This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year's at Disneyland

We are thinking about heading down for 5 days around New Year's and I wanted to know what people thought. Is it totally crazy?
    I know sometime people talk about the gates closing (when at capacity) and not be readmitted to the park. Does this happen on New Years Eve?
    I assume the fireworks are bigger and better then normal is it true? Do people camp out all day in the hub for a good view at midnight?
    These are some of the question I have but please share your experiences!

This one time on Friends . . .:roll:

Re: New Year's at Disneyland

I've never been on, or near New Year's. From all I've read on the subject of DL on New Year eve, it's definitely crazy crowded. If you go, plan to stay in the park all day...

Comment

New Years is one of the busiest days at the resort. If Disneyland reaches capacity (and it usually does) they will stop letting people in and send them to California Adventure. Usually they will reopen the gates once some of the people who are not staying for midnight leave. In addition to an expanded fireworks show they also do a low altitude show at California Adventure. Both parks have special entertainment throughout the night.

Comment

Also... If you get a park hopper ticket and leave Disneyland to go over to California Adventure you may get locked out of Disneyland. So if you want to be in Disneyland for midnight do California Adventure early and then go over and stay inside Disneyland. Even though they usually will re-open the gates once some people leave, there is no guarrantee.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneylandPlanner View Post
          We are thinking about heading down for 5 days around New Year's and I wanted to know what people thought. Is it totally crazy?
          YES! But, we have done it for 8 or 9 years now. We will be coming down 12/23 and going home 1/3 (maybe!)

I know sometime people talk about the gates closing (when at capacity) and not be readmitted to the park. Does this happen on New Years Eve?
          Yes. But generally, they reopen about 6 or 7. Last year it poured. We left, went to the movies and came back without a problem. But there have also been years the gates were closed by 11 am. I don't know if they reopened as we stayed in the park.
          I assume the fireworks are bigger and better then normal is it true? Do people camp out all day in the hub for a good view at midnight?
          These are some of the question I have but please share your experiences!
          Yes, people camp out all day in the hub. I don't know if I would say they are bigger and better. Remember can't be beat. The fireworks at midnight are the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks from the early years at Disney. I love them myself. I have been known to enter the park, find my bench in the hub, and pretty much just people watch all day. My kids come and go during the day, but arrive for the evening and we stay there til the shows are over. I also like doing Fantasmic! on New Years Eve. But nothing beats the Beach Balls in the hub on NYE.
          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Thanks I have a couple of questions
            10-8atdisneyland what is the low altitude show?
            Malcon10t Is Fantasmic special for new years? What is this things with the beach balls?
            Is there any other different stuff that happens on New Years Eve?

Comment

i was there with my g/f at the time for new years 04 turning into 05, and it was amazing. the BEST time i've ever had there. we spent some time at dca, came over to the hub about 30-45 minutes before midnight, and watched the show. that being said, it was a rainy and cool weekend, so that may have kept some of the crowds down.

i'd love to go again with a future girl : /

Comment

All I can say is that if you go to Disneyland on New Years Eve, make sure you harness your entire party together with some sort of rope - otherwise you'll lose each other. It took us to get from outside of Coke Corner on Main Street to Adventureland, approximately 45 minutes New Years 2001/2002.

Maybe I'm getting old, but all that bodyheat and B.O...........just not fun.

Comment

The low altitude show at California Adventure is a smaller show than at Disneyland and the fireworks are not launched as high in order to minimize the fallout area. The fireworks are launched over Paradise Bay and they don't want any fallout in areas with guests. At Disneyland that is not a problem since they close certain areas to guests and there is a significant backstage area for fallout.

Comment

Originally posted by 10-8atDisneyland View Post
                    The low altitude show at California Adventure is a smaller show than at Disneyland and the fireworks are not launched as high in order to minimize the fallout area. The fireworks are launched over Paradise Bay and they don't want any fallout in areas with guests. At Disneyland that is not a problem since they close certain areas to guests and there is a significant backstage area for fallout.
                    Probably true.

Comment

Malcon10t Is Fantasmic special for new years? What is this things with the beach balls?
                      Is there any other different stuff that happens on New Years Eve?
                      Fantasmic! is the same show as every other night, but people are just in a more festive mood. They also do a show right after midnight. From maybe 10pm on, the hub is packed, as in absolutely no room. Then someone starts blowing up these beachballs, and they start going thru the crowds. Its just a fun time. Everyone gets into it. Except the one guy who will deflate a ball and get booed. Then it starts all over again. One year, I think there were 8-10 beachballs going at one time.

They pass out hats (and noisemakers that can absolutely be skipped!) My son usually makes a run and tries to get a hat from each of the various lands. If I am not mistaken though, last year there was just one central handout area.
                      If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

yay!!!! more new year's info...

i'll be down there for this, and have never experienced it before. technically, no one in our party has..

but i know i'm gonna be decked out in all things glowing so i can be easily found. (i'm a little short thing)

thanks to you all for the information!

Currently obsessed with Grumpy Cat, pro wrestling, and Disney.
                        Been to Disneyland more times then I can count...
                        Lover of Dole Whips and Bengal BBQ
                        Massive wrestling fan.. have Undertaker & Edge's logos tattooed on my shoulders

Comment

Is the low altitude show in DCA worth missing the action in DL??

Great info keep it coming!

Comment

The fireworks at California Adventure are not nearly as good as at Disneyland. However, if you don't like being a sardine, California Adventure is far less crowded at midnight.

Added: There are certain fireworks that can't be used at low level and they are some of the most spectacular.

Comment

Main street at Midnight - on New Years--way too crowded.
                              "Can't move--can't even breathe! Hey watch out for that elbow--no you can't park your stroller on my foot"

A love of Disney that sometimes borders on the edge of crazy ---but I'm okay with that

http://braddisneylandblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Last year was our first NYE at Disneyland and we had an absolutely awesome time. Of course it rained some so that kept the crowds managable.

We headed over to DCA for midnight since it's slightly less crowded. If you stand on Paradise Pier (by CA Screamin') you can see the fireworks from DCA and Disneyland.

Comment

Now that is a great thought sir clinksalot.
                                  I know that all the different fireworks shows have different vantage points. Now is sounds like the hub is the place to be. But is anyone willing to share other places that work to see the fireworks while in DL and does not feel like your life is being sucked away by the crowds?? Of course I am not asking for your secret (would not tell your grandma) places that you watch the fireworks from.

Comment

Now that is a great thought sir clinksalot.
                                    I know that all the different fireworks shows have different vantage points. Now is sounds like the hub is the place to be. But is anyone willing to share other places that work to see the fireworks while in DL and does not feel like your life is being sucked away by the crowds?? Of course I am not asking for your secret (would not tell your grandma) places that you watch the fireworks from.
                                    Actually, Fantasy in the Sky was designed to be seen from anywhere in the park. The fireworks are excellent from just about anywhere. I like being in front of the castle because there is usually a little entertainment (Dick Clarks countdown has been done from there and from IASW.) Also, you get to watch guys propose on the bridge (its fun to watch reactions.) We watched the last 2 years from ROA and the fireworks were great there too.

Comment

Now that is GREAT to know!! I do not mind crowds to much but when I start to feel trapped in it becomes a bit much!
                                      Too bad I am already married I would have like to have been proposed to NYE in Disneyland!!

Comment

Originally posted by brad chowen View Post
                                        Main street at Midnight - on New Years--way too crowded.
                                        "Can't move--can't even breathe! Hey watch out for that elbow--no you can't park your stroller on my foot"
                                        And thats on a "light" New Years Eve event.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X