This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to Pirates on Tom's Island

I have been trying to find a solution to all this controversy of Tom Sawyer's Island and pirates. I think I have worked out a solution. I believe that they can coexist! I worked from three assumptions:

1) I believe that there should be a RIDE on TSI to draw people to the island.

2) All the attractions that I understand Walt designed for the Tom Sawyer theme would be kept.

3) I wanted to add pirates to the show.

Here is a picture of it.

I measured out things carefully to see if they would fit.

Buried Treasure Cave [Indicated by the blue line on the island.] I added this dark ride by placing the ride UNDER the current site. Tom Sawyer had a lot about caves. Well, pirates bury treasure in caves, so I thought that it would be an natural mix. My ride takes you through caves which will have both pirates and ghosts. It is not meant to be blood curdling. It is not that kind of ride, it is more of an adventure. But having ghosts there will allow the newest in technology to be demonstrated. Since it is underneath the fort and other attractions, the ride will not take away from the current sights.

Pirate CoveAs you can see the pirates are hardly on the island at all but are adjacent to the area. I added a live action show to train pirate wannabe's. [Indicated by the pink line.] It would be like the current Star Wars show in Tomorrowland. Of course, Jack Sparrow would be the featured trainer. There is a lot of room here that could also allow for a restaurant and shops. I figure that pirate AND villain themed merchandise would work here. It would get all of that out of NOS and return NOS to more of the New Orleans theme.

Since Skull Rock would be added, I thought adding some more story elements from Peter Pan would also be attractive. I added Captain Hook's ship and maybe a tree-house restaurant overlooking the river themed for the lost boys.

Also between Pirate Cove and Skull Rock, I see a boat service to allow people from this side of the island to get over just like the Tom Sawyer Rafts do for the west side.

This probably is a more ambitious pirate make over for TSI than Disney was originally planning, but I believe that this plan solves the problem and still gives the maximum entertainment.

Well, what do you think? Have I offended anyone? I hope that I have pleased as many people as possible.

Re: Solution to Pirates on Tom's Island

Hehe, Teeter TOOTer!

Cool idea, but as we've learned, that would be putting pirate theming next to Frontierland which is a no no to most people... and don't get them started on having Peter Pan Fantasyland stuff near there, yikes, may God have mercy on your micechat soul.

Comment

demento, even in his sarcasm, is right. You've actually just made the problem the cries of foul over far worse.

Comment

Well, I don't see why Skull rock is so attractive to people but not Captain Hook. Remember that the story of Peter Pan not only had pirates but also Indians! I did not see that as that far a stretch to put them together. Well, those elements are not the core of the suggestion. The key in my mind is to somehow incorporate pirates with TSI.

I am trying to imagine myself a child and what I would see as cool! Pirates are definitely cool in any story!

Comment

How about sinking the island and turning it into a Little Mermaid attraction?

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
            While I do think Disney should have a Little Mermaid attraction, I am sure that neither people who are upset about losing TSI or Disney management who wants pirates will be pleased with your suggestion.

I am more interested if you dislike this suggestion or have a better idea.

Comment

somebody should start chanelling Walt to see what he wants.
              sigpicMinnietoo

Comment

A ride would not work becuase the island closes at night...
                And I dont see them taking away a show to put in a ride that will cost them millions...just redo the island but not with Pirates.
                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                  And I dont see them taking away a show to put in a ride that will cost them millions...just redo the island but not with Pirates.
                  They could always put the ride towards the back and include a bridge that only connects to the ride area. Then, put up a blockade making sure that people can only get to the ride and nowhere else on the island during the night. Maybe make it a gate similar to that of Frontierland.

I'm not suggesting this, just coming up with a solution to your comment.

...Joe...

Comment

To be honest I give a lot of respect to JimminyCricketFan. He totally took the idea a different direction. He found a middle ground that would both give traditionalist TSI still, but also give the CEO's their Pirate section.

I think too many of us got caught up in the "No, I want it my way" and didn't even stop to think about compromising - me included.

Thank you Mr. Cricket Fan!

...Joe...

Comment

Well Im not trying to be a jerk, Ive had this idea too but it has many problems to it...which Dinsey may not want to brother with and just take the easy route and make it a Pirates land.
                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

One of the reason that the island closes at night is that there is nothing to do there but explore. Since that cannot be done at night, and Disney does not want people hiding out on the island, they close it. But if there is a ride there, then there is something to do. As the previous poster mentioned, the island can be segregated. I already mentioned that I would put a boat transport from Pirate Cove to the island. That could feed people's going to the ride.

