• Show
Clear All
    JiminyCricketFan
    We all need a Jiminy.

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied
    Re: Solution to Pirates on Tom's Island

Originally posted by Loomis View Post
    Now, I'm not suggesting that this is what should happen in DL. Far from it, as one of my favourite lands is Frontierland and all the Americana trappings that go with it. However, combining several key concepts to make the area far more interactive and less of a pretty picture spot would serve a number of purposes.

I think that bulk of the complaints come down to: (A) the gall of replacing someting Walt personally had a hand in; (B) replacing it with an extension of a ride that doesn't really fit into the land, but is quite popular right now. The key, then, is finding something exciting that will improve the area but stays true to the theme. In many respects, this is what you've done: found elements of different Disney things that would still fit in with something piratey, but are kind of old school and please the long term fan boys who see the POTC phase as a flash in the pan.
    Thanks for the response. I believe that every Disney park should be different and distinct. I don't see any problem with HKDL and TDL being different.

As to Disneyland, I also understand people rejecting the pirate idea because they see Disney's profit motive. But Jack Sparrow is profitable because he is popular. How long that lasts, I don't know. But kids have had the fantasy of searching for buried treasure on a distant island for a few hundred years. That fantasy is what I am working off of. I think it is one both kids and adults love. I think that is the kind of fun that Walt himself would have put in. If today's Disney management only spends money when it is connected to a movie, fine. Just use the money to produce LASTING stories that will be popular 50 years from now. Several Disney movies have pirates. I don't see pirates going away. But I know that the theme is flexible enough to change over time.

I also believe that kids would LOVE to be instructed by Jack Sparrow himself on how to be a pirate. Even if Disney has a profit motive on this, I think many children would have a wonderful time. I see this as an opportunity to further the Disneyland purpose of parents having fun with children together. That is why Disneyland was created after all!

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    replied

Originally posted by aaronpaulcustoms View Post
    Soon they're going to re-evaluate thier attractions: "Hmmm...something is missing from the Tower Of Terror" the imagineer says "i cant quite put my finger on it...but i know we overlooked some detail."

Another imaginner stands up "IVE GOT IT!!! All this time we forgot to add a Jack Sparrow!"

"Good job Morrison! Your promoted! As for the rest of you! Get busy making a Jack Sparrow for the TOT! QUICKLY PEOPLE! WE NEED TO SUCK THE PROFITS OFF OF THIS THING! AND THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT IS TO ADD A JOHNNY DEPP AA TO THE ATTRACTION"

Meanwile...all the Micechatters watch on the sidelines and weep for the future of Disneyland. The spirit of Walt crying from atop a cloud in the distance

the end
    Next thing you know, Captain Hook will be removed from Peter Pan and Jack Sparrow will be put in as well because he is more commercial.

Walt must be spinning in his grave.

Leave a comment:

• Melonballer
    Shablagoo!

• Melonballer
    replied

I'd fill the island with Ninjas to fight the Pirates. Or maybe robots.

Leave a comment:

• aaronpaulcustoms
    YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

• aaronpaulcustoms
    replied

Originally posted by Mathius View Post
    What would they name the Rivers of America to then?

The pirates idea to me still screams, "We can make more money if we add Jack Sparrow into it."
    Soon they're going to re-evaluate thier attractions: "Hmmm...something is missing from the Tower Of Terror" the imagineer says "i cant quite put my finger on it...but i know we overlooked some detail."

Another imaginner stands up "IVE GOT IT!!! All this time we forgot to add a Jack Sparrow!"

"Good job Morrison! Your promoted! As for the rest of you! Get busy making a Jack Sparrow for the TOT! QUICKLY PEOPLE! WE NEED TO SUCK THE PROFITS OFF OF THIS THING! AND THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT IS TO ADD A JOHNNY DEPP AA TO THE ATTRACTION"

Meanwile...all the Micechatters watch on the sidelines and weep for the future of Disneyland. The spirit of Walt crying from atop a cloud in the distance

the end

Leave a comment:

• Quacky4Donald
    Don't Mess With The Duck!

• Quacky4Donald
    replied

Sorry, dude. My overwhelming need to make a funny interfered with my otherwise good common sense.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this proposal, and in theory I agree with much of it. I like the idea of having some kind of rideable atraction out there, as it gives you something to do beyond ride out; have a quick poke about and ride back again. The HKDL idea has ultimately made this area into Adventureland (they have no Frontierland) and stuck Tarzan's Treehouse on an Island that is accessible by rafts. The Jungle River Cruise runs around it.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this is what should happen in DL. Far from it, as one of my favourite lands is Frontierland and all the Americana trappings that go with it. However, combining several key concepts to make the area far more interactive and less of a pretty picture spot would serve a number of purposes.

