X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dream at Redd Rocketts

Malcon10t,

Good point, thank you. I don't know the business process in how all this gets done, but it would be nice if maybe one family per hour (or any formula) could get comped like that. I would feel like SUCH a schmuck if I were the CM that had to bring the bill to the table after the 'dream' came crashing down.

Comment

It would be cool if they gave CMs more power to do things in general, but especially with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
        It would be cool if they gave CMs more power to do things in general, but especially with this.
        I agree, but Im worried that it would get abused.
        "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Comment

Many of them do, actually. Many have the ability to do small, non-valued (ie a fastpass to a ride and other things that have no monetary value) things that just make you feel good. Generally its the long timers. I have been the recipient and I have seen it done (you see a lot when you people watch the CMs!) There are a lot of neat things they could do with this, that would cost nothing, and still give people a good feeling. Probably why I liked the Pizza Port thing. (I would hope the people were told upfront it was just service and not food being provided.)
          If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
            Many of them do, actually. Many have the ability to do small, non-valued (ie a fastpass to a ride and other things that have no monetary value) things that just make you feel good. Generally its the long timers. I have been the recipient and I have seen it done (you see a lot when you people watch the CMs!) There are a lot of neat things they could do with this, that would cost nothing, and still give people a good feeling. Probably why I liked the Pizza Port thing. (I would hope the people were told upfront it was just service and not food being provided.)
            Great point, as usual.

My last trip to DLR, my pal's fastpass feature didn't work when we first tried it at INDY. In stead of making us go down to City Hall, or whatever, we were given a special fastpass card each, so we could use it to get our fastpasses. Then the CM said, "Once you leave DLR, the other cards will work too, so you can have double fastpasses." That was so nice, so I do know what you mean, it doesn't have to cost a penny to feel like a VIP.

Comment

Originally posted by aerinpegadrak View Post
              If they'd bought the OP lunch, it would have been a prize of monetary value, and so would have had to be administered by the Dream Squad automatron thingy. Since it was just a nice little extra special moment, the CM could give it to whomever they wanted.
              They got two Tinkerbell trading pins, aren't those "a prize of monetary value"? Why not add at least one free food item per person?

Originally posted by EagleWings View Post
              It just seems like the fastpasses and the ears and other things will only go to kids or families. And yeah that makes sense it just makes me feel left out as my only family is my mom so we're not a big group when she goes. I usually go with my friends and we're all teens, I doubt they'd give teens anything we have such a bad rep.
              You've said this in several threads, but if you read the threads about this promotion, MOST of the prizes are random and NOT up to CM discretion. The computer spits out a location and a time (i.e. the exit to Soarin at 11:05am) and they give prizes like the hats, pins, lanyards to the first x number of people at that location... i.e. someone posted in one of the threads that at a particular time, they were just one of 20 people coming out of Soarin in DCA, so they got a prize. It didn't matter who you were with.
              "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer )

Comment

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
                Yeah, I agree. If they plan out all the prizes, but add extra "moments" like this, where Castmembers can take an otherwise mundane experience and make it feel special, why not?
                Agree also. I would love a prize, ANY prize (me LOVES the prizes ), and the biggest prize is just BEING at Disneyland.

That being said... I still can see the "why not comp the meal" camp, also.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooliebear View Post
                  They got two Tinkerbell trading pins, aren't those "a prize of monetary value"? Why not add at least one free food item per person?
                  The pins have relatively little monetary value and are more of a keepsake value. The food has monetary value. Let's say CM A has a bunch of friends who really like to eat at Pizza Port. It would not be hard to have a small group stop by every few days and they have a "Magical Moment", paid for by Disney. No randomness, and all you have to do is be friends with CM A. CM A will make sure you win. Or for a couple bucks, they will make sure you get a large party comped. (We wont even get into the who McDonalds fiasco.)

As long as they were told up front what the "moment" was, I don't have an issue.
                  If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Just to clear a few things up for everyone. First, there was never any hint, clue or indication that our food would be comped. The hostess said we have a table reserved for you and instead of getting our own food, we were being presented with sit down style service.

