt? Special icons that represent certain villains would be hidden throughout the park(s) and guests can get a clue sheet where to find the items. The icon would have a symbols that represents the villain like an apple or spinning wheel. A few of them would be hidden more and could be seen at night with special lighting.

Malificant's goons could invade the castle, which would be covered with giant inflatable thorns. The goons could also be hidden through out attractions in the park and you would have to find them all.

A Villain/Spooky parade and fireworks for sure.

New water based show at DCA lagoon.

A few adult only, scary areas at DCA.

Special new features/overlay at the Tower of Terror.

Special show at the Fantasyland theater that features black light/puppets.

Parents can purchase a special light up pendent that kids could use to ward of evil spirits while visiting the parks. The villains would know to react to it like they were scared.

Special night voyages of the jungle cruse featuring creepy ghost projections as well as villains from the Jungle Book and Lion King.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
                                    having villians dominate halloween time at DL would also be good testing grounds to see how the public would react to an all-villians themed land (or dare i say it? an entire theme park dedicated to them?)
                                    He said it, he said it!
                                    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

Comment

Originally posted by AliKzam View Post
                                      P.S. A.I. = Armchair Imagineering and not Artificial Intelligence
                                      Thanks. I was wondering what AI stood for.

Comment

"What could be added for the future Halloweentimes?"

A direct shuttle and free admission to "Knotts Halloween Haunt".
                                        2007 Photos:
                                        http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd345/Pisceslibra/Disneyland%20Christmas%202007/?start=all
                                        More 2007 Photos:
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/pisceslibra/sets/72157606706412381/
                                        2007 UPDATED Trip Report:
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/showthread.php/trip_report_photos_dec_2007-102026.html
                                        2006 Photos:
                                        http://pisces.smugmug.com/gallery/2307689/11/120769200#120769200_T5KyJ

Comment

Ok, aside from the fireworks and parade I mentioned, I hope they have decorations in the other lands as well and have meet-and-greets with Disney villains. And I know someone mentioned adding fog in ROA. Maybe finish the effect with a ghost ship? They can transform the Columbia!
                                          sigpic
                                          "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X