X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • disneydan
    • Apr 2005

Re: Mint Juleps?

For a while they used to sell mint julep mix concentrate in bottles at the Gourmet store that was where the Nightmare Before Christmas store is now (sorry - it is now another pirate store - but that is for another thread) It was great to take home and mix with vodka! I wish I would have stockpiled it!

Comment

• Spidergrrrl
      is on the rocks
      • Jul 2006

I used to LOVE the mint juleps. They were like a minty lemonade to me, and since I love mint and lemonade, they were perfect - very refreshing on a hot day.

However, I was always the only one in my party (friends, family) who ever cared for them.
      She did it!

Comment

• MadMadameMim
        Magnificent & Marvelous
        • Sep 2006

I like them too! I always have one when I visit Disneyland. :yea:

Happiest Memories on Earth!

Comment

• Opus1guy
          • Sep 2005

Disneyland's version of the Mint Julep is only similar to the real thing in that it shares the same name. While most non-alcoholic "virgin" versions of popular cocktails usually at least resemble their original boozy counterpart...Disneyland's version of this historic cocktail does not, in any way imaginable. Even in appearance! While a real Mint Julep is a "clear" drink in appearance (only cloudy by glass condensation frost or improper mixing)...Disneyland's is a cloudy mix of who knows what (I was once told by a Disneyland foods Manager that two of it's major ingredients were lime juice concentrate and frozen lemonade concentrate). Disneyland's looks more like green Gatorade to me, than any Mint Julep I've ever seen. Real Mint Juleps are brownish in color. Disneyland's are green! Guess they wanted theirs to be green because mint is green...a mental color association kinda thing.

For those that aren't adult beverage drinkers, here's what a real one typically looks like:

If you want to get really traditional about Mint Juleps...they are actually supposed to be served in a Pewter Mug! But that's pretty uncommon these days except in the very most genteel and traditional of Southern hospitable beverage establishments.

Most are served in a tall glass these days like the above photo, even in the South. At the Kentucky Derby (considered by many as the "home" of the Mint Julep)...your posh private Club Level bars still serve in traditional pewter...but the vast majority are served in the tall glass. See this friendly Derby vendor:

I've had Disneyland's many times, but unlike some of the others here, I don't find them utterly repulsive. But then again...I never go out of my way for one either. I don't even think Disneyland's are all that refreshing, myself. Strangely enough, Disneyland's actually make me thirsty!

Now if you wanted a truly sickeningly sweet drink in Disneyland's old days...nothing could beat the "Tahitian Terrace Punch." It was this red sugary drink that tasted like Hawaiian Punch on steroids!

Whenever I drank a Tahitian Terrace Punch, I always felt that I now knew what that sticky red stuff was that folks put in those Hummingbird feeders!

Cheers!
          Last edited by Opus1guy; 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Mac Daddy
            Nikon +Disneyland = :)
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Jun 2005

It may be an acquired taste, but I think Disneyland's mint juleps rock. I had my first one a looooooong time ago. I think it all has to do with location. If you were to take the same beverage and serve it, say, somewhere on Paradise Pier, it would totally suck. But on a warm afternoon in NOS, with those yummy fritters and some great jazz playing...that same Mint Julep is hard to beat.

Comment

• demento57
              n/a
              • Aug 2006

I could never drink one by myself, but I'll sip of other's.

Comment

• elly
                Don't diss my bonnet
                MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                • Aug 2006

i think they're completely hideous but my husband has them every single time we eat at the Blue Bayou
                Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                Originally posted by pratt55
                Elly is adorkable.

Comment

• TTFN92
                  • Oct 2005

I LOVE mint juleps :thumbup: !!! DH doesn't like them but he has one every time I do. My kids like them too. I think they are really refreshing when it is hot. They do loose something when you get them at the French Market out of the fountain, in a paper cup, without the cherry and mint leaf on the sword. The mint julep is something I have to have everytime we go. We are going to WDW in Feb. and I was really bummed to find out that they don't have them.

Thank you for the tip on getting the Creme de Menthe at Starbucks. I've never been able to find it. I'll definitely be looking for it.

They still sell Bubble Up in Idaho Falls. I was shocked when I saw it. They had it along with Dad's Rootbeer. We got a couple of them and brought it back to AZ. They also had Shasta, which I haven't seen in forever either.

Comment

• Tinkerbell
                    Super saucy pixie!
                    • Jan 2005

You know, I used to LOVE the mint juleps at Disneyland, but they changed the base and it's soooo sweet now I can hardly stand it. I still go and get one when I'm there, but I split one with several people and often water it down. I prefer to make my own with the original Disneyland recipe because to me, that's how it's supposed to taste!

Comment

• HDAlien
                      Beep Beep!
                      • Jun 2006

I love them! This past January when we were staying at the GCH, I got one and took it back to my room, added a little vodka..... MMMMMMM!

HDAlien
                      HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
                      "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X