Second thing, as for the randomness, when my wife asked why we were choosen, she said it was because we looked like a nice family. Take that for what it is worth. That may not have been the whole truth to the answer, but it sure sound better than, "Our computer just spit out, grab guest #437 and give them a dream. So there is nothing special about you other than you walked through the door just then." Personally I think it is more Disney style to say, "You just looked like a nice family so I decided to give you a dream."
                    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DLandFansAZ View Post
                      Just to clear a few things up for everyone. First, there was never any hint, clue or indication that our food would be comped. The hostess said we have a table reserved for you and instead of getting our own food, we were being presented with sit down style service.

Second thing, as for the randomness, when my wife asked why we were chosen, she said it was because we looked like a nice family. Take that for what it is worth. That may not have been the whole truth to the answer, but it sure sound better than, "Our computer just spit out, grab guest #437 and give them a dream. So there is nothing special about you other than you walked through the door just then." Personally I think it is more Disney style to say, "You just looked like a nice family so I decided to give you a dream."

Thanks for the update, and I am so happy you guys got hooked up. It's nice to have an Arizona MCer get some goodies.

I think it would be cool if they walked up to a family that is fighting and complaining and hand them each a used plunger. Then when the family asks why they were chosen, the CM could say, "Because you seem like a family of A-holes'

That is my dream.

Comment

Second thing, as for the randomness, when my wife asked why we were choosen, she said it was because we looked like a nice family. Take that for what it is worth. That may not have been the whole truth to the answer, but it sure sound better than, "Our computer just spit out, grab guest #437 and give them a dream. So there is nothing special about you other than you walked through the door just then." Personally I think it is more Disney style to say, "You just looked like a nice family so I decided to give you a dream."
                        Thanks for explaining that, and Malcon10t (I JUST got the "joke" of your username... malcontent?? ) ) you make a good point, as usual. It would be a shame for it to be something that was abused. Hopefully it was "computer-generated-random", but they were just nice enough to say something kind, like they did.

Comment

And I like this. Because there in no "value" involved, they can give it to "a nice" whoever. But, lets say they comped your meal, and the person handing out the "dream" was a guy who saw a girl he really wanted to get to know better, so he comped her and her 3 girlfriends a free meal. This free meal actually benefits him. And violates the law regarding "prizes of value". Frogberto could probably explain this better. So, I am all for the sit down service (not meal) and picking a nice looking group. I hope they do a lot more of these type of things!

Edited: I want to clarify. If a prize has a monetary value (such as the meal or ears or whatever) then it needs to be random. If a prize has no value other than making someone feel special, then it doesn't have to be random and the CM can just pick the nice looking family/group/girl/guy etc...

I have gotten what I call random acts of kindness in the past from CMs. We had a CM watch us while we attempted to get from Pirates to Haunted Mansion. We were stopped numerous times during this small trek by people asking about the dog. We always allow petting (if you ask first) and we answer any questions. After numerous stops, we were almost at the mansion when we encountered another stop. We noticed a HM CM watching and kind of giggling. She asked and petted and asked if it always took us so long to get from point A to point B. We laughed and said yes. She brings out this yellow pad and writes us a fastpass to Space Mountain (it had just reopened.) It was super nice of her. And we thanked her. We didn't want to tell her we can't use FastPasses as the dog isn't allowed in the FP line and we have to wait in the HA line. It made her feel good doing it, it made us feel good she wanted to give it to us.
                          Last edited by Malcon10t; 10-04-2006, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I think it would be cool if they walked up to a family that is fighting and complaining and hand them each a used plunger. Then when the family asks why they were chosen, the CM could say, "Because you seem like a family of A-holes'

That is my dream.
                            :lmao: And the Phoenix crowd goes wild. If you happen to get your dream, please video tape it as I want to see it.
                            Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

And I like this. Because there in no "value" involved, they can give it to "a nice" whoever. But, lets say they comped your meal, and the person handing out the "dream" was a guy who saw a girl he really wanted to get to know better, so he comped her and her 3 girlfriends a free meal. This free meal actually benefits him. And violates the law regarding "prizes of value". Frogberto could probably explain this better. So, I am all for the sit down service (not meal) and picking a nice looking group. I hope they do a lot more of these type of things!