I think that bulk of the complaints come down to: (A) the gall of replacing someting Walt personally had a hand in; (B) replacing it with an extension of a ride that doesn't really fit into the land, but is quite popular right now. The key, then, is finding something exciting that will improve the area but stays true to the theme. In many respects, this is what you've done: found elements of different Disney things that would still fit in with something piratey, but are kind of old school and please the long term fan boys who see the POTC phase as a flash in the pan.
    Agreed - hands down! :bow:

Leave a comment:

• Mathius
    replied

What would they name the Rivers of America to then?

The pirates idea to me still screams, "We can make more money if we add Jack Sparrow into it."

Leave a comment:

• Loomis
    Vegetarian Disneylander

• Loomis
    replied

Originally posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    While I do think Disney should have a Little Mermaid attraction, I am sure that neither people who are upset about losing TSI or Disney management who wants pirates will be pleased with your suggestion.

I am more interested if you dislike this suggestion or have a better idea.

Sorry, dude. My overwhelming need to make a funny interfered with my otherwise good common sense.

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this proposal, and in theory I agree with much of it. I like the idea of having some kind of rideable atraction out there, as it gives you something to do beyond ride out; have a quick poke about and ride back again. The HKDL idea has ultimately made this area into Adventureland (they have no Frontierland) and stuck Tarzan's Treehouse on an Island that is accessible by rafts. The Jungle River Cruise runs around it.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    Banned User

• Cmash95
    replied

Iposted this in another thread somewhere. just put woody and crew on the island and theme it to them and wallah! you still have a western themed area. granted it's pixar but it still fits in frontierland and would last longer than the flash in the pan pirates. marketings problem is they don't see past maybe one year down the road and just like the overdid stitch in WDW, they are now going to overdue pirates until kids and parents get sick of it.

Leave a comment:

• demento57
    replied

PS Anoter reason TSI closes at night is because if it didn't... alot of kids would be named Tom if you catch my drift...

Same reason it's closed Grad Nites :P

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCricketFan
    We all need a Jiminy.

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied

Originally posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Of course, a few people in this forum don't seem to give a rat's butt WHAT Walt would have wanted, so maybe the question is moot. In the mean time, bravo to Jiminy Cricket Fan for attempting a compromise. I'm not wild about his idea, but it was nicely done. :thumbup:
    I agree that there are many who don't care about what Walt would have wanted. Personally, I do care, but I don't try to figure out what he would have done, but apply the principles that Walt did to the rest of Disneyland. Walt designed for themes that spoke to the inner child. The child within us all. Both adults and kids want to be pirates. Even Mark Twain wrote that Tom Sawyer wanted to run off and be a pirate.

When I tried to find a middle ground, I had to acknowledge that this pirate theme is a good one. After all, Walt loved it too. But even though pirates were put in NOS, I personally feel that they are overwhelming it. New Orleans has a charm all by itself. I feel with all the push to promote pirates that, the charm of New Orleans is currently smothered.

This Pirate Cove would provide not only a place for pirates but also for villains in general. I can see a place to eat and sit looking out towards Skull Rock. On the North side, there could be a villain's stage.

Several have pointed out that the skull rock was not appropriate for Fantasyland. Well, here is a solution that allows for skull rock in a much more natural setting. I know that it is a fantasy, but Walt was not afraid to mix fantasy with reality if it was fun. Remember the sea serpent in the Submarine Voyage!

Leave a comment:

• Mac Daddy
    Nikon +Disneyland = :)

• Mac Daddy
    replied

Originally posted by minnietoo View Post
    somebody should start chanelling Walt to see what he wants.
    We already know what he would have wanted as he was faced with the SAME decision back in 1957. "Treasure Island" was one of the possibilities that was kick around due to the popularity of the movie that came out in 1950. Walt had to choose between Pirates and Tom Sawyer, and he chose Tom Sawyer, knowing that it would tie into the Mark Twain and Frontierland very nicely, whereas the Pirate idea wouldn't work at all.

Sooo.....Walt SAVED the idea of a pirate attraction and used it LATER in New Orleans Square where it was a much better fit.

Of course, a few people in this forum don't seem to give a rat's butt WHAT Walt would have wanted, so maybe the question is moot. In the mean time, bravo to Jiminy Cricket Fan for attempting a compromise. I'm not wild about his idea, but it was nicely done. :thumbup:

Leave a comment:

• Walt Jr.
    It's all about Theme!

• Walt Jr.
    replied

I like the idea! Then both sides can have their way!

