This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserect the Peoplemover - CONCEPT

I have heard some great ideas from other folks here on the message board about extending the Peoplemover track to a second hub and actually making it transportation.

Below is a quick mock up of how it might look.

Some things to be considered:
    • Parade Route Height - Going over Small World mall would be difficult, some of the parade floats are very tall and the shear hight of the bridge would kill the view down to Small World. Tunnel with cool electronic displays may be a way to go.
    • Theme disruption - ducking behind storybook may be OK if done discreetly behind landscaping and such
    • Structure Reuse - Modify the quaint alpine skyway landing as the second on/off point (another member had this idea and I love it!)
    • Safety - evacuation routes for the tunel and such
    • Tunel - What would you put in the tunel?
    • How would you brand or theme the attraction reopening?
    Another possible route may be behind the Small World facade with the train. This could run along side the train, past the Toon Town station and back behind the ol' Videoplolis stage to the Alpine station.

Not sure how that one might work.

Anyway, would love to get your thoughts and ideas on this.

Re: Reserect the Peoplemover - CONCEPT

Interesting concept. Problem is, where you have the tunnels, I think that's backstage.
    -Jack :geek:
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

Comment

I like the idea. If they could figure a way to route it it would be great. I do think that in order to keep the theming they would have to do a tunnel and I don't know if that would really work. Part of the joy of the people mover was the great views it gave you.
      Check out my new Disney Blog here. What it lacks in quality it makes up with... Well, nothing I guess.

Comment

Wow, great concept sketch!

Comment

all that track that you have going behind storybookland is backstage.

Comment

Originally posted by matterhornmaniac View Post
            all that track that you have going behind storybookland is backstage.
            Then we dont make it back stage
            Its a cool idea and if they did it they would have to redo the backstage into the ride so I dont know if Disney would do that or not..but its still a god idea.
            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Cool idea!

Comment

Great idea, but I just have a quick question...

PLEASE excuse my ignorance, for I am a humble semi-irregular Disneylander, but what is the enduring appeal of the PeopleMover?

From my understanding it is a transportation system that had a bit of a tunnel involved. What, then, would this do to enhance the park?

Don't take this the wrong way - I am geniunely curious about this, as it is a recent bit of Disneyland history I don't entirely understand.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

It would be wonderful to make the People move an actual transport system

insted of the roundabout layout it has in Tomorrowland.....and you know...Maybe the tunnel can have diffrent things.....maybe like the tron tunnel.....it could take you to a diffrent place.....one part of the Day it could be A Little Mermaid environment...the next could be from Snow White.....so on so forth.....but it would be great to expand the track...that is if they ever re open them

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                    PLEASE excuse my ignorance, for I am a humble semi-irregular Disneylander, but what is the enduring appeal of the PeopleMover?
                    Imagine Main Street USA without an operating train. Rivers of America without the Mark Twain. The Matterhorn without the Skyway. For some people, that is what the Peoplemover is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilsbro_Mclemington_III View Post
                      It would be wonderful to make the People move an actual transport system

insted of the roundabout layout it has in Tomorrowland.....and you know...Maybe the tunnel can have diffrent things.....maybe like the tron tunnel.....it could take you to a diffrent place.....one part of the Day it could be A Little Mermaid environment...the next could be from Snow White.....so on so forth.....but it would be great to expand the track...that is if they ever re open them
                      Now your talkin! Love it!

Comment

I wonder what it would take to undo all the Rocket Rod track or modify it for the more leisurely paced PPM

Comment

Originally posted by woxel1 View Post
                          Imagine Main Street USA without an operating train. Rivers of America without the Mark Twain. The Matterhorn without the Skyway. For some people, that is what the Peoplemover is like.

Thanks, woxel. In that context, I can see what the appeal is now.

I guess it is time to jump on the bandwagon and demand it comes back.