I think we should have more faith in our CMs. I think a system could be put in place where a CM could just decide to comp a family, group, single person, etc. and just bounce it off their lead and explain why, etc. Or perhaps every 150th order is comped, etc.

Comment

:lmao: And the Phoenix crowd goes wild. If you happen to get your dream, please video tape it as I want to see it.
                                I'll be there in two weeks! I'll let you know my friend.

Comment

I think we should have more faith in our CMs. I think a system could be put in place where a CM could just decide to comp a family, group, single person, etc. and just bounce it off their lead and explain why, etc. Or perhaps every 150th order is comped, etc.
                                  You're right, we should. But, the law states how prizes are distributed, and requires the randomness. It provides a fair playing field to all who come to this happy place! We already have a teen unhappy because she feels families are being given a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrigoon View Post
                                    I understand the thing about monetary value and all that, but I still think it's tacky to do a "dream" thing and still make them pay. I mean, I get why they have to, but given the overall oddity of the promotion, it can't help looking bad.
                                    the table service thing is NOT a Dream Come True....it IS a MAGIC MOMENT!

these are not the same thing. and while they are happening at the same time, are not the same promotion.

magic moments have been happening at the park for a while, they are just happening more frequently at many more locations throughout the park on a regular basis, rather than just happening once a week or so. They are not part of the Year of a Million Dreams!

There are two promotions currently at the resort. They Where Dreams Come True & Year of a Million Dreams. Year of a Million Dreams is the giveaway, Where Dreams Come True is the Company-wide representation of all Disney Parks and Resorts!

Comment

Originally posted by fantoongal View Post
                                      the table service thing is NOT a Dream Come True....it IS a MAGIC MOMENT!

these are not the same thing. and while they are happening at the same time, are not the same promotion.

magic moments have been happening at the park for a while, they are just happening more frequently at many more locations throughout the park on a regular basis, rather than just happening once a week or so. They are not part of the Year of a Million Dreams!

There are two promotions currently at the resort. They Where Dreams Come True & Year of a Million Dreams. Year of a Million Dreams is the giveaway, Where Dreams Come True is the Company-wide representation of all Disney Parks and Resorts!
                                      Sorry, but I have to disagree. When we were entered the CM said, "Have you heard of the Year of a Million Dreams?" and proceeded to tell us that are dream was to have table service. So she was very specific about the fact that it was associated with the "Year of a Million Dreams." Also, the buttons that we were given The Year of a Million Dreams / Where my dream came true. So I'm going to have to go with the fact that even if there are different avenues of distributing the dream prizes, it is in fact all tied into the same promo.

Comment

See, I can buy into that idea much easier. Of course, back in my CM days, I once arranged for a backdoor pass for a couple of ladies simply because they were already having a great day and I wanted to make it just that much more special.

But a free fastpass, while "smaller" than table service with a bill, actually fits the promotion better. It comes out of the blue and has no zinger at the end to be a downer on the whole thing the way a bill is at the end of a "dream" given to you.

I think they'd have done better to call them "prizes" than "dreams". When you elevate it with such a lofty term, you raise expectations.

As far as what I would or would not be "happy with", I think you quite mistake my position. I do think it's nice that they do table service for people, and I would be happy to have it. However, it's counterintuitive to turn around and hand people a bill. It's sorta like saying, gee, we sure like you a lot - but not enough to give up an opportunity to reach in your wallet. It's that zinger on the end, that "WTF moment" that sorta takes the wind out of your sails.

And yet, with a simple word change: from "dreams" to "prizes", they could have kept expectations at the level of what they were actually delivering, and they could have had a chance to exceed them rather than underwhelm.

You know, back in the day, the phrase was "Exceed guest expectations". Not "Promise the moon and underwhelm"

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Comment

Well see...They are technacally, "Dreams" because if you want to win the Golden Fastpass or Dreams Ears and you do get it then Your dream came true.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X