X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Year of a Million Disappointments

Originally posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Yes, the Dream FASTPASS is good only for the one person, and is why they are handed out in "batches", such as the first 50 people exiting Indiana Jones starting at 11:34 AM. Hopefully everyone in the group will win one, but there is no guarantee.
    Are you using this as an example, or is this a fact they do this at Indiana at this time?? If so, I'm SO there!

BTW, does anyone know what the CMs are looking for to hand out those new lanyards/pins? I collect pins and REALLY want one. I've seen four year olds walking around with them and I'm pretty positive they have no idea what they are.

I'm going this weekend with my six year old cousin and I pretty much want to tie her to a pole and wave her around like a flag to win one of these prizes, but I'll refrain.
    Last edited by MaleficentFan; 10-10-2006, 05:02 PM.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!! :yea:

Comment

The believe the program is detrimental to the future of Parks and Resorts, which will eventually lead to the guests. The promotion hypes something that has always been a part of the Disney parks. I fear this is driven by one of two things. Either to make the norm seem elevated to establish a new, lower norm; or for Disney to save face for future, more serious employment problems. This though, is not the worst crime of the campaign.

Comment

So they're giving away cool stuff at random to people who come to the park. I didn't think people would find a way to complain about that, but hey - proven wrong once again.

Comment

I think that the original intent of this thread was not to bash the "Dreams" that are being handed out. Instead, it was to say that a program that has been going on for YEARS is being used in a way it was not intended to be used. Magical Moments have been going on for quite some time now, you may not have heard of them, and quite frankly that IS THE POINT!! It was a program that was intended to be a suprise where a cast member would do something a little extra for a guest. It was not wide scale and NOT advertised. Now because Disney realized that there were not enough "Dreams" to hand out they have taken that program and advertised it and made it a wide scale and expected thing. After this promotion maybe Magical Moments will go back to the way they were but they will now be known and almost expected and it wont be the same to receive one in the future.

Now, can both "Magical Moments" and YOAMD co-exist, sure they can and it may work wonderful for the course of this promotion. Just not sure that the wonderful little "Magical Moments" program will be the same after it.

Comment

Originally posted by MaleficentFan View Post
            Are you using this as an example, or is this a fact they do this at Indiana at this time?? If so, I'm SO there!

BTW, does anyone know what the CMs are looking for to hand out those new lanyards/pins? I collect pins and REALLY want one. I've seen four year olds walking around with them and I'm pretty positive they have no idea what they are.

I'm going this weekend with my six year old cousin and I pretty much want to tie her to a pole and wave her around like a flag to win one of these prizes, but I'll refrain.
            It was an EXAMPLE...

You have to be at the RIGHT place at the RIGHT time to win a prize, and your not sure what you will win...

The best bet, you want the new Dream Pin Lanyard, enter by mail, the cost of entering is about as the same as the retail value of the Pin Lanyard...

More info here....

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37937
            Last edited by Darkbeer; 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM.
            Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

Originally posted by MaleficentFan View Post
              BTW, does anyone know what the CMs are looking for to hand out those new lanyards/pins? I collect pins and REALLY want one.
              Its randomized, meaning a computer printout will tell them where to go and when. The print out might say 50 lanyards at 2:17pm at the exit of the Autopia. So, at 2:19pm, the next 50 people thru the exit will get a lanyard.
              If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Comment

Re: The Year of a Million Disappointments-For MiceChatters

Originally posted by TheSwami View Post
                Disneyland is running a new promotion?! Quick, to the internet! I have to complain about this as soon as I can!
                I think this thread should be renamed, The Year of a Million Disappointments-For Micechat. Yes, it makes you wonder, what will MiceChat complain about next week? or, actually, how will they complain about this new promotion next time?

Anything I get for free from Disneyland, whether it be a Churro, a Dole Whip, a Fastpass, table service, special seats for a show, I would be happy. But you guys keep whining about it as if it's a crime to give away a Special Fastpass or table service, especially to all the people who go all the time. I'm on DisneyKat and TheSwami's side on this. Get over it! Creating countless threads complaining about the same damn thing is not going to make it go away.

What's next for MiceChat, the way a Nametag looks?

Comment

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/200...f_a_milli.html

I've spent a few days at the parks since October 1st and have read many accounts online of others winning prizes as part of the Year of a Million Dreams contest at Disney's U.S. theme parks. Along the way I have noticed a major inconsistency with the way the rules say prizes will be awarded and how it is happening in practice. The rules state that in order to be eligible for an in-park prize you just have to be in park (or Downtown Disney) to have a chance to win. They also state that everyone is eligible, unless you're excluded by a personal or business relationship to the Mouse.

What I've noticed is that many of the prizes are handed out in the entrance or exit queues for rides that have height or medical restrictions.

It's my feeling that practice violates the spirit of the rules and possibly the letter (however, Disney can change the rules whenever they want). It might also violate the ADA and other anti-discriminatory laws and regulations in Florida.

It also has the affect of awarding some 'batch' prizes (lanyards, fastpasses, etc) to some members of a party, but not to others who can't go on that ride (which is something I thought Disney was trying to avoid).

