This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made ride models

I was driving to Disneyland with my family and stopped in St. George Utah for a bite to eat. This was in July and Pirates had just re-opened. I was so excited to get there I didn't eat but instead decided to re-create the battle scene from Pirates of the Caribbean.

You can't see it too well in the first photo but I attemped to build the fort out of my toast and little cannons from pieces of straw I bit off. There is even a "Hidden Mickey" on the wall of the fort. Anyone else done the same thing?

Re: Home made ride models

This one time I made a model of the burning settlers cabin with french toast and the candle from the table. I made the settler out of sausages with a toothpick sticking out of his back and he was laying across the butter container all dead and stuff.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Very clever. I think MiceChat should have a potluck party with all of the food arranged to look like scenes in rides.
      The daydream princess

Comment

I can bring tamales that look like the topiaries in fron of IASW!
        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
          I can bring tamales that look like the topiaries in fron of IASW!
          rofl! I'd make Splash Mountain logs out of celery and a drop made out of peanut butter. The briar patch would be made of pretzel sticks.
          The daydream princess

Comment

LOL, that's so awesome! ... But for some reason when I look at your "ship," all I see is a gecko skiing, which is weird, because I just saw a real gecko skiing over the weekend.

(I'm sorry. I'm totally lying. It was actually a chameleon snowboarding.)

I've never quite made a ride model like that, but I used to use those twisty wire things that keep bags of sliced Wonder Bread closed-and-fresh to created mini-roller-coaster tracks. I did one that had like 30 loops in it and crazy-degree drops ... I called it "The Wrath Of God," partly influenced by the second Star Trek movie... and God.
            Magic Journeys...

Comment

Originally posted by roxystar68 View Post
              rofl! I'd make Splash Mountain logs out of celery and a drop made out of peanut butter. The briar patch would be made of pretzel sticks.
              I will now attempt to create the teacups attraction from real teacups! I can spin them on the tray of the waitress, (crash!)

-nevermind.
              Last edited by poltergeist; 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM. Reason: lousee speeling
              Tikiforum.com - A new community dedicated to Tiki culture

Comment

Originally posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
                LOL, that's so awesome! ... But for some reason when I look at your "ship," all I see is a gecko skiing, which is weird, because I just saw a real gecko skiing over the weekend.

(I'm sorry. I'm totally lying. It was actually a chameleon snowboarding.)

I've never quite made a ride model like that, but I used to use those twisty wire things that keep bags of sliced Wonder Bread closed-and-fresh to created mini-roller-coaster tracks. I did one that had like 30 loops in it and crazy-degree drops ... I called it "The Wrath Of God," partly influenced by the second Star Trek movie... and God.
                I see the gecko too. as far as really seeing a chameleon skiing, everyone knows they are cold blooded and wouldn't lst 5 minutes in the snow.

trying to pull my leg...
                Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Well since we are talking about homemade models, I will share a model I built too.

These are all posts I made in the "Crafty Chatters Club."

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
                  Okay I built this model in 12th grade out of regular house hold appliances such as plaster, vasoline, and coffee tin cans.

It is suppost to represent an unraveled film strip, and when you go through the revolving doors at the front of the building, you enter the film itself. (The attraction is a 3D film.)

This is called "Friendship Fountain." It is located to the right of the theatre and is in front of the small muppet museum.
                  (In the back left is Grover, then Beaker, Honeydew, Ernie, Bert and Elmo.
                  In the front left is Cookie Monster, Statler, & Waldorf.)

[QUOTE]
                  Originally posted by Disney Wrassler
                  More pics of the Theatre:

"Rainbow Connection" fountain to the side of the Theatre with Piggy & Kermit in a boat:

Revolving Door:

Overlay:

Kermit at the top of the building:

Barkley sitting at the direction pole:

Clearer image of "Rainbow Connection Fountain":

Clearer image of "Friendship Fountain":
                  (PS I meant to say before, Cookie Monster is in back of Grover, not in front. Whoops.)

What I meant to say in this post was that everything that was not made with plaster was made with FOAM Board .

Well here is how I did the revolving door. I got a big piece of poster board and built the building on that. Then where the front entrance is, I made measurements and cut out enough of the plaser (The front of the theatre is made out of plaster strips) so that the door could fit into it.

The door itself is also made of posterboard. I cut out each panel door (There were four panel doors in all) and glued them all together. Then to add "glass" to the door, I just cut out pieces of plastic sandwich bags and glued them to the back of the doors.

Then, I inserted a thin wire in-between all the doors. It was long enough so that there would be plenty of wire still showing at the top and bottom of the doors.

So when it came time to putting the doors in the area of plaster I cut out earlier, I had to poke a hoke into the Poster board, put the piece of wire that was hanging out from the bottom of the door through that hole and then I bent the wire underneath the posterboard. Then I hot glued the top piece of wire to the back of the entrance building.

Then the glue dried and the door is now able to be manually revolved around .

I hope that made sense.

For the muppets, I got pictures of them off of Google, cut them out, traced their outline onto the posterboard and etched out the outline I made. Then I carefully and smoothly applied Super glue to the posterboard cutouts and put the image onto that.

I used superglue because the average glue tends to get all clumpy and at times can cause printer inks to smear. Super glue does not seem to make the images smear. If it accidentally gets on the pics you printed out, it may just get them darker.

I made the front of the building by getting big and medium sized tin coffee cans. I took off their wrappers and only covered one side of the can with vasoline. Then I applied one round of wet plaster strips going horizontal on the vasolined tin can and then applied another set going sideways over the horizontal strips. I then let them dry over night.

I think I might have applied something after the strips dried to make them stronger, but I forget what it was. It was some sort of gel so maybe some of you might know what I am taking about. Anyway, when everything was done drying, I easily took them off of the coffee cans and hot glued them onto the area they needed to be on my big piece of posterboard.

Other than that, I used posterboard to build the sides, inside, and back of the building.

The green "Bushes" you see outside of the entrance are really Fozzy and Kermit cut outs, just covered in glue and green glitter .

Comment

thats not made of food...
                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

the OP is f'ing awesome, bravo
                      Will there be screams when the sun sets,
                      -=Is It October Yet?=-

Originally posted by Tinkermonkey
                      elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
                      Originally posted by pratt55
                      Elly is adorkable.

Comment

[quote=Disney Wrassler;1006672]Well since we are talking about homemade models, I will share a model I built too.

These are all posts I made in the "Crafty Chatters Club."

GREAT pics! and good job with the model, you used plaster and styrofoam it looks like right?

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                          thats not made of food...
                          No, but I did use coffee cans, and Coffee is sopmething people consume, there's the connection :lol:.

GREAT pics! and good job with the model, you used plaster and styrofoam it looks like right?
                          Plaster and foamboard

Comment

I don't make ride models, but I do study Art and have done paintings. My sig is of one painting, but I am not allowed to use Image hosting sites, so its the biggest you're gonna see it. Sorry.

Very clever little 3D theatre DW, and Jawn Jarvis, never would have thought that Butter would become POTC!
                            Last edited by Scorchio; 10-10-2006, 11:50 AM. Reason: missed out stuff.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X