• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duckiedianne
    replied
    Re: Week before Christmas?

Originally posted by PJW View Post
    One of the locals may be able to let you know if school is out at that time - it would make a big difference.
    Orange Unified School District runs schools on the year round track as well as traditional track. Kids on the year round track will be out a week before Christmas while the traditional track kids will be out the Friday before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• Radiobarry
    replied

The week between Christmas Day and New Years Day, down through the years has always been perhaps the single busiest week of the year unless there's bad weather.

And I seem to recall that pre-Christmas Friday nights and some weekends were especially crowded last year.
    Maybe since the 50th is over, and we're now dealing with the Year Of A Million Churros, that might be different this time...

--Barry

Leave a comment:

• PrincessLeia
    replied

Originally posted by epmouse View Post
    Ride Max is a great product, but we found we were riding everything we wanted but forgetting to look around and experience the magic. We decided to only use it during the a.m. and let randomness guide us the rest of the day.
    :thumbup:

Very good point on Ridemax epmouse. I agree is it a good idea to use it to get on your "must do" rides with as little wait as possible and that the am is the best time to do that. There is so much more to see and do in the parks than the rides themselves. The randomness that epmouse points out definitely lead to the most memorable moments in the parks and keeps you sane during the busier afternoon time when crowds get busier!

Leave a comment:

• epmouse
    replied

We have found that days prior to and including the 23rd (weekends excluded) had very manageable crowds. Get your priority seating as soon as you can, we reserve ours during our Thanksgiving family expidition. Ride Max is a great product, but we found we were riding everything we wanted but forgetting to look around and experience the magic. We decided to only use it during the a.m. and let randomness guide us the rest of the day. Also the priority seating let us build in the down time we needed for recovering from the crowds. One of our favorites is to sit at Carnation Cafe at first opening on X-mas day and watching the crowds roll in. Plan your fireworks viewing for the first day since the posibility of cancelation runs high that time of year. Use the lockers to hold clothing that may be needed (chilly mornings some days). Have the best time with your family.
    :thumbup:

Leave a comment:

• minnietoo
    replied

Are the hours extended? That is your clue. When the hours are short on weekdays and the park closes at 8 PM DL expects lesser crowds - if the hours are extended - they expect higher crowds. Disney is the experts on crowd perdiction - they are more accurate than any of our guesses.

Leave a comment:

• Mary Read
    replied

Originally posted by PJW View Post
    Last year I was there 2 weeks pre Christmas - crowds were manageable, not too much of a wait for anything except on Weekends. One of the locals may be able to let you know if school is out at that time - it would make a big difference.
    I work for one of the school districts in Orange County and the first day of our winter break is Christmas Day. I would bet that at least half the local school districts will be running on the same schedule as we are. You might be in luck! My family goes to the park that week every year. It can be crowded but the park is so festive that it's well worth it. I think the week after Christmas is far more crowded.

Leave a comment:

• PrincessLeia
    replied

Last year we were there a few days prior to Christmas and Christmas day. Yes, it is crowded, but it is very festive.

If ever there is a time for Ridemax it is during the Christmas season.

My recommendations:
    1. Be prepared to get up and get to the parks early. Bonus: It's so magical first thing in the morning!! If necessary, make a plan to meet sleeper iners at the park later. Let them know they may sacrafice fastpass opportunities if they sleep in...offer them a naptime window in the busy afternoon!

2. Be prepared for lots o people (sounds like you are). Bring a bucket-o-patience.

3. When the crowds seem overwhelming, head to DCA, DTD or back to the hotel for a nap. Planned park breaks are nice

4. Make several Priority Seating reservations at a variety or restaurants in DLR, DTD and DCA. Duplicate and overlap dates/times so you have some options and flexibility. Hungry people are cranky people. Who wants that??

5. If you decide to do Ridemax, tell your family how cool it is, that you will show them a plan so they know they will get to do their fave rides (and when) and show them the estimated short lines. My family thought I was a freak until they saw Ridemax in action and we rarely waited in a line for more than 15 minutes. Well worth the 15 bucks to download their software.

6. Depending on the size of your group/ages etc. let everyone know that there is no need for everone to spend every waking minute together!

It is a very fun time of year to visit DLR!

Leave a comment:

• PJW
    replied

Last year I was there 2 weeks pre Christmas - crowds were manageable, not too much of a wait for anything except on Weekends. One of the locals may be able to let you know if school is out at that time - it would make a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• DLR29
    started a topic Week before Christmas?

Week before Christmas?

Has anyone been the week before Christmas and have any personal experience? Approx. how long were the lines? I have been planning for the worst.

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X