If I went to Disney expecting to have a fair chance to win but found out I was being excluded by belonging to a 'protected class', I'd be miffed to say the least. A litigious person might consider filing suit.

I hope Disney considers changing this practice of using attraction queues to restricted attractions soon. It's not like there aren't dozens of other attractions, restaurants, pathways, etc for them to select as distribution points. Why they chose to discriminate is beyond me.
                  Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Comment

When I think of the millions of dollars this advertising campaign is costing Disney, and what the so-called "prizes" are in reality, your chances of winning, etc... I'd rather they increase the pay rate of the cast members with those funds.

Increasing the pay rate will decrease the massive turnover rate. Increasing the pay rate will improve morale. And happier cast members will improve every guest's experience at the parks. Not just a lucky few.

Increasing cast member salary is a win-win for everyone.

Except for the suits in Burbank, like Rasulo. Who is the primary beneficiary of this half-baked promotion.

It's not a "Year of a Million Dreams" for the guests. More like "Year of Dreaming of Millions in Executive Compensation" for the suits.

YOMD was designed as a means to obtain further salary increases, perks, and bonuses for "improving the bottom line" for the parks and resorts. Forget the workers on the front lines. Forget their high turnover rate. Forget the long-term health of P&R. Just offer some silly contest in the short-term and promote the heck out of it to sucker less attentive visitors to the parks to spend their hard-earned money.

Enough is enough is enough.

:yuck:
                    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Comment

So I've been following this thread for since its start... and I just now thought, "Hmm... I'm going to go re-read the original post." And guess what... 95% of the posts in response to the OP are off topic. This thread isn't about the Year of a Million Dreams, but about the Magical Moments that CMs have been able to provide for a number of years already and the fact that packaging it and promoting it may devalue it in future years after the promotion is over. Yet everyone (with the exception of a few posts) is talking about the churros and fast passes etc.

This thread wasn't intended to be about the YOAMD. The title is kind of misleading in that, but post #1 makes it clear that this is about what will happen to Magical Moments with this YOAMD going on.

I don't know how well it will function after YOAMD is over. It kind of depended on people not knowing about it for maximum effectiveness. Will be interesting to see if they just quietly stop talking about it and depend on peoples ability to forget quickly that which isn't harped on constantly.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

I think that's what really is at the core of it all people going off topic on the YOAMD and not focusing on the "magic moments" that were already in place.

Instead there are people going off topic and people feeling other people want the world, etc.

My only off topic part is that, if you're you're going to offer a "magic moment" associated with YOAMD, do it right. Pull all the stops, it's about DREAMS. Dream BIG, not small. I'm done with that part.

Getting back to the point, "magic moments" are supposed to be spontaneous things that happen just because CMs decided to choose someone or some group and provide some magic.

I could post the list of magic moments, I've looked it up and seen it before at work. It's scattered between food locations and other various spots.....but I won't so no to ruin the magic.

The company just has to make sure to keep things spontaneous feeling and not forced.

I just don't think magic moments should have been under the YOAMD banner. Just part of the overall expected experience EVERYDAY at DL.

Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post
                          I think this thread should be renamed, The Year of a Million Disappointments-For Micechat. Yes, it makes you wonder, what will MiceChat complain about next week? or, actually, how will they complain about this new promotion next time?
                          Originally posted by DisneyGeek75 View Post
                          I think that the original intent of this thread was not to bash the "Dreams" that are being handed out. Instead, it was to say that a program that has been going on for YEARS is being used in a way it was not intended to be used. Magical Moments have been going on for quite some time now, you may not have heard of them, and quite frankly that IS THE POINT!! It was a program that was intended to be a suprise where a cast member would do something a little extra for a guest.
                          Yes, EXACTLY. Ironic that everyone who is coming in here and calling Micechatters a bunch of whiners are the ones who are off-topic (yes, I have been guilty of some off-topic myself). They're accusing this thread of something it's not really doing, and missing the OP's point: why have a campaign to make light of nice surprises CM's have been doing all along? Why take away the surprise and spontenaity?

For everyone who's calling MC'ers whiners, geez, what are you doing? :lol: This is a DISCUSSION board, which means in discussing the pros and cons, sometimes yes, people WILL discuss the "cons".
                          "A bad day at Disneyland is better then a great day at work." ~ Max Fischer )

Comment

Originally posted by Tooliebear View Post
                            :lol: This is a DISCUSSION board, which means in discussing the pros and cons, sometimes yes, people WILL discuss the "cons".
                            My answer is moving a little :ot: - but you are so right. Some folks don't seem to get that. And . . . sometimes some folks will post the opposing response just to keep the discussion alive and lively - its all fun!
                            sigpicMinnietoo

Comment

Re: The Year of a Million Disappointments-For MiceChatters

Originally posted by InnerSpace View Post

Anything I get for free from Disneyland, whether it be a Churro, a Dole Whip, a Fastpass, table service, special seats for a show, I would be happy. But you guys keep whining about it as if it's a crime to give away a Special Fastpass or table service, especially to all the people who go all the time. I'm on DisneyKat and TheSwami's side on this. Get over it! Creating countless threads complaining about the same damn thing is not going to make it go away.

What's next for MiceChat, the way a Nametag looks?
                              Couldn't agree more, but those name tags........

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X