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    Elusive Member

• Mountain Man
    replied

This is some very creative stuff! I would agree that DCA isn't quite right for this. The audience perception of theme would be a real challenge here. I've noticed that there are already some problems with flow as you
    walk from the entrance of Adventure Land passing the various elements that do fit together and then, with nothing to really mark the change, you find yourself in New Orleans Square. There needs to be some clear division
    between those two show elements. Once you are in New Orleans Square
    the theme is confused again. There were some very famous pirates doing business in the bayou but instead we have Caribbean pirates. Perhaps the concept of New Orleans Square should be re-themed to something tropical. Just paint the buildings like old San Juan and drop the conflicting theme altogether. No major rebuilding required. Now you have the opportunity to do something great with the current Tom Sawyer Island by recreating the massive stone forts you can still see today in the Caribbean. House the show elements so the old FrontierLand can maintain it's own theme with little interruption in flow.

Leave a comment:

• CowofDisney
    MiceChatter

• CowofDisney
    replied

How about sinking the island and turning it into a Little Mermaid attraction?
    But then it would be the Lakes of America...

Leave a comment:

• aaronpaulcustoms
    YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

• aaronpaulcustoms
    replied

Originally posted by minnietoo View Post
    somebody should start chanelling Walt to see what he wants.

Oh!!! Break out the OUIGA BOARD!

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

I am all for DCA having more attractions, but pirates is really pushing the California theme out the window.

On the TSI problem, I think that many object to losing Tom Sawyer. I don't think that those people would be happy with another theme.
    So is Monsters and incredibles but they put them in..just like Bugs land are bugs really part of CA??? The Pirates area would be in the Walf/Pier.

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    MiceChatter

• Professortango
    replied

My idea is to add a western version of Jungle Cruise with Keel boats taking passengers past scenes, through added waterways in the island, and even a few waterways into showrooms behind the berm.

The story would be that this group of prospectors have discovered a map to the mother load of gold. The Indians warn us as we pass that the caves are protected by the wendingo, a native american mythological creature. At one point you are caught in a cross fire between the calvary and bandits, a live bandit hijacks your boat and continues on. Eventually you meet face to face with the wendingo in a golden cavern. Your skipper returns and gets you out of there as the bandit flees.

TSI could easily be turned into a system of waterways much like jungle cruise. It would also be incredibly realistic as your boat would have to wait while the larger ships passed. And if the attraction was contained to inside TSI and the back areas of ROA, then the attraction would not interefere with Fantasmic!.

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCricketFan
    We all need a Jiminy.

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Redo is in find a new theme that deals with the old America and add some cool things for Famliys (not just kids) to do I just dont want a Pirates theme in a Old America Land.
    I love the idea of a pirates island but hate where they want to put it. Thats why I said (in another thread) to put it at DCA.
    I am all for DCA having more attractions, but pirates is really pushing the California theme out the window.

On the TSI problem, I think that many object to losing Tom Sawyer. I don't think that those people would be happy with another theme.

Leave a comment:

• JiminyCricketFan
    We all need a Jiminy.

• JiminyCricketFan
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think this is where you missed it. It isn't so much people upset about losing Tom Sawyer Island vs. Disney wanting more pirates. It is much more people upset about losing Frontierland vs. Disney wanting more pirates.
    I think I understand the problem. The area that I choose is not seen from the rest of Frontierland. With some creative landscaping, I don't think it would take away the Frontierland theme at all. People would still have Tom on the Island, and there would be a properly themed place to put pirates. The entrance to pirate cove could be a Spanish style. That would go with the desert Southwest style of Big Thunder. Once past the gates, the Spanish style can have some tropical elements. But those would only be seen from within the area. I believe in the Walt Disney approach of small portals that conceal one theme from another.

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    Adventure First, Ad Last

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

One of the reason that the island closes at night is that there is nothing to do there but explore. Since that cannot be done at night, and Disney does not want people hiding out on the island, they close it. But if there is a ride there, then there is something to do. As the previous poster mentioned, the island can be segregated. I already mentioned that I would put a boat transport from Pirate Cove to the island. That could feed people's going to the ride.

I should remind you that Toontown also closes at night but Disney still put that in.

You say that they should "redo" the island, but what does that mean? Are you saying that nothing should change? I think everyone would agree that TSI is not drawing enough people. Not changing anything seems to defeat any hopes of increasing visitation to the island.
    Redo is in find a new theme that deals with the old America and add some cool things for Famliys (not just kids) to do I just dont want a Pirates theme in a Old America Land.
    I love the idea of a pirates island but hate where they want to put it. Thats why I said (in another thread) to put it at DCA.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X