Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

What a waste

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Speedway
    I apologise if this is in the wrong forum board.

Hi, this is my first post.

I know quite a great deal about both parks in the Resort, despite never setting foot in either. And I don't think Disney's California Adventure should be given the honour of 'Disney park' status - especially when you take a look at the other side of the world and at Tokyo Disneysea.
    Has it ever occured to you that you're just hearing other people's opinions and maybe everyone else isn't as big an expert as they think they are?

I mean obsessive Disneyfiles are never going to be satisfied and many of them who go on and on about Oriental Land Company have never set foot in Japan and only have formed thier opinions from the boards as well.

Get out of the pack mentality and visit DCA with your family, esp some kids and you'll probably have a nice time. It's probably my least favorite among the 6 Disney parks I've been to but it's still more interesting than many non Disney parks. I like it better than Universal Hwood anyways lol.

Comment

DCA is nowhere as horrible as the internet would have you believe. Is it Disneyland quality? No. Should they charge as much for it? Probably not. It is, however, a fun day's trip (you can rush through in a 1/2 day) and the good rides are very, very good. Screamin' and GRR are great, Soarin' is fun, TOT is Indy-quality and a few of the smaller rides (Maliboomer, Ferris Wheel, etc.) are fun. I admit that it's not the best that Disney can do but it's worth visiting at least once.

I'm inclined to agree about TDS, though. Every picture I've seen of that park makes it look absolutely amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by kevdo
        With all due respect, perhaps you should actually visit DCA before calling it a "waste."

Disney Studios in Paris has a bad rep too but for me to post something similar would be ridiculous if I hadn't actually visited before.
        You don't have to bite the donut to know it's sweet.

:monkey:

Comment

I'm just tired of the 'I hate DCA' threads.

Comment

I think this is the one hundreth time SpeedWay has talked bad about DCA that I have seen. We get the point that you don't like it, you are pretty thurough in your descriptions so you obviously have some good things going on, so talk about something else! And I find it hard to respect your opinion when you have not ever set foot in the park?
            Cosmo Kramer: Well I can't go back to the public courses now! I can't! I WON'T!

Comment

Originally posted by figment1986
              I currently think DCa of a mid.. a good.. between poor and excelent.... It has some good things... and some bad.... though untill i see it in july.. I wont have much to say...
              It's very cool that you're getting to come out West for your graduation! The best I can say is try to approach DCA with an open mind (which is essentially what you've already said you would). Admittedly, it's no Disneyland, but it wasn't meant to be. I was there this past weekend for the first time in months, and I tried to approach it from a fresh perspective... and you know what? It worked. We had a great time!

So, what's so great about DCA?

1) It has great food! (sourdough bread bowls made fresh daily!)

2) The E-ticket attractions it has (Soarin, Screamin', ToT) are top-notch

3) It has some truly amazing landscaping, especially around the GRR area (btw, the challenge trail is very cool... it made me feel like a kid again)

4) The Sun Wheel has got to be the best ferris wheel I've been on

5) At night, you can't beat the view around Paradise Pier

6) CM's, which help create a large part of the "Disney feel", are just as friendly as traditional DL

7) For those who are not CA natives, the park really does capture a piece of the uniqueness of CA (those of us who live here are just jaded... don't listen to us!)

8) The Aladdin stage show is fun

9) Far less crowds, especially on busy days, makes for a better experience (fewer stroller-induced ankle and shin injuries is never a bad thing)

10) Beer... margaritas.... wine.... need I say more?
              "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible because dreams offer too little collateral"

--Walt Disney

Comment

When I first heard about DCA, I was a little suspicious of the California theme. Having since been twice it must be said, it's an OK park but it has some huge flaws. As Kevin has said about Imersion Toward Interesting Illusion, I don't feel like I'm in a magical place there, I'm just in an amusant park which has rides. When you go to Six Flags, you dont find yourself immersed in a fantasy world of magic and illsion, your ina na amusment park. Also, Walt Disney started Disneyland because he was tired of the cheap and genrally unclean amusment parks and piers. In DCA there is an entaire land devoted to this! DCA has potential, but it has a ways to go. SO in the meantime DCAt your own risk.

P.S. Somebody PLEASE explain to me what "A Bugs Land" has to do with California. I live in California and i've certainly never seen one around here.

Comment

Originally posted by E-ticket
                  So, what's so great about DCA?

1) It has great food! (sourdough bread bowls made fresh daily!)

2) The E-ticket attractions it has (Soarin, Screamin', ToT) are top-notch

3) It has some truly amazing landscaping, especially around the GRR area (btw, the challenge trail is very cool... it made me feel like a kid again)

4) The Sun Wheel has got to be the best ferris wheel I've been on

5) At night, you can't beat the view around Paradise Pier

6) CM's, which help create a large part of the "Disney feel", are just as friendly as traditional DL

7) For those who are not CA natives, the park really does capture a piece of the uniqueness of CA (those of us who live here are just jaded... don't listen to us!)