Comment

woxel - that has to be one of the best ways to put it I've seen. Sure, I could go into the kinetics of Tomorrowland... or world on the move... but that keeps it short and sweet and hey, it's true!
                            And on your left, ladies and gentlemen, is The Backside of Water...

Comment

The Peoplemover was kind of an outdoor dark ride, with no plot. The ride itself isn't all that thrilling, but the sights you see while on it are. It twists and turns throughout Tomorrowland, going inside or even through every attraction there. The views are great, the ride is (was, before Rocket Rods) long and relaxing, and it added a great sense of motion to Tomorrowland.

That, and it returning isn't really too farfetched. Asking for the Country Bears or Adventures Through Inner Space to return is one thing, as almost all of the infrastructure for those two attractions was demolished and turned into other rides. In the Peoplemover's case, the track is all still intact, as is the station. To return it would be a project more similar to the Submarine renovation than to building an entire new ride, and since it was always high capacity it seems like a good idea for the park.

Comment

There's nothing more that I miss of my youth at Disneyland than the People Mover. Back then, you'd just run on without a line and take a quick breather... but riding a cool ride with great views at the same time.

I don't think it's a good idea to expand the track to other lands (but I'm glad others are at least thinking about the people mover) because it would really look out of place anywhere else. There's a reason why the monorail only circles around the Matterhorn and not the rest of Fantasyland.

With that said, I hope they bring the People Mover back as it would be a great way to get a lot of crowds out of the way on a 9 minute high capacity ride. It's a ride system that rarely ever fails and it adds a sense of 'motion' that is definitely missing from the NEW tomorrowland... especially since the demise of the skyway and the rocket jets as we knew it.

If anyone gets a chance to meet the current Disneyland President, please bring it up. I did it with the last disneyland president and she said "I don't think we'd ever bring it back". I'm just glad she's out of there along with Paul Pressler.

Subs are coming back. I hope the People Mover can too.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                                http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Cool concept. Love the art work.
                                  I wouldn't mind it going to other lands, the RR does and even goes backstage. What's the problem with that?
                                  I'm sure it would be a big project to run track to the other lands but if you could end up with other loading points that would be a great way to get around the park.

Comment

I like it. Although it would depress me a little to see the Chalet used for another attraction thus ending any chance of the Skyway coming back
                                    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Comment

K firstly I would take it thought the exact same path the old buckets took and over to the old alpine station.

For the theme problem why not take half of the trains and design them like vehicles from the rides in fantasyland and the other half leave like they were for the original peoplemover or use the same idea except for tomorrowland?

for the height problem the floats can be lowered some or just bring in a whole new parade (which would be nice.)

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                        There's nothing more that I miss of my youth at Disneyland than the People Mover. Back then, you'd just run on without a line and take a quick breather... but riding a cool ride with great views at the same time.

I don't think it's a good idea to expand the track to other lands (but I'm glad others are at least thinking about the people mover) because it would really look out of place anywhere else. There's a reason why the monorail only circles around the Matterhorn and not the rest of Fantasyland.

With that said, I hope they bring the People Mover back as it would be a great way to get a lot of crowds out of the way on a 9 minute high capacity ride. It's a ride system that rarely ever fails and it adds a sense of 'motion' that is definitely missing from the NEW tomorrowland... especially since the demise of the skyway and the rocket jets as we knew it.

Subs are coming back. I hope the People Mover can too.
                                        Agreed. The train station is really unlike the People Mover in that the train looks okay to travel on the berm. But PM in other lands, doesn't seem to swing the same way.

That was a great way to explain PM's purpose, Skyway=Matterhorn, etc. I was thinking of "engineless train vehicles" that tracks in and around DCA's Grizzly area that serves the same purpose and probably a cross with FL's Casey Jr train.

I think adding PM stations in Innoventions and above old Fantasyland Autopia area would be good. It can serve as transportation and optional areas to get on/off and continue riding. An Innovention station so you don't have to walk all the way down to ground level. And a sort of attraction addition in that Matterhorn/MBC area to travel to TL.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
                                        -Jurassic Park

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X