I should remind you that Toontown also closes at night but Disney still put that in.

You say that they should "redo" the island, but what does that mean? Are you saying that nothing should change? I think everyone would agree that TSI is not drawing enough people. Not changing anything seems to defeat any hopes of increasing visitation to the island.

Comment

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
                          While I do think Disney should have a Little Mermaid attraction, I am sure that neither people who are upset about losing TSI or Disney management who wants pirates will be pleased with your suggestion.

I am more interested if you dislike this suggestion or have a better idea.
                          I think this is where you missed it. It isn't so much people upset about losing Tom Sawyer Island vs. Disney wanting more pirates. It is much more people upset about losing Frontierland vs. Disney wanting more pirates.

Comment

One of the reason that the island closes at night is that there is nothing to do there but explore. Since that cannot be done at night, and Disney does not want people hiding out on the island, they close it. But if there is a ride there, then there is something to do. As the previous poster mentioned, the island can be segregated. I already mentioned that I would put a boat transport from Pirate Cove to the island. That could feed people's going to the ride.

I should remind you that Toontown also closes at night but Disney still put that in.

You say that they should "redo" the island, but what does that mean? Are you saying that nothing should change? I think everyone would agree that TSI is not drawing enough people. Not changing anything seems to defeat any hopes of increasing visitation to the island.
                            Redo is in find a new theme that deals with the old America and add some cool things for Famliys (not just kids) to do I just dont want a Pirates theme in a Old America Land.
                            I love the idea of a pirates island but hate where they want to put it. Thats why I said (in another thread) to put it at DCA.
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                              I think this is where you missed it. It isn't so much people upset about losing Tom Sawyer Island vs. Disney wanting more pirates. It is much more people upset about losing Frontierland vs. Disney wanting more pirates.
                              I think I understand the problem. The area that I choose is not seen from the rest of Frontierland. With some creative landscaping, I don't think it would take away the Frontierland theme at all. People would still have Tom on the Island, and there would be a properly themed place to put pirates. The entrance to pirate cove could be a Spanish style. That would go with the desert Southwest style of Big Thunder. Once past the gates, the Spanish style can have some tropical elements. But those would only be seen from within the area. I believe in the Walt Disney approach of small portals that conceal one theme from another.

Comment

Redo is in find a new theme that deals with the old America and add some cool things for Famliys (not just kids) to do I just dont want a Pirates theme in a Old America Land.
                                I love the idea of a pirates island but hate where they want to put it. Thats why I said (in another thread) to put it at DCA.
                                I am all for DCA having more attractions, but pirates is really pushing the California theme out the window.

On the TSI problem, I think that many object to losing Tom Sawyer. I don't think that those people would be happy with another theme.

Comment

My idea is to add a western version of Jungle Cruise with Keel boats taking passengers past scenes, through added waterways in the island, and even a few waterways into showrooms behind the berm.

The story would be that this group of prospectors have discovered a map to the mother load of gold. The Indians warn us as we pass that the caves are protected by the wendingo, a native american mythological creature. At one point you are caught in a cross fire between the calvary and bandits, a live bandit hijacks your boat and continues on. Eventually you meet face to face with the wendingo in a golden cavern. Your skipper returns and gets you out of there as the bandit flees.

TSI could easily be turned into a system of waterways much like jungle cruise. It would also be incredibly realistic as your boat would have to wait while the larger ships passed. And if the attraction was contained to inside TSI and the back areas of ROA, then the attraction would not interefere with Fantasmic!.
                                  Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Comment

I am all for DCA having more attractions, but pirates is really pushing the California theme out the window.

On the TSI problem, I think that many object to losing Tom Sawyer. I don't think that those people would be happy with another theme.
                                    So is Monsters and incredibles but they put them in..just like Bugs land are bugs really part of CA??? The Pirates area would be in the Walf/Pier.
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by minnietoo View Post
                                      somebody should start chanelling Walt to see what he wants.

Oh!!! Break out the OUIGA BOARD!

SUPPORT THE CMs

sigpic
                                      For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

Comment

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
                                        But then it would be the Lakes of America...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X