8) The Aladdin stage show is fun

9) Far less crowds, especially on busy days, makes for a better experience (fewer stroller-induced ankle and shin injuries is never a bad thing)

10) Beer... margaritas.... wine.... need I say more?
                  In a way I do agree with you... There are many things about DCA that I like... It may be the Polyanna attitude...

The restaurants are great... (With the exeption that they out number the attractions.)

It has the best coaster in the park... (at least untill Space Mountain is back on line)

The park is pretty... almost at every angle, it screams for pictures.

I you go to the palace of fine arts and clap, the CM at the check line will try and do the echo clap that exists in the real building mimicking the accoustics... (That is detail...)

But there is too much I don't like about the park... And I am not going to get started on that list... because it would take up more than a couple of pages... I could write a book why DCA is a complete and total failure of a park... So why do it, when everyone agrees?
                  Check out my other blog:

Comment

I agree with the list as well. The glass is totally half full. BUT..it's the context...

You wait 50 years for the WDC to put a second park in next to the greatest theme park in history... what did they learn? Why was it not the next generation? Instead, we got a collection of things (for the most part) that predated the first park, almost the very elements the first park was supposed to be the antidote to! They forgot what made them number one. It was the "New Coke" of theme parks. It's not bad, it just wasn't up to the standards of the Classic Coke. So don't call it Coke. Don't give us Corn Syrup when we really wanted Sugar and then charge us for Sugar. That's why there is such a reaction, the expectation was not met and the opportunity was squandered. And like a dead Xmas tree, you can hang all the new ornaments you want on it, but it's still a sagging brown pine.

That said, let's all go drinking at DCA! The theme parks all get prettier near closing time!
                    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Comment

I like the coke analogy. Just like the new coke, DCA had one of the biggest advertising campaigns I have ever seen. They all but shouted "look at this fantastic new park, why its just as good if not better than Disneyland!"

Funny thing about all that is, by all reports Tokyo didnt do even half the advertising for their new park, I guess they decided the money was better spent ON the park.

And I hate to be a ride snob, but its a wonder wheel not a ferris wheel. Wonder wheels there are only about 5 remaining on the planet the most well known one at Coney Island. Sorry, I guess its the ride snob in me that really dislikes taking a steel coaster and disguising it as a woody as well... still not sure I can see the point in that. The wonder wheel is the one thing I think DCA really did right, I just wish they had followed more in that direction with paradise pier and put in more almost extinct rides.

Ok so I admit it I am a ride snob. I prefer something historical be recreated faithfully in its context, so just the idea of the coaster rubs me the wrong way, plus there is nothing in the world like the feeling of riding a TRUE woody coaster. Ya gotta have a herky jerky ride if its a woody thats part of the charm!

Comment

Knott's Berry Farm's Ghost Rider, a true wooden roller coaster, is a heck of a lot more thrilling than DCA's Screamin'. Of course, you can't do a loop-de-loop with a wooden coaster, but they should have gone with wood for Paradise Pier ... it would have been more themed. I do like the sand bunker in the circle near the end of the ride, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Importance
                          Knott's Berry Farm's Ghost Rider, a true wooden roller coaster, is a heck of a lot more thrilling than DCA's Screamin'. Of course, you can't do a loop-de-loop with a wooden coaster, but they should have gone with wood for Paradise Pier ... it would have been more themed. I do like the sand bunker in the circle near the end of the ride, though.
                          Actually, you CAN have a loop on a wooden Roller Coaster...

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/travel...l_top_ten.html

The world's only looping wooden roller coaster, Son of Beast is a real heart-stopper. Making its debut in 2000, the ride features a 118-foot loop, after speeding down its 214-foot hill. These features are uncharacteristic of wooden coasters, known for their old-fashioned design and rickety feel.

What's more, Son of Beast practically doubles the standard speed offered by wooden coasters, as it peaks at 78 mph. Still, despite its speed, the fun lasts three minutes, which is pretty long for a roller coaster. When you combine that with its famous loop and spirals, it's obvious Son of Beast is a real son of a b...
                          http://www.coasterbuzz.com/2003-29-662389.htm

You can see photos in this link....
                          Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Well, the loop itself is a bit of steel cheat. Still, I wouldn't mind if DCA had something similar instead of Screamin'.

Comment

We actually enjoyed DCA when we first visited it in July of 2001. We bacame disappointed in our second visit two years later when we discoverd the little subtle nice things that were closed or taken away. If you consider the concepts that were intended in this park, originally it worked very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigertail777
                                I like the coke analogy. Just like the new coke, DCA had one of the biggest advertising campaigns I have ever seen. They all but shouted "look at this fantastic new park, why its just as good if not better than Disneyland!"

Funny thing about all that is, by all reports Tokyo didnt do even half the advertising for their new park, I guess they decided the money was better spent ON the park.

what're you talking about :confused: they hardly had any good advetising at all for DCA

all I got up here in washington was a vague character ad that said "come see the new park right next door to Disneylad" it didn't say anything about the rides and didn't show anything but a reflection of the park's entrance o_o

it wasn't till I went to the website that I found out why

WDW totaly out advertised DCA, AK had tours on the morning news :P there were TONS of ads about it and it's attractions and of course the tree of life

DCA got one thing that only lasted for a month :P
                                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X