• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brigeet
    replied
    Re: Cafe Orleans

Originally posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Interesting as I have seen some good reviews - maybe things have changed. My wife and in-laws went on July 2 and it was not good. The caesar salad was not tossed - which makes for a difficult time because then I had to tear my own greens and then cut my chicken......just was more work than I wanted and I was having some 'hand issues' due to a pinched nerve (I later found) - so having to do all of this was a double chore. We thought the Monte Cristo's had shrunken and it was in the HEAT of the summer and they kept bringing us these 8oz, ice filled goblets of tea and lemonade - so that being said, we were not all that pleased.

It was in it's 'opening time period' - so many the kinks have been worked out.

OH- and there is this LOUD OBNOXIOUS PIRATE STAGE AND SHOW right outside the veranda where many Cafe Orleans guests sit.
    We went in summer too. I am not fond of the untossed Caesar. I've only had it untossed at maybe one other restaurant ever. I wonder if they'll chop the chicken and greens and toss it if you ask? I will ask next time.

The other thing that bothered me was you were supposed to get a doubloon for spending over $50 at a restaurant or something like that (it was on a sign outside in summer). The waitress gave us two chocolate coins and told us those were the doubloons. We spent $100 for two chocolate coins as a reward? I thought I saw someone else on here get some sort of non-edible souvenir doubloon from there.

I recommend the garlic fries and the Monte Cristo of course. Those are the best! I just have to starve myself before so I can indulge when I go. I can only eat half of the Monte Cristo.

We sat inside because we went during a very warm part of the summer. We couldn't hear the pirate band from the indoor area. Next time, we'd like to probably sit outside and hear the band.

Service was very slow and it was hard to get a refill.

I almost forgot, we ordered the chocolate crepe for dessert. It was awful. I couldn't eat it but my husband is like a garbage disposal and he'll eat whatever I don't at a restaurant. The chocolate was all burnt and crumbly inside of the crepe. We had never had it before so we started eating and then wondered if that was really how it was supposed to taste. It was the same price as the beinets and was very small too.

I will return with my husband soon, since many of you have said that the service has improved. We were just unhappy with how slow it was, mostly. And we laughed at all of those shrimp salads that went by. They look so whacky!

Leave a comment:

• E-ticket
    replied

Originally posted by robotpirates View Post
    I actually like the Seafood Crepes. I had it when they were doing Soft Runs of the restaurant... oh well.
    Ok, I have to ask the question..... am I the only one who had a chuckle at the words "Soft Runs" and "restaurant" in the same sentence? :yuck:

Anyways, I'm the lucky one who Hyperbole referred to earlier as having been overcharged when we ate there recently. When we got the bill, we put two credit cards in the folder and asked the waiter to split the tab evenly. Seems like a pretty simple request, right? He comes back a few minutes later, hands the folder back and tells us that he "accidentally" put the whole thing on my card. We sit staring at him for a few moments, hand the folder back and ask him to go correct the problem. He looks dazed, but takes the cards back and attempts to fix the situation.

He comes back a few moments later to say that he, again accidentally, put the whole amount on both cards. Another awkward silence ensues as he stands at our table waiting for further direction. Again, we send him back to rectify the problem.

Finally, he comes back and announces that the bill has been split appropriately. We sign on the dotted lines and head off to enjoy the rest of our day at the park.

Fast forward a few days later, I'm looking at my bank statement and lo-and-behold, there are two charges on my card, one for the half amount, one for the whole amount. Fortunately I was able to call the resort and give them the details and I've been told I'll see a refund.... in the next week or two.

But you know what? Besides the poor bewildered waiter and the Great Credit Card Debacle of '06 (as I have come to call it), I had a good experience at Cafe Orleans. The raspberry vinaigrette salad (with those caramelized pecans :drool: ), coupled with the chicken gumbo crepes are some good eats! We've been back there once already (no bill splitting this time!), and look forward to going again soon!

Leave a comment:

• Max Fischer
    replied

Originally posted by Hyperbole View Post
    If it was crab or lobster, or shrimp or hell crayfish for that matter, it would be cool. But no, they're not stuffed with anything but canned tuna. :yuck:

That's crazy!!!! They might as well keep on being exotic and throw some fish sticks in there too!!

Leave a comment:

• Hyperbole
    replied

Since I ate them all the way in June, I don't remember what was in them... I don't remember tuna. Crab? Lobster? lol.
    If it was crab or lobster, or shrimp or hell crayfish for that matter, it would be cool. But no, they're not stuffed with anything but canned tuna. :yuck:

Leave a comment:

• Max Fischer
    replied

Originally posted by Frogberto View Post
    I have this embroidered at home: "Thou shall not toss my salad."

Uhh, that's not what your web site says on the section where you describe your jail visitation policy for clients who are incarcerated....

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied

Originally posted by Hyperbole View Post
    But it's not seafood. That's probably my biggest gripe about the crepes. They really should call it Tuna Crepe and stop trying to fool people.
    Since I ate them all the way in June, I don't remember what was in them... I don't remember tuna. Crab? Lobster? lol.

