Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Transportation Idea at DCA (Armchair Imagineering)

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Transportation Idea at DCA (Armchair Imagineering)

No trollys! Red cars.

I would love a train but, a train is just to big. Look at how much area the DL train takes up, no room for a station in the plaza.

Comment

In fact, the idea for a train at DCA was floated.

The imagineers on the proposal actually had a complete and very well-thought-out plan.

The proposal was presented to John Lasseter a few months ago.

HE LOVED IT!!

Then the proposal was presented to Rasulo and company.

Project basically ended that day.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
        No trollys! Red cars.
        Um, the Red Cars were trolleys.

But more particularly, most of them were interurbans.

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
          Back in the early days of Los Angeles, they had the RED CAR! That was a trolley system that took people to work. I think they would make a great transportation system for DCA because they were relatively small cars, but they were RED!
          The Red Cars weren't small--they were known as some of the largest interurbans around.

And they just didn't take people to work. They took them EVERYWHERE!! Shopping Downtown. Out to Burbank and Glendale. To Hollywood. Along the sand to Redondo. Out to the Valley. To Santa Monica and the West Side. To Long Beach. To Riverside.

Ever wonder why we have "Little Santa Monica Blvd." in Century City? The Red car line occupied the median! Ever see that tree-lined median on Sherman Way? That was the Red Car Line! See those little bolts on the freeway overpasses when you drive on the 101 by Universal Studios? Yep--they held the wire--the Red Car tracks used to occupy the fast lane of the Hollywood Freeway.

The Red Car had more than 1,100 miles of track--more miles than the LA Freeway System.

So yes, the Red Car would make a wonderful addition to DCA. From the turn of the century to the early 1960s, the Red Car was Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
            The Red Cars weren't small--they were known as some of the largest interurbans around.
            When I said that the Red Car was not large, I meant that it would not take up as much space as a train with a line of cars. The system has to be small enough to maneuver around the buildings at DCA. Also, Disneyland has trains and other vehicles that are smaller than the original. I don't see any reason for not scaling down the Red Cars to fit DCA.
            Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Comment

Um, the Red Cars were trolleys.

But more particularly, most of them were interurbans.
              I mean no SF style trollys.

Comment

So yes, the Red Car would make a wonderful addition to DCA. From the turn of the century to the early 1960s, the Red Car was Los Angeles.
                Until Cloverleaf Industries bought it, and RK Maroon's will couldn't be found...

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
                  I mean no SF style trollys.
                  San Francisco operates both trolleys and cable cars. Cable cars are what you usually think of when you think "San Francisco." They work by mechanically gripping a moving cable in the slot between the tracks, below the street. They are the ones that go up the steep SF hills.

The SF trolleys use a trolley pole on the roof to gather electricity from wires above the tracks. Many of the trolleys SF has are historic, but a few of the more modern ones are less appealing, though still historic (the PCC cars).

I'm guessing you're referring to the actual trolleys, and not the cable cars? If DCA used SF style cable cars, I think that would be very cool.

Comment

Ever wonder why we have "Little Santa Monica Blvd." in Century City? The Red car line occupied the median!
                    "Little" Santa Monica Blvd. has entered Yesterland. Several years ago, the City of Los Angeles removed the median to widen the street. While the median is long gone, the Santa Monica Blvd. improvement project is still continuing. Making my daily commute a royal pain in the tukass.
                    "JESUS!!! That's Cold!" -- Walt Disney's final words.

"You hear people talk about, 'I don't think Walt would like this,' or 'I don't think Walt would like that.' You have no idea what Walt would want! No clue whatsoever! Because the people that worked with him day in and day out didn't know what Walt wanted. Walt didn't know what he wanted 'til he wanted it."
                    -- Randy Thornton, Walt Disney Records

Comment

Man, it's been a long time since I've been to Century City!

Comment

Bring Back the Viewliner!!!

And while we're on the subject of transportation in DCA, why not put in a "chair lift" style ride like they have at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk? It could transport from CS over to the big, orange, swinging ride.

My $.02

Comment

I also agree a trolley/red car/ whatever transportation would be good for DCA. But so far I havent really read or thought of a decent way to really bring it out realistically. The transportation in Al's article and part of the placemaking project is the best solution I've heard so far. Also the monorail re-route seems realistic to me. I looked around PP and CA Screamin' and feel strongly it could work.

I think there are 2 obstacles: The parade route that runs right through the center of the park and could the train themeing really work through the other lands? I know something similar to the eletric trolley in TDS has been looked at, and I've actually been on it.

What would make a red car system for DCA unique and different compared to DL's train system would be to have 1 set of trains going clockwise and another set counter clockwise. Every now and then, the track is split into 2 so the trains could pass each other like with TDS's and Main Street's horse carriages.

Hmmm... after saying that, DCA's trolley could go a similar path to the monorail route over DCA. The main station over Sunshine Plaza/Transportation Hub, take the same route as the monorail over HPB, then circle BEHIND H&D and Hyperion Theater and approach TOT from behind (station here), then continue going behind TOT and towards Pacific Wharf (station over the land's backstage gate), then to PP (hmm, this area is a little tricker, I'll think about it more later), a station around the new San Fran area, then perhaps somewhere around or in GCH to meet back up with the monorail route. Hmmm...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                          -Jurassic Park

Comment

Originally posted by filmfreak11 View Post

I know something similar to the eletric trolley in TDS has been looked at, and I've actually been on it.
                            Just so people have an idea of what you're talking about, here's a picture of the Electric Railway in Tokyo DisneySea:

Maybe they can also implement something like the Steamer Boats at Tokyo DisneySea too? But maybe that wouldn't work as well since they only have one lagoon, as opposed to the many waterways in Tokyo DisneySea:

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                              Just so people have an idea of what you're talking about, here's a picture of the Electric Railway in Tokyo DisneySea:

yes yes yes! that looks exactly like what DCA needs! that is awsome
                              Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Comment

I do have an idea for a TDS stlye steamer for DCA. Or also something like what DAK used to have for steamers. ANYWAYS, there would be a Discovery Harbor (technically, an island) on the east side of PP. The water channel would be near the CA screamin launch... basically this water channel would connect the island waterway to Paradise Bay lagoon. The channel is also used for the water barges/floats for the lagoon show.

Check out my DCA improvement ideas in my signature link :P.

Very nice pics TDR fan.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                -Jurassic Park

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X