X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeannie2252
    replied
    Re: Why no Beignets in NOS?

I've only tasted the Mickey ones at Cafe Orleans, and they were hot, crispy (but not too crispy) and soft and fluffy on the inside--with the fruit and vanilla sauce they were to die for! The monte cristo and the pomme frittes were also very good.

Leave a comment:

• KevinYee
    replied

Originally posted by nish221 View Post
    Thanks, Kevin!

Was wondering if & when you'll chime in on this thread.. :-) since Cafe Orlean's your
    old "stomping" ground. :-)

I don't remember the ones at the Mint Julep Bar as being Mickey shaped; but
    I'm pretty fuzzy about that.
    The ones at MJB weren't Mickey shaped... they were puffy rectangles. Take a Tic-Tac box and pretend it's dough, and over-inflate it by pumping in air, and you have an idea of the size and shape of the thing back then. You'd get 3 or 4 or 7 (I don't remember) per serving. I think it was four.

Leave a comment:

• nish221
    replied

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
    Real beignets were once sold from the Mint Julep Bar (this was the mid-90s). They now serve fritters. The Royal Street Veranda has always sold fritters (never beignets).

The Cafe, since its 2006 rehab, has sold the Mickey beignets, pictured in the posts above.
    Thanks, Kevin!

Was wondering if & when you'll chime in on this thread.. :-) since Cafe Orlean's your
    old "stomping" ground. :-)

I don't remember the ones at the Mint Julep Bar as being Mickey shaped; but
    I'm pretty fuzzy about that.

Leave a comment:

• mikeland
    replied

I visited New Orleans a few months ago and the beignets at Cafe Du Monde were not good at all. I'd much rather have a churro.

Leave a comment:

• KevinYee
    replied

Real beignets were once sold from the Mint Julep Bar (this was the mid-90s). They now serve fritters. The Royal Street Veranda has always sold fritters (never beignets).

The Cafe, since its 2006 rehab, has sold the Mickey beignets, pictured in the posts above.

Leave a comment:

• ClubDisCM
    replied

Originally posted by demento57 View Post
    I would be cool to have a Cafe Du Monde in NOS. With their official coffee and beignets.
    I agree, that would be cool. Unfortunatly the family says they will never franchise and will never open a location outside of the New Orleans area.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Chaney
    replied

In January, Vic and I will be visiting New Orleans. We'll stop at Cafe Du Monde and have a beignet and some chickory-laced coffee and think of you all.

Leave a comment:

• Opus1guy
    replied

Originally posted by demento57 View Post
    I would be cool to have a Cafe Du Monde in NOS. With their official coffee and beignets.
    I couldn't agree more. Even if they had to charge much higher than their normal (so cheap I don't think I'll even mention it here) original NOLA location prices.

FYI...last time I was in the goth shop or whatever the old One-Of-A-Kind shop became...they were still selling Cafe du Monde brand beignet mix (and I think chicory coffee too) there to take home. But even using their own mix...nothing's ever as good as the real thing made by them. IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• SCUBAbe
    replied

I've never jad real ones from new orleans, btu the beignets at the jazz kitchen were pretty tasty when they are still hot/warm...once they cool they are not to good.

Leave a comment:

• aerinpegadrak
    replied

Mm, the vanilla sauce on the Mickey beignets is totally to die for. I split an order of them with Sadako at lunch on her birthday, and they were tasty tasty. All warm and fluffy and mmm.... Crap, now I'm hungry.

Leave a comment:

• demento57
    replied

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

Nos
    Cafe' Orle'ans
    Here Is mickey Beignets, you get six Beignets In the photo there are two then. Well some eat and taste then. I have not been to Orle'ans. I do not know was good tasting beignets is.

Leave a comment:

• Brer Bear
    replied

The beignets at DTD are WAY too overpriced. When they first came out, they were pricey, but doable. Now that they know they are a hit, the price went thru the roof! They can keep them for all I care.

Leave a comment:

• SeenTheLight
    replied

Yes, beignets are at Cafe Orleans and Ralph Brennan's. Fritters at Julip bar. Beignets are much better (IMHO).

Speaking of Cafe Orleans, I had the Monte Cristo there recently. It was burned. Disappointed. Always liked it at Blue Bayou.

Leave a comment:

• elly
    replied

the fritters are no where near the same as the beignets!

next time you're at DLR, get an order of fritters in NOS, then go to ralph brennans jazz kitchen and get an order of beignets...you'll totally see the difference

Leave a comment:

• Tigger68
    replied

yeah... they call them fritters.. and I had them at the Mint Julep Bar... but they're similar to beignets... (obviously not quite as good as Dumonde's)... BUT... they serve them now with this Apple-compote-like stuff... it's good... but I thought they use to serve them with a chocolate sauce years ago. And... there's nothing like the chocolate sauce combo to dip your beignet in!

Leave a comment:

• iluvdisney01
    replied

You're right.....they are fritters!

Leave a comment:

• tinkermonkey
    replied

Originally posted by Doofy View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more. I love the beignets at Cafe Orleans but I usually can't eat them right after a meal. It would be nice if they were served at the Royal Street Veranda or the Mint Julep Bar. It would be nice to be able to get them on the go and sit down for Fantasmic!

Mmmm.... beignets and Fantasmic!! That's a tasty combination there! Way better than (don't shoot people!) a churro and fantasmic or a ... what do they have at the Stage Door? A funnel cake? I'd LOVE beignets!! Of course, someone from TDA would read this and say "Cool - lets give them what they want" and add another ODV cart and charge $5 for a small bag of leftovers from Cafe Orleans... Wait - its the year of a million dreams!! Maybe I can get get this dream!!!???

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Originally posted by ClubDisCM View Post
    Yes, they are served at Cafe Orleans. HOWEVER those do not come anywhere near the tastiness of actual Cafe DuMonde beignets.
    You're right. There's 1000 miles between them.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

Beige whats?

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X