Leave a comment:

• Hyperbole
    replied

I actually like the Seafood Crepes. I had it when they were doing Soft Runs of the restaurant... oh well.
    But it's not seafood. That's probably my biggest gripe about the crepes. They really should call it Tuna Crepe and stop trying to fool people.

Leave a comment:

• robotpirates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SeenTheLight
    replied

I'm glad to hear that the Monte Cristo is generally good. The one time I ordered it at Cafe Orleans, one side was burned. We haven't returned since, but will try it again. I've always enjoyed it at Blue Bayou. It's why I kept going.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by butterflylark View Post
    Ok, I think we understand you didn't appriciate the pirate show. It is to be said, it can be both an attraction and distraction to Cafe Orleans. I personally went to that place at a specific time so I could watch the show while I ate.
    I love that I can see, and yes HEAR them from there.

The pirate show is not constant, it plays every half hour with a break between 12:30 and 1:30 for their own lunch.
    If you don't like the pirates, go between their shows.
    Good idea.

Leave a comment:

• butterflylark
    replied

this is Disneyland and I have pirates yelling in my ears. Not tossing my salad and setting it up pretty is not going to convince me this is a 4 star place.

Ok, I think we understand you didn't appriciate the pirate show. It is to be said, it can be both an attraction and distraction to Cafe Orleans. I personally went to that place at a specific time so I could watch the show while I ate.
    I love that I can see, and yes HEAR them from there.

The pirate show is not constant, it plays every half hour with a break between 12:30 and 1:30 for their own lunch.
    If you don't like the pirates, go between their shows.

Leave a comment:

• Doofy
    replied

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
    The Monte Cristo is as good as always, although I agree that it seemed smaller than the ones I've had at the Blue Bayou, it also seemed a bit less greasy than before.
    I have to take your word that it is smaller since I hadn't been to Blue Bayou in 5 or 6 years before the remodel. It still filled me up. I love the sandwich still. I am always torn between that and trying something new.

Leave a comment:

• KDR
    replied

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
    The Monte Cristo . . . seemed a bit less greasy than before.
    Which can only be a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Jolie
    replied

The gumbo soup "appetiser" was delicious! I wish they had this available as an entree with bread (maybe in the winter?).

The crab sandwich was just okay and I love crab. Maybe it was because I had it without the avocado.

The Monte Cristo is as good as always, although I agree that it seemed smaller than the ones I've had at the Blue Bayou, it also seemed a bit less greasy than before.

The pommes frites were very yummy!

I ate there twice in late July and found service a bit slow, but I liked it enough to make a PS for my October trip.

Leave a comment:

• KDR
    replied

Originally posted by mcow1 View Post
    Originally posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    Where's the Beef?
    At the Blue Bayou in the prime rib!
    Au Contraire. It is at Club 33 in the Chateaubriand!

Leave a comment:

• wickeddisneygurl
    replied

shrimp salad! very good, but very strange presentation! the beignets are good some days and not so good on others. the day i went, they were fairly soft and definitely edible.

Leave a comment:

• Disneyland Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by KDR View Post
    I don't know where it's written, but I have been to several restaurants where the Caesar salad contains untossed and uncut full leaves of romaine. Though the vast majority of restaurants serve a cut and tossed Caesar, it is not an uncommon practice.
    I suppose it's just the arguement of cutting a sandwich and NOT cutting a sandwich...and if you do cut the sandwich, do you cut it on the diagonal or straight down the middle.

Personally - prefer diagonal.

I have been to places where the salad is not tossed, but they are pretty nice places - this is Disneyland and I have pirates yelling in my ears. Not tossing my salad and setting it up pretty is not going to convince me this is a 4 star place.

We might give it a 'go' in the fall/winter - but that Summer day in Cafe Orleans' 'reopening' was rough.

Leave a comment:

• dsnylndmom
    replied

Originally posted by stinkerbell View Post
    As an aside--most chicken caesar salads are not tossed. They should be served in large chunks, and the customer is supposed to cut the romaine and the chicken.

We'll be there on Saturday for lunch! I want the french onion soup and the shrimp salad!
    French onion soup and the crab sandwich for me :razz: trade you bite for a bite

Leave a comment:

• akfandisney
    replied

I suppose. It wouldn't have been a huge issue had I had been having hand problems that day and if it hadn't been 100+ degrees outside and if we had more than an 8oz glass of 'drink' at one serving and if there weren't these SCREAMING MICROPHONED pirates just on the other side of our table.

It was a bad experience for us all around the board. Probably an exclusive experience, and then maybe not.
    The castmember sevice bin ask the manger to get bigger Cup.
    There is not answer for disneyland mangers.

to beat it Ask for two cup of drinks and cup of water

Leave a comment:

• RobotMirror
    replied

In discussions with others, I've always compared service at Cafe Orleans with service at ESPN zone. ESPN zone is so well staffed, that several runners are always available, bringing food, refilling drinks, and handling problems.

Cafe Orleans, on the other hand, is always relying on one server to provide refills, get orders taken, clear the table, and provide the bill. With the multiple tables they are assigned, this happens, when it happens, very very